Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
Re: Slavery vs. Min. Wage Jobs [Re: Xlea321]
    #954400 - 10/12/02 02:18 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

So you believe if we all worked hard enough everyone on the planet would be millionaires? All 6 billion of us?

It's actually around 7 billion now. hehe
I don't think that's what they're saying anyways.

Sometimes extreme examples aren't any good for point-making.
I think it is safe to say that no one here is talking about "making it" (by an industrialized country's standards) in third world countries (what's PC for that now?)... so right there we've cut out about two thirds of the world's population.

I also don't think that anyone is claiming that EVERYONE can be a millionaire or whatever. I think all they're saying is that if you're doing everything you can to help yourself... then 99.99% of the time you're going to experience a little "upwards mobility". Clear?

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: Slavery vs. Min. Wage Jobs [Re: Sclorch]
    #954692 - 10/12/02 07:17 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

I don't think that's what they're saying anyways.

Lets hope not.

Sure we can all do a bit better than we are doing but there are ways and means of doing that. Trying to do it on your own doesn't work. It was only when unions were formed that ordinary people got the right to an education, decent working hours and conditions. And it wasn't easy - a lot of people died to give us those rights.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: Slavery vs. Min. Wage Jobs [Re: ]
    #954715 - 10/12/02 07:47 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

But I absolutely will not have a minimum wage next year because I am sick of this bullshit. So right now, I am taking steps to change it.

That's the right thing to do. No one is going to drop a great job in your lap -- you have to go out and grab one. Kudos to you.

There is a direct connection between the personal philosophy you hold and your earning potential. If your philosophy holds that your existence is dependent on others, that others OWE you a living, you'll receive little more than the bare minimum that can be extorted from others and passed off to you.

If your philosophy holds that you and only you are responsible for furthering your own existence, you can go much farther... IF you choose to expend the effort.

So here is someone who has a minimum wage job claiming that it is your own fault to be stuck with one, I say for any substantial period longer than you want it let alone your whole life.

Agreed. One of my biggest regrets is wasting seven years in a dead-end unionized job. It was the first job I got after my minimum wage job, and at first it paid about double the minimum wage. By the time I left it paid just under triple the minimum wage, but I was disgusted at the laziness and incompetence and the outright ripping-off of the employer that was going on. I don't exaggerate when I say that most of the people I worked with would end up working, AT BEST, half-speed for maybe a total of 5 hours each 8 hour shift. And they would still whine and go out on strike at the drop of a hat.

So I moved into the non-unionized business sector and made more money the first three years than I had made the previous seven. BUT... I put in a hell of a lot more hours every week, took no breaks and just twenty minutes to wolf down a sandwich for lunch (many days I wouldn't eat at all), spent my few days off studying, took maybe three weeks total vacation in a five year stretch, etc.

I don't say my way of doing things suits everyone's spiritual and philosophical makeup -- many people are quite content to work just enough hours to get by, and use their free time for non-monetary pursuits such as meditation and spiritual exploration. Nothing wrong with that.

pinky

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order