Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds USA West Coast Strains

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
Greg Maddux Announces Retirement
    #9373902 - 12/05/08 04:38 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

One of my favorite pitchers of all-time.  He never should have left Chicago.  I can't help but wonder, though, how many of all those outside corner strikes were actually strikes.  He got so many calls just because people expected him to throw great pitches.  Nobody else had as big a strike zone as he did.

But yeah, great player.  I like him infinitely more than his east-coast power pitching contemporaries, like Clemens or Pedro.

Quote:

Greg Maddux has thrown his last pitch.

The four-time Cy Young winner will announce his retirement Monday at the baseball winter meetings, near his home in Las Vegas.

It took Greg Maddux 23 seasons to rack up four Cy Young Awards, eight All-Star appearances, 18 Gold Gloves, one World Series ring and perhaps his most impressive accomplishment, 355 wins:

Maddux, who turns 43 in April, ranks eighth on the career wins list with 355. He went 8-13 with a 4.22 ERA last season with the San Diego Padres and Los Angeles Dodgers.

Maddux made three relief appearances in the playoffs for the Dodgers this year -- he had an 0.00 ERA over four innings -- and then filed for free agency amid speculation he would retire.

On Friday, confirmation came from the office of Maddux's agent, Scott Boras. Maddux, his family and Boras will hold a news conference at the hotel where the meetings are being held to announce one of baseball's greatest pitchers is finished.

Last month, Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti left open the possibility that Maddux would return for a 24th season in the majors.

"I told Scott we'd love to have him back, and we're not going to be closing the door on Greg Maddux anytime soon," Colletti said at the time. "I've known him for a long, long time. I respect who he is and admire him for what he's done. I know the impact he has on a club and on a franchise."

Maddux finished one win ahead of Roger Clemens on the career victory list. Overall, "Mad Dog" was 355-227 with a 3.16 ERA, and is considered a certain first-ballot Hall of Famer when he becomes eligible after five years.

Noted for impeccable control, Maddux won Cy Young Awards from 1992-95 and earned a record 18 Gold Gloves while with the Chicago Cubs, Atlanta, Dodgers and Padres.

Maddux was an eight-time All-Star and won at least 13 games in 20 straight seasons, a streak that ended this year.

The last-place Padres traded Maddux to the Dodgers on Aug. 19 for two minor leaguers to be named or cash, and went 2-4 in seven starts for Los Angeles. His last start for the NL West champions was a gem -- he beat San Francisco, giving up one run and two hits in six innings.

"He's remarkable," Dodgers manager Joe Torre said after the 2-1 victory. "I've watched and admired him from across the field. Tonight was, you could say, vintage."

Said Maddux following the win: "In all honesty, I have felt this game has given me more than I ever thought it would in the first place. I just wanted to have a good game. I haven't had many since I got here."

While Maddux finished on the West Coast, he will always be associated with top teams in Atlanta. Along with fellow 300-game winner Tom Glavine and John Smoltz, Maddux helped the Braves win division titles for more than a decade, and they won their lone World Series championship there in 1995.

Glavine and Smoltz are both in their 40s and coming off arm operations, and their futures are in doubt. Longtime teammates on the field and golfing buddies away from the field, there has long been talk that Atlanta's Big Three might someday be reunited -- with election to the Hall on the very same day.

Maddux made his major league debut in September 1986 with the Cubs. As a pinch-runner, in fact. He wound up losing that game in relief.

His brother, Mike, started his big league career three months earlier as a pitcher for Philadelphia. He recently was hired as Texas' pitching coach.

Quote:

Most Career Wins, MLB History

1. Cy Young 511
2. Walter Johnson 417
T-3. Pete Alexander 373
T-3. Christy Mathewson 373
5. Pud Galvin 364
6. Warren Spahn 363
7. Kid Nichols 361
8. Greg Maddux 355
9. Roger Clemens 354

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: Greg Maddux Announces Retirement [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #9374863 - 12/05/08 07:00 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Ahhhhhh he got the same extra strikes every star gets.  A true master and a true gentleman.  He and Mussina are both class acts baseball will miss.  Glavine too, assuming he got the memo

--------------------

Offlineskydog
Coffee & Blunts
Male User Gallery

Re: Greg Maddux Announces Retirement [Re: zappaisgod]
    #9375102 - 12/05/08 07:32 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I always thought that umpires gave Glavine about an extra 6 inches on the plate.  Anything belt-high and in the vicinity of the corner was a strike. 

Loved Maddux and Glavine.  Two of the best pitches I've ever watched play. :thumbup:

--------------------
:yesnod::thumbup:

Invisiblewhattheheck
Chief Love Lover
Male

Loc: Denver Colorado
Re: Greg Maddux Announces Retirement [Re: skydog]
    #9375962 - 12/05/08 09:40 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

The thing is, when you can hit that spot until the sun goes down and then some, you'll get the calls. I heard a couple of top notch guys discussing this once (no, not Joe Buck and Tim McCarver) and they said it's always been that way. To actually experience a guy who can hit the same spot over and over is something to behold.

And I agree, Maddux was great. I remember when I heard he signed with ATL, I was so pissed at the low balling Cubs.

--------------------
A society whose whole idea is to eliminate suffering and bring it's members the greatest amount of comfort and pleasure is doomed to be destroyed -Thomas Merton

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds USA West Coast Strains