Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8  [ show all ]
OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
CNN Money : Sony Playstation 3 A "Sinking Ship"
    #9427412 - 12/13/08 10:50 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Sony's (SNE) PS3 is dying on the shelves.

Alone among the three major videogame consoles, sales of the PS3 are down about 19% from November 2007, according to the latest stats from the NPD Group. Sony was only able to sell 378,000 PS3s this November, compared to 466,000 last year.

And the problem for Sony isn't the recession, it's the PS3. Microsoft (MSFT) put up respectable numbers with its Xbox 360, selling 836,000 units vs 777,000 in November 2007. And Nintendo's (NTDOY) Wii continues to dominate the market, more than doubling sales from 981,000 to 2.04 million.

So why is the PS3 flopping so badly?

1. It's the most expensive console on the market, $150 - $200 more than its rivals. Even if you believe the video game industry is "recession-proof" (it isn't), a tanking economy makes consumers more price-conscious.
  2. The PS3's big bonus is its ability to double as a Blu-Ray player. Too bad no one seems to care about hi-def DVDs. The differences between Blu-Ray and DVD are hard to see on a TV less than 50".
  3. The PS3 just doesn't have any must-have titles exclusive to the console. "LittleBigPlanet" has generated decent buzz but isn't a game-changer, and neither is Sony's new virtual world "Home."

There's really only one option left for Sony to remain in the game: deep price cuts, and not just for people with good credit. Tell yourself the PS3 has superior graphics if it makes you feel better, but a $400 console with a mediocre game library simply cannot compete against an Xbox 360 priced at $200 in this economy.

Quote:

Numbers of Units Sold, November

The full sales chart:

2.04m - Wii

1.57m - Nintendo DS

836k - Xbox 360

421k - PSP

378k - PlayStation 3

206k - PlayStation 2

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblelexmark
Stranger

Re: CNN Money : Sony Playstation 3 A "Sinking Ship" [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #9427653 - 12/13/08 11:42 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

"It's the most expensive console on the market, $150 - $200 more than its rivals"

i can get an 80gb ps3 and one game for exactly the same price as a 360 alone...  $399

i chose the ps3 and don't regret it :eatingout:

--------------------

Offlinecoda
Banjo Goiter
Male

Re: CNN Money : Sony Playstation 3 A "Sinking Ship" [Re: lexmark]
    #9428213 - 12/14/08 02:12 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

you can buy a 360 that comes with two games (kid games though) and a memory card for free for 199.99.

--------------------
To get really high is to forget yourself. And to forget yourself is to see everything else. And to see everything else is to become an understanding molecule in evolution, a conscious tool of the universe. And I think every human being should be a conscious tool of the universe. . . .

-JG

i really am glad you came back to us instead of taking the other path. *hug*

-A_S (RIP your final words to me will never be forgotten)

Don't fuck with the laughing jesus.

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
    #9428304 - 12/14/08 02:39 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

1. why are there so many 360 advocates spewing lies about the PS3? because they are already bored with their console.
2. the OP is obviously a 360 lover, because they are a myopic american that thinks america is the only country with enough money to buy consoles.
3. YOUR FACTS ARE BULLSHIT.
Quote:

The PlayStation 3 is currently behind its competitor systems, the Wii and the Xbox 360, in total worldwide sales. In Japan during 2007, the Wii outsold the PlayStation 3 by as much as 6 to 1 in some months.[85][86][87] According to Famitsu, the PlayStation 3 has been more successful in Japan with 2,369,484 PlayStation 3 consoles sold as of October 1, 2008; outselling the Xbox 360, which was released almost a year earlier than its competitors, which sold 748,992 units; both the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 were outsold by the Wii, which sold 6,826,612 units.[66]

From October to November 2007, sales of the PlayStation 3 went up by 285% in the United States.[88] Sony CEO Howard Stringer attributed the growth to a price cut and Nintendo's inability to manufacture the Wii system at a rate high enough to meet public demand.[89]

In 2007, the PlayStation 3 had sold 2.56 million units in the US according to the NPD Group,[90][91] 1,206,347 in Japan according to Enterbrain,[92][93] and an estimated 2.8 million in Europe according to Electronic Arts.[94][95] In 2007, the Wii had outsold the PlayStation 3 by 3:1 in Japan, while the Xbox 360 had sold 257,841 units in that region that year, according to Enterbrain.[96][97]

As of January 1, 2008, the PlayStation 3 has sold over 180,000 units in Australia according to GameSpot.[98] As of September 2008, the PS3 has sold 1.4 million units in the United Kingdom, according to GfK Chart-Track.[67]

In the United States, the PlayStation 3 outsold the Xbox 360 for the first time in January 2008 according to the NPD Group;[99][100][101] however, a day prior to the NPD sales figures being released, Microsoft said that the Xbox 360 had shortages for that month in the US.[102][103][104] Prior to January 2008, the PlayStation 3 had been a consistent third behind the Wii and the Xbox 360 in US sales in most months since the PS3 and Wii were released, according to data by the NPD Group.[103] The PlayStation 3 also outsold the Xbox 360 in February 2008,[105][106] but was then outsold by the Xbox 360 in March 2008 according to the NPD Group.[107] In June 2008 PS3 again outsold Xbox 360 by a margin of 405,500 to 219,800.[108] As of November 1, 2008, the PlayStation 3 has sold 5.7 million units in the US, according to the NPD Group.[68]

According to Sony Computer Entertainment Europe, the PlayStation 3 had outsold the Xbox 360 from October 2007 onwards in Europe and in May 2008 it surpassed the Xbox 360 (which was released 16 months prior to the PlayStation 3) in total European sales.[65][109][110]

In the first seven months of 2008, the PlayStation 3 has sold 200,000 units in Canada, outselling the Xbox 360 which sold 154,000 units; however, the PlayStation 3 was outsold by the Wii with 376,000 units; the PlayStation 3 has sold a total of 520,000 units in Canada as of August 1, 2008.[64]

by those numbers if the PS3 is in trouble then the 360 is as well.

4. backwards compatibility, wireless gaming (psp), Blue-Ray (which locked up the market and bitch slapped HDDVD into obsolescence).

madtown, your argument is weak. the ps3 pwns the 360 on all fronts and is going strong. like I have said before, sony is an eastern company and a powerhouse... oh  wait...
Quote:

microsoft Revenue ▲ US$ 60.420 Billion (2008)

Sony Revenue ▲ US$ 88.714 Billion (2008)

wow! 28 billion more!

keep backing your western company and waving your flag in the wind. the PS3 is here to stay.
eastern companies invest for the long haul, western companies shoot their load and  fizzle. microsoft drops millions on release exclusivity because its pissant consumers need it now, while the PS3 fans have patience and dont mind waiting 2 weeks to play the game on a far superior console.
check it out for yourself...
http://www.ps3focus.com/archives/40

where it matters, the ps3 destroys the 360.

InvisibleJack Albertson
bismillah rahmani rahim
Male User Gallery

Loc: SOLARIS
Re: CNN Money : Sony Playstation 3 A "Sinking Ship" [Re: SneezingPenis]
    #9429066 - 12/14/08 08:40 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

i wouldnt give a shit if the ps3 ended up like the dreamcast. it's still the best system on the market.

--------------------
Man is timid and apologetic; he is no longer upright; he dares not say "I think," "I am," but quotes some saint or sage. He is ashamed before the blade of grass or the blowing rose.Man postpones or remembers; he does not live in the present, but with reverted eye laments the past, or, heedless of the riches that surround him, stands on tiptoe to foresee the future. He cannot be happy and strong until he too lives with nature in the present, above time
TRANSCEND

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #9429319 - 12/14/08 09:39 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Other than sales.

InvisibleJack Albertson
bismillah rahmani rahim
Male User Gallery

Re: CNN Money : Sony Playstation 3 A "Sinking Ship" [Re: Redstorm]
    #9429345 - 12/14/08 09:43 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

i think the problem is that it doesnt really appeal to casual gamers.

--------------------
Man is timid and apologetic; he is no longer upright; he dares not say "I think," "I am," but quotes some saint or sage. He is ashamed before the blade of grass or the blowing rose.Man postpones or remembers; he does not live in the present, but with reverted eye laments the past, or, heedless of the riches that surround him, stands on tiptoe to foresee the future. He cannot be happy and strong until he too lives with nature in the present, above time
TRANSCEND

Invisiblelexmark
Stranger

#9429361 - 12/14/08 09:48 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Redstorm said:
Quote:

Other than sales.

who cares about sales... honda sells more than bmw, does that mean the honda is a better car?

--------------------

Invisiblelexmark
Stranger

Re: CNN Money : Sony Playstation 3 A "Sinking Ship" [Re: Jack Albertson]
    #9429363 - 12/14/08 09:48 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Jack Albertson said:
i think the problem is that it doesnt really appeal to casual gamers.

that could be true

--------------------

InvisibleDieCommie

Re: CNN Money : Sony Playstation 3 A "Sinking Ship" [Re: lexmark]
    #9429378 - 12/14/08 09:51 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

lexmark said:
Quote:

Redstorm said:
Quote:

Other than sales.

who cares about sales... honda sells more than bmw, does that mean the honda is a better car?

Yea.  Anybody can make a good car that is overpriced.  The better car (or game system) is the one that best balances quality and price.

InvisibleJack Albertson
bismillah rahmani rahim
Male User Gallery

Re: CNN Money : Sony Playstation 3 A "Sinking Ship" [Re: DieCommie]
    #9429437 - 12/14/08 10:07 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

FALSE

--------------------
TRANSCEND

OfflineMadtowntripper
 User Gallery

#9429849 - 12/14/08 11:45 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

YawningAnus said:
1. why are there so many 360 advocates spewing lies about the PS3? because they are already bored with their console.
2. the OP is obviously a 360 lover, because they are a myopic american that thinks america is the only country with enough money to buy consoles.

Holy shit, dope, chill the fuck out.

I didn't write the article, and don't own either console.

Can you read where it says "CNN SAYS"

Not "madtowntripper says"

Christ, but you must be one of God's own retards.

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

InvisibleJack Albertson
bismillah rahmani rahim
Male User Gallery

#9429910 - 12/14/08 12:03 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

what's with the all the hostility and insults?

--------------------
TRANSCEND

OfflineMadtowntripper
 User Gallery

#9429917 - 12/14/08 12:04 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Merely responding in kind.

Thanks for your concern.

--------------------

InvisibleJack Albertson
bismillah rahmani rahim
Male User Gallery

#9429930 - 12/14/08 12:06 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

he called you a 360 lover, and you called him one of gods's own retards.

--------------------
TRANSCEND

OfflineYthanA
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Male User Gallery

Loc: NY/MA/VT Borderlands Flag
Re: CNN Money : Sony Playstation 3 A [Re: SneezingPenis]
    #9429972 - 12/14/08 12:14 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Whaaa? Console fanbois on my Shroomery? Also known as people who wanted both, but could only get one. :smirk: Really, who the fuck cares? 90% of the games are cross-platform anyway.

OfflineMadtowntripper
 User Gallery

Re: CNN Money : Sony Playstation 3 A [Re: Ythan]
    #9429981 - 12/14/08 12:16 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

And available on PC.

--------------------

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: CNN Money : Sony Playstation 3 A [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #9430166 - 12/14/08 12:51 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Christ, but you must be one of God's own retards.

:lol:

Offlineronjohn7779
Stranger

Re: CNN Money : Sony Playstation 3 A [Re: Redstorm]
    #9435941 - 12/15/08 10:43 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

This is no surprise to me. They've out priced themselves from the competition from the start. They've made too many models and removed some system selling features. They tried forcing a lame completely broke ass motion control setup down everyone's throats. While having a bluray drive is bad ass (I love my PS3 for having it) it has caused the system to be way too expensive. Almost all of the games suck and if they don't then their also available on the Xbox 360. They only had one really big system seller MGS4 and the rest of their old system selling line up has become multi-console releases.

The only reason I like my PS3 is because of the fact that it's a bad ass multimedia machine for any HD setup. It as the best sound available and the best Bluray video playback you can pay for. It sad because I only own like 3 games for it. And to break even on a console most manufactures need an average of 7 games sold for each system sold. I think the PS3 needs an even higher average of games sold to makes some money or break even.

--------------------
"Lennox Lewis, I'm coming for you man. My style is impetuous. My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat his children. Praise be to Allah!" An American Hero Iron Mike!

OfflineTheylikethatshit
AKA Sno0py
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW
    #9437892 - 12/15/08 04:07 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

YawningAnus said:
Quote:

The PlayStation 3 is currently behind its competitor systems, the Wii and the Xbox 360, in total worldwide sales. In Japan during 2007, the Wii outsold the PlayStation 3 by as much as 6 to 1 in some months.[85][86][87] According to Famitsu, the PlayStation 3 has been more successful in Japan with 2,369,484 PlayStation 3 consoles sold as of October 1, 2008; outselling the Xbox 360, which was released almost a year earlier than its competitors, which sold 748,992 units; both the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 were outsold by the Wii, which sold 6,826,612 units.[66]

From October to November 2007, sales of the PlayStation 3 went up by 285% in the United States.[88] Sony CEO Howard Stringer attributed the growth to a price cut and Nintendo's inability to manufacture the Wii system at a rate high enough to meet public demand.[89]

In 2007, the PlayStation 3 had sold 2.56 million units in the US according to the NPD Group,[90][91] 1,206,347 in Japan according to Enterbrain,[92][93] and an estimated 2.8 million in Europe according to Electronic Arts.[94][95] In 2007, the Wii had outsold the PlayStation 3 by 3:1 in Japan, while the Xbox 360 had sold 257,841 units in that region that year, according to Enterbrain.[96][97]

As of January 1, 2008, the PlayStation 3 has sold over 180,000 units in Australia according to GameSpot.[98] As of September 2008, the PS3 has sold 1.4 million units in the United Kingdom, according to GfK Chart-Track.[67]

In the United States, the PlayStation 3 outsold the Xbox 360 for the first time in January 2008 according to the NPD Group;[99][100][101] however, a day prior to the NPD sales figures being released, Microsoft said that the Xbox 360 had shortages for that month in the US.[102][103][104] Prior to January 2008, the PlayStation 3 had been a consistent third behind the Wii and the Xbox 360 in US sales in most months since the PS3 and Wii were released, according to data by the NPD Group.[103] The PlayStation 3 also outsold the Xbox 360 in February 2008,[105][106] but was then outsold by the Xbox 360 in March 2008 according to the NPD Group.[107] In June 2008 PS3 again outsold Xbox 360 by a margin of 405,500 to 219,800.[108] As of November 1, 2008, the PlayStation 3 has sold 5.7 million units in the US, according to the NPD Group.[68]

According to Sony Computer Entertainment Europe, the PlayStation 3 had outsold the Xbox 360 from October 2007 onwards in Europe and in May 2008 it surpassed the Xbox 360 (which was released 16 months prior to the PlayStation 3) in total European sales.[65][109][110]

In the first seven months of 2008, the PlayStation 3 has sold 200,000 units in Canada, outselling the Xbox 360 which sold 154,000 units; however, the PlayStation 3 was outsold by the Wii with 376,000 units; the PlayStation 3 has sold a total of 520,000 units in Canada as of August 1, 2008.[64]

by those numbers if the PS3 is in trouble then the 360 is as well.

4. backwards compatibility, wireless gaming (psp), Blue-Ray (which locked up the market and bitch slapped HDDVD into obsolescence).

madtown, your argument is weak. the ps3 pwns the 360 on all fronts and is going strong. like I have said before, sony is an eastern company and a powerhouse... oh  wait...
Quote:

wow! 28 billion more!

keep backing your western company and waving your flag in the wind. the PS3 is here to stay.
eastern companies invest for the long haul, western companies shoot their load and  fizzle. microsoft drops millions on release exclusivity because its pissant consumers need it now, while the PS3 fans have patience and dont mind waiting 2 weeks to play the game on a far superior console.
check it out for yourself...
http://www.ps3focus.com/archives/40

:whatever:
Not this guy again....
I think YOUR facts are bullshit, I think you bask in your ps3 glory because your life is consumed by a whole lot of nothing.
I dont care what your phony facts state, Microsoft's Xbox Live dominates ps3's multiplayer gameplay.
And sales dont represent customer satisfaction.

if anyone else wants to argue about it go ahead, but im not wasting my time on a debate that goes nowhere.
NOTHING you say will change my opinion, and im well aware this will do nothing to your own.

And anus, stop attacking random people for their opinions, its unnecessary and ignorant :beatadeadhorse:

--------------------
REST IN PEACE pirateseatsouls

Edited by Theylikethatshit (12/15/08 04:07 PM)

Offlinekloomie
Mushroom Guru
Male User Gallery

Re: CNN Money : Sony Playstation 3 A "Sinking Ship" [Re: Theylikethatshit]
    #9439478 - 12/15/08 07:57 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

PS3 is laaaaaaaame, case closed. The ONLY thing I wish my 360 did that a PS3 does is be able to look at porn on the internet with it, Other then tht it's garbage. I'm not going to pay $200 more dollars because it has a stupid blue ray player in it. If I wanted one of those I would buy one, but I bought a 360 because i want to play GAMES not watch movies. On top of that PS3 online is bullshit, no where near the ammount of people play online compared to xbox. They built a good system yes I'll give them that, but XBOX built a community around there sytem, and that is more valuble then anything. With a 360 EVERYTHING XBOX is at your fingertips, especially with the new update they just released.

Also YAWNING ANUS, those numbers you posted dont mean shit.

Those are not xbox 360 vs ps3 sales, that is revenue for the whole company and frankly I wonder where you get your sources...

Also if you want a biased opinion from a game developer who makes games for BOTH systems here are the links, which further support the argument that 360 is better.

For instance...
Graphics

This is a sticky subject for a lot of fanboys. A very common argument in most flame wars is that the Playstation 3 simply “has better graphics”. I’m not sure where that argument came from; Sony obviously did a good job of marketing the system. However, the argument is entirely false. The Xenos GPU on the XBOX 360 is superior the RSX on the PS3. This is one thing that didn’t change in the past year.

http://www.hardcoreware.net/reviews/review-348-1.htm (Done when ps3 first came out)

http://www.hardcoreware.net/playstation-3-vs-xbox-360-one-year-later/ ; (One year later)

Online Support

Let’s face it, it’s going to be tough for anyone to beat XBOX Live. The interface is excellent, the interaction between players is superb, and extra features like achievements add the small touches that make playing games on the XBOX 360 just a little bit better for certain people.

Playstation Network has the sole advantage of being free for the most part (game makers are still allowed to charge for online play if they want, such as MMO games, etc). However, to play any game at all on XBOX Live, you must subscribe at $50 per year at its cheapest.

One drastic disadvantage of the Playstation 3 is the fact that you cannot send messages to your friend from within a game; in order to reach the XMB or ‘main menu’ of the PS3, you need to quit out of the game you are playing, and go to your friends list that way. There is nothing in the way of voice chat (with the exception of Warhawk), and no cross-game invite system. With XBOX Live, hit one button and you can reach your friends right away. Send them a voice message, or text message, or invite them to the server you’re playing on. You can even add your MSN/Live Messenger list to the 360, and talk to your non-gaming friends any time you want.

Profiles are also more robust on XBOX Live - each gamer has their own tag, their own custom avatar, a list of games they recently played, some achievements they have accomplished, and an overall score to give an idea of how experienced you are. All of this can be viewed in-game. Also, XBOX Live extends to XBOX.com, where you can view and edit profiles from your PC if you prefer.

On PSN, you get an icon, and a small about-me section. None of this can be viewed in-game, and there is no way to tell anything else about the gamer. PSN does not extend to an online version that can be viewed from the PC, either.

With PSN Home coming (the beta is rumored to be starting in December), this section may drastically change. Sony is banking on Home being a huge reason to play games on the Playstation 3 as opposed to the XBOX 360. Public details on Home have been sketchy at best though, so we shall see how things pan out.

I just don't know what else to say, I mean you guys got it from a developers mouth, PS3 "looks better" on paper but in reality just doesnt measure up.

--------------------
"Mushrooms hold the master key to your mind, any door to anywhere can be unlocked."
~Myslef~

OfflineMadtowntripper
 User Gallery

Re: CNN Money : Sony Playstation 3 A "Sinking Ship" [Re: kloomie]
    #9440009 - 12/15/08 09:11 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I didn't know fans of the two were so competitive!

--------------------

OfflineTheylikethatshit
AKA Sno0py
Male User Gallery

#9440066 - 12/15/08 09:17 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Madtowntripper said:

I did  :whistling:

--------------------

Offlinesupra
computerEnthusiast
Loc: TEXAS
    #9440854 - 12/15/08 11:25 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

One drastic disadvantage of the Playstation 3 is the fact that you cannot send messages to your friend from within a game; in order to reach the XMB or ‘main menu’ of the PS3, you need to quit out of the game you are playing, and go to your friends list that way

not anymore, they released an update that gives access to xmb in game.

Quote:

With PSN Home coming (the beta is rumored to be starting in December), this section may drastically change.

beta started a few weeks ago, and i think may be out of beta by now, but i dont' really know.

I chose ps3 since most of my friends have xbox360, i go over there to play.  I also refuse to pay any money to play online games, if a computer game has online charges, I just don't play that game.  I pay for internet, I pay for the game, the last thing im going to do is pay more just to play it, WoW is a great example, you spend $60 on the game, then $30 for each expansion, then have to pay another fee before you get to play.  Same as xbox live, i bought xbox, i have internet, why should i pay an extra $50 a year just to play the 'online enabled' game you gave me, though its really, 'online enabled*', the * being you must pay up to play.

Lastly, reliability of xbox360 is very poor, I have only 1 friend out of the 5 I have that own them that is still on his first, other 3 are on their second or third, and the heavy gamer out of us is on his 4th system already, that is just straight up shitty.

I am not a hardcore gamer, and actually use my ps3 more for a media center than for games.  i stream hi-def movies from my freeNAS server to my television in the living room, as well as all my music.

Also, the majority of games are available to both, and the exclusives on either are nothing that I would personally miss.

Really, i feel both appeal to their market, if you are a hardcore gamer and really crave the online experience, go for xbox360.  If you want a machine with superior quality and more of a media center/all around machine, go with ps3.  I like blu-ray movies, the sound is impeccable on a nice stereo, though you can't really tell the visual difference unless your screen is huge.

Regardless, im not 'against' the 360 in any way, as a computer nerd over a game nerd, i buy the superior machine.  I owned the original xbox over ps2, as the ps2 was also plagued with problems, had lagging areas in many games (like sega did)...but i also modified my xbox1 with xbmc and used it for more of a media center.  Now hopefully one day same will be possible for ps3, but for now, their included media center stuff is fine, other than the fact i have to repackage all my hi-def video from .mkv to another, as stupid ass sony won't simply add support for .mkv...seriously, it would take a single developer not even a day to add this.

thats my feelings on the whole thing.

peace

Edited by supra (12/15/08 11:26 PM)

OfflineTheylikethatshit
AKA Sno0py
Male User Gallery

Re: CNN Money : Sony Playstation 3 A "Sinking Ship" [Re: supra]
    #9441008 - 12/15/08 11:55 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

You can pay 7.99 for 1 month, 19.99 for 3 or 59.99 for a one year subscription card.
And I wouldnt pay for a system that truly Isnt better, the developers said themselves.
Also, I believe that small fee is totally worth it considering all of the features that come with it, not to mention the ones added on the "New Xbox Experience".

--------------------

Invisiblejewunit
Brutal!
Male User Gallery
Loc: Ohio Flag
    #9441020 - 12/15/08 11:57 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Madtowntripper said:

It's ridiculous.
Both of the fucking things play video games.

--------------------
!

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
    #9441089 - 12/16/08 12:07 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

kloomie said:
PS3 is laaaaaaaame, case closed. The ONLY thing I wish my 360 did that a PS3 does is be able to look at porn on the internet with it, Other then tht it's garbage. I'm not going to pay $200 more dollars because it has a stupid blue ray player in it. If I wanted one of those I would buy one, but I bought a 360 because i want to play GAMES not watch movies. On top of that PS3 online is bullshit, no where near the ammount of people play online compared to xbox.

last night at 4-5am in the morning there were over 30k people playing cod5 on the ps3.
Quote:

They built a good system yes I'll give them that, but XBOX built a community around there sytem, and that is more valuble then anything. With a 360 EVERYTHING XBOX is at your fingertips, especially with the new update they just released.

ive played a 360 recently and i didnt notice one thing that it had "at its fingertips" that the ps3 interface didnt.

Quote:

Also YAWNING ANUS, those numbers you posted dont mean shit.

Those are not xbox 360 vs ps3 sales, that is revenue for the whole company and frankly I wonder where you get your sources...

wikipedia... my point was that eastern based companies will take a loss for years to keep its customers. look at fuji film vs kodak. even if the ps3 was costing sony tons of money, it still has about 50% more capital than microsoft.

Quote:

Also if you want a biased opinion from a game developer who makes games for BOTH systems here are the links, which further support the argument that 360 is better.

two big problems with carls thesis: he was so obviously biased that even in the face of HD-DVD becoming defeated by Blu-ray he tried to speculate that it would end up competing eventually and that stand alone HD-DVD players would be readily available for 99$ - and acted like that wont be the case with Blu-ray players.
also, no developer has even tapped the full potential of the ps3 due to its cell processor which would take 20 pages of explaining to get most people to understand how amazing it is and why it ultimately pulls edge on the 360.
see, we have already seen the ceiling of the 360... all they can really do now is go sideways, while the ps3 has way more headroom of "wow" potential. because of this, major developers, like EA, are designing (and eventually they will all follow suit) their games solely on the ps3 platform and then "dumbing" down the games to fit into the lesser consoles.

the only reason 360 surpassed the ps3 in sales in november is because soccer moms are buying them up for their 11 year olds to say "fuck shit my cock, haha bla" on 360 live. after christmas sony will take the lead again because they have a loyal base of the more mature gamer with their own income.

Quote:

Online Support

Let’s face it, it’s going to be tough for anyone to beat XBOX Live. The interface is excellent, the interaction between players is superb, and extra features like achievements add the small touches that make playing games on the XBOX 360 just a little bit better for certain people.

the ps3 has the exact same thing with the trophy comparison feature....

Quote:

Playstation Network has the sole advantage of being free for the most part (game makers are still allowed to charge for online play if they want, such as MMO games, etc). However, to play any game at all on XBOX Live, you must subscribe at $50 per year at its cheapest.

so lets say that you play your 360 or ps3 for 5 years, and you paid either 500 bucks for your ps3 or 300 bucks for your 360.... in the end, you are still spending more money on the 360.

Quote:

One drastic disadvantage of the Playstation 3 is the fact that you cannot send messages to your friend from within a game; in order to reach the XMB or ‘main menu’ of the PS3, you need to quit out of the game you are playing, and go to your friends list that way.

actually you can send messages within games...
Quote:

There is nothing in the way of voice chat

??? they have just plain voice chat rooms as well as games like cod4/5 that have in game voice chat.
Quote:

(with the exception of Warhawk), and no cross-game invite system. With XBOX Live, hit one button and you can reach your friends right away. Send them a voice message, or text message, or invite them to the server you’re playing on. You can even add your MSN/Live Messenger list to the 360, and talk to your non-gaming friends any time you want.

you can do all of that on the ps3 with the exception of cross game invites... but what is the difference between that and saying "hey, stop playing cod4, we need you on cod5"?
on big turn off for game developers is the ease of software pirating and modding that can be done on the 360, which isnt the case at all with the ps3.

ultimately, the 360 has shot its load, the only thing they have now is exclusivity which is going to be really hard when almost every game is designed on the ps3 platform.
plus, the 360 controllers are extremely gay.

OfflineTheylikethatshit
AKA Sno0py
Male User Gallery

#9441161 - 12/16/08 12:20 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Incase you didnt know, wikipedia can be edited by anyone.
For all we know, you could have typed all that up yourself...

Quote:

last night at 4-5am in the morning there were over 30k people playing cod5 on the ps3.

there are 54k people playing it right now, that is about the average players you see on there at all times...

:foshizzle:

--------------------

Offlinekloomie
Mushroom Guru
Male User Gallery

#9441228 - 12/16/08 12:30 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Theylikethatshit said:
Incase you didnt know, wikipedia can be edited by anyone.
For all we know, you could have typed all that up yourself...

Quote:

there are 54k people playing it right now, that is about the average players you see on there at all times...

:foshizzle:

Fo shizzle my nizzle!
I BLEED GREEN!

P.S.
XBOX 360 controllers kick ass.

--------------------
"Mushrooms hold the master key to your mind, any door to anywhere can be unlocked."
~Myslef~

Offlinekloomie
Mushroom Guru
Male User Gallery

#9441284 - 12/16/08 12:40 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Also on the weekends CoD5 jumps to 80-100,000 people.

--------------------
~Myslef~

InvisibleJack Albertson
bismillah rahmani rahim
Male User Gallery

#9442238 - 12/16/08 06:55 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

you 360 fans are hilarious, so die hard for absolutely no reason at all. the FACTS are that ps3 is a better made machine, blu-ray pwned haddvd, the online for both systems is the same yet one is more expensive. You get what you pay for.

--------------------
TRANSCEND

OfflineMadtowntripper
 User Gallery

#9444846 - 12/16/08 04:31 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I've heard people claim that both systems are more expensive in almost consecutive posts.

Surely this must be an easy one to solve.

--------------------

InvisibleJack Albertson
bismillah rahmani rahim
Male User Gallery

#9445093 - 12/16/08 05:16 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

just straight up purchase price, ps3 is more expensive, but it's also wiser investment. In the long run, the money that you'll spend on online play, and system replacements couldve purchased many ps3's.

--------------------
TRANSCEND

Offlinesupra
computerEnthusiast
    #9445098 - 12/16/08 05:17 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Madtowntripper said:
I've heard people claim that both systems are more expensive in almost consecutive posts.

Surely this must be an easy one to solve.

haha, i don't know, every major cell phone company has the largest 3g network available...i saw a verizon and at&t commercial back to back, and both claimed the exact same thing.

peace

Offlineronjohn7779
Stranger

#9445420 - 12/16/08 06:11 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Jack Albertson said:
you 360 fans are hilarious, so die hard for absolutely no reason at all. the FACTS are that ps3 is a better made machine, blu-ray pwned haddvd, the online for both systems is the same yet one is more expensive. You get what you pay for.

Without a doubt the PS3 is a better machine...It's just that a better machine. It NOT a better game console in the slightest bit. All of it's console exclusives suck major ass (except MGS4 which was the weakest entry in the series IMO) and I mean that! This is coming out of a PS3 owners mouth.

It's seriously my favorite highdef multimedia machine. Seriously if you have an HD set up you should own a PS3 too, it's that good for movies, video, and music. Nothing in my opinion can touch the PS3 in terms of it's value as a HD multimedia machine. But if you're judging it as a gaming console then it really can't compare in any shape or form to the 360. The amount of AAA titles on the 360 is just nuts. Also it as a way better online community than the PS3. Way more gamers are online even at weird ass hours of the day. Try playing little big planet at certain times of night... I'll give you credit where credit is due. It's pretty lame that a company as rich as microsoft is charging for internet gaming. Thats something people should get free...

Also the wii as sad as it may sound has way more innovative games, way more fun games, and way more AAA titles than the PS3...theirs a reason why the 360 and the wii sell like hot cakes and the PS3 just sits on shelves....these are just my opinons and I'm not flaming you in the slightest bit. I'd say I'm one of the least bias people on the subject I own a PS3, a 360, and a Wii. I'm just throwing out my  :2cents:

--------------------
"Lennox Lewis, I'm coming for you man. My style is impetuous. My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat his children. Praise be to Allah!" An American Hero Iron Mike!

Edited by ronjohn7779 (12/16/08 06:13 PM)

OfflineToTheSummit
peregrinus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Las Vegas
    #9445427 - 12/16/08 06:12 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I love this debate.  Its always funny to watch people get so riled up about a stupid box that plays VIDEO GAMES!

As I've stated in the past, the most important factor is personal preference.  Put aside all your technical stats and comparisons and really it just comes down to what you prefer.  I love my PS3 and I've never seen an Xbox or the Xbox-live network do anything that I wish my Playstation could do.

My biggest factor in disliking the Xbox from the beginning is that clunky, piece of shit controller they designed for it.  I hate that thing!
...once again, personal preference. :shrug:

--------------------
You invented the wheel....You push the motherfucker!!

Offlinecoda
Banjo Goiter
Male

Re: CNN Money : Sony Playstation 3 A "Sinking Ship" [Re: ToTheSummit]
    #9445474 - 12/16/08 06:19 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I just wish there were more games for the PS3 that would hold my attention.  I only own two games, i just rent the rest.  Im usually able to beat the game within the week im allowed to have it.

Although I am pretty excited for killzone two, that's probably going to be a purchase for the multiplayer alone.

--------------------
To get really high is to forget yourself. And to forget yourself is to see everything else. And to see everything else is to become an understanding molecule in evolution, a conscious tool of the universe. And I think every human being should be a conscious tool of the universe. . . .

-JG

InvisibleJack Albertson
bismillah rahmani rahim
Male User Gallery

Re: CNN Money : Sony Playstation 3 A "Sinking Ship" [Re: ronjohn7779]
    #9445503 - 12/16/08 06:24 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

ronjohn7779 said:
Quote:

Jack Albertson said:

Without a doubt the PS3 is a better machine...It's just that a better machine. It NOT a better game console in the slightest bit. All of it's console exclusives suck major ass (except MGS4 which was the weakest entry in the series IMO) and I mean that! This is coming out of a PS3 owners mouth.

It's seriously my favorite highdef multimedia machine. Seriously if you have an HD set up you should own a PS3 too, it's that good for movies, video, and music. Nothing in my opinion can touch the PS3 in terms of it's value as a HD multimedia machine. But if you're judging it as a gaming console then it really can't compare in any shape or form to the 360. The amount of AAA titles on the 360 is just nuts. Also it as a way better online community than the PS3. Way more gamers are online even at weird ass hours of the day. Try playing little big planet at certain times of night... I'll give you credit where credit is due. It's pretty lame that a company as rich as microsoft is charging for internet gaming. Thats something people should get free...

Also the wii as sad as it may sound has way more innovative games, way more fun games, and way more AAA titles than the PS3...theirs a reason why the 360 and the wii sell like hot cakes and the PS3 just sits on shelves....these are just my opinons and I'm not flaming you in the slightest bit. I'd say I'm one of the least bias people on the subject I own a PS3, a 360, and a Wii. I'm just throwing out my  :2cents:

thank you for sharing your opinion, but i'd like some facts as to why 360 is better. It just so happens that my opinions coincides with the reality of the situation.

--------------------
TRANSCEND

OfflineTheylikethatshit
AKA Sno0py
Male User Gallery

#9445760 - 12/16/08 07:17 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

thank you for sharing your opinion, but i'd like some facts as to why 360 is better. It just so happens that my opinions coincides with the reality of the situation.

Read kloomies post, its a case closer.
Xbox FTW

:courtjudge:

--------------------

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #9445948 - 12/16/08 07:50 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Game selection

Offlineronjohn7779
Stranger

#9446011 - 12/16/08 08:02 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Jack Albertson said:
Quote:

ronjohn7779 said:
Quote:

Jack Albertson said:

Also the wii as sad as it may sound has way more innovative games, way more fun games, and way more AAA titles than the PS3...theirs a reason why the 360 and the wii sell like hot cakes and the PS3 just sits on shelves....these are just my opinions and I'm not flaming you in the slightest bit. I'd say I'm one of the least bias people on the subject I own a PS3, a 360, and a Wii. I'm just throwing out my  :2cents:

thank you for sharing your opinion, but I'd like some facts as to why 360 is better. It just so happens that my opinions coincides with the reality of the situation.

I thought my whole bit about it not having any good exclusive games was my reasoning.  That's the whole REALITY OF THE SITUATION!

--------------------

Edited by ronjohn7779 (12/16/08 08:02 PM)

InvisibleJack Albertson
bismillah rahmani rahim
Male User Gallery

#9446059 - 12/16/08 08:11 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

again that's opinion. xbox owners have always said that have better games. It depends on the type of games you like to play. If you really want to get into it, let's take a look back from ps1 to ps3 and from xbox to xbox360 and see who has the better games.

--------------------
TRANSCEND

OfflineToTheSummit
peregrinus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9446104 - 12/16/08 08:17 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Redstorm said:
Game selection

I hear that argument all the time and it never makes sense to me.  Just curious, what games is it that us PS3 users are missing out on that are so important?  I read through this list and really I don't see anything there I couldn't live without.  The HALO series has always got good reviews, but how many shooters do you really need?  Hell, I think I've already got at least 5 different shooters for my PS3.  And other then HALO I don't see anything I really care about.  And I've said before, buying a system for 1 or 2 games is just moronic.

But if we wanna play that game I can easily name a few PS3 exclusives that are pretty decent also.

--------------------

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #9446107 - 12/16/08 08:17 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

We're not talking about the past consoles, we're talking about the current ones.

What games does PS# have exclusively that are outstanding? The only ones I can think of is Resistance and MGS.

OfflineToTheSummit
peregrinus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9446117 - 12/16/08 08:19 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Redstorm said:
What games does PS# have exclusively that are outstanding? The only ones I can think of is Resistance and MGS.

So what would wow me in the Xbox collection?  I'm not trying to be a wiseass, I really don't know what I'm missing.

EDIT- Oh, and past-console games are a big factor to me.  My PS3 is backwards compatible and I still play as many PS and PS2 games as I do PS3.

--------------------

InvisibleJack Albertson
bismillah rahmani rahim
Male User Gallery

#9446164 - 12/16/08 08:28 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Redstorm said:
We're not talking about the past consoles, we're talking about the current ones.

i cant even believe you mention resistance as far as fps's go that game blows ass.

we got wipeout- (classic)
warhawk- (instant classic)
Tekken- need i say more?
Killzone-:awesome:
god of war

--------------------
TRANSCEND

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #9446236 - 12/16/08 08:41 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Resistance certainly doesn't blow ass. Millions of people definitely disagree with you. Also, Killzone 2 isn't out yet, so there's no way to judge how good it will actually be. Hopefully it will be better than the first, though.

I forgot about God of War, that's a goodie.

InvisibleJack Albertson
bismillah rahmani rahim
Male User Gallery

#9446249 - 12/16/08 08:44 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

the 1st killzone is awesome, it's easily one of the best fps's ever. so the second is bound to be epic. My gripe with resistance is the shitty mechanics in multiplayer, it looks and feels like a dreamcast game. In comparison to a shooter like cod4 r2 is garbage, i really dont know how people are so into it.

--------------------
TRANSCEND

OfflineTheylikethatshit
AKA Sno0py
Male User Gallery

#9446251 - 12/16/08 08:44 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Jack Albertson said:
Quote:

Redstorm said:

i cant even believe you mention resistance as far as fps's go that game blows ass.

we got wipeout- (classic)
warhawk- (instant classic)
Tekken- need i say more?
Killzone-:awesome:
god of war

?
Never even heard of those, except tekken cuz I used to play classic when I was a young'n

--------------------

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: CNN Money : Sony Playstation 3 A "Sinking Ship" [Re: ToTheSummit]
    #9446266 - 12/16/08 08:47 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

ToTheSummit said:
Quote:

Redstorm said:

So what would wow me in the Xbox collection?  I'm not trying to be a wiseass, I really don't know what I'm missing.

EDIT- Oh, and past-console games are a big factor to me.  My PS3 is backwards compatible and I still play as many PS and PS2 games as I do PS3.

That's a good point about the backwards compatibility. I didn't even think about that. To answer your questions though, you have the Dead or Alive games for fighting, Fable II, Forza Motorsports, the Halo and Gears of War series. There might be others; I'm not a huge gamer so I don't catch everything that comes out.

I'm not trying to be a 360 home if it sounds like that, though. I have absolutely no loyalty to any of the companies. In fact, my last 3 consoles were my 360, a PS2, and a Nintendo 64. :lol: I loved my modded PS2. For a poor college student, being able to download and copy games was huge.

InvisibleJack Albertson
bismillah rahmani rahim
Male User Gallery

#9446269 - 12/16/08 08:48 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

clearly you havent played enough games to be part of this discussion. :awesome:

--------------------
TRANSCEND

Offlinesupra
computerEnthusiast
    #9446275 - 12/16/08 08:49 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Redstorm said:
Quote:

ToTheSummit said:
Quote:

Redstorm said:

That's a good point about the backwards compatibility. I didn't even think about that. To answer your questions though, you have the Dead or Alive games for fighting, Fable II, Forza Motorsports, the Halo and Gears of War series. There might be others; I'm not a huge gamer so I don't catch everything that comes out.

I'm not trying to be a 360 home if it sounds like that, though. I have absolutely no loyalty to any of the companies. In fact, my last 3 consoles were my 360, a PS2, and a Nintendo 64. :lol: I loved my modded PS2. For a poor college student, being able to download and copy games was huge.

haha, did the same with my xbox1...i have a ps3 and a wii this round though...

peace

InvisibleJack Albertson
bismillah rahmani rahim
Male User Gallery

#9446282 - 12/16/08 08:49 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Redstorm said:
Quote:

ToTheSummit said:
Quote:

Redstorm said:

DOA started on ps1. it's another perfect example of microsoft buying licenses and ruining the franchise.

--------------------
TRANSCEND

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #9446284 - 12/16/08 08:50 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I didn't enjoy the first Killzone. I wanted to so badly b/c I loved the premise and story, but the controls and stiffness of the character animation bugged me. I've been waiting for the new one since the teaser preceded the console launch. If it's awesome I might have to pick up a PS3.

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #9446292 - 12/16/08 08:51 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I don't think they ruined anything. These were reviewed exceptionally and are still epic games.

OfflineTheylikethatshit
AKA Sno0py
Male User Gallery

#9446326 - 12/16/08 08:55 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Backwards compatiability is also available with the 360, you can download originals directly from xbox live for really cheap.
And did anyone play KZ: Liberation?
I was interested in getting that with a psp, but I heard bad reviews about it so I changed my mind.
Now that I think about it, I would much rather have the PsP then the ps3!
almost all of the same capabilities but in a handheld :wink:

Ps.
Dead or Alive sucked anyway

--------------------

Edited by Theylikethatshit (12/16/08 08:56 PM)

OfflineToTheSummit
peregrinus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9446335 - 12/16/08 08:56 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Jack Albertson said:
My gripe with resistance is the shitty mechanics in multiplayer, it looks and feels like a dreamcast game. In comparison to a shooter like cod4 r2 is garbage, i really dont know how people are so into it.

No argument from me there.  The multiplayer in R2 sucks.  I was highly disappointed.  My wife and I have spent countless hours playing co-op in the first Resistance and it was a big let down for us when R2 came out.

--------------------

InvisibleJack Albertson
bismillah rahmani rahim
Male User Gallery

#9446338 - 12/16/08 08:56 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

xbox has never been a fighters console. b/c of the blatant melding of stolen controller schemes, it's damn near impossible to play a fighter comfortably.  And killzone wasnt much to look at but it kicked off the current trend in next gen first person shooters, i may be mistaken but i think it was the first one to have a run feature.

--------------------
TRANSCEND

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #9446393 - 12/16/08 09:04 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

COD gives you the ability to run, doesn't it?

InvisibleJack Albertson
bismillah rahmani rahim
Male User Gallery

#9446407 - 12/16/08 09:06 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

yeah, but has it always? and if so was it out before killzone?

--------------------
TRANSCEND

OfflineTheylikethatshit
AKA Sno0py
Male User Gallery

#9446558 - 12/16/08 09:29 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

yes, and I believe you could run in games before killzone. and even if killzone was the first, its not like another developer wouldn't thought of it by now

--------------------

Offlinekloomie
Mushroom Guru
Male User Gallery

#9447253 - 12/16/08 10:50 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Once again, I want a console for GAMES not movies.....

Quote:

just straight up purchase price, ps3 is more expensive, but it's also wiser investment. In the long run, the money that you'll spend on online play, and system replacements couldve purchased many ps3's.

Online pay is cheap, ANYONE with a job can easily afford it, plus all the benifets of it are totally worth it. Also you don't pay for replacements and they actually give you free XBL time when you send it in, all at no charge.

Quote:

Thankyou...

--------------------
~Myslef~

OfflineTheylikethatshit
AKA Sno0py
Male User Gallery

#9447337 - 12/16/08 11:01 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

ronjohn7779 said:

:congrats:

--------------------

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
    #9447434 - 12/16/08 11:16 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

list of 2009 ps3 exclusives:

Infamous
Killzone 2
God of War 3
Ratchet and Clank
The agency (also on PC)
Gran Turismo 5 (see here)
Yakuza 3
Trico
Uncharted 2
Jak 4
Heavy Rain
White Knight Chronicles
Final Fantasy XIII Versus
Demon’s Soul
MAG
Wardevil
Twisted Metal

also, here is IGn's list of the top 100 games of all time....

http://top100.ign.com/2005/091-100.html

xbox has one exclusive on there, and playstation has about 20 exclusives on there.
granted the SNES blows every console out the water on that list... but my point is that Sony has a history of backing better games.

...and the 360 controllers are completely gay.

Invisiblejewunit
Brutal!
Male User Gallery
    #9447581 - 12/16/08 11:40 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Theylikethatshit said:
yes, and I believe you could run in games before killzone. and even if killzone was the first, its not like another developer wouldn't thought of it by now

Yeah and if the Beatles never came to be someone else would have thought up their chord progressions.
What a terrible argument.

--------------------
!

OfflineTheylikethatshit
AKA Sno0py
Male User Gallery

#9447696 - 12/16/08 11:55 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Ive never even heard of most the games on that list lol

and bringing up the controller thing again is stupid,
If I think computer keyboards are completely gay, does that mean the computer itself sucks balls?

Edited by Theylikethatshit (12/16/08 11:56 PM)

Invisiblejewunit
Brutal!
Male User Gallery
    #9447719 - 12/16/08 11:59 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks the second list you've referenced not hearing about most games that God of War has been on.
I'm not one to finish games, or play many games at all, but God of War is fucking amazing.

I could care less about PS3 vs. XBox, but if you continually are unaware of popular and amazing games then you clearly do not belong in this argument.

Also: Bringing up the controller is just as "dumb" as bringing up something else about the console. This is an argument about why one system is better than the others after all. I mean, do the games that are available on each system have anything to do with the ACTUAL system? No, but XBox users will use that as an argument in a heart beat.

--------------------
!

OfflineTheylikethatshit
AKA Sno0py
Male User Gallery

Re: CNN Money : Sony Playstation 3 A "Sinking Ship" [Re: jewunit]
    #9447753 - 12/17/08 12:06 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

jewunit said:
Thanks the second list you've referenced not hearing about most games that God of War has been on.
I'm not one to finish games, or play many games at all, but God of War is fucking amazing.

I could care less about PS3 vs. XBox, but if you continually are unaware of popular and amazing games then you clearly do not belong in this argument.

I said MOST,
the only reason I know of god of war is from the commercials when it was first comming out, other than that I havent heard any good reviews on it.
Face it, ps3's online community is not as well known, nor does it compare to XBL at all. So why would I care about knowing they're lame exclusive's when I get better performance and gameplay already?:box:

and If you can care less why the fuck are you in here :whatever::dumbblonde:
should'nt you be off spinning the dradle right now?

Edited by Theylikethatshit (12/17/08 12:08 AM)

Invisiblejewunit
Brutal!
Male User Gallery
    #9447778 - 12/17/08 12:11 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

You've obviously never heard ANY reviews on it.
You're talking yourself out of any credibility.

I enjoy both consoles equally (XBox a little more since I have easier access to one.)
If someone said "Pick one or die" I'd flip a fucking coin. Like I said earlier they both play video games. XBox has more of my friends online, PS3 does Bluray. Does it really fucking matter? Not to me.
I still enjoy hearing people blather on about it.
I don't enjoy people blathering on about it if they're gonna be stupid while doing so.

--------------------
!

OfflineTheylikethatshit
AKA Sno0py
Male User Gallery

#9447798 - 12/17/08 12:15 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Yeah and if the Beatles never came to be someone else would have thought up their chord progressions.
What a terrible argument.

:dumbblonde:
:jew:

--------------------

Edited by Theylikethatshit (12/17/08 12:17 AM)

Invisiblejewunit
Brutal!
Male User Gallery
    #9447820 - 12/17/08 12:21 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Alright, there's one XBox lover who obviously doesn't have a good argument.

Anyone else gonna be a fool, or can I hear some valid points about the PS3 vs. XBox debate for once?

--------------------
!

OfflineTheylikethatshit
AKA Sno0py
Male User Gallery

#9447843 - 12/17/08 12:25 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

I could care less about PS3 vs. XBox

Quote:

or can I hear some valid points about the PS3 vs. XBox debate for once?

So now your suddenly interested?

:ilold:

Obviously you cant see over your nose,
because Ive already said everything ive had to say, im just waiting for you to stfu :shrug:

--------------------

Invisiblejewunit
Brutal!
Male User Gallery
    #9447845 - 12/17/08 12:25 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I just wanted to say this before the inevitable bad rating.

Some people take this shit way too serious.
They're video games folks.

--------------------
!

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
    #9448008 - 12/17/08 01:00 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Theylikethatshit said:
Quote:

jewunit said:

I said MOST,
the only reason I know of god of war is from the commercials when it was first comming out, other than that I havent heard any good reviews on it.
Face it, ps3's online community is not as well known, nor does it compare to XBL at all. So why would I care about knowing they're lame exclusive's when I get better performance and gameplay already?:box:

why do you keep going on about the XBL community? there really isnt anything on there that the PS3 doesnt have. you also need to keep in mind that there were 30k+ users playing cod5 at 4am central time like 3 days after the long awaited and much anticipated Home came out.
which by the way kind of makes the PS3 online community a lot better than whatever features the 360 has.

the ps3 has so many avenues to expand to and the 360 is spent.... iow obsolete.

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #9448687 - 12/17/08 06:46 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

I'm not quite sure how you can argue that the 360 is spent or obsolete. I can understand how you might think the PS3 is better, but you can't possibly have anything to back that up.

InvisibleJack Albertson
bismillah rahmani rahim
Male User Gallery

#9448999 - 12/17/08 08:55 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Theylikethatshit said:
Quote:

jewunit said:

I said MOST,

How can you be debating this and youve never heard of half the games mentioned? im gonna go out on a limb and say ive probably been playing video games longer than youve been breathing.

--------------------
TRANSCEND

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
    #9451494 - 12/17/08 06:16 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Redstorm said:
Quote:

I'm not quite sure how you can argue that the 360 is spent or obsolete. I can understand how you might think the PS3 is better, but you can't possibly have anything to back that up.

here is one of my reasons for backing the PS3 other than that I like it better than the 360....

by raymond Kurzweil:
Quote:

*  "1. During the precursor stage, the prerequisites of a technology exist, and dreamers may contemplate these elements coming together. We do not, however, regard dreaming to be the same as inventing, even if the dreams are written down. Leonardo da Vinci drew convincing pictures of airplanes and automobiles, but he is not considered to have invented either.
    * "2. The next stage, one highly celebrated in culture, is invention, a very brief stage, similar in some respects to the process of birth after an extended period of labor. Here the inventor blends curiosity, scientific skills, determination, and usually a measure of showmanship to combine methods in a new way and brings a new technology to life.
    * "3. The next stage is development, during which the invention is protected and supported by doting guardians (who may include the original inventer). Often this stage is more crucial than invention and may involve additional creation that can have greater signifigance than the invention itself. Many tinkerers had constructed finely hand-tuned horseless carriages, but it was Henry Ford's innovation of Mass Production that enabled the automobile to take root and flourish.
    * "4. The fourth stage is maturity. Although continuing to evolve, the technology now has a life of it's own and has become an established part of the community. It may become so interwoven in the fabric of life that it appears to many observers that it will last forever. This creates an interesting drama when the next stage arrives, which I call the stage of the false pretenders.
    * "5. Here an upstart threatens to eclipse the older technology. It's enthusiasts prematurely predict victory. While providing some distinct benefits, the newer technology is found on reflection to be lacking some key element of functionality or quality. When it indeed fails to dislodge the established order, the technology conservatives take this as evidence that the original approach will indeed live forever.
    * "6. This is usually a short-lived victory for the aging technology. Shortly thereafter, another new technology typically does succeed in rendering the original technology to the stage of obsolesence. In this part of the lifecycle, the technology lives out its senios years in gradual decline, its original purpose and functionality now subsumed by a more spry competitor.
    * 7. In this stage, which may comprise 5 to 10 percent of a technology's life cycle, it finally yeilds to antiquity (as did the horse and buggy, the harpsichord, the vinyl record, and the manual typewriter)."

now if we apply this to gaming consoles....

step 1 = Pong
step 2 = intelevision
step 3 = NES
step 4 = SNES
step 5 = Jaguar, 3D0, saturn
step 6 = PS, nintendo64
step 7 = nes/snes are quite obsolete.

this can even be applied within subsets of the console generations, by making the wii the false pretender, we are left with the 360 and ps3, and with no new generation on the horizon, the ps3 will flourish as it continues to grow and used with its full potential. Wii will not come out with another console for a while because sales are so remarkable right now and microsoft is at the same ceiling as computers today: doubling up on processing power rather than continuing with moore's law (which kurzweil predicted would break down almost to the month).
now I know this is a long way around, but the ps3 is the only company with its cell technology, which is merely an infant right now while the rest of the industry is stuck trying to find some cost effective ways around moore's ceiling.

by using raymond kurzweils law of accelerating returns, which states...

Quote:

An analysis of the history of technology shows that technological change is exponential, contrary to the common-sense 'intuitive linear' view. So we won't experience 100 years of progress in the 21st century—it will be more like 20,000 years of progress (at today's rate). The 'returns,' such as chip speed and cost-effectiveness, also increase exponentially. There's even exponential growth in the rate of exponential growth. Within a few decades, machine intelligence will surpass human intelligence, leading to the Singularity—technological change so rapid and profound it represents a rupture in the fabric of human history. The implications include the merger of biological and nonbiological intelligence, immortal software-based humans, and ultra-high levels of intelligence that expand outward in the universe at the speed of light.

kurzweil calls 2013 as the year when a computer will mimic the processing powers of a human brain and places the world right now at the knee of the exponential curve.
like he said, exponential growth grows exponentially in terms of technological progress.
The ps4 is slated to start being developed in 2010 and Sony really has something with this cell technology... I doubt that they would have spent so much money on it if they werent planning on developing it further.
lets say that wii was planning on releasing the wii 2 and microsoft the 720... sony can just double the cell processor with ease and come out with the ps3.1 or some shit like that and one thing that moores law will always be correct about is the constant fall of price per computation: meaning that the cost of the cell processor has been and will continue to fall.

but it is just as likely that I am too biased with my ps3 and in the long run, the cell processor could be the false pretender, but im willing to bet that sony has a huge headstart, a springboard, with the cell technology and eventually microsoft will bow out.
I think nintendo will continue to compete through innovation rather than trying to compete with global processing firms like IBM and microsoft, breaking the gaming world into two distinct categories: self immersion and hyper powered mmo story/action based games.
microsoft will continue to release games on the PC, because it is still the most wide selling avenue for games, but after their next console, they will get out of the game like sega did after the dreamcast.

so, that is my reasoning for backing sony in all this, combined with the fact that it still fully competes with the 360 right now. with its history of backwards compatibility it will continue to expand it client base and its technology. You can also use the 7 steps of technological evolution on the media that is used.
it is obvious that the laser disc was the false pretender, the cd stayed around, and blu ray will soon take its place... there is no other option on the horizon. even when blu ray becomes obsolete, im willing to bet that sony will maintain it in their consoles just for backwards compatibility, so that when you have the ps5 or 6 you can still play ps1 games (even though by then most of the greats will have been remade)

so that is my thesis on the whole thing. before I bought my ps3 I was deep into kurzweil (you can actually check it through my P&S posts). so like always in my life, I have set myself up to be wither extremely correct, or extremely wrong.

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
    #9451553 - 12/17/08 06:27 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

oh yeah, one more thing. sony embraces the fact that gaming and porn are the two major sectors driving technology... which is why blu-ray won out - porn.

sony is a better company by far. microsoft cant even decide if it wants to use the 100 million dollar ads with jerry seinfeld while apple slowly chips away at it.

Offlineronjohn7779
Stranger

#9451848 - 12/17/08 07:21 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

YawningAnus said:

xbox has one exclusive on there, and playstation has about 20 exclusives on there.
granted the SNES blows every console out the water on that list... but my point is that Sony has a history of backing better games.

Infamous (I'll give you that this game looks interesting, but who knows how it will turn out)
Killzone 2 (the first one sucked balls why would I want to play a second one)
God of War 3 (The first two rock, and I would totally play this)
Ratchet and Clank (Mario Galaxy was better than the last one, this series is a lame action platformer IMO)
The agency (also on PC) (ehh not my style and it's also available on the PC so I wouldn't call it a system seller)
Gran Turismo 5 (see here) (I've been playing this same game for the better part of a decade...it just looks better and most likely has better physics)
Yakuza 3 (the first two sucked so why would I want to play that again).
Trico (never heard of it)
Uncharted 2 (Probablly going to be alright like the first one).
Jak 4 (I hate this series...once gain mario is a way better platformer)
Heavy Rain (never heard of it and if I haven't heard of it imagine who else hasn't)
White Knight Chronicles (imagine this another lame JRPG)
Final Fantasy XIII Versus (might be good, but square RPGs are kind of lame now)
Demon’s Soul (never heard of it)
MAG (?)
Wardevil (?)
Twisted Metal (might be good but it's certainly not a system seller, TMB was okay).
Sorry half those games I bet no one except PS3 die hards have ever heard of or the general public could careless about. FF VS XII and GOW are the only real system sellers on that list.

You're right the playstation did have 20 exclusives on that list...it was just that the Playstation and PS2 NOT the Playstation 3! Too bad new playstation 3 owner can't play those games. It's really not a system selling feature since backwards compatibility was removed. You're also talking about he playstation's games not the PS3's on that list. Also that list is from 2005...a lot has changed in 3 years (almost 4 now). You're also right Sony did in deed have a history of getting good games...too bad history has changed!

--------------------

InvisibleJack Albertson
bismillah rahmani rahim
Male User Gallery

#9452096 - 12/17/08 08:01 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

ronjohn7779 said:
Quote:

YawningAnus said:

Infamous (I'll give you that this game looks interesting, but who knows how it will turn out)
Ratchet and Clank (Mario Galaxy was better than the last one, this series is a lame action platformer IMO)
The agency (also on PC) (ehh not my style and it's also available on the PC so I wouldn't call it a system seller)
Gran Turismo 5 (see here) (I've been playing this same game for the better part of a decade...it just looks better and most likely has better physics)
Heavy Rain (never heard of it and if I haven't heard of it imagine who else hasn't)
MAG (?)
Wardevil (?)
Twisted Metal (might be good but it's certainly not a system seller, TMB was okay).
Sorry half those games I bet no one except PS3 die hards have ever heard of or the general public could careless about. FF VS XII and GOW are the only real system sellers on that list.

You're right the playstation did have 20 exclusives on that list...it was just that the Playstation and PS2 NOT the Playstation 3! Too bad new playstation 3 owner can't play those games. It's really not a system selling feature since backwards compatibility was removed. You're also talking about he playstation's games not the PS3's on that list. Also that list is from 2005...a lot has changed in 3 years (almost 4 now). You're also right Sony did in deed have a history of getting good games...too bad history has changed!

i have backwards compatibility.

--------------------
TRANSCEND

Offlineronjohn7779
Stranger

#9452112 - 12/17/08 08:04 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Yes you and I both do, but a majority of PS3 owners don't. That option was removed pretty early in it's life. If you didn't buy one the summer before this past you're SOL.

--------------------

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
    #9453004 - 12/17/08 10:15 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

ronjohn7779 said:
Quote:

YawningAnus said:

MAG (?)
Wardevil (?)

what are you talking about? you can play every single ps game on a ps3. the only catch is that you still have to have your controllers for SOME games.

and as far as the FF, it is going to rock your face. a real FF hasnt come out since 11, and granted they have sucked since 9, and FF online was actually really badass... but I see a return to basics on this one... but anyway, you cant say that kingdom hearts wasnt a favorite. frankly I never played it, but it shipped 12 million copies and made them IGN's designer of the year for 2006.

but anyway, here is a sample photo from FFXIII

also, FF can suck so hard if it wants to... no matter what it will ship 5 million copies on its name alone... especially when Motomu Toriyama is on the bill.

Offlineronjohn7779
Stranger

#9454849 - 12/18/08 08:08 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

YawningAnus said:
what are you talking about? you can play every single ps game on a ps3. the only catch is that you still have to have your controllers for SOME games.

Now I know you really aren't all that informed on playstation games and the system itself. Sony removed Backwards compatibility. First they took out the hardware based Backwards compatibility (which was 100% compatible with all games it had a PS2 and a PS1 practically in a ps3. I own this version), they then replaced it with software based compatibility which was only 70% compatible with PS2 and PS1...and then after that they removed that feature all together...And there is no catch you can play any PS1 or PS2 game with a wireless dual shock 3 or six axis. You're either blatantly lying or have no clue what you're talking about.... Also the only way to use legacy controllers (i.e. PS1 or PS2 shit) would be to get a special USB adapter that isn't all that easy to get.

Heres an anouncement when they removed the software based PS1 and PS2 backwards compatablity (This put the death on that feature)...
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3157529

And heres an interview when they removed the hardware (meaning PS1 and PS2 chips) based backwards compatibility. They've recently dropped all support all together...
http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2007/10/05/40gbs-loss-of-backwards-compatibility-explained/

--------------------

InvisibleJack Albertson
bismillah rahmani rahim
Male User Gallery

#9456429 - 12/18/08 02:28 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

ronjohn7779 said:
Quote:

YawningAnus said:

Now I know you really aren't all that informed on playstation games and the system itself. Sony removed Backwards compatibility. First they took out the hardware based Backwards compatibility (which was 100% compatible with all games it had a PS2 and a PS1 practically in a ps3. I own this version), they then replaced it with software based compatibility which was only 70% compatible with PS2 and PS1...and then after that they removed that feature all together...And there is no catch you can play any PS1 or PS2 game with a wireless dual shock 3 or six axis. You're either blatantly lying or have no clue what you're talking about.... Also the only way to use legacy controllers (i.e. PS1 or PS2 shit) would be to get a special USB adapter that isn't all that easy to get.

Heres an anouncement when they removed the software based PS1 and PS2 backwards compatablity (This put the death on that feature)...
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3157529

And heres an interview when they removed the hardware (meaning PS1 and PS2 chips) based backwards compatibility. They've recently dropped all support all together...
http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2007/10/05/40gbs-loss-of-backwards-compatibility-explained/

ive never had a ps1 pr 2 game that didnt play.

--------------------
TRANSCEND

OfflineMadtowntripper
 User Gallery

#9457031 - 12/18/08 04:24 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Likely because you have the PS3 that plays the games.

--------------------

InvisibleJack Albertson
bismillah rahmani rahim
Male User Gallery

#9457237 - 12/18/08 04:57 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

of course. if you dont have one you snoozed and lost. hit ebay.

--------------------
TRANSCEND

Offlinecoda
Banjo Goiter
Male

#9467358 - 12/20/08 02:26 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

well, i guess sony smartened up and put it back out there.  I just bought a PS3 back in Oct.  When my girl was fucking around with the downloads she found the backwards compatibility software and downloaded it.  Also all of those articles refer to euro machines.

We're now able to play some older titles on the PS3 if we want.  However, that feature really doesn't matter to me as I have two PS2's that work just fine and two controllers for each console.  So if i want to play an older title i just fire up the PS2.

Personally I think it's just a matter of taste between the two consoles.  I think XBL is the better online service, but you have to pay for it.  I think that the PS3 will have prettier looking games in the future, but not by much.

Blue ray is nice, but only if you have a large screen TV.  Anyone who tells you they can tell a difference between bluray and regular DVD on a normal TV set is flat out lying, or just disillusioned because they paid 600 bucks for something.

More of my friends own an xbox, my girlfriend loves PS3, i bought the PS3 for her for her bday and xmas gift.  Most likely i'll be getting a 360 for xmas (hopefully).  Truth be told if i were to choose for myself, i would have bought the xbox just to play online with my friends.  I do not regret buying a PS3, I've played some fun games on it, it's made my girlfriend happy, and when i finally do finance a big screen TV i'll already own a blueray player.

Here's some other cons i've noticed about the PS3.

1.)  The connecting cord to the unit to charge the controller is ridiculously small.  You have to leave the unit on to charge the controllers (unless you buy a charging station), so if your couch is more then 2 feet away from your console, you're SOL if the controller dies.  I'll move to the floor to play and charge, but it sucks.

2.) It seems that every game which has text on it was designed to be played on a large screen TV.  For instance, in condemned 2 every time i had to do an investigation and make choices, i had to get a foot away from the screen to decipher what the text said.  This has happened in a lot of other games, in resistance two i never read any of the intel because i would have needed a magnifying glass to do so.  Maybe I'm missing a setting or something to change the aspect ratio, but if a game requires me to read tiny text it's near impossible to do so.

3.) six axis is a joke.  I've played several games which tried to incorporate it but i gave up because the damn thing just sucked.  Trying to use the controller tilt in mirrors edge to balance on rails was an exercise in futility.  Not a big deal really, but its just garbage.

I like my PS3, but i find myself more on the PC lately playing games.  Honestly, in the future, im going to save the money i'd spend on new consoles and buy better parts for my PC instead.

--------------------

-JG

InvisibleJack Albertson
bismillah rahmani rahim
Male User Gallery

Re: CNN Money : Sony Playstation 3 A "Sinking Ship" [Re: coda]
    #9468971 - 12/20/08 07:33 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

you are missing a setting, the controller issue is hit or miss depending on the feng shui of your house.six axis is pretty much a gimmic though. And i always here people talk about how xbox live is "better" define that for me please? Ive never had any trouble getting in a game or with my connection on the ps3 network.

--------------------
TRANSCEND

OfflineTheylikethatshit
AKA Sno0py
Male User Gallery

#9469344 - 12/20/08 08:58 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Ive never had any trouble getting in a game or with my connection on the ps3 network.

Its not connection issues that make XBL better, its simply the community is more devoloped and gives you more options.
Sure you have to pay your pocket change or lunch money to play, but it pays for all of the updates and new additions you see so often.
And within the next year or so, the LIVE community is supposed to be releasing even more new features.

Also, microsoft is currently developing "Live Anywhere", a mobile version of XBL which will branch to PC users also and enable cross-platform gaming(a first).

As said before PS3 is the better media machine, but I bought my console to play games :tongue:

--------------------

OfflineMadtowntripper
 User Gallery

#9469373 - 12/20/08 09:08 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Cross platform between PC and XBox would be amazing.

--------------------

OfflineTheylikethatshit
AKA Sno0py
Male User Gallery

#9469404 - 12/20/08 09:15 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Madtowntripper said:
Cross platform between PC and XBox would be amazing.

Well they're doing it,
it was announced at this years E3

--------------------

Offlinesupra
computerEnthusiast
    #9469611 - 12/20/08 09:58 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Theylikethatshit said:
Quote:

Ive never had any trouble getting in a game or with my connection on the ps3 network.

Its not connection issues that make XBL better, its simply the community is more devoloped and gives you more options.

What are these options, i would love to know, as I have been debating picking up a 360 lately.

peace

OfflineTheylikethatshit
AKA Sno0py
Male User Gallery

Re: CNN Money : Sony Playstation 3 A "Sinking Ship" [Re: supra]
    #9469694 - 12/20/08 10:18 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

• Friends List with chat/voice or text messaging/party and game invite option
  • independant parties(which means it can be formed outside of games and remain active while switching to different games)
  • Netflix can be accessed with tons of titles to instantly stream to your 360
  • Tournaments
  • Downloadable content/ add-ons for games/ game demo's
  • Burn game disc to your drive(must have the disc to play)
  • Personalized avatars(not too cool)
  • Events
  • Millions of players to interact with

The next update is scheduled for spring,
there's supposed to be some game show thing I guess.

wow,  since friday the users online for CoD: WaW hasnt gone below 150,000...

--------------------

Edited by Theylikethatshit (12/20/08 10:23 PM)

Offlinecoda
Banjo Goiter
Male

#9470749 - 12/21/08 01:56 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

you are missing a setting

can you point me in the right direction?  Because that's one annoying thing I'd really like to solve so i don't give myself a headache every time i have to read in game text.

I like the PS3, I agree with the people who say the 360 controller sucks. I don't hate the 360 controller outright, but the PS controllers always felt more natural.  Id wish they'd do a little indent in the joysticks though to give you a better grip on the sticks.

--------------------

-JG

InvisibleJack Albertson
bismillah rahmani rahim
Male User Gallery

#9471535 - 12/21/08 07:43 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Theylikethatshit said:
  • independant parties(which means it can be formed outside of games and remain active while switching to different games)
  • Tournaments
  • Events

I knew i was right to stop paying attention to you, playstation network has every feature you just mentioned with the exception of burning the game disc to your hdd, which is retarded anyway. If im gonna pay 60 bucks for a game i want to physically touch it all the time. I dont know why you guys fall for this microsoft exclusivity  bs.

--------------------
TRANSCEND

InvisibleJack Albertson
bismillah rahmani rahim
Male User Gallery

#9471548 - 12/21/08 07:46 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

coda said:
Quote:

you are missing a setting

can you point me in the right direction?  Because that's one annoying thing I'd really like to solve so i don't give myself a headache every time i have to read in game text.

I like the PS3, I agree with the people who say the 360 controller sucks. I don't hate the 360 controller outright, but the PS controllers always felt more natural.  Id wish they'd do a little indent in the joysticks though to give you a better grip on the sticks.

it could be your aspect ratio depending on the model tv you have. Does your tv have a zoom feature?

--------------------
TRANSCEND

OfflineManianFH
living in perverty
 User Gallery

#9471915 - 12/21/08 09:51 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Theylikethatshit said:
You can pay 7.99 for 1 month, 19.99 for 3 or 59.99 for a one year subscription card.
And I wouldnt pay for a system that truly Isnt better, the developers said themselves.
Also, I believe that small fee is totally worth it considering all of the features that come with it, not to mention the ones added on the "New Xbox Experience".

the online fee is rediculous. we already pay for internet, now have to buy xbox internet? oi. thats like verizon's mentality, 'your cellphones have the capacity to use our internet plan that you paid for to tether your cellphone internet to your laptop or desktop pc, however, because we have done numerous statistical evaluations stating that a profit can be made from price gouging, we will make you pay for the ability to use the verizon internet you pay for.'

fuck that shit, in total youre paying about the equivalent of a ps3 after 2 1/2 years with the x-box live, which is the only way i would ever play that console outside of rockband

--------------------
notapillow said: "you are going about this endeavor all wrong. clear your mind of useless fear and concern. buy the ticket, take the ride, and all that.... "

ChrisWho said: "It's all about the journey, not the destination."

Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: CNN Money : Sony Playstation 3 A "Sinking Ship" [Re: ManianFH]
    #9472213 - 12/21/08 11:20 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

if they merge pc and xbox 360 gaming im going to have to quite gaming all together.  no way am i putting up with bitchy ass moms who want to ban people because they have god complexes that can't handle a cuss word but don't mind there 3 year old blowing some "guys" head off

--------------------
We were sent to hell for eternity :hellfire: Ø:omgawesome:h®
We play on earth to pass the time :foreheadslap:

Over-population the root of all Evil-brings the Elites Closer to the gates.

Offlinecoda
Banjo Goiter
Male

Re: CNN Money : Sony Playstation 3 A "Sinking Ship" [Re: makaveli8x8]
    #9472448 - 12/21/08 12:07 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

it could be your aspect ratio depending on the model tv you have. Does your tv have a zoom feature?

no, its an old CRT model.  27" TV, nothing fancy on it, paid 100 bucks for it brand new and it's treated me right for almost 5 years now.

--------------------

-JG

OfflineTheylikethatshit
AKA Sno0py
Male User Gallery

#9472470 - 12/21/08 12:13 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Jack Albertson said:
Quote:

Theylikethatshit said:
  • Tournaments
  • Events

I knew i was right to stop paying attention to you, playstation network has every feature you just mentioned with the exception of burning the game disc to your hdd, which is retarded anyway. If im gonna pay 60 bucks for a game i want to physically touch it all the time. I dont know why you guys fall for this microsoft exclusivity  bs.

Sure :whatever:
If your that broke maybe you should spend all of your savings on a low grade system :shrug:

--------------------

InvisibleJack Albertson
bismillah rahmani rahim
Male User Gallery

#9472518 - 12/21/08 12:25 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

that wasnt even a real response to what i said. And by low grade do you mean lower grade? if so that's the 360, technologically inferior.

--------------------
TRANSCEND

OfflineTheylikethatshit
AKA Sno0py
Male User Gallery

#9472673 - 12/21/08 12:59 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Jack Albertson said:
that wasnt even a real response to what i said. And by low grade do you mean lower grade? if so that's the 360, technologically inferior.

Obviously your picking and choosing what you want to read on here,
because as its been said countless times on here the p3 IS the better machine, and JUST the better machine.
And if the ps3 has all the same features, what are they and why should I choose ps3 online over XBL? I would really like to know...
If your looking for a media machine, go for ps3
If your looking for gameplay, go 360.

Due to it being so "advanced", it is difficult for the Ps3 to run at its full potential smoothley

And burning a disc to your hard drive is retarded?:dumbblonde:
How could that be when that enables even smoother gameplay and at the same time your console doesnt have to run all of its components?

Quote:

uck that shit, in total youre paying about the equivalent of a ps3 after 2 1/2 years with the x-box live, which is the only way i would ever play that console outside of rockband

Do the math, 50$ a year for 2 1/2 years does not add up to 300+ dollars.

Quote:

--------------------

Edited by Theylikethatshit (12/21/08 01:20 PM)

InvisibleJack Albertson
bismillah rahmani rahim
Male User Gallery

#9474437 - 12/21/08 07:05 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

i feel like you dont even read what you type. you would pick the psn over the xbl b/c it's fucking FREE and of equal quality. youre clearly a fanboy. If xbox is half as great as you make it out to be i would have one, i own a ps3 b/c the amount of awesomem surpasses that of xbox. And burning a disc to your hdd shaves seconds off of load times, if any at all. if youre that adhd that you cant wait for a game to load you need to be playing pong.

--------------------
TRANSCEND

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #9474482 - 12/21/08 07:12 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

youre clearly a fanboy

Quote:

i own a ps3 b/c the amount of awesomem surpasses that of xbox

Lollorz.

Irony much?

InvisibleThin White Duke
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #9474569 - 12/21/08 07:27 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Nothing worse than a bunch of fanboy faggots arguing.

OfflineTheylikethatshit
AKA Sno0py
Male User Gallery

#9474610 - 12/21/08 07:30 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Jack Albertson said:
if youre that adhd that you cant wait for a game to load you need to be playing pong.

Ouch, me ego! :whatever:

Im still waiting to hear why I should choose the inferior system and network...
Guess you ran out of good arguements and moved on to me, I feel loved :sissies:

--------------------

InvisibleJack Albertson
bismillah rahmani rahim
Male User Gallery

#9474762 - 12/21/08 07:57 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Redstorm said:
Quote:

youre clearly a fanboy

Quote:

i own a ps3 b/c the amount of awesomem surpasses that of xbox

Lollorz.

Irony much?

i say it b/c it's true if the xbox were as cooler than the ps3 i would be saying that about the xbox. i dont consider myself a fanboy, im an elite gamer as ive been playing for well over a decade. So i put a lot of thought and time into deciding which system to buy, and essentially the ps3 sold itself.

--------------------
TRANSCEND

InvisibleJack Albertson
bismillah rahmani rahim
Male User Gallery

#9474769 - 12/21/08 07:59 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Theylikethatshit said:
Quote:

Jack Albertson said:
if youre that adhd that you cant wait for a game to load you need to be playing pong.

Ouch, me ego! :whatever:

Im still waiting to hear why I should choose the inferior system and network...
Guess you ran out of good arguements and moved on to me, I feel loved :sissies:

yeah thats it. you need to re-read this entire thread and see who's run out of GOOD arguements. And i already told you why ps3 makes more sense financially and on paper. :gameover:

--------------------
TRANSCEND

Offlineronjohn7779
Stranger

#9474816 - 12/21/08 08:07 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

God you guys have been....:beatadeadhorse: After 6 pages I think it has been well established that the Xbox 360 is the better system. :ilold:

--------------------

OfflineTheylikethatshit
AKA Sno0py
Male User Gallery

#9474824 - 12/21/08 08:08 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

ronjohn7779 said:
God you guys have been....:beatadeadhorse: After 6 pages I think it has been well established that the Xbox 360 is the better system. :ilold:

Yeah im done this is pointless. Case closed 360 FTW

--------------------

InvisibleJack Albertson
bismillah rahmani rahim
Male User Gallery

#9474860 - 12/21/08 08:17 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

im just fine with people being duped and wasting their hard earned money if they are.

--------------------
TRANSCEND

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #9474935 - 12/21/08 08:30 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

As long as people are having fun playing their respective systems, I'm not sure how they're being ripped off or wasting their money. That is the point of the damn thing, isn't it?

OfflineMadtowntripper
 User Gallery

#9474943 - 12/21/08 08:32 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

You obviously don't understand.

HE has the better system and anyone who doesn't have that one is a hopeless rube.

Read the thread again.

I mean geez.

--------------------

InvisibleJack Albertson
bismillah rahmani rahim
Male User Gallery

#9475002 - 12/21/08 08:45 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Redstorm said:
As long as people are having fun playing their respective systems, I'm not sure how they're being ripped off or wasting their money. That is the point of the damn thing, isn't it?

having fun has nothing to do with getting ripped off. If you believe that everything is legit of course youre gonna have fun. And i dont give a shit about what anyone else does im just saying FACTUALLY opinions aside, ps3 is the better system. But clearly this isnt based on just facts alone or the wii wouldnt be selling like it is right now. And i get it madtown youre being sarcastic over the internet, good job.

--------------------
TRANSCEND

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #9475033 - 12/21/08 08:49 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

When it comes to a toy, having fun is all that determines whether or not you were ripped off.

InvisibleJack Albertson
bismillah rahmani rahim
Male User Gallery

#9475042 - 12/21/08 08:52 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

it determines whether or not you feel ripped off, not if you were actually ripped off. Our feelings arent always dictated by reality.

--------------------
TRANSCEND

OfflineTheylikethatshit
AKA Sno0py
Male User Gallery

#9475067 - 12/21/08 08:55 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Our feelings arent always dictated by reality.

He said something that actually makes sense!

--------------------

InvisibleJack Albertson
bismillah rahmani rahim
Male User Gallery

#9475084 - 12/21/08 08:59 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

honestly youre really annoying. If you had actually participated in this discussion instead of just trying to oppose everthing i said it wouldnt be so bad. But you just ignore it when i say something you have no valid response for and now youre saying IM the one that doesnt make sense? dont be ridiculous.

--------------------
TRANSCEND

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #9475088 - 12/21/08 09:00 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

There is nothing which leads me to believe I wasted any money buying my 360. It's a game console which was purchased to provide me with entertainment. When I use it, I am entertained. Therefor, I did not waste my money. I'm sure I would say the exact same thing if I had a PS3.

Offlineronjohn7779
Stranger

#9475106 - 12/21/08 09:04 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Theylikethatshit said:
Quote:

Our feelings arent always dictated by reality.

He said something that actually makes sense!

Oh  :dumblol:  :septemberlol: You made a funny! Oh snap that was really mean!

--------------------

InvisibleJack Albertson
bismillah rahmani rahim
Male User Gallery

#9475123 - 12/21/08 09:08 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

again feeling ripped off and actually being ripped off arent the same thing. Im glad you dont feel as though you got the short end of the stick but you may have. The quality of the system is definitely worth less than its price tag. The massive number of system failures and recent law suits let you know that you were ripped off. Escpecially since microsoft admits that they knew systems were faulty and couldve fixed it for 50 cents a unit, and opted not to. That's shady business right there. The recent price drop is another example, if they could afford to sell it at the price it's going for now, why not do it all along? B/c it's not about quality with microsoft, it's about competing in a market where they are the newcomers. Hell windows is an even bigger ripp off than the xbox.

--------------------
TRANSCEND

OfflineTheylikethatshit
AKA Sno0py
Male User Gallery

#9475130 - 12/21/08 09:10 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

honestly youre really annoying.

OucH!
Me ego again! :suicide:

:noob::foshizzle::flyhigh::mrt:

I cant believe your still going!

Im just seeing how long you can possibly go on with this nonsense!

You just keep spewing crap onto this thread that has already been debunked, just get over it 360 is the better gaming console.

:bitchsmack::box:

--------------------

Edited by Theylikethatshit (12/21/08 09:12 PM)

InvisibleJack Albertson
bismillah rahmani rahim
Male User Gallery

#9475157 - 12/21/08 09:13 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

this isnt a dance. im trying to have a discussion and youre seeing how many smileys you can use in a single post. so you have fun being slow, and i'll continue discussing this topic with people who actually have something to say.

--------------------
TRANSCEND

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #9475166 - 12/21/08 09:14 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

If my system fails, then you may be right. I bought it after they addressed the RROD problem, so I wouldn't hold my breathe. Other than the system failures, what constitutes me being ripped off?

OfflineTheylikethatshit
AKA Sno0py
Male User Gallery

#9475184 - 12/21/08 09:18 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

so you have fun being slow

somebody is
:gaycrankey:

LMAO
okay im done dude, like I said this is POINTLESS!
nobody is going to change their opinions because two nerds are sitting here stating the same facts over and over.
If anybody wanted to use this thread to decide which is better im sure the point has already been made clear enough, weather its xbox or playstation.
If you wish to continue this debate you are simply ignorant and very bored.

--------------------

Offlineflangenips
Batshitinsanse
 User Gallery

Loc: aotearoa Flag
    #9475239 - 12/21/08 09:26 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

though i prefer the 360 currently for gaming, i personally think, like always, sony has invested for the long run and we have yet to see whats to come on the ps3, perhaps in 1 or 2 years time even. I felt the same about ps2, didn't have much interest in the games available until a few years after its release.

Meh, time will tell...

--------------------
All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher. - Ambrose Bierce

InvisibleJack Albertson
bismillah rahmani rahim
Male User Gallery

#9475242 - 12/21/08 09:26 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Jack Albertson said:
again feeling ripped off and actually being ripped off arent the same thing. Im glad you dont feel as though you got the short end of the stick but you may have. The quality of the system is definitely worth less than its price tag. The massive number of system failures and recent law suits let you know that you were ripped off. Escpecially since microsoft admits that they knew systems were faulty and couldve fixed it for 50 cents a unit, and opted not to. That's shady business right there. the recent price drop is another example, if they could afford to sell it at the price it's going for now, why not do it all along? B/c it's not about quality with microsoft, it's about competing in a market where they are the newcomers. Hell windows is an even bigger ripp off than the xbox.

--------------------
TRANSCEND

InvisibleJack Albertson
bismillah rahmani rahim
Male User Gallery

#9475260 - 12/21/08 09:28 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Theylikethatshit said:
Quote:

so you have fun being slow

somebody is
:gaycrankey:

LMAO
okay im done dude, like I said this is POINTLESS!
nobody is going to change their opinions because two nerds are sitting here stating the same facts over and over.
If anybody wanted to use this thread to decide which is better im sure the point has already been made clear enough, weather its xbox or playstation.
If you wish to continue this debate you are simply ignorant and very bored.

you see what im saying? :gaycrankey:? what does this have to do with anything? you act like a child. Im sure the fact that im disagreeing with you makes me gay.

--------------------
TRANSCEND

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #9475272 - 12/21/08 09:30 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Perhaps costs of production went down?

Prices of consoles always go down after the initial release. This is not unique to Microsoft. It's been years since it came out, so it's not unexpected to see price drops.

That has nothing to do with being ripped off, by the way.

OfflineTheylikethatshit
AKA Sno0py
Male User Gallery

#9475283 - 12/21/08 09:32 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

you act like a child.

wow,
STILL going?
Im not trying to be even more of a dick, but STFU and I will do the same.
:noob:

--------------------

Edited by Theylikethatshit (12/21/08 09:35 PM)

InvisibleJack Albertson
bismillah rahmani rahim
Male User Gallery

#9475310 - 12/21/08 09:38 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Redstorm said:

Prices of consoles always go down after the initial release. This is not unique to Microsoft. It's been years since it came out, so it's not unexpected to see price drops.

you really believe cost of production went down with the economy in the shape that it's in? or is it more plausible that it's worth a lot less than you were charged? Is it a coincidence that through all this drama with the ps3 price that it has yet to drop? you get what you pay for.

--------------------
TRANSCEND

OfflineTheylikethatshit
AKA Sno0py
Male User Gallery

#9475326 - 12/21/08 09:40 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Is it a coincidence that through all this drama with the ps3 price that it has yet to drop?

The price has yet to drop because the ps3 isnt selling as much as they would like to.
Microsoft is owned by the richest man in the world, it only makes sense that the price's would drop to sell more around christmas.

--------------------

Edited by Theylikethatshit (12/21/08 09:41 PM)

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #9475393 - 12/21/08 09:54 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Jack Albertson said:
Quote:

Redstorm said:

you really believe cost of production went down with the economy in the shape that it's in? or is it more plausible that it's worth a lot less than you were charged? Is it a coincidence that through all this drama with the ps3 price that it has yet to drop? you get what you pay for.

What does the cost of production have to do with the economy? Nothing at all. Lower input prices could have as much to do with it as falling consumer demand.

You're making quite an assumption saying that it's because that's what the system's objective price is, especially considering that you have nothing but your opinion to back that assertion up.

Just admit it, you're a PS3 fanboy.

InvisibleJack Albertson
bismillah rahmani rahim
Male User Gallery

#9475436 - 12/21/08 10:03 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

what does cost of production not have to do with the economy?  Is microsoft unphased by the economic woes? i figured they would be as bad off as anyone else right now due to the fact that they get most of their sales in the US. i just layed out some things that happened, it's not my opinion that the price of x box dropped and ps3 didnt. I was just saying i doubt things happened like that on accident. it's not like what i said didnt make any sense. If it were cheaper to make the ps3 im sure it would be the same price as the xbox, but it aint. that's why i said you get what you pay for, how am i false in saying that? And if i were a fanboy just making up crap to save face i would gladly say so, but that's not the case, i just call it like i see it.

--------------------
TRANSCEND

OfflinePsyclown
You can't spell Crap without Rap
Male

Loc: GA
    #9477505 - 12/22/08 10:28 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

As someone with both systems, I've unfortunately gotta back the 360. I was a die hard playstation fan until the PS3. My stack of 360 games is easily twice as big. The PS3 is a good system, it just doesn't have the library that it should.  :2cents:

--------------------
Diplomacy is the art of saying "nice doggie" until you can find a rock - Will Rogers

Offlinecoda
Banjo Goiter
Male

Re: CNN Money : Sony Playstation 3 A "Sinking Ship" [Re: Psyclown]
    #9481461 - 12/23/08 01:01 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

im an elite gamer as ive been playing for well over a decade.

I lol'ed pretty hard at this.  I guess that makes an ultra elite super fantastical holy mother of god im awesome gamer since i've been playing video games for 24 years now.  My first game was played on an Apple II e, my first console was a colecovision.  Playing video games for a long period of time does not make you elite anything, it makes you a video game player.  Whoop de fucking doo, if that was a serious argument to why your point is better, you sir have failed.

Personally, the video game systems today are so close technologically it's really hard to discern between the two.  One has blue ray and is a better media player, one has a better online community and a cheaper price tag.  But in the end, graphically, control wise, content wise, they're pretty much similar.  Yes, you can argue that the playstation may be more advanced but no ones taking advantage of it right now.  But in the end that's crap, because if no ones taking advantage of it right now who cares?  Why should i prefer one system over the other because of the possibility of POTENTIAL it may have.

Anyone who's been involved in any type of technology in the past 15 years or so knows that hardware becomes obsolete in a relatively short amount of time.  There already designing prototypes for the new "next gen" systems.  So, if the PS3 doesn't utilize it's potential power before the new kid on the block shows up, who cares?

You can say the same thing about the media argument behind the PS3.  If you don't have a nice stereo system, an HDTV, Blueray means jack shit and who the fuck cares what else it can do.  While it can be argued that at the very least, well for the time period anyways, the PS3 was the best bang for your buck if you wanted a blueray player, that argument means jack shit if you don't have the other necessary hardware to support it.  Now you can find acceptable blueray players for around 200 bucks, of course you can't play games or chat with friends, but if you're not a gamer you can buy a cheaper blueray player (or a player and an xbox for the price of the PS3).

That's not to say that the 360 is a shining example of how to do things with a console system.  Obviously MS didn't learn from their amazing amount of design flaws from their original xbox line.  Heat issues, hardware failures, dvd-rom problems, still plague their new systems just like they did with the old.  The only thing they did differently was make it less like a PC and more like a console to prevent hackers from breaking in and learning how to fix the damn things themselves.  I repaired my own xbox three times when my hard drives crapped out on me, i can't do that with the 360.  Cheaper price then a PS3?  Don't get me wrong, it might be cheaper, but IIRC the cheapest model comes sans Hard Drive.  So, in the end, if you want to keep a lot of save games you'll either have to shell out for more memory cards, or if you're smart just go out and buy a damn hard drive.  So, really, how much cash did you save?

You can argue the content issue on both sides really.  A lot of the newer, hot, titles coming out are cross platform.  Console exclusivity is rapidly shrinking.  Sure you can get GOW on xbox, but you can also get Resistance or Killzone on PS3.  You can sit and pick at which exclusive titles are better, but in the end (and for the most part) preference for video games is merely a matter of opinion.  Sure, there are some terribad games out there that you can't make an argument for.  But if someone prefers FPS, and another prefers driving sims, you're gonna get the argument of "GOW SUCKS!", "WELL FUCK YOU, GT SUCKS MORE!".  Or even on the same lines, a console exclusive driving sim on the xbox 360 compared to gran turismo may really just boil down to a matter of personal preference.

In the end, these things play fucking video games.  Yes, you should be smart about plunking down your cash on a system that can cost 500 bucks, i give you that.  Anyone who's lived through the 3DO, jaguar, and "32 bit" system days knows all too well about rushing out and buying something before testing the waters.  However, it really seems like nintendo, microsoft, and sony have carved themselves a nice hold onto the console market.  Sony may have bit off a bit more then it could chew with it's new system, but i have no doubt in my mind that they aren't going anywhere fast.  How long has the PS2 been released?  They're still making BRAND NEW games for it.  I just purchased Persona 4 for my girlfriend as a xmas gift on the PS2.  MS is MS, they have the belief that if you throw enough money at a problem you can fix it.  They're not going anywhere either.  Unless the bottom completely falls out from underneath the video game market, they'll be here to stay trying to earn as much cash from you as possible.

So, really, who cares which one is better?  Find out what games you like to play and which console has more of those titles.  Find out what consoles your friends owns and buy one to play online with them.  These arguments about PS3 vs Xbox 360 are just dumb, pointless, and lead nowhere.  What matters is finding a fit for whats right for you, not what some "elite gamer" throws out there as the absolute truth.

/rant.

--------------------

-JG

Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#9481621 - 12/23/08 02:16 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

i just bought a few ps2 games today, i hope they are still playable these ps3 games have spoiled me a bit i think.  i can't believe how hard it was to find the games tho, i was shopping at target and all they had was the newest releases.  they had a greatest hits section but the only thing i could find was res evil 4 and kingdom of hearts 2, i heard koh 2 was good but i didn't quite realize what it was about until i picked up the box and seen ducks/various other cartoons lol

anyways ps3 is slow as hell to get there exclusives out the door but things are really starting to pick up for it im thinking.  games are way to dam expensive tho all around.  freakin old ass ps2 games running for $20 is just rape.  im hopin to get god of wars and shadow of collosus soon, i heard there pretty epic along with final fantasy XII

--------------------

InvisibleJack Albertson
bismillah rahmani rahim
Male User Gallery

#9483591 - 12/23/08 02:21 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

coda said:
Quote:

im an elite gamer as ive been playing for well over a decade.

I lol'ed pretty hard at this.  I guess that makes an ultra elite super fantastical holy mother of god im awesome gamer since i've been playing video games for 24 years now.  My first game was played on an Apple II e, my first console was a colecovision.  Playing video games for a long period of time does not make you elite anything, it makes you a video game player.  Whoop de fucking doo, if that was a serious argument to why your point is better, you sir have failed.

Personally, the video game systems today are so close technologically it's really hard to discern between the two.  One has blue ray and is a better media player, one has a better online community and a cheaper price tag.  But in the end, graphically, control wise, content wise, they're pretty much similar.  Yes, you can argue that the playstation may be more advanced but no ones taking advantage of it right now.  But in the end that's crap, because if no ones taking advantage of it right now who cares?  Why should i prefer one system over the other because of the possibility of POTENTIAL it may have.

Anyone who's been involved in any type of technology in the past 15 years or so knows that hardware becomes obsolete in a relatively short amount of time.  There already designing prototypes for the new "next gen" systems.  So, if the PS3 doesn't utilize it's potential power before the new kid on the block shows up, who cares?

You can say the same thing about the media argument behind the PS3.  If you don't have a nice stereo system, an HDTV, Blueray means jack shit and who the fuck cares what else it can do.  While it can be argued that at the very least, well for the time period anyways, the PS3 was the best bang for your buck if you wanted a blueray player, that argument means jack shit if you don't have the other necessary hardware to support it.  Now you can find acceptable blueray players for around 200 bucks, of course you can't play games or chat with friends, but if you're not a gamer you can buy a cheaper blueray player (or a player and an xbox for the price of the PS3).

That's not to say that the 360 is a shining example of how to do things with a console system.  Obviously MS didn't learn from their amazing amount of design flaws from their original xbox line.  Heat issues, hardware failures, dvd-rom problems, still plague their new systems just like they did with the old.  The only thing they did differently was make it less like a PC and more like a console to prevent hackers from breaking in and learning how to fix the damn things themselves.  I repaired my own xbox three times when my hard drives crapped out on me, i can't do that with the 360.  Cheaper price then a PS3?  Don't get me wrong, it might be cheaper, but IIRC the cheapest model comes sans Hard Drive.  So, in the end, if you want to keep a lot of save games you'll either have to shell out for more memory cards, or if you're smart just go out and buy a damn hard drive.  So, really, how much cash did you save?

You can argue the content issue on both sides really.  A lot of the newer, hot, titles coming out are cross platform.  Console exclusivity is rapidly shrinking.  Sure you can get GOW on xbox, but you can also get Resistance or Killzone on PS3.  You can sit and pick at which exclusive titles are better, but in the end (and for the most part) preference for video games is merely a matter of opinion.  Sure, there are some terribad games out there that you can't make an argument for.  But if someone prefers FPS, and another prefers driving sims, you're gonna get the argument of "GOW SUCKS!", "WELL FUCK YOU, GT SUCKS MORE!".  Or even on the same lines, a console exclusive driving sim on the xbox 360 compared to gran turismo may really just boil down to a matter of personal preference.

In the end, these things play fucking video games.  Yes, you should be smart about plunking down your cash on a system that can cost 500 bucks, i give you that.  Anyone who's lived through the 3DO, jaguar, and "32 bit" system days knows all too well about rushing out and buying something before testing the waters.  However, it really seems like nintendo, microsoft, and sony have carved themselves a nice hold onto the console market.  Sony may have bit off a bit more then it could chew with it's new system, but i have no doubt in my mind that they aren't going anywhere fast.  How long has the PS2 been released?  They're still making BRAND NEW games for it.  I just purchased Persona 4 for my girlfriend as a xmas gift on the PS2.  MS is MS, they have the belief that if you throw enough money at a problem you can fix it.  They're not going anywhere either.  Unless the bottom completely falls out from underneath the video game market, they'll be here to stay trying to earn as much cash from you as possible.

So, really, who cares which one is better?  Find out what games you like to play and which console has more of those titles.  Find out what consoles your friends owns and buy one to play online with them.  These arguments about PS3 vs Xbox 360 are just dumb, pointless, and lead nowhere.  What matters is finding a fit for whats right for you, not what some "elite gamer" throws out there as the absolute truth.

/rant.

:blah: youve been alive longer than me, if youve been playing for 24 years you are too. Im glad you disagree with me join the club you can start by making your posts shorter. Btw the longer you do something the better you get at it dont be so dense.

Edited by Jack Albertson (12/23/08 02:23 PM)

Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#9484258 - 12/23/08 04:44 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

ive been playing almost as long as coda,  i remember police quest on my old apple computer lol and silent hunter sub game. 

i remember when you had to leave the house to play at the arcade, and i remember my first console the atari but i can't remember which version it was. i just remember all the crazy games

anyways just because we have gamed for a long time doesn't mean we are experts, we have flaws as well due to having played for so long, its harder to have fun at gaming for me at least now...i know what good games are and what they should have but don't.

--------------------

InvisibleJack Albertson
bismillah rahmani rahim
Male User Gallery

Re: CNN Money : Sony Playstation 3 A "Sinking Ship" [Re: makaveli8x8]
    #9484292 - 12/23/08 04:51 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

no one ever used the term expert. I said elite, and it's true. Everything has stages beginner up, you cant be a beginner forever. And knowing what a game needs is more than most can do, that's why they hire people with experience for beta testing.

--------------------
TRANSCEND

OfflineCannabischarlie
Resident badass
 User Gallery

Re: CNN Money : Sony Playstation 3 A [Re: Ythan]
    #17749627 - 02/05/13 01:39 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Ythan said:
Whaaa? Console fanbois on my Shroomery? Also known as people who wanted both, but could only get one. :smirk: Really, who the fuck cares? 90% of the games are cross-platform anyway.

this.

--------------------
This section of the signature line has been intentionally left blank.

we could all use a little more sunshine.

:shrug: yeah, she's funny and somewhat interesting.  not a beauty queen, but not bad lookin.  i'd feel quite honored to fuck janine garofalo.
-tiny_rabid_birds

OfflineHajnal
(ノ´ヮ´)ノ*:・゚✧

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: New Eden
Re: CNN Money : Sony Playstation 3 A [Re: Cannabischarlie]
    #17757160 - 02/06/13 05:05 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Bumping a 4yr old thread now that PS3 sales are beating 360? Good man! (No sarcasm, PS3 is way better :heart: )

--------------------
Hajnal ['hɒjnɒl] - An elegant mixture of blood and circuitry; sorrow and love fill your systems, like the stars and black holes encompass the ∞.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds