Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Penis Envy Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSyeinStrife
People Don't Like Me
 User Gallery

Loc: Rubber box
MAOI enhebetors and/or 5-htp
    #9443925 - 12/16/08 01:52 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

so if you were about to eat some mushrooms and you were somewhere that had both st. johns wort (MAOI enhebeter i think) and 5-htp in the house what would you take to help out with the tripp? and why? thanks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleCognitive_Shift
CS actual
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: MAOI enhebetors and/or 5-htp [Re: SyeinStrife]
    #9443950 - 12/16/08 01:57 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Taking MAOI and 5-htp is not the best idea.  I don't know anything about the root but 5-htp interacts with the enzyme decarboxylase to form new serotonin.  If you take an MAOI and 5-htp you might have a unhealthy balance of serotonin in the synapse.  I'm sure you will survive, but i would advise against it.

--------------------
L'enfer est plein de bonnes volontés et désirs

OfflineSyeinStrife
People Don't Like Me
 User Gallery

Re: MAOI enhebetors and/or 5-htp [Re: Cognitive_Shift]
    #9443996 - 12/16/08 02:04 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

well i understand that 5-htp is serotonin and works well with extc but someone said it was good with lsd as well.

is st.johns an MAOI? i have done this with once with a two once wet little guy and i tripped for around 7 hours. it was a powerful little guy PE strain. i think a lot of the tripp has to do with the st johns i took though.

InvisibleCognitive_Shift
CS actual
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9444010 - 12/16/08 02:06 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

No 5-htp is not serotonin.

5-htp = 5-hydroxytriptaphan

(Serotonin) 5-ht = 5-hydroxytriptamine

Don't be mixing an MAOI with that kinda shit man.

--------------------

OfflineSyeinStrife
People Don't Like Me
 User Gallery

#9444025 - 12/16/08 02:09 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

ok so no to the mixing ok... which one would you take seperate then?

InvisibleCognitive_Shift
CS actual
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9444029 - 12/16/08 02:10 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Well st johns wort is a toxic plant its self.  So i would not advise taking it, but if your going to DO NOT take is with an MAOI.

--------------------

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

#9444433 - 12/16/08 03:30 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Cognitive_Shift said:
Well st johns wort is a toxic plant its self.  So i would not advise taking it, but if your going to DO NOT take is with an MAOI.

What?  St. John's Wort is an effective MAOI that helps with depression and mood lifts.  It can cause photosensitivity in high doses, but it's not toxic unless you're ingesting bottles at a time.

Also, 5-HTP provides the building blocks for serotonin.  It's not immediately converted into this, so I wouldn't worry too much about any interactions with a MAO inhibitor--if you were taking constant, massive doses of 5-HTP along with MAOIs, you might have to worry about a slight chance for serotonin syndrome, but you have essentially nothing to worry about if you only took a few pills of 5-HTP before taking the MAOI.

As for synergizing with mushrooms, I would advise seeking out an MAOI that doesn't have as many complex interactions as St. John's Wort, such as Syrian Rue, a pharmaceutical MAOI, or passion flower.  Take some 5-HTP after the trip to restore your serotonergic system back to full functioning, but taking it during might possibly kill the psychedelia.

--------------------
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

OfflineOphanim
The Molecule'sSpirit
Male

#9444464 - 12/16/08 03:34 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

St John's Wart is an SSRI, isn't it?

5-HTP is more likely to stunt your trip. It contributes to the creation of serotonin, which is just going to mean more things battling for control of the receptors that psychs use. For use with E, it's best to preload the 5-HTP, but take none the same day as the MDMA. 5-HTP will not enhance psychedelic trips.

MAOI's will magnify the experience to an extreme degree, but it might not be pleasant. Realize that the MAOI usually adds its own characteristic to the trip. A lot of people enjoy this, but my experiences have not made Rue and I friends.

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

Re: MAOI enhebetors and/or 5-htp [Re: Ophanim]
    #9444485 - 12/16/08 03:38 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Ophanim said:
St John's Wart is an SSRI, isn't it?

St. John's Wort is certainly an antidepressant, and it's likely that it behaves in a manner similar to SSRIs.

Again, taking 5-HTP with it is unlikely to produce serotonin syndrome, unless you're taking massive quantities of both.  The reason for this is 5-HTP does not instantly produce more serotonin in the synapses; it only provides building blocks that are then slowly metabolized into the neurotransmitter.

I've taken both in combination, and at fairly medium to high doses, with no negative effects.  Multiple doctors have also combined the two without any harmful results.  The main thing you have to watch out for when combining St. John's Wort with other drugs is avoiding other SSRIs.

http://www.doctormurray.com/articles/worteditorial.htm
http://www.raysahelian.com/stjohn.html

--------------------
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

InvisibleCognitive_Shift
CS actual
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: MAOI enhebetors and/or 5-htp [Re: deCypher]
    #9444526 - 12/16/08 03:45 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Sorry cyph when i was reading up on St Johns wort the article used "toxic" as a replacement word for invasive, noxious or unwanted plant in south east Europe.

I misinterpreted the text:sorry:

--------------------

OfflineSyeinStrife
People Don't Like Me
 User Gallery

Re: MAOI enhebetors and/or 5-htp [Re: deCypher]
    #9453225 - 12/17/08 10:49 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

deCypher said:
Quote:

Cognitive_Shift said:

What?  St. John's Wort is an effective MAOI that helps with depression and mood lifts.  It can cause photosensitivity in high doses, but it's not toxic unless you're ingesting bottles at a time.

Also, 5-HTP provides the building blocks for serotonin.  It's not immediately converted into this, so I wouldn't worry too much about any interactions with a MAO inhibitor--if you were taking constant, massive doses of 5-HTP along with MAOIs, you might have to worry about a slight chance for serotonin syndrome, but you have essentially nothing to worry about if you only took a few pills of 5-HTP before taking the MAOI.

As for synergizing with mushrooms, I would advise seeking out an MAOI that doesn't have as many complex interactions as St. John's Wort, such as Syrian Rue, a pharmaceutical MAOI, or passion flower.  Take some 5-HTP after the trip to restore your serotonergic system back to full functioning, but taking it during might possibly kill the psychedelia.

Thanks for the info. Any other MAOI you can name me?
These two where all I had in the house but I didn't end up taking either. I did though have an awesome time in the woods behind my house. It was kind of nice but the cold made it lonly. I only meet one guy with his dogs and he didn't seem like he wanted to chat. :frown:
A week ago I walked the same trail and came across two 18 and 19 in this car the pasanger rold down he's window and was like whats up dude you smoke? and we proceeded to smoke some pretty good shit. only in my town... :bigblunt:

InvisibleCognitive_Shift
CS actual
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9453359 - 12/17/08 11:11 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Syrian Rue is another natural MAOI

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Penis Envy Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder