Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinehalffoot
Insomniac

Re: everyone remembers their first time... [Re: J3illy]
    #9341862 - 12/01/08 01:45 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

J3illy said:
That's how they pick 'em in Amsterdam - right before the veil breaks.  They're at their peak potency % at that point.

So your saying I am harvesting at the right time?

Any idea why the fruits are so small when the veil starts to break?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleJ3illy
Trainee

Re: everyone remembers their first time... [Re: halffoot]
    #9341920 - 12/01/08 02:06 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

That's when I'm gonna harvest mine - 1st flush anyways.  When you pick them at that point, you're putting less strain on the substrate.

And size is based on genetics and the growing conditions.  They'll obviously keep growing after the veil breaks, but it's mostly just water weight.  Unless you want your shrooms heavier for some odd reason, then that's a good time to pick IMO.

Offlinehalffoot
Insomniac

#9342169 - 12/01/08 03:25 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I'll include some updated pictures with this post.  Would you say these are pretty average sized fruits for BRF cakes? 

So what do ya guys think?

InvisibleDemonic_Chronic
The Plague Doctress
Trans-female

Loc: PNW Flag
    #9342372 - 12/01/08 06:11 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

those are pretty small for BRF IMHO i usually get 2-3 big fruits and the rest medium fruits. yesterday i harvested 65g fresh from 2 1/2 pint cakes.  but yeah def lookin a lil small. just let em grow more. ive had em look small and lookin like the veils gunna start showin soon and they grew to about 8 inches. its hard but let em grow

DC

--------------------
The Real violence, the violence that I realized was unforgiveable
Is the violence that we do to ourselves
When we are too afraid to be, who we really are.

Offlinehalffoot
Insomniac

Re: everyone remembers their first time... [Re: Demonic_Chronic]
    #9347963 - 12/01/08 10:09 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Demonic_Chronic said:
those are pretty small for BRF IMHO i usually get 2-3 big fruits and the rest medium fruits. yesterday i harvested 65g fresh from 2 1/2 pint cakes.  but yeah def lookin a lil small. just let em grow more. ive had em look small and lookin like the veils gunna start showin soon and they grew to about 8 inches. its hard but let em grow

DC

I've been harvesting when the veil actually starts to tear, not just when it shows.  Because of the small size of the shrooms i've been trying to let them grow as long as possible, but i pick them once the cap starts opening so they dont dump spores on everything. 

I'm still at a point now where the largest shroom i've picked couldnt have been much over 2 inches long...  anyone know why?

InvisibleJ3illy
Trainee

#9348045 - 12/01/08 10:19 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Do you know what your actual humidity is?  I just skimmed thru the beginning of the thread and saw how you fan ALOT, every couple hours.  Are you misting before this as well?  You could be killing your humidity everytime you open up the FC, and low RH could definitely = small fruits.

Offlinehalffoot
Insomniac

#9348195 - 12/01/08 10:39 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

J3illy said:
Do you know what your actual humidity is?  I just skimmed thru the beginning of the thread and saw how you fan ALOT, every couple hours.  Are you misting before this as well?  You could be killing your humidity everytime you open up the FC, and low RH could definitely = small fruits.

Unfortunately no, i dont have any sort of humidity gauge to actually tell me my RH.  Since i started this thread and have been receiving advice, i have started misting every time i fan, and fanning slightly less obsessively(now about every 3-4 hours, though sometimes still every couple).  This seems to have helped with the problem slightly...but as i said, i'm still not seeing any mushrooms grow to greater than 2 inches in length.  Any other advice for raising my RH is that is the problem?  I'm using a shotgun FC with perlite in the bottom.

InvisibleJ3illy
Trainee

#9348247 - 12/01/08 10:48 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Oh if you weren't misting when you were fanning every hour or two like that, you were definitely killing your humidity.  You should mist every time you fan, unless everything is still glistening w/ moisture.

Offlinehalffoot
Insomniac

#9348767 - 12/02/08 12:32 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

J3illy said:
Oh if you weren't misting when you were fanning every hour or two like that, you were definitely killing your humidity.  You should mist every time you fan, unless everything is still glistening w/ moisture.

I am aware of this now and have since altered my habits.  I am however still having the same problem.

InvisibleJ3illy
Trainee

#9348791 - 12/02/08 12:37 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Yes but you still don't know your actual humidity.  It could be 60-70% for all you know which would explain everything.  You can get a cheapo hygrometer at a cigar shop that's calibratable, and it will do the trick.

Offlinegofudgeyourself
Student
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #9348935 - 12/02/08 01:11 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

usually cakes will not fruit below 90%, also hes using perlite, which is pretty much guaranteed 95+%

i can see blueing, theyre drying out somehow, could be too much air, not enough misting or not dunking long enough.

they "look small" cause they're still growing, let them grow, i would pick them after the veil FULLY breaks unless you want to take prints, in which case you would wait till the cap folds up....they look healthy tho (apart from the moisture issue). good job.

--------------------
"believe it if you need it, or leave it if you dare."

"turn all the hate in the world, into a mocking bird. make it fly away" :peace:

Edited by gofudgeyourself (12/02/08 01:18 AM)

InvisibleDemonic_Chronic
The Plague Doctress
Trans-female

Loc: PNW Flag
Re: everyone remembers their first time... [Re: gofudgeyourself]
    #9352276 - 12/02/08 04:44 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

i fan and mist 3 times a day and mine turn out great.

--------------------
The Real violence, the violence that I realized was unforgiveable
Is the violence that we do to ourselves
When we are too afraid to be, who we really are.

OfflineDreadlox
Stranger
Re: everyone remembers their first time... [Re: Demonic_Chronic]
    #9353458 - 12/02/08 07:13 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I remember mine, she was 15 and so was I. Ran to the drug store and bought condoms. Unfortunatly I didn't know the difference between lubed and non lubed....I bought the non lubed. Hell of a time, but after 10min, I was in.

Offlinehalffoot
Insomniac

Re: everyone remembers their first time... [Re: Dreadlox]
    #9363737 - 12/04/08 05:03 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks for all your suggestions and help everyone, I think my problem might be partially genetic, and partially that my RH is or was too low.  I have been misting much more for a week or more now, and I've seen definite improvements in my cakes.  Most of the shrooms still seems smaller than i would like, but maybe i can improve that when i move up to monotubs and bulk substrate sometime after the new year. 

The biggest shroom pictured below is still my best result.  I have since printed the cap and am about to make a syringe with that print, and have also attempted to make an LC clone of it.  We'll see how these two little projects go. 

Edited by halffoot (12/04/08 05:04 AM)

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds