Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Boomr Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineronjohn7779
Stranger

Okay to break up bulk substrate to stop stalled colonization?
    #9386818 - 12/07/08 06:07 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Basically I had a stalled colonization with my first tub... http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/9384997/an/0/page/0

I ended up just breaking everything up cleaned the tub and placed it back in the monotub. My tub was 100% colonized on top not on the bottom and when I went to dunk it.... well all hell came loose. (read about it if you want)

Now I'm concerned my second tub could have similar growth going on. I imagine the coco coir was too wet or two dry.

Now would it be okay for me to break up my bulk so I got an even grow out if it?

With my second tub I'd obviously use standard sterile procedures. Would this be okay? It's just like breaking up a jar at 30% colonization to get even and faster growth. I don't want my second tub to go to waste. Just like my first tub might...(I'm still hoping my first tub will make a turn around).

--------------------
"Lennox Lewis, I'm coming for you man. My style is impetuous. My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat his children. Praise be to Allah!" An American Hero Iron Mike!

Edited by ronjohn7779 (12/07/08 06:10 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedrjugglz
Evil ScientistExtraordanaire!
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Okay to break up bulk substrate to stop stalled colonization? [Re: ronjohn7779]
    #9387045 - 12/07/08 06:34 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

when i first used coir i had the same problem with the substrate being too dry. and of course colonization took forever it seemed.

if fruiting and pinning hasnt begun then i dont see why you couldnt try it. what do you got to lose besides the tub? you can always make more jars and do another tub. if youre running out of spores or whatever... im sure some of us around here could help you out... :wink:

good luck

:mushroom2:

--------------------
“To use your head you have to go out of your mind.”
~ Timothy Leary

Offlineronjohn7779
Stranger

Re: Okay to break up bulk substrate to stop stalled colonization? [Re: drjugglz]
    #9387139 - 12/07/08 06:49 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

drjugglz said:
when i first used coir i had the same problem with the substrate being too dry. and of course colonization took forever it seemed.

if fruiting and pinning hasnt begun then i dont see why you couldnt try it. what do you got to lose besides the tub? you can always make more jars and do another tub. if youre running out of spores or whatever... im sure some of us around here could help you out... :wink:

good luck

:mushroom2:

Yeah I'm almost out of spores. So this hasn't helped.  My first tub didn't colonize in the middle all the way. I have no clue what stopped it. There wasn't any yellow myc piss so there wasn't a bacterial infection, it didn't prematurely fruit so that was another good sign, it smelled great and looked great to. I just assume the bulk was too wet or too dry.

I just want to avoid this for my second tub...I hope that's not whats going on.

--------------------
"Lennox Lewis, I'm coming for you man. My style is impetuous. My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat his children. Praise be to Allah!" An American Hero Iron Mike!

OfflineStimpy913
Happy Happy Joy Joy
 User Gallery
Re: Okay to break up bulk substrate to stop stalled colonization? [Re: ronjohn7779]
    #9387692 - 12/07/08 08:01 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

put something besides polyfill on the tub holes. It'll get too much fresh air for colonization. I'd use micropore tape if you got it.  Usually you wont have to take the polyfill off for colonization but if your sub was at field capacity when you spawned to it, it shouldn't be drying out.  Might want to mist it to get it moist again, and re-mix if you have to.    You could pour some water into it, and if you use the right amount of verm added it should hold the water in better and stay at field capacity.

--------------------
How to talk to cops

Offlineronjohn7779
Stranger

Re: Okay to break up bulk substrate to stop stalled colonization? [Re: Stimpy913]
    #9388589 - 12/07/08 10:03 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I don't think anyone reads what other people write...I think I've established I had no clue what was wrong with tub it could have been dry, it could have been wet, it could have even been infected at the bottom, it could have hand no FAE. Who knows. It looked 100% colonized but obviously it wasn't for some reason. I really don't care about the reasons. It could be a million things.

My only question was if it was okay to remix bulk sub to gain 100% colonization. That's it. Anything else I wrote was just tell people why I did do it and why I wanted to do it to my second tub. All I want to make sure is that I get my tubs 100% colonized and I was wonder if it was a good idea to break up the bulk like some one would with a jar Obviously this opens up chances for contamination, but so does uncolonized bulk between a layer of fungus and a plastic bag in a giant tub....

Basically I don't care about the moisture of the bulk... whatever happen happened for whatever reasons that I don't know.

Obviously my first tub went to all hell and I remixed it when it broke up during a dunk (prefruiting). I only did that because it was the only way to potently save the tub. Obviously I know how to hydrate a monotub...I know how to mist...dunk...ect..

I was only wondering if breaking up the sub was a good idea to get thing to be 100% colonized like in a jar...Thats it. I don't care about field capacity or any other jazz right now. Sorry to be a jerk this whole situation is just pissing me off.

It also doesn't help when people miss read things or go on tangents. Not really refering to this thread as some things were relevant and obviously somethings weren't. On a side note some of my other threads like my last one on what happened to my monotub just got some really weird answers.

Above all sorry I'm just venting and don't mean to sound like an ungrateful bitch for the advice!:thumbup:

Edited by ronjohn7779 (12/07/08 10:11 PM)

OfflineHybridprX
Biodegrader of coir
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
    #9388788 - 12/07/08 10:26 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I glanced at your first thread to take a look at the substrate, It is not fully colonized from what I can tell, there's a massive portion of uncolonized coir.

Long story short, I couldn't find any suitable containers to pasteurize a couple of bricks of coir so I ended up rinsing out the bucket I wash my floors with, cleaned it with bleach and the works, set my coir in, pasteurized and spawned, two weeks later after it finished colonizing the surface I set to fruit, waited 14 days and said screw this and tore it up, sure enough mycelium was running only portions of it on the inside, decided on bacteria in the coir from the floor that pasteurizing would not kill, I recently used the left overs and had another problem, fully colonized but trich showed up. Could have just been bad luck, could have been excess sunflower seed oil but my hunch leans towards weakened mycelium from fighting bacteria.

How clean was your environment when you pasteurized?

--------------------

Offlinedrjugglz
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Okay to break up bulk substrate to stop stalled colonization? [Re: HybridprX]
    #9388859 - 12/07/08 10:34 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

no its all good advice here...

for colonization you want no less than 5000-10000 ppm of C02.

so like what was suggested earlier is that maybe you are getting too much fresh air to the substrate also. thats a possibility too. but maybe unlikely. check the substrate moisture content and take note where you messed up this time.

PM me if you have any questions or about some spores dude. ill see what i can do for you.

--------------------
~ Timothy Leary

Offlineronjohn7779
Stranger

Re: Okay to break up bulk substrate to stop stalled colonization? [Re: HybridprX]
    #9388868 - 12/07/08 10:35 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

HybridprX said:
I glanced at your first thread to take a look at the substrate, It is not fully colonized from what I can tell, there's a massive portion of uncolonized coir.

Long story short, I couldn't find any suitable containers to pasteurize a couple of bricks of coir so I ended up rinsing out the bucket I wash my floors with, cleaned it with bleach and the works, set my coir in, pasteurized and spawned, two weeks later after it finished colonizing the surface I set to fruit, waited 14 days and said screw this and tore it up, sure enough mycelium was running only portions of it on the inside, decided on bacteria in the coir from the floor that pasteurizing would not kill, I recently used the left overs and had another problem, fully colonized but trich showed up. Could have just been bad luck, could have been excess sunflower seed oil but my hunch leans towards weakened mycelium from fighting bacteria.

How clean was your environment when you pasteurized?

You can eat off my bathroom floor...if that's telling you how clean my whole house is. I did all of the work in my room which is impeccably clean. I know for a fact this tub couldn't have had any sort of weird bacterial problems. I had no weird smells or little to no MYC piss. Nor did I have any early pinning. This leads me to think everything was healthy. I bet either the sub was too wet or too dry. It also was straight coco coir so it could have just got tired of colonizing on the same material. Who knows.

We'll see how my first tub recolonizes. So far it's recolonizing quite fine after todays traumatic experience.

I really am curious of this would help out my second tub if it's in similar shape which I think it might be.

--------------------

Offlinedrjugglz
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9388993 - 12/07/08 10:51 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

yeah, if your that confident its not a contaminate (which its leading me to beleive its not). then go ahead and do the same for the 2nd. like you posted before... its like shaking up a jar to help speed up the process. i dont see what you got to lose.

if this works out you owe me a print! :lol::wink:

--------------------
~ Timothy Leary

Offlineronjohn7779
Stranger

Re: Okay to break up bulk substrate to stop stalled colonization? [Re: drjugglz]
    #9389034 - 12/07/08 10:57 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

drjugglz said:
yeah, if your that confident its not a contaminate (which its leading me to beleive its not). then go ahead and do the same for the 2nd. like you posted before... its like shaking up a jar to help speed up the process. i dont see what you got to lose.

if this works out you owe me a print! :lol::wink:

Yeah for sure dude! I was going to hook up people with some. A good deal of people wanted to try costa rica.  My second tub is of PE so I don't think I can take any prints off of that...but I'm going to try. Now this costa rica I was going to print a bunch.

Another thing that really is leading me away from the fact that first tub had any contaminations originally was the fact that currently it's recolonizing quite nicely. Hopefully it stays that way. Then again it got exposed to a world of elements...

But I think I'm going to do it to my second tub. It looks very similar to first lost of moisture and water droplets in it. I bet I made the sub a bit too wet originally.

--------------------

Edited by ronjohn7779 (12/07/08 11:00 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Boomr Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract