Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Amanita Muscaria Store Amanita Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineZodiacz
Simply Amazing
Loc: Over Here Now
Fly Agarics, Anybody taken a trip?
    #935352 - 10/05/02 08:58 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I just went on a mush hunt today for edibles in my area (Northeast) and got some Amanita Muscaria var. Formosa in a pine scrub forest. They have a beautiful golden tone with a slight oranging at the center of the speckled fleck cap. My question is for anyone who has actually tried some of these and if you found it worthwhile. I am a bit hesitant to try it even though I am confident in my identification of it. I have read as much as I could and there is a mixed bag of reports. Everything from mild nausea followed by euphoric clarity to hellish trips that wound up in the emergency room. So what can you tell me? :confused: 

--------------------
YUM YUM EAT EM UP !

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Fly Agarics, Anybody taken a trip? [Re: Zodiacz]
    #936349 - 10/06/02 11:25 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I can tell you that I know several people who have tried them, and all of them say they wouldn't do it again. All of them found it to be unpleasant.

As far as your specimen, you need to be certain that it isn't one of the wrong species. Amanita is not a good genus to experiment in. More people die of eating these mushrooms than all other kinds put together. How do you know it's Amanita muscaria and not another species? Color of cap (in the formosa variety) is not a good identifying character - there are many Amanitas with similar yellowish coloration.

Before you eat you mushroom, please get an expert to verify what species it is.

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineStInvetroThomas
Damn straight I'm a hunter.
Male User Gallery
Loc: Estonia
Re: Fly Agarics, Anybody taken a trip? [Re: ToxicMan]
    #937031 - 10/06/02 04:45 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I just found a dozen of those as well..I know for certain that mine are var. formosa. If you have a guide book, you can easily narrow it down to formosa and exclude the other ones. Formosa are larger, fruit when it is a little warmer as opposed to cooler like frosts amanita, and the caps fully expand on formosa too...but get a guide book to be certain...haven't tried these yet, but I am looking forward to it...much different trip from what I hear more liek a dream quest, not for just gettin high. Check out the movie altered states with William Hurt.

Cheers

--------------------
"...I found dozens of single specimens.  That's what I call hunting.  There are only a few "good" hunters here, even now.  You're certainly in that group.  I would imagine if we hunted together we'd find our styles are similar."
- Mr. Mushrooms

RIP Matt, your friendship and your contributions to the world of fungi will be missed. Unfortunately we never got to hunt together.

St Thomas

OfflineZodiacz
Simply Amazing
    #938009 - 10/06/02 10:33 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Thank You for your input. I had decided against it, and you confirmed my suspicion that it was not worth the risk. I will try to post some pictures for validation of the identity of this amanita. The spore print was pure white. There are many growing in this area and it would have been good to be able to harvest some if there were not so much at risk with amanitas. Thanks Again!

--------------------
YUM YUM EAT EM UP !

OfflineZodiacz
Simply Amazing
Re: Fly Agarics, Anybody taken a trip? [Re: StInvetroThomas]
    #938037 - 10/06/02 10:43 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Yes, I do have a guide book and am 95% sure these are var. Formosa. They were fully opened and a very handsome specimen to see in the wild. I just am not 100% and am not willing to bet that 5% on an Amanita. I am too new to Mycology and do not have any experienced guides to ask locally. For now I will stick with the delicious orange boletes I found to have with dinner. Please let me know how you make out with them, though and have a good trip :smile: 

--------------------
YUM YUM EAT EM UP !

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #938228 - 10/06/02 11:47 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

If you post some photos, make sure you have good photos of the volva and base of the stem - we need to see that to ID Amanitas. The appearance of the ring is also important.

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineZodiacz
Simply Amazing
    #939198 - 10/07/02 08:41 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Here are a few pics of the Amanita, I cut the volva off to leave it in the ground where I found it. Let me know if you think this is a var. Formosa. 

:tongue: 

--------------------
YUM YUM EAT EM UP !

Offlinecomario2
amateur

Loc: between places
    #939333 - 10/07/02 09:40 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

i think they are formosa, but do not rely on me for ingestion. Assuming they are formosa (i believe so) my understanding is that this variety of muscaria is way more toxic (i.e. UNPLEASANT) than its european/syberian cousins, traditionally used for entheogenic purposes. so, be wary

--------------------
comario

"crusaders against emotional poverty"

Offlineviscid
dikaryon
I'm a teapot

Loc: the mycological center of...
    #939388 - 10/07/02 09:56 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

--------------------
You do not know me.

You can't see me.

OfflineBigShooter
Master
Loc: Willamette Valley OR
    #941217 - 10/07/02 08:20 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I've collected literally truck loads of Amanita muscaria from Michigan's Upper Peninsula in the consecutive midsummers of 1995-1998. They are usually chuck full of maggots and bacteria, so it is a good idea to dry them out and then microwave them to kill all the crap living in them, which will reduce the nausea. The effect IS unpleasant only if you eat a lot. It's kind of neat at milder doses. You can peel the skins off the caps, dry and smoke them for a mild effect which would likely be free of any amanitins.

Edited by BigShooter (10/07/02 08:25 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Amanita Muscaria Store Amanita Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder