Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinekidaihuan
First Growery Ban
 User Gallery

Loc: Shanghai, China
Reality is a crutch for people who can't cope with psychedelics.
    #9349844 - 12/02/08 08:10 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

:mushroom2:
The original quote was broader, to include all drugs, but I want to exclude non-psychedelic drugs for the purposes of this poll.
Your opinion.
You may choose only one

Votes accepted from (12/02/08 08:09 AM) to (No end specified)
View the results of this poll

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinekidaihuan
First Growery Ban
 User Gallery

Loc: Shanghai, China
Re: Reality is a crutch for people who can't cope with psychedelics. [Re: kidaihuan]
    #9349858 - 12/02/08 08:13 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

In my case it would be completely separate, but I chose the first option because I have met a lot of people that refuse to dabble in psychedelics due to the belief that they would not be able to handle it.

Offlinesky
Heir of Isildur
Male User Gallery

Re: Reality is a crutch for people who can't cope with psychedelics. [Re: kidaihuan]
    #9349894 - 12/02/08 08:25 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Some people, in my opinion, most people aren't real (lol). I mean, they exist, but they have become so trapped in their "in-game" character, they aren't able to break out of that perspecitve and actually believe that they are who they are in society.

Offlinekrypto2000
Unknown

Re: Reality is a crutch for people who can't cope with psychedelics. [Re: sky]
    #9349903 - 12/02/08 08:29 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I wouldn't say reality is a crutch for psychedelics, but that's what fit the most of the choices for me.

A more appropriate analogy imo would be that psychedelics are an extension of reality that some people may not be able to cope with.

OfflineRedrawing
Psychonaut

#9349937 - 12/02/08 08:39 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

By 'reality' in this sense I can only assume you mean the 'reality' instated by social/governmental institutions and not reality itself. If this is true, then I don't think it's fair to say that this imposed reality is a crutch, but more that the people who have never experienced the psychedelic have a limited/narrow view of the scope of what their minds are capable of.

And along with that, a closed mind towards the very real possibilities of the expanded consciousness. And a lacking in the ability to develop one's own self ethically and spiritually without the mediation of an authority figure.

But it's pretty presumptuous to assume we, as the psychedelic minority, have it all figured out while everyone else is deluding themselves. I know psychedelics are right for me, but did you ever think maybe we're the delusional ones?

--------------------

I'm an insect who dreamt he was a man and loved it, but now that dream is over and the insect is awake

Edited by Redrawing (12/02/08 08:48 AM)

InvisibleLobsterSauceDiscord
 User Gallery

#9350059 - 12/02/08 09:11 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I believe Joan Rivers said that but with drugs instead of psychedelics

--------------------

OfflineClordio
Existing is Half the Battle

Re: Reality is a crutch for people who can't cope with psychedelics. [Re: sky]
    #9350079 - 12/02/08 09:16 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

blavampire said:
Some people, in my opinion, most people aren't real (lol). I mean, they exist, but they have become so trapped in their "in-game" character, they aren't able to break out of that perspecitve and actually believe that they are who they are in society.

I have to agree here.

I used to be one of the fictitious characters running around doing exactly what I was supposed to and destined to. It wasn't until I ate the mushroom that I discovered my sense of self.

As for the poll, I don't think reality is a crutch for people who can't handle psychedelics, but I think that reality has been so misconstrued and warped that a NEW reality has come into being.

There is the reality of the squares and that of the psychonauts. It's all about perspective, because the sober people may think of psychedelics as a crutch for those who can't handle reality, their reality. This reality is one of commerce and capitalism and no individuality.

Whilst psychonauts exist in a reality where there is depth and meaning to everything beneath surface appearances. I can't tell anymore which reality is more "real" but I feel that our reality is one that exudes truth instead "buy! buy! buy! war! war! war! hate! hate! hate!"

If it were up to me I'd dump LSD in the water supply.

--------------------
:peace:

Offlinepiracetam
bioanalytical chemist
Male User Gallery

Loc: TX Flag
    #9350116 - 12/02/08 09:29 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

reality is what happens when you come down from being high.

you know, adult stuff.. sense of self-responsibility

--------------------
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is just poetry, imagination." ~Max Planck

Invisible04281969
Hobbyist
Male User Gallery

Re: Reality is a crutch for people who can't cope with psychedelics. [Re: Redrawing]
    #9350138 - 12/02/08 09:34 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Shattering one's comfortable perspective can be more stress than he/she wants to deal with.  But, is the automatic existence of sober reality a crutch?  Can one hide in a limited view of reality if it is the natural state of perception?  It's how people organize ideas that constitutes a personality or ego.  BUT, (stay with me here) being funny, or an asshole, or cool, whatever facade you want to hold up, can be a defense mechanism against facing larger issues that you don't want within your sphere of consciousness.  To have the ego melt away and realize how full of shit you are can be very upsetting.  To be so full of shit makes you an asshole a lot of times.  Is being an asshole a defense mechanism?  It can be.  Sober reality can be a shelter of sorts if you're aware of this and consciously decide to avoid the discomfort of facing up to your character flaws.  So, is reality a crutch?  Okay, why not.  You convinced me.  And sober people are assholes.

InvisibleLobsterSauceDiscord
 User Gallery

Re: Reality is a crutch for people who can't cope with psychedelics. [Re: 04281969]
    #9350213 - 12/02/08 09:49 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

04281969 said:
  To have the ego melt away and realize how full of shit you are can be very upsetting.

This is very true.This harks back to the post about black people and mushrooms.
After taking psychs,those who are into all that gang crap and feel they have to live up to that "thug life" facade they can disintegrate into a vunerable mess while tripping when they realise what dickheads they are really like in real life

--------------------

Offlinejscix
rawr
 User Gallery

Re: Reality is a crutch for people who can't cope with psychedelics. [Re: LobsterSauce]
    #9350271 - 12/02/08 10:02 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Which reality are you referring to? Reality is a construct. A preconceived way of perceiving, and interpreting your environment, and your thoughts.

Unless you're referring to objective reality? In that case, I'd say we are all pretty much all pretending to know what it is, so how can anyone hide from it?

So, no.. reality is not a crutch for non-hallucinogen using people. Hallucinogens are a means by which to explore the infinite amount of realities, that are possible.

OfflineGrapefruit
Freak in the forest
 User Gallery

Re: Reality is a crutch for people who can't cope with psychedelics. [Re: jscix]
    #9350525 - 12/02/08 10:50 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Different strokes for different folks rly.

--------------------
Little left in the way of energy; or the way of love, yet happy to entertain myself playing mental games with the rest of you freaks until the rivers run backwards. 

"Chat your fraff
Chat your fraff
Just chat your fraff
Chat your fraff"

OfflineAngel_Above
Nobody
Male

Re: Reality is a crutch for people who can't cope with psychedelics. [Re: Grapefruit]
    #9350642 - 12/02/08 11:13 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Reality is however you view the world.

If you move, you're changing your surrounding reality. When you take psychedelics, you change your reality for a few hours.

Reality never leaves us... no matter what psychedelics do to us.

OfflineOrbital_Saucer
Other
Male

Re: Reality is a crutch for people who can't cope with psychedelics. [Re: Angel_Above]
    #9350965 - 12/02/08 12:12 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I knew this thread was going to be good for a laugh. :smile:

OfflineOphanim
The Molecule'sSpirit
Male

Re: Reality is a crutch for people who can't cope with psychedelics. [Re: Orbital_Saucer]
    #9351221 - 12/02/08 12:57 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Reality is subjective. Psychedelics alter it. If you're perfectly happy with your current reality, why use psychedelics? Doesn't seem like abstaining from messing with a good thing is using said thing as a "crutch".

If you don't like your reality, then you could alter it with psychedelics. If the changes you like don't persist, then psychedelics could become a crutch. I don't think most people use them this way, however.

There's no way to answer this for the entire populous.

OfflineWapakz
1000 Needles
 User Gallery

Re: Reality is a crutch for people who can't cope with psychedelics. [Re: Ophanim]
    #9351785 - 12/02/08 02:54 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I'd say it's closer to "Reality is for people who do not understand the benefits of psychedelics"

--------------------

OfflinePlasmid
Absent
Male

#9370517 - 12/05/08 03:54 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Stupid quote.  Why even bother?
What about people who aren't aware of psychedelics?

--------------------
Absent.

OfflineNoteworthy
Sophyphile
 User Gallery

Re: Reality is a crutch for people who can't cope with psychedelics. [Re: Plasmid]
    #9370545 - 12/05/08 04:23 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

the big question:

is sobriety easier to deal with than tripping?

--------------------

InvisibleGerman Kahuna
Facepalmer of Stoopid
Male User Gallery

Loc: On a Chemical Vacation
    #9370588 - 12/05/08 05:05 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I find it annoying when people obsess over the dangers of drugs. But I find it equally annoying when people obsess about the use of drugs and make it their pseudo-religion. There are many people who choose not to trip for a perfectly legitimate reason and not all of them are "too afraid to try it and find out just how great tripping is".
For me it is a question of personal freedom. I never try to missionize anyone and I expect the same from other people.

--------------------
"Vegetarian" [ /ˌvedʒəˈteəriən/] - Ancient slang meaning "village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride".

Edited by German Kahuna (12/05/08 05:05 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies