Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisiblethePatient
Criminal Bodhisattva
Male User Gallery

Loc: Indiana Flag
Coolmist humidifier for FAE and Perlite?
    #9412430 - 12/11/08 12:13 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Ok... so i've been doing my research coupled with my own experimenting at home. I started off with a cool-mist humidifier to produce the required RH. I bought a plastic tub, set it inside and turned it on for a couple days to see how high the humidity would get. It was successful, the humidity got to 95% and above. So next, i modded my coolmist so that the unit could sit right on top of the lid and I piped the air down into the chamber then sealed it all off with adhesive. Now for some reason, the coolmist alone wont get the Fruiting Chamber up to the desired 95% RH - so my question is... Can i use the Coolmist humidifer to produce FAE and then line the bottom of the chamber with a little bit of perlite also?
If i used both Perlite and the Coolmist, would i still have to put holes in the bottom of the chamber for gas to leave AND fan and mist it everyday like it was only perlite?
Thanks.

--------------------
T h e r e  a r e  n o  o r d i n a r y  m o m e n t s.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Coolmist humidifier for FAE and Perlite? [Re: thePatient]
    #9412471 - 12/11/08 12:20 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Why go to all that trouble when perlite alone will give 95% and greater, and all you need is holes in the terrarium for air exchange?  There's no need to put roller skates on an elephant.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Invisibleuncle_rico
my own worst enemy
Male User Gallery

#9412483 - 12/11/08 12:23 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I wonder if the coolmist inside the chamber is the reason for the higher RH ..  ie., the intake air is already humidified, it gets water particles impelled into it and the outlet air is even more humid .... and the cycle continues.

Now, you've got the coolmist outside the chamber ... the intake air is less humid .... the intake air is always the humidity of the room air ..... so the RH in the chamber doesn't get as high as when the coolmist is in the chamber and the intake air is already humidified.

You could run the coolmist in the room and go with a perlite humidified shotgun FC. 

Many ways to do it ..

edit:  Pink Shirt is a fast typist.

Edited by uncle_rico (12/11/08 12:26 PM)

InvisiblethePatient
Criminal Bodhisattva
Male User Gallery

Loc: Indiana Flag
Re: Coolmist humidifier for FAE and Perlite? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #9413811 - 12/11/08 04:15 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I was trying to avoid using perlite, so I rigged this coolmist up to the tub so i wouldn't have to fan and mist it every day. I'm going out to get some perlite, but i was just trying to save this FC. Thought maybe a little perlite would bring up the RH, and the coolmist would make it so i wouldnt have to fan it everyday because of its FAE abilities.

--------------------
T h e r e  a r e  n o  o r d i n a r y  m o m e n t s.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #9414539 - 12/11/08 05:59 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

so i wouldn't have to fan and mist it every day.

Air exchange is the number one pinning trigger.  Humidity is farther down the list.  Perhaps the number 2 pinning trigger is a loss of moisture from the substrate.  If you try to avoid misting by constantly pumping in wet air, you don't have a loss of moisture from the substrate and performance is poor.

You want constant air exchange, and then as the cake or other substrate dries out, you mist to replace the lost moisture.  This dry-wet cycle is a MAJOR pinning trigger. There is no automated system that can replace your eyeballs and mister.  I'm an electrical engineer by profession with a specialty in automation, so believe me when I say if the whole process could be automated, I'd have done it years ago.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags