Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
InvisibleSinbad
Living TheMoment
Male

Loc: Under The Bodhi Tree
Re: Howl's Moving Castle [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #6719309 - 03/28/07 08:34 AM (17 years, 4 days ago)

I've only seen Spirited, Mononoke and Castle. I thought Castle was better then Spirited but worse than Mononoke. Mononoke ruled over both IMO.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
Re: Howl's Moving Castle [Re: Sinbad]
    #6719313 - 03/28/07 08:35 AM (17 years, 4 days ago)

You've gotta see My Neighbor Totoro. :heart:

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

InvisibleSinbad
Living TheMoment
Male

Loc: Under The Bodhi Tree
    #6719326 - 03/28/07 08:42 AM (17 years, 4 days ago)

Cool, will do when i get the chance. There is an awesome video store in my town that has the most extensive collection of movies ive ever seen in one place. So ill prolly get it out soon, when i get round to paying my late fees! :grin:

--------------------

Offlinebobjones
Male

Loc: Tx
Re: Howl's Moving Castle [Re: unbeliever]
    #6719390 - 03/28/07 09:23 AM (17 years, 4 days ago)

Quote:

Meh I get sick of the subtitle elitists. Sometimes it's better, sure. I happen to prefer Crouching Tiger that way, simply because I love to hear the language. But Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle all have excellent english voice acting. Really, to try to convince people otherwise is disingenuous at best.

hah. disingenuous...really? :rolleyes:

since reading doesn't bother me, and if i want to get the full visual effect i'll just watch it again after i know what's going on, the original voices is the only way i'll watch these movies.

when people are over of course we have to watch them in english, and it kills me.

but whatever floats your boat.

--------------------
"Outside of a dog a book is a man's friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read"
-Groucho Marx

OfflineAmber_Glow
Sat Chit Anand

#6720629 - 03/28/07 03:03 PM (17 years, 4 days ago)

I didn't like Howl's quite as much as all the others.  It was a little on the standard children's fairy tale side, but it did have some trippy elements as well and Howl was dreamy! :tongue: 

I love Miyazaki films personally, they are really the only films I HAVE to see.  Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind is a must see as well.

Also if there are any movies I recommend tripping - its Miyazaki films.  So far I have waited to trip for my first view of each of these - make's the movie just a touch better. :wink::mushroom2::crazy2:

Tales from Earthsea will be coming out later this year or next year?  They make us wait so long.  :[

Invisiblecolorsplodey
Stranger

Re: Howl's Moving Castle [Re: Amber_Glow]
    #6720801 - 03/28/07 03:44 PM (17 years, 4 days ago)

I just rented Howl the other day too.  I love the artwork in it, but it does seem like a diluted Miyazaki film.  Perhaps because it wasn't an original story of his?

Surprised nobody mentioned the other 2 castle movies he did.  Castle in the Sky(1986) and Lupin III:Castle of Cagliostro(1979), both awesome. :thumbup:

InvisibleInnominate
Male

Re: Howl's Moving Castle [Re: Amber_Glow]
    #6720802 - 03/28/07 03:44 PM (17 years, 4 days ago)

So these movies are actually good? I just thought they were childish cartoons that kids liked.

Male

Re: Howl's Moving Castle [Re: Innominate]
    #6720806 - 03/28/07 03:45 PM (17 years, 4 days ago)

They're some of the top-selling movies of all time in Japan. It's not just kids going to see them.

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

OfflineAmber_Glow
Sat Chit Anand

Re: Howl's Moving Castle [Re: Innominate]
    #6720808 - 03/28/07 03:45 PM (17 years, 4 days ago)

No they are actually really really good and very trippy and happy.

I haven't seen Castle or Lupin yet. I did see Kiki's Delivery Service which sucked though. Do not bother watching that one.

Offlineunbeliever
Yo Daddy!
 User Gallery
Loc: Gallifrey
Re: Howl's Moving Castle [Re: bobjones]
    #6721551 - 03/28/07 06:32 PM (17 years, 4 days ago)

Quote:

bobjones said:
Quote:

Meh I get sick of the subtitle elitists. Sometimes it's better, sure. I happen to prefer Crouching Tiger that way, simply because I love to hear the language. But Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle all have excellent english voice acting. Really, to try to convince people otherwise is disingenuous at best.

hah. disingenuous...really? :rolleyes:

since reading doesn't bother me, and if i want to get the full visual effect i'll just watch it again after i know what's going on, the original voices is the only way i'll watch these movies.

when people are over of course we have to watch them in english, and it kills me.

but whatever floats your boat.

I like both. I just don't see why people get all huffy and elitist about it. It's not like the fact it's in a different language some how means it's more real or heartfelt or anything like that. I've watched foreign-animated films before where some of the original acting is mediocre at best. I just think it's a rather ignorant bit of purism that makes no sense.

This of course is in reference to animated films where everything is a voice over anyway, regardless of the language. For live action I generally prefer the original language just to avoid the out-of-sync distraction effect.

--------------------
Happiness is a warm gun...

Offlineunbeliever
Yo Daddy!
 User Gallery
Loc: Gallifrey
    #6721554 - 03/28/07 06:33 PM (17 years, 4 days ago)

Quote:

OneMoreRobot3021 said:Anyway, why was I disappointed? I don't know - perhaps it wasn't what I was in the mood for. The pace was just so slow and dreamy.

I'm thinking I'll have to watch that movie next time I dose some mescaline. :laugh:

Also, CATBUS!

--------------------
Happiness is a warm gun...

Male

Re: Howl's Moving Castle [Re: unbeliever]
    #6722796 - 03/28/07 11:52 PM (17 years, 4 days ago)

CATBUS

--------------------

-Erik Davis

Offlinedruqs
ALKALOIDOHOLIC
 User Gallery

#6723236 - 03/29/07 04:05 AM (17 years, 3 days ago)

great film, his other stuff is just as good imo

first time i watched i was tripping balls on DXM and thought i was in the movie.

OfflineEpigallo
Stranger
Re: Howl's Moving Castle [Re: druqs]
    #9363284 - 12/04/08 01:18 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I'm joining the club. I just watched Howl's Moving Castle, like 10 minutes ago, I watched Kiki's Delivery Service this morning, and Spirited Away yesterday afternoon.

I can't believe I've been missing out on this guy's stuff. Spirited Away was absolutely incredible. Castle didn't make quite as much sense to me, but still was really fun. And Kiki's of course was nothing special.

Does anyone else feel like these movies have an RPG feel to them?

Invisibleohmatic
searcher
 User Gallery

Loc: europe
    #9363338 - 12/04/08 01:41 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

OneMoreRobot3021 said:
Gotta say - I was a little disappointed.

so was i, especially at the ending when they were literally in a hurry to explain everything and make
a sense out of everything, i was like what the deuce ?

guess the main aim was the entertainment of kids this time. :frown:

--------------------
:penis: MONOTUB tek :sun: HEATBOMB tek :penis:

RIP #cultivation! ....can't associate? well FUCK U !

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom