Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Culinary Arts, Gardening and Brewing

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   Amazon Balsamic Vinaigrette, Delicious Bacon

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineLiquidSmoke
My title's cooler than yours DBK

Loc: S.A.G.G.Y.B.A.L.L.S.
Dinner at Melisse
    #9407007 - 12/10/08 05:02 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

So i've eaten at several one starred places such as tre venieze and several places in new york and las vegas.  Usually I don't take the michelin rating very seriously because there's such a lack of a scope of restaurants rated.

But trying a two star place for the first time is pretty exciting, you really get to see the next level in fine dining and technical skills of a chef.

Melisse earned its second star not too long ago, and the buzz is that they're in the running to becoming the first restaurant in southern california to earn a third star, which is huge.

I had to give the place a try, and picked a date when Joseph Citrin himself would be working in the kitchen.

Usually at most highly regarded restaurants i've been to, there's only one or two dishes that really stand out as being really really impressive.  But a place that's rated two stars, there definitely should be alot more of these experiences.

After dinig here, and trying each dish, I can say with some confidence now that the difference between one and two michelin stars is quite noticeable.

Amous Bouche:

Scallop tar-tar served with a shot glass layered with roasted garlic mous, fennyl flan, and a citrus oil on the bottom. 

Very strong, pungent, interesting flavors, quite a risky but good amous.

Duo of foie gras patay's, one with sundried tomato, the other with roasted wild mushrooms.  From left to right, Balsamic reduction, lime jelly, citrus jam, apricot jam.  It was served with these small mini toasted loaf breads to shmear it on.

Very fun dish, mixing and matching all the various combinations of jams and reduction with the foie. 

Potatoe and leak soup, with a potato and oyster hash, caviar

Lobster Bolognese, fresh campelini, white trouffle foam

Bacon-wrapped monk fish fillet served with roasted figs

Main Lobster thermidor cooked in Court Bouillon, spinach puree

Lamb loin, leg, shoulder, eggplant puree, roasted peppers

Prime Rib Eye and Beef Cheek Ravioli, Heirloom Carrots,
Wilted Winter Greens, Bordelaise Sauce

cutting open the ravioli with the braised beef cheek....

uh oh! my flash went off....

Brown Butter Orange and Quince Tart, Creme De Orange,
Plum Wine Ice Cream

Sticky Toffee Pudding, Mocha Malt Ice Cream, Red Berry-Hibiscus Consomme

Chocolate souffle, white chocolate ice creamsicle, chocolate vanilla pudding, fudge pastry

Passion Fruit Parfait, Coconut Sorbet, Lemongrass, Banana tweel

Now, i can go on and on about the technical skill of the chef, and his signature abraisive approach to presentation, sense of seasonality, textrual combinations, etc. etc. etc.

but all i'll say is, everything was friggin delicious. 

I also got a picture with Joseph Citrin himself, which was pretty cool.  He may very well become one of those famous chefs you'll rarely be able to ge to see working in his own restaurant again, so you gotta appreciate them while they're still in the throws of being world reknowned. 

For example, when you go the French Laundry, you may be dining for Thomas Keller's visions, but you're getting Corey Lee's food.

Anyhow, I was blown away completely.  Probably one if not thee best fine dining experience i've had.

--------------------
"Shmokin' weed, Shmokin' wizz, doin' coke, drinkin' beers.  Drinkin' beers beers beers, rollin' fatties, smokin' blunts.  Who smokes tha blunts?  We smoke the blunts" - Jay and Silent Bob strike Back

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleCalifornia
A E S T H E T I C S A T A N
 User Gallery

Loc: H A U N T E D H O U S E Flag
Re: Dinner at Melisse [Re: LiquidSmoke]
    #9410337 - 12/11/08 02:18 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

how long did it take for it to be served/eaten?

how long would it have taken you to eat the same thing in the comfort of your abode?

what did you drink with it?

what were your two favourite dishes?

OfflineLiquidSmoke

Re: Dinner at Melisse [Re: California]
    #9411440 - 12/11/08 10:23 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

it was actually served at a pretty fast pace for being a multiple course dinner.

probably finished everything in about 2 hours or so.  i didn't order matching wines this time around because i was driving home after the meal.

if i had all the dishes at home, i could probably scarf it all down, but the beauty of having one course served in sequence is that the dishes don't get cold, and everything that comes out is freshly cooked.

it was honestly hard to pick two favorite dishes, because honestly, everything was pretty impressive.  the foie and the thermidor were probably the most memorable though.  that and the plum wine sorbet.

--------------------
"Shmokin' weed, Shmokin' wizz, doin' coke, drinkin' beers.  Drinkin' beers beers beers, rollin' fatties, smokin' blunts.  Who smokes tha blunts?  We smoke the blunts" - Jay and Silent Bob strike Back

Invisiblecaphillkid
Coquus Boleti

Loc: Jet City
    #9444650 - 12/16/08 06:01 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Good effort on the tricky French spellings.  Potato leek soup was the first thing we did at culinary school beside basic taillage (knife skills). 

amuse bouche  (happy/excited mouth)

pate de foie gras

OfflineLiquidSmoke

Re: Dinner at Melisse [Re: caphillkid]
    #9444708 - 12/16/08 06:09 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

yeah i was sure i was going to butcher alot of the french spelling before i created this thread.  :P

--------------------

Invisiblemagikgrl
~Inevitable~
Female User Gallery

Loc: Michigan
    #9444865 - 12/16/08 06:34 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Curious as to the price for the meal? Looks great though.

--------------------

"In the 60s people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal...go figure."

Becoming human was not part of the plan...

I wish I could be as high as my tolerance-danlennon

Reality is a crutch for those that can't cope with drugs.

OfflineLiquidSmoke

Re: Dinner at Melisse [Re: magikgrl]
    #9444996 - 12/16/08 06:58 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

it came out to be about $250 including tax and tip.

It's not something i do very often, nor is it something i can regularly afford.

it's more of a yearly hobby, a brief splurge if you will.

--------------------

InvisibleStein
Stranger
 User Gallery

#9448313 - 12/17/08 04:55 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Looks extravagant, but let me get this straight, you only get 3 thin slices of ribeye?

I think I'd have punched a waiter that evening.

OfflineLiquidSmoke

Re: Dinner at Melisse [Re: Stein]
    #9451365 - 12/17/08 07:54 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

i would've paid more for a big bowl of those braised beef cheek raviolis.

that thing was amazing.

i mean yeah the portion on the steak is small.  but what you pay for is obviously the variety of dishes and components, not to mention the technical skill of the chef.

if anything had been cooked improperly, i probably would've complained.  that might sound snobby, but when you're paying that much you do expect everything to be cooked perfectly.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   Amazon Balsamic Vinaigrette, Delicious Bacon

General Interest >> Culinary Arts, Gardening and Brewing