Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5  [ show all ]
Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: Illinois Governor Arrested For Selling Vacant US Senate Seat [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #9423304 - 12/13/08 09:01 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Icelander thinks that I'm a racist because I use the word Negro when talking about Negroes.  Odd.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinezouden
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Australia
Re: Illinois Governor Arrested For Selling Vacant US Senate Seat [Re: zappaisgod]
    #9423318 - 12/13/08 09:07 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

It's not that odd. I think it's a bit strange for you to use that term. It'd be like me going around talking about "the Jew". Even if it's technically okay, it still makes you sound old-fashioned and a bit racist. Just sayin' :shrug:

--------------------
I know... that just the smallest
                                                part of the world belongs to me
You know... I'm not a blind man
                                                    but truth is the hardest thing to see

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: Illinois Governor Arrested For Selling Vacant US Senate Seat [Re: zouden]
    #9423352 - 12/13/08 09:19 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

When the United Negro College Fund changes its name I might give one inch of credence to that notion.  I also find every other term inaccurate.  They aren't black and African can be quite white.  At what point in my ancestry did I cease to be Irish-, German-, Scottish-, English-, Passamaquoddy-, whatever the fuck else I am-American?

As someone married to a Jew I find nothing bigoted whatsoever in the use of the phrase, the Jew, depending, of course, on how it is rendered.  There is nothing intrinsically racist or whatever in either of those words.  Nigger and kike have different connotations.  Negro and Jew?  Nope.  I use "homo" a lot as well.  Faggot and dyke are pejorative.  Gay is ridiculous.  Homo is accurate.

--------------------

OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
Re: Illinois Governor Arrested For Selling Vacant US Senate Seat [Re: zappaisgod]
    #9423693 - 12/13/08 11:36 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Are the planets aligned?

Once again, we are in agreement.

I have never said African-American in my life.  What a laughable term.  About as apt as calling myself a Caucasian.

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: Illinois Governor Arrested For Selling Vacant US Senate Seat [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #9423894 - 12/13/08 12:25 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

A veritable syzygy.

--------------------

OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
    #9423998 - 12/13/08 12:46 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I had to look that up.

I like it.

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: Illinois Governor Arrested For Selling Vacant US Senate Seat [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #9424033 - 12/13/08 12:53 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

You may well end up with a vocabulary before I'm done with you.  Not much else, but a vocabulary for sure.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5  [ show all ]