Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineOrion12
Stranger
 User Gallery

Noob First Grow Success and Experimentation
    #9351113 - 12/02/08 12:36 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Hi gang! Newbie here on first grow...started out with 1/2 pint cakes and birthed 24 of them, the others were crumbled and used to knoc up 72 qt jars of WBS and Ive not had ONE contam thus far. First round of WBS (24 qts) I just did a 24 hr soak and the jars ended up drying out and stalling, so I tried again with a 15 min simmer then an overnight soak and theyre perfect! On the second round I also added a couple spoonfulls of moist verm/brf to each qt jar for extra nutes and to make certain that they didnt dry out. Success! The myc is ripping thru the jars at lightning speed :thumbup: I have twelve 64 qt mono tubs (homie dont play :wink:) and I plan to spawn to straw/Hpoo - picking up a truckload this Friday :crazy2:- with 5-6 qts per tub. Im following Fahtsters Tub/Late Casing Tek but Im also experimenting now with some tray casings. 2 of them Im incubating...one has a 1/2" layer of moist verm in the bottom, 2 qts of WBS, and a 1/2" casing layer of straight verm on top. The other has 1/2" moist verm on the bottom, 2 qts WBS, and 1/2" of peat/verm/crushed oyster shells (5-4-1) casing on top (pasteurized of course). The other two trays i placed straight into the FC...one has a 1/2" layer of moist verm on the bottom, and 2 qts WBS - uncased (plan to case with 50/50+ at pinning). The other has 1/2" moist verm on bottom, 2 qts WBS, and a 1/2" casing layer of the 50/50+  -- both were placed in a 64 qt mono tub with 2" of perlite in the bottom. I want to see the diff between straight verm and 50/50+ casings, incubation/non-incubation, and late casing. I have numerous fat pins on all of my cakes right now, and Im waiting on the trays to decide what method I like best. Does it sound like Im on the right track? I took some pics but I have to doctor them before I post because theyre super large files. Ill get on that later this evening :wink: BTW, this site rulez and Ive been reading all your posts for some time now...you guys (and gals :grin:) are a wealth of knowledge and its a pleasure to be a part of your community! Thanks so much :thumbup::mushroom2:

Edited by Orion12 (12/02/08 12:48 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinebackintheriver
Male User Gallery

Re: Noob First Grow Success and Experimentation [Re: Orion12]
    #9351185 - 12/02/08 12:51 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

considering this is your first post and you have done THAT i would say doing good is an understatement. now you just need to figure out how you are gunna dry all of them. :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: good job.

OfflineOrion12
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Noob First Grow Success and Experimentation [Re: backintheriver]
    #9351243 - 12/02/08 01:00 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks! I plan to dry them with a box fan till they're fairly crisp, then finish them off in a large sealed tub with damp-rid in the bottom. I have it all made up with a fine mesh screen shelf and an aluminum baking tray in the bottom to hold the desiccant. :grin:

Edited by Orion12 (12/02/08 01:22 PM)

OfflineOrion12
Stranger
 User Gallery

#9351415 - 12/02/08 01:37 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I haven't invested in a hygrometer or PH tester yet so I'm hoping my RH and PH are ok. FC area is a constant 75ยบ and there is a fan 15' away pointed upward so as not to blow directly on the tubs but to keep the air circulating around them. I also have not yet drilled vent holes in the tubs as I'm waiting to purchase a fine toothed 1" hole cutting drill attachment and will cover the holes with micropore tape. I've been fanning once a day till then. The lids are clear and not tight fitting. I have a dual flouro light above them 12/12.

Question: How many 1" holes should I make on each side of the tubs for adequate gas exchange? Will the tubs still require fanning once the vent holes are added?

and...misting? how often should I mist (if at all) and when should I stop? Should I use distilled water alone or add peroxide to it? I've read some controversy regarding this.

OfflineBassgasm
Bassgasmic

Loc: Valley of the cache.
    #9351446 - 12/02/08 01:47 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Ive heard 4 at the top of the sub and cover with polyphore then 1-2 ontop coverd with polyphore at the top.

By the way, holy shit 12 monotubs? 24 births? Very nice :laugh:.

--------------------
" PREPARE, to get more stonder!"

" Boo ".." It's Gobble you dumb ass Halloween was a month ago!"

klondike_bar said:
I almost got a pic, then my general curiosity overcame me and i ate the goo :crazy:

"The core of mans' spirit comes from new experiences."

Offlineskaterickets
Musician
Male User Gallery

#9351477 - 12/02/08 01:53 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I hate to be the bearer of bad news; logic. But, MS inoculations will not give you proper results seeing as they results are totally random meaning you can get 7 grams off one cake, and 2 grams with another. Try using clones maybe, once you get good enough.

Anyways, love your effort and grow, looks VERY good for a first timer. Put up some pics and keep us updated!

--------------------

OfflineOrion12
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Noob First Grow Success and Experimentation [Re: skaterickets]
    #9351962 - 12/02/08 03:34 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks for the reply! Well, I initially followed RR's BRF video (awesome btw, you're a gentleman & a scholar RR:thumbup:) but I'm a glutton for complexity so I jumped straight into bulk grain. I'm also in horse country (Churchill Downs *wink*) so poo & straw are common household items here :rolleyes:. I'm all done with cakes but what I do is keep the myc circulating by keeping 36 1/2 pint jars of WBS G2G'd that will knoc up 72 qt jars (I usally use one 1/2 pint jar to transfer to 4-5 qt jars but I like to have extra...just in case). I do plan to do some spore prints and clones and I hope to document it all with pics.

Edited by Orion12 (12/02/08 08:41 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag