Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflinePlasmid
Absent
Male

Re: Top Three favourite books/series? [Re: Dude96]
    #9454904 - 12/18/08 08:29 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

1.  James Jones' trilogy about WWII: From Here to Eternity, The Thin Red Line, and Whistle (From Here to Eternity is my favourite novel)
2.  Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut
3.  Inside the Third Reich by Albert Speer

--------------------
Absent.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblearainbow
Hippy

Loc: Palnet Earth
Re: Top Three favourite books/series? [Re: Plasmid]
    #9456095 - 12/18/08 01:17 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

all and everything series by George Ivanovich Gurdjieff

--------------------
There is more joy in heaven over one of us perfected,
  than over ninety-nine naturally evolved angels.

OfflinePsilo_Subliminal
Delta
Male

Loc: Dagobah
Re: Top Three favourite books/series? [Re: Room4Shroom]
    #9456145 - 12/18/08 01:25 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Top Series of all time for me is the "His dark materials" by Philip Pullman, cosisting of The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife, and The Amber Spyglass.

Im probably gonna catch some shit for that, but thats likely because of that pathetic excuse for a movie they came out with. If you hated the movie, read the book. It will change you whole perspective of it. And the entire series is :awesome:

Then its The Riftwar Saga, buy Raymond E. Feist, starting with the "Magicians Apprentice" and ending at the most recent installment of "The Wrath of a mad God"

and last but certianly not least is the entire Narnia Series written by C.S. Lewis. Again, if you hated the movie, read the books, 10X better.

and off the subject of fantasy and fiction my 4th favorite would have to be "The Universe in a Nutshell" written by Prof. Stephen Hawkings

--------------------
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."

OfflineDragonChaser
Ice in Her Ass and Pussy
Male User Gallery

#9456284 - 12/18/08 01:57 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

1. Dune
2. Wheel of Time (Dune and WOT tied for first)
3. There are too many I might name as third.  I'm reading this series called "Saga of the Seven Suns" and its pretty good so far.  I loved the Vampire Chronicles, Anne Rice in high school, but reading them now, they seem cheesy.  I liked The Sword of Truth a lot, but I tried going over the first book again and I thought it was cheesy, but I remember the series gets better after the first book.

--------------------
My name is Mud

OfflineDude96
Stranger

Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Re: Top Three favourite books/series? [Re: Grizvok]
    #9462458 - 12/19/08 02:38 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Grizvok said:
Quote:

Dude96 said:
Quote:

Grizvok said:
I'm actually on the final book of the Tawny Man trilogy, this and the first trilogy were fucking brilliant.

1. Wizard's First Rule (by far)
2. Farseer Chronicles
3. Probably Harry Potter

I would reccomend Malazan, books of the fallen then...imagine the farseer chronicles but on a larger scope with more characters. The descriptions are in some cases disturbingly vivid but so perfectly explained yourl eft with a horrendous image painted in your mind.

(An example was one soldier who had always been known for his generally stoic pesonality and charming smile takes a mace across the nose/upper cheek bone in battle. Tearing out his eye, caving in the majority of his cheek, removing his nose and his ear, but leaving his smile intact.

The image of that won't leave my head, it was one of those pause, absorb what you just read, and sort of think 'woah'.

Well, man to be fucking honest with you I have taken a break from reading this last book for 2-3 weeks now. I've just become so inter-connected with the series that after the end of the first trilogy I was extremely angry at how the book ended. It just pissed me off and it wasn't a bad ending but I was just so dissatisfied. Fitz just gets screwed over, he is used by absolutely everyone, and the love of his life becomes lovers with his mentor. It's just fucked up to be honest. I hope the ending of his older life gives me an ending that will let me rest in peace.

Its why I loved it so much - it shows a lot of truth to life and how the world is, The malazan books are similar they portray the cruel side of humanity so perfectly that you really cant help but be pissed off and the fact a book can legitimately cause emotions usually is seen as a good sign by me :smile:

And I encourage you to finish the series, the last one can't be summed up by anything other than 'utterly fucking epic'

--------------------
"We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that our eyes once watered."
-Tom Stoppard

"He who makes a beast out of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."
-Samuel Johnson

I will be a cancer upon you, ravaging all that you love and sundering your beliefs. Then, and only then, once you have fallen so far and are but a shell of that which you once were, I will grant you your every dream.
Only to crush them all before your eyes. You doubted my willpower, you abused my generosity, and now you will recognize my cruelty.
-Anonymous

InvisibleGrizvok
I Yam what I Yam
Male User Gallery

#9462576 - 12/19/08 03:02 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Dude96 said:
Quote:

Grizvok said:
Quote:

Dude96 said:
Quote:

Grizvok said:
I'm actually on the final book of the Tawny Man trilogy, this and the first trilogy were fucking brilliant.

1. Wizard's First Rule (by far)
2. Farseer Chronicles
3. Probably Harry Potter

I would reccomend Malazan, books of the fallen then...imagine the farseer chronicles but on a larger scope with more characters. The descriptions are in some cases disturbingly vivid but so perfectly explained yourl eft with a horrendous image painted in your mind.

(An example was one soldier who had always been known for his generally stoic pesonality and charming smile takes a mace across the nose/upper cheek bone in battle. Tearing out his eye, caving in the majority of his cheek, removing his nose and his ear, but leaving his smile intact.

The image of that won't leave my head, it was one of those pause, absorb what you just read, and sort of think 'woah'.

Well, man to be fucking honest with you I have taken a break from reading this last book for 2-3 weeks now. I've just become so inter-connected with the series that after the end of the first trilogy I was extremely angry at how the book ended. It just pissed me off and it wasn't a bad ending but I was just so dissatisfied. Fitz just gets screwed over, he is used by absolutely everyone, and the love of his life becomes lovers with his mentor. It's just fucked up to be honest. I hope the ending of his older life gives me an ending that will let me rest in peace.

Its why I loved it so much - it shows a lot of truth to life and how the world is, The malazan books are similar they portray the cruel side of humanity so perfectly that you really cant help but be pissed off and the fact a book can legitimately cause emotions usually is seen as a good sign by me :smile:

And I encourage you to finish the series, the last one can't be summed up by anything other than 'utterly fucking epic'

I'm sure that I'll finish it at some point relatively soon, but I just can't handle another ending like the first trilogy. The world is just so fucked for Fitz. Although, it has become QUITE apparent in this final book that Starling is actually in love with him, despite what it is she might say.

I guess I am just a sucker for happy endings.

Offlined33p
Welcome to Violence

Loc: the shores of Tripoli
    #9463290 - 12/19/08 05:11 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

1. Mount Analogue: A Novel of Symbolically Authentic Non-Euclidean Adventures in Mountain Climbing - Daumal
2. Starship Troopers - Heinlein
3. Dancers at the End of Time - Moorcock

--------------------
I'm a nihilist. Lets be friends.

bang bang

OfflineDude96
Stranger

Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    #9469403 - 12/20/08 09:15 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Grizvok said:

I'm sure that I'll finish it at some point relatively soon, but I just can't handle another ending like the first trilogy. The world is just so fucked for Fitz. Although, it has become QUITE apparent in this final book that Starling is actually in love with him, despite what it is she might say.

I guess I am just a sucker for happy endings.

:lol: from what you've said the ending DOES NOT turn out as you are expecting it to, although I doubt you will be disappointed however..for the first two of the tawny man series, don't expect a sudden turn up.

--------------------
"We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that our eyes once watered."
-Tom Stoppard

"He who makes a beast out of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."
-Samuel Johnson

I will be a cancer upon you, ravaging all that you love and sundering your beliefs. Then, and only then, once you have fallen so far and are but a shell of that which you once were, I will grant you your every dream.
Only to crush them all before your eyes. You doubted my willpower, you abused my generosity, and now you will recognize my cruelty.
-Anonymous

Offlineboxcarguy07
Uno
Male User Gallery

Loc: SC
    #9469417 - 12/20/08 09:19 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I really love reading and getting into a good book but sadly I don't do it too often.

That being said, some of my favorites in no particular order:

1. Jurassic Park and JP2 by Crichton
2. Ender's Game by orson scott card
3. The Worthing Saga by the same

--------------------
:musicnote:Music doesn't stop at the ears when it begins at the heart.:musicnote:

:psychsplit:"Sit in reverie and watch the changing color of the waves that break upon the idle seashore of the mind."
            -Henry Wadsworth Longfellow:psychsplit:

OfflineShamanintraining
Junkhead
Male

Loc: Rough Raleigh Flag
    #9469426 - 12/20/08 09:22 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

1. Animal Farm
2. 1984
3. The Odyssey or Gilgamesh

--------------------

"Leave your mind alone and just get high"

InvisibleCrasher
αἱρετίζω
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Tardy to the Party
    #9469486 - 12/20/08 09:32 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Atlas Shrugged/The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand
Valis trilogy of Philip K Dick
1984/animal farm George Orwell

--------------------
Give me silence, water, hope;
Give me struggle, iron, volcanoes...

Offlineouthere4
Anomaly
Male User Gallery

#9469514 - 12/20/08 09:38 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Brave New World, Breaking Open the Head, Catch 22, 1984, Slaughter House 5, Dune series, The Foundation trilogy, The Self Aware Universe, The Web of Life, Power of Now...

edit: I loved Eye of the Dragon by King and how could I forget The Fountainhead! I'm tentatively adding 2012: Return of Quetzcoatl by Pinchbeck as well.

Edited by outhere4 (12/20/08 09:39 PM)

Offlinevigilant_mind
unfazed
Male User Gallery

Loc: boco
    #9469537 - 12/20/08 09:41 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

1. All of Carlos Castaneda's books.
2. Junky by William S. Burroughs.
3. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson.

OfflineJT
Male User Gallery

Loc: athens Flag
Re: Top Three favourite books/series? [Re: Psilo_Subliminal]
    #9469603 - 12/20/08 09:57 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Dude i know what you mean. i named my cat lyra after the girl in His Dark Materials haha. the movie really doesn't do the series justice...although nicole kidman is EXACTLY who i pictured throughout the story as Ms. Coulter.

so...

1. Dune (Frank Herbert)
2. Hyperion/Endymion (Dan Simmons)
3. His Dark Materials (Phillip Pullman)

Honorable mention goes to the Illuminatus! trilogy. That series is a total trip.

Offlineunbeliever
Yo Daddy!
 User Gallery

Loc: Gallifrey
    #9470007 - 12/20/08 11:17 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

In no particular order:

The Dark Tower Series - Stephen King
The Gap Series - Stephen R. Donaldson
Return of the Archwizards - Troy Denning

The last one is subject to change, depending on my mood. Alternates would include the 2 book set Ilium & Olympos by Dan Simmons, The Thomas Covenant Chronicles by Stephen R. Donaldson and the Hyperion Series, by Simmons.

--------------------
Happiness is a warm gun...

InvisibleCameron
Too Many Words
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: Top Three favourite books/series? [Re: unbeliever]
    #9470267 - 12/21/08 12:05 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

The Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling rests at number one for sure. Re-reading them now, I can find fault in the style and the subject matter with ease; but as each new book was released, I would devour it in a matter of several days. For sheer addictive power, this has got to be the best series I've ever read. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

The Hyperion/Endymion quadrilogy by Dan Simmons sits at number two. An evil(?), many-spiked, ruthless killing machine; time travel; machine-core pseudo-Gods; and a perpetually drunken, profanity-spewing poet. How can you go wrong?

Lastly, I think I'll go for the Ender quadrilogy by Orson Scott Card. The first book was amazing, but mostly for its action and its semi-believable story of child geniuses, their failures, and their successes. (Ender was almost too perfect, I thought.) And as the series continued, the books got even better. Orson delved deep into the philosophy of religion and human/alien rights and relations. I thought it was a very touching and heartfelt story by its finale.

OfflineBig_Whoop
giver of two shits
Male User Gallery

Loc: southern ontario Flag
    #9804557 - 02/15/09 08:42 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

the best book evar: (IMO)

The Three of swords by fritz leiber

its the first three in series of six, about Fafhrd and The Grey mouser, undoubtedly the best swordsmen who ever lived.

--------------------

the pillars of the universe are taking a break at the moment, please call again

OfflineRight_Away
Stranger

Re: Top Three favourite books/series? [Re: Big_Whoop]
    #9804691 - 02/15/09 09:04 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

1. His Dark Materials (Agreed. The movie sucked)
2. American Gods
3. Catcher in the Rye

...and for comic books, read anything by Grant Morrison, Alan Moore, Neil Gaiman, or Garth Ennis

Invisiblestinkybritches
"surprise!"
Male

Loc: NY
Re: Top Three favourite books/series? [Re: Plasmid]
    #9804705 - 02/15/09 09:06 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

1. the bearenstien bears
2. goosebumps
3. teddy ruxpsin

OfflineLouiscypher
The Ancient One
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Great PNW
Re: Top Three favourite books/series? [Re: stinkybritches]
    #9804777 - 02/15/09 09:15 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

This whole series is interconnected.

Dies the Fire (Emberverse I)
S.M. Stirling's trilogy "Dies the Fire"

Published 2004-2006
  1. Dies the Fire
  2. The Protector's War
  3. A Meeting at Corvallis

The Sunrise Lands (Emberverse II)

1 The Sunrise Lands
2 The Scourge of God
3 The Sword of the Lady - to be published 2009(?) [7 sample chapters]
4 The High King of Montival - to be published 2010(??)

Waiting for the last 2 books.

Island in the Sea of Time

published in 1998 - 2000
"Island in the Sea of Time" trilogy, where the island of Nantucket and the U.S. Coast Guard training ship "Eagle" are thrown back in time to 1250 BC.

Island in the Sea of Time 
Against the Tide of Years
On the Oceans of Eternity

--------------------
1) Cars can hurt you.
2) You cannot fly.
3) It's never a good time to die.
4) Taking your clothes off will draw attention.
5) Keep your mouth shut at all times while in public.
6) Although you may see things that are not there, you won't NOT see things that are there.
7) Don't forget how to breathe.
8) Only carry: a house-key, some loose change, and your address in your shoe.
9) Nobody can tell that you are tripping until you tell them "I'm tripping".
10) No matter how fucked-up you think you are, you'll eventually come down.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order