Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemyshoeisuntied
journeyman
mutations
    #942029 - 10/08/02 06:48 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I was wondering if it was possible to force mutations, for example i think i read some where that mushrooms are effected by petrolium products(gasoline, tar, etc) Has anyone ever experimented with this, such as placing a small amount on a pinhead? or maybe im just stupid

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
Re: mutations [Re: myshoeisuntied]
    #942313 - 10/08/02 08:50 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Why would you want to create aborts, or stunted, mishappen gnarly shrooms :frown:?

Gasoline is a toxic substance. It would cause an abort - quick :crazy:.

6T :tongue: 

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

Offlinemyshoeisuntied
journeyman
Re: mutations [Re: SixTango]
    #942453 - 10/08/02 09:56 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Sorry but please dont post a response that is of little aid, Im interested, in how mutations occur, i find it interesting, i simply want to know if it is possible to induce mutations

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

#942469 - 10/08/02 10:02 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Just mix in some chemical fertilizer into a substrate, then don't fan after it is colonized. You will get some mutants.

6T

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

Offlinebowling-name
sleuth

Loc: Mirror in the Sky
    #942477 - 10/08/02 10:07 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

There are many ways to induce mutations. Insure that during all stages of cultivation, that the mushrooms receive absolutely no light. Fail to provide air circulation, raising CO2 levels to excessive levels (this may cause contamination as well). Gasoline will result in "rosecomb," an abnormality that looks like a type of honeycomb forming on top of your fruitbodies. Other chemicals will induce unique mutations. Try insecticides, chlorine-containing products, etc. Administration of chemicals could be accomplished by misting or swabbing. Post pics of your most disturbing results.

I'm not certain of this, but if you were to clone a naturally malformed fruitbody, propagating it over successive generations, you would eventually get fruitbodies that grew abnormally under normal conditions (I'm speculating this is how sporeworks got their strain of "penis envy" to look so much like a male member).

InvisibleChampion des Champignons
long standing member;)

Loc: Alba
IMHO [Re: myshoeisuntied]
    #943539 - 10/08/02 04:54 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

blah, what far too many people refer to as "mutations" would be more correctly referred to as "deformities" IMHO. Mutations are genetic changes that will carry over to the next generation etc. Deformities such as rosecomb are caused by environmental factors, and will not be passed on to future generations.
IMHO etc. :smile::):):):) 

--------------------
---------------------------------------------------
hmmm........

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

Re: IMHO [Re: Champion des Champignons]
    #943700 - 10/08/02 05:46 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

**too much caffeine, I'll cut it down to 'I agree with CDC'

If you just want wierdness, take a very very thin coating of vaseline on your finger and swipe a couple developing mushroom caps. They go nuts.

Edited by Suntzu (10/08/02 07:05 PM)

Invisiblezeta
Stranger

Re: IMHO [Re: Suntzu]
    #943928 - 10/08/02 07:26 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Somebody should hold a contest for the most weirdly deformed mushroom  :tongue:

OfflineFeelers
Anti-Myth-Rhythm-Rock-Shocker
Male User Gallery

Loc: Land of Oz
Re: IMHO [Re: zeta]
    #944131 - 10/08/02 08:54 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Has anyone ever put a mold over a growing shroom, like how they put boxes around water melons in japan to make them square? You could come up with some crazy shit, a rhomboid shroom would be wicked as.

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Re: IMHO [Re: Champion des Champignons]
    #944170 - 10/08/02 09:17 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

C-D-C is correct. Deformities, is the proper term, not mutants. 6T :tongue:

--------------------

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
Re: IMHO [Re: SixTango]
    #944602 - 10/09/02 04:44 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

First of all, Penis Envy isn't spore works although they do sell it. They didn't do the breeding with it to get it's unique appearance. The earliest I ever saw it was from Spores and Magic based out of Seattle. They sell many strains not often found in the OMC, many from Earle. Penis Envy is a mutant which sprang from some type of Amazonian genetics. It's a mutant because it breeds true, not a deformed shroom.

Second, if you look to any type of chemical mutagen, DO NOT EAT THE FRUITS! Perhaps after breeding them for several generation without the mutagen they MIGHT be safe, but they very well could be dangerous.

Some types of pesticides cause very interesting MUTATIONS whcih can be consumed after the second mutagen free generation. Good luck.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Invisiblewhiterasta
Day careobserver
 User Gallery
Loc: Oregon
Re: IMHO [Re: mycofile]
    #944750 - 10/09/02 06:09 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

One has to wonder about the classic teratogenic, colchicine,and what effect if any it might have.......I do have an alder bed with crocus planted very nearby :tongue: It is a very poor bed (the first I ever made and is several yrs old ) but I have never noticed any man eating 60' cyans in the bed,but then I haven't seen but maybe 40 fruits in 3yrs from this one :wink: ) It would be an interesting experiment to expose spores in the manner that one would expose a seed to a dilute solution then germinate(if possible,mortality among seeds is quite high)to observe for obvious mutations microscopicly,and then if possible attempt a fruiting and spore collection,And look for mutation in the fruit.This may not even present as a visible deformity or change ,but could manifest microscopicly in many stuctures.The basidia are good places to begin looking as the reproductive structures are often easier to affect geneticly than many other tissue types.Interesting line of thought but I'll let nature do the rearranging. Peace WR :smile:

--------------------
To old for this place

Offlinemyshoeisuntied
journeyman
Re: IMHO [Re: whiterasta]
    #945977 - 10/09/02 02:26 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

could someone post a picture of a mutation or deformity?

Invisiblezeta
Stranger

Re: IMHO [Re: myshoeisuntied]
    #946295 - 10/09/02 04:21 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Try this thread, Best Mutant Contest

OfflineMsPacMan
Stranger

Loc: Florida, USA
Re: IMHO [Re: zeta]
    #947407 - 10/09/02 08:50 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

How late into fruiting should you put the vaseline on? and would the insecticides make the shrooms toxic if my lizard was to try it?

de-=-

OfflineChuangTzu
starvingphysicist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: IMHO [Re: MsPacMan]
    #949965 - 10/10/02 03:23 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

i read somewhere (in a paper i think) that ultraviolet radiation can induce mutations in mushrooms. probably dosing them from germination would be the best way to do that. you'd need to figure out how much to give them and how often. a regular black light may be sufficient to knock up some of their DNA since they are fairly unprotected.

Offlineaural
Hola Amigos!
Loc: The Desert In The Spring
Re: mutations [Re: SixTango]
    #951863 - 10/11/02 03:52 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

In reply to:

Gasoline is a toxic substance. It would cause an abort - quick

Not necessarily true.
Stamets has detoxified a deisel contaminated bus yard with Oyster mushrooms.Not only did they clean up the deisel,but the mushrooms that grew there were tested and found to be safe to eat.

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
Re: IMHO [Re: whiterasta]
    #952127 - 10/11/02 05:46 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Colchicine is very dangerous. Keep your experiments quite if you decide to try them at all so as to not encourage it's use. For all you kids out there who don't know, COLCHICINE CAN BE DEADLY, if you don't know how to safely work with it, DON'T RISK IT.
On the other hand, I wonder if anybody ever noticed in TMC or GG&MM that stamets sites a study where very dilute colchicine was used in soaking tanks for shitake logs and yield was increased? He calls it a hormone, and at that stage in such dilute concentrations I wonder if it is acting in it's typical manner, or if there is some other mechanism by which it works in low concentrations.

DO NOT EAT MUSHROOMS MUTATED WITH COLCHICINE UNTIL THE SECOND OR THIRD COLCHICINE FREE GENERATION!

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom