Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds USA West Coast Strains   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineKagenical
Stranger

Bleach Fumes
    #9448311 - 12/17/08 02:55 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I live in a climate with about 90% RH at all times. There isn't a surface in my entire house that doesn't have some sort of black mold contamination on it.

Therefore, I inoculate in a glovebox, and have had great success so far, using lysol wipes to sterilize the inside of the thing. Now, I only had access to bleach this round, so I used a dilute solution of about 5% bleach to water to sterilize the inside of the glovebox.

Now, I'm just wondering if I swabbed the bottom of my tinfoil lid "lid" (the extra layer of tinfoil that goes, tented, over your main jar lid) with this 5% solution, does anyone thing it might precipitate down into the jars...

There's no chance of an actual droplet of the solution entering the jars, just maybe an evaporate product.

These are all BRF jars by the way, half pint's.

Any input guys? I don't foresee a problem, but I leave for 12 days Thursday morning, and would much rather clean the lids out with water before I go than come back to stalled jars.

Happy Holidays :wink:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineElixier
Awesome

Re: Bleach Fumes [Re: Kagenical]
    #9448334 - 12/17/08 03:04 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

You should be OK.  There should be no need to bleach your foil though.  It is made under high temperatures so it comes out of the box "sterile".  Also you are going to end up pressure cooking it anyways, right?

Offlinegethyn
MR.STINK FINGER
Male User Gallery

Loc: first row at church
Re: Bleach Fumes [Re: Elixier]
    #9448345 - 12/17/08 03:09 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

dont over think your good,:cheers:

--------------------
I RESEMBLE THE REST

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Re: Bleach Fumes [Re: gethyn]
    #9448407 - 12/17/08 03:28 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Your lid should be wiped with an alcohol swab before inoculations just incase anything has landed on the lid.

Maybe you should have your walls treated with anti fungal paint. You do not want black mould growing in living conditions. Black mould spores are very bad for your health.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

Invisibleseven
Male

Loc: north carolina
Re: Bleach Fumes [Re: veda_sticks]
    #9448706 - 12/17/08 06:54 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

If you use bleech for cleaning : use a ten percent mixture.

--------------------
grind

OfflineHybridprX
Biodegrader of coir
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: Bleach Fumes [Re: seven]
    #9448709 - 12/17/08 06:55 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Bleach will not harm mycelium but it will kill spores, you should be fine.

--------------------

Offline2Cents
Male

Loc: PNW Flag
Re: Bleach Fumes [Re: veda_sticks]
    #9448710 - 12/17/08 06:55 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

black mold is pretty fucken bad....probably should get that taken care of

--------------------
Long live the Shroomery!!!

OfflineKagenical
Stranger

Re: Bleach Fumes [Re: 2Cents]
    #9450139 - 12/17/08 01:44 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah, the mold problem in my place is fairly bad... It's hard to avoid in a rental property (I'm only living here for school) on the west coast (200 inches of rain a year sometimes). I've never had a single contam at my main residence, now I lose 20% of my jars frequently (well, until I started with the glovebox!)

The only time I used bleach ON the jars was to swab the points of inoculation before injection, and to clean the glovebox it's self. I'm worried that the residual bleach on the walls of the glovebox would hurt the jars (I left them in the box overnight after knocking them up).

The jars were steam sterilized for 2 hours before inoculation (and obviously left to cool for an adequate amount of time).

Does anyone know the average temperature that spores die at though? Just for curiosity's sake.

Eh, time will tell. I've got more spores than I know what to do with.

Thanks all

OfflineSpongiform
Some Cow
Male User Gallery

Loc: Greener Pastures
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Bleach Fumes [Re: Kagenical]
    #9450160 - 12/17/08 01:47 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Sounds like you need to install a dehumidifier.  I have to run 2 or 3 dehumidifiers from spring till fall in my place or it's mold city.

--------------------
Spongiform's Plastic Tek - An Alternative to Glass
Spongi's PF Block Tek & Automated Shotgun Project.

OfflineKagenical
Stranger

Re: Bleach Fumes [Re: Spongiform]
    #9450182 - 12/17/08 01:52 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I definitely wish I could. We can't install or modify the HVAC system via my contract with the land owner... And I can't afford the costs of running a compressor when I barely break even with tuition.

Catch 22... But such is life. I'm only here two more years. And my skin is wonderful!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds USA West Coast Strains   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags