Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinePurple_Voyage
Mind Explorer

Loc: UK
ID - Leccinum?
    #936323 - 10/06/02 01:10 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I've been on my first mushroom hunt and got many different species. The first one I'm trying to identify is the one below. I'm pretty sure it's a Leccinum, but not sure which one, possibly Leccinum Scabrum or Leccinum Roseofractum. It was found in the UK on the edge of a mixed wood growing in grass.

The spore print looks a bit funny, it's mainly brown, but with some parts black, I think this maybe because the underside of the cap is damaged in places. Any other views on this?

Thanks

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
Re: ID - Leccinum? [Re: Purple_Voyage]
    #936878 - 10/06/02 05:43 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I think it fits the description for Leccinum manzanitae.
Common Name: Manzanita Bolete

Pileus
Cap 5-18 cm broad, rounded, becoming convex, finally broadly convex to nearly plane; surface pitted with appressed fibrils, dark red to reddish-brown, viscid when moist; margin incurved when young with fragments of sterile tissue; flesh thick, white, darkening when cut, especially in young specimens; odor and taste mild.

Hymenophore
Pores fine; pallid to light olive, darker in age, staining dark-brown when bruised.

Stipe
Stipe 9-17 cm long, 2-4 cm thick, club-shaped to ventricose, white with small, black scales (scabers), sometimes bruising blue at the base.

Spores
Spores 13-17.5 x 4-5 microns, smooth, spindle-shaped. Spore print brown.

Habitat
Scattered to gregarious under madrone and manzanita from fall to mid-winter.

Edibility
Edible, but many consider it best dried.

Comments
Leccinum manzanitae is recognized by its large size, viscid reddish-brown, innately fibrillose cap and the darkening of cap and stipe tissue, a character best seen in young specimens.

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

Offlineviscid
dikaryon

Loc: the mycological center of...
    #936912 - 10/06/02 05:58 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

here's the thing.
it's obvious that its a leccinum, due to the appearance. it's a relatively easy mushroom to recognize. (to genus)
if there aren't any specific trees around, it may be hard to tell exactly which sp., but the colors and other subtle things are usually enough.
as far as i know, no leccinums are poisonous, but some boletes can make you sick, especially red and orange pored species.
i have eaten several leccinums and found them to be as good as boletus edulis, when young specimens are firm and bug-free, they are quite tasty....
check out this key: http://www.bluewillowpages.com/mushroomexpert/leccinum.html
try to use keys, they help alot....
peace

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #937571 - 10/06/02 09:58 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

As others (including you) have noted, it's a Leccinum. As to which species, there are a couple things we need to know (and I don't have the monograph on the genus, so we might not know even then, but we have to start somewhere).

First, habitat. We need to know what kinds of tress were nearby where it was growing. Include things like scrub oak (bushes).

Second, cut it in half vertically, bruise the inside with the edge of your knife, and start watching the color changes. Leccinums will often go through 2 or 3 different colors over a period of 10 or 15 minutes, and we need to know *all* of them. There are also Leccinums with little or no color changes, so you might no see much of anything. Make sure when you bruise it that you bruise the entire cross section, not just part of the stem or cap. Note if color changes only occur in one area.

I should also add that we have determined that (contrary to what is in the books) there is at least one species of Leccinum which causes stomach upsets. So if you decide to eat it, save half of your specimen in the refrigerator so that we can have a specimen if you have found one of those. Eat only a small amount (so you don't get too sick if you do get sick) and wait overnight to be sure it's OK. On the positive side, I have eaten Leccinums for over 25 years and never gotten sick on any of them, so don't get too nervous about maybe getting sick.

Happy Mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Invisiblegregre
    #937634 - 10/06/02 10:12 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Check this for my collection of shrooms I picked in Maryland. And I'll have more tommorrow. here you will find some interesting pictures of Boleti
Mushrooms Of maryland

Offlineviscid
dikaryon

Loc: the mycological center of...
Re: ID - Leccinum? [Re: gregre]
    #937654 - 10/06/02 10:16 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

hey gregre, whut up with your photos? i cant see em.
pop-ups, too.
peace

my brains a retard and my heart is the long stares.....

OfflinePurple_Voyage
Mind Explorer

Loc: UK
Re: ID - Leccinum? [Re: ToxicMan]
    #938976 - 10/07/02 09:31 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks for help everyone. Unfortuanately I've thrown it away now so I can't cut the stem in half or test for bruising, but I'll do this in the future. I didn't note which trees were around, but again this is something to do in my future hunts.

Cheers

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Scales

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification