Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlineigwna
The Cap'n
Male

Loc: New England, USA
A DMTastic study on a few monkeys.
    #9356835 - 12/03/08 09:37 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I have been reading a book entitled "Intoxication" by Ronald K. Siegel, Ph.D.

Its about the "Universal Drive for Mind-altering Substances."

It truly is a quite interesting read.

This is a study he conducted on a three monkeys its somewhat long but worth the read:

Quote:

The drug I selected was derived from yopo and epena, two hallucinogens used in South America. Yopo prepared from the ground beans used by the Guahibo, is inhaled as a snuff through hollow bird-bone or bamboo tubes. Users display characteristic gesticulating postures, then fall into hallucinatory trances. Epena, a similar snuff, is prepared from the bark of Virola trees and used by tribes in the northwestern Amazon region. Both plants contain dimethyltyptamine (DMT) that has been produced synthetically and is usually smoked or injected. North American users report that DMT produces a short "retinal circus" of colorful geometric and memory images that lasts for thirty minutes.

Alex, Claude, and Lucy were the subjects. They were three adult rhesus monkeys, born and raised in captivity, with no previous experience with hallucinogens. All were veterans of my laboratory, where they had spent many years taking daily trips to the smoking box. The box was a large metal cage that provided free access to a food bin and a water dispenser. A hollow stainless steel tube protruded through one wall of the box. It was connected to a smoking machine that delivered the smoke from burning cigarettes. The monkeys had been trained to puff on the tube in order to inhale tobacco smoke so that the effects of this behavior could be studied. Tobacco smoking was something that all three of these monkeys did to varying degrees without any additional rewards. They were so familiar with the box they could find the smoking tube in the dark.

The box was placed inside a lightproof and soundproof chamber that effectively isolated it from all visual and auditory contact with the outside world. The chamber was outfitted with an infrared video monitoring system so that an animal in the box could still be observed in the dark. Initially, each monkey was given the opportunity to live alone in the dark chamber for ten consecutive days and nights. The smoking machine was filled with cigarettes made from ordinary garden lettuce. The cigarettes were made available to the animals at the rate of one per hour, for a total of twenty-four each day. Over the ten days that they lived in this totally deprived environment, the animals smoked very few lettuce cigarettes. Alex hardly puffed at all; Claude puffed on a cigarette once every day, but not enough to finish any of them; and Lucy refused to puff on any of the 240 cigarettes made available to her.

Six months later, after a rest in the monkey colony, the animals were once again placed in isolation. This time the lettuce cigarettes were laced with DMT, enough so that a whole cigarette would deliver a monkey-size hallucinogenic dose. Previous trials with other rhesus monkeys in the regular laboratory environment had already determined that after the initial puffs of DMT, the would refuse to go near the smoking tube again.

Alex was the first to enter the chamber where he would live for the next twenty days without any outside stimulation except for that available every hour from the DMT cigarettes. On the second day, he approached the tube and started puffing. He got carried away and within a few minutes of staccato puffing he had smoked an entire cigarette! Immediately he went prone on the cage floor, then started bumping and groping at the cage walls. He spasmed and vomited, but within twenty minutes he had fully recovered. Even though it was pitch-black, Alex put on an aggressive display to the smoking tube-threatening it with facial expressions and loud barks- and never went near the tube again. I concluded that Alex had had a bad trip, not unlike a poisoned meal. He would never become a DMT user.

Now it was Claude's turn. Strong and healthy, Claude had ruled the monkey colony as the dominant male for years. He never refused a challenge and never got sick. He made it through the boredom of the earlier ten-day experiment by sleeping or sitting in stoic resolve. On day 3 he approached the DMT tube, took five quick puffs, and sat down. He stared and turned his head quickly about for several minutes. This orienting behavior became more obvious on Day 4 when Claude puffed enough to finish off almost an entire DMT cigarette. By Day 8 he had worked up to smoking almost two whole cigarettes each day. He was intoxicated every day. If Claude's trips were not good, they certainly seemed to amuse him. Sometimes he would reach out and attempt to grasp imaginary objects. He slapped and swatted at things in the air. During one particular intoxication, he started a fight with his left foot. Claude kept up a daily pattern of DMT smoking and intoxicated antics until Day 20, when the experiment ended.

Finally, It was time for little Lucy to enter the box. Lucy was the smallest female in the colony and also the brightest. If rewarded with an orange or a chocolate candy, she could solve the most difficult puzzles and problems; she became a stubborn statue if denied a treat. She didn't smoke the lettuce cigarettes when there were no other rewards, and I was predicting Lucy wouldn't fall for DMT. The first five days seemed like a replay of the earlier test. Lucy ignored the tube and seemed comfortable in her dark, quiet surroundings. There is no night or day in the box and Lucy started sleeping during most of my daytime watch. The electronic sensors, on guard all the time, recorded a single puff on Day 6; however, Lucy showed no change in behavior. When she totally ignored the tube on Day 7, I was betting she had experienced an unpleasant reaction to that puff and, like Alex, would forever after keep her distance from the tube. When nothing happened on Day 8, I wrote in my log that the rest of the days promised the same.

Day 9. 6:00 P.M. Lucy approached the tube and ran off a cluster of puffs on a DMT cigarette. She immediately crouched in a corner, rubbed her eyes, shook her head, and looked up with an expression of disbelief. I didn't believe it either. She used her hands and eyes to track "movements" in the box, then relaxed. Thirty minutes later, when the next cigarette became available, she smoked most of it. After some more tracking and rubbing, Lucy yawned and went to sleep.
Day 10. 9:00 A.M. Lucy smoked another cigarette and spread out on her stomach, moving her hands over the cage floor and following them with her eyes-movements virtually identical with those observed in the tracking of real objects.
Day 11. 2:00 P.M. Another Cigarette was smoked and Lucy circled the cage, trying to catch something. She tumbled and rolled, then stood for several minutes with her head on the floor between her feet and her hindquarters up in the air.
Day 12. 12:30 P.M. Lucy was startled after smoking part of a cigarette. She backed into a corner and grimaced in fear.
Day 19. 11:00 P.M. Lucy has recovered from her startle reaction and has been smoking almost two DMT cigarettes a day for the past several days. She has become extremely proficient at catching whatever she has been chasing: she now brings "it" to her mouth, chews and lip-smacks with delight.
Day 20. 12:00 A.M. Lucy has just finished another cigarette as the experiment ends. I slowly fade in the room lights, enter the chamber, and open the cage door to take her back to the monkey colony. Lucy jumps into my heavily-gloved hands, chattering away, happily picking at butterflies from the brain.

Little Lucy and her big pal Claude have clearly demonstrated an acceptance of DMT intoxication in order to see through the same hallucinogenic window we do. Under the right right conditions it was as useful to a monkey as it is to a human. We share the same motivation to light up our lives with chemical glimpses of another world.

What do you guys think?
Did you enjoy it? I sure did. Although the experiment seemed a little cruel at a few parts, I was thoroughly interested.

--------------------
I don't believe in cops, bosses, or politicians. Some call that anarchism. I call it having a fucking heart that beats.

Edited by igwna (12/03/08 09:38 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleTripityDooDaDay
Prick
Male User Gallery

Re: A DMTastic study on a few monkeys. [Re: igwna]
    #9356858 - 12/03/08 09:44 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Cruel but interesting. Would have loved to have seen it.

Quote:

he started a fight with his left foot.

LOL. Seems I may have done that before myself.

Offlineigwna
The Cap'n
Male

Re: A DMTastic study on a few monkeys. [Re: TripityDooDaDay]
    #9356861 - 12/03/08 09:46 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

hehe, glad you enjoyed.

I was actually thinking of looking for the actual recording he spoke of.

--------------------
I don't believe in cops, bosses, or politicians. Some call that anarchism. I call it having a fucking heart that beats.

InvisibleTripityDooDaDay
Prick
Male User Gallery

#9356869 - 12/03/08 09:47 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

This is the net. I'm sure out there somewhere and you will post it if you find it. Would be cool.

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

#9356886 - 12/03/08 09:51 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I'd say its inconclusive at best.

Hard to judge without knowing the dose and original training techniques, prior drug exposures etc.

--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

Offlinekrypto2000
Unknown

#9356896 - 12/03/08 09:53 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah that was a pretty cool read man. Didn't really impart any kind of new knowledge, but it's interesting to see how animals react to drugs when given the choice to voluntarily consume them.

OfflineGreenGoat
Chewer of Fine Pastures
Male User Gallery

Loc: Northern California
Re: A DMTastic study on a few monkeys. [Re: krypto2000]
    #9356905 - 12/03/08 09:54 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Wow! Thanks for that, man. Very interesting...

InvisibleTripityDooDaDay
Prick
Male User Gallery

#9356912 - 12/03/08 09:56 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I did a couple of Googles and had no luck finding a recording. Did run accross an older thread here on it.

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/5374244

Offlineigwna
The Cap'n
Male

Re: A DMTastic study on a few monkeys. [Re: GreenGoat]
    #9356935 - 12/03/08 10:01 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

The entire book has tons of interesting stories. One is about 2 Mongooses in a pen with access to morning glory seeds. They eat them once and then stay away for months. The next time one mongoose ate them was when its mate died.
Interesting. Like he was seeking comfort in a psychedelic experience.  :pinkelephant:

Another bit is about how certain ants will protect and feed a certain group of beetles which, in return, produce secretions from their abdominal areas that the ants lick. The ants become so overwhelmed by the intoxicating nature of the secretions that they become temporarily disoriented and less sure of their footing.

Quote:

Entomologists have labeled the ants' passion both a love and an addiction. Love is seen in the care and feeding the ant extends to the beetle larvae, which are accepted as part of the ant's own brood.

These ants and beetles are the yellow ant, Lauius flavus, and the Lomechusa beetle. Named after an ancient Roman poisoner. If you're wondering.

--------------------

Offlinedanlennon3
LivingIsEasyWithEyesClosed.....
Male User Gallery

Loc: usa Flag
Re: A DMTastic study on a few monkeys. [Re: TripityDooDaDay]
    #9356941 - 12/03/08 10:02 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

nice read:thumbup:

--------------------
"Psychedelics should be used not to escape reality, but to embrace it"

InvisibleLobsterSauceDiscord
 User Gallery

Re: A DMTastic study on a few monkeys. [Re: danlennon3]
    #9356978 - 12/03/08 10:09 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

An experiment with monkeys and an endless pile of coke led to them constantly ingesting it.Did'nt sleep,did'nt eat and died of exhaustion.

Just thought I'd put it in

--------------------

Invisiblearago
Mr. Wind Up Bird
Male

#9357047 - 12/03/08 10:27 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

What!?  No comments?  Those monkeys knew a good thing,except for Alex.
A good read.  Thanks, Cap'n.

Offlinedanlennon3
LivingIsEasyWithEyesClosed.....
Male User Gallery

Loc: usa Flag
Re: A DMTastic study on a few monkeys. [Re: arago]
    #9357056 - 12/03/08 10:29 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Alex was just a closed minded monkey, DMT just wasnt meant for him.

--------------------
"Psychedelics should be used not to escape reality, but to embrace it"

Offlineigwna
The Cap'n
Male

Re: A DMTastic study on a few monkeys. [Re: danlennon3]
    #9358100 - 12/03/08 01:19 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

poor alex probably wore his ass as a hat

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds