Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMyExcuse
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: North
oops? Agar misshap
    #9348413 - 12/01/08 11:17 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

So I attempted to make a liquid culture today but ended up using too much agar. Presumably I might have just bought the wrong type of agar, but I digress, my end concoction hardened to a congealed mess(or rather, it did what it was supposed to do, just not what I had in mind). I decided to throw caution to the wind and squirt my spores in there anyway.

My question is this - when at least the surface has become colonized , how would I go about making some of that into a liquid culture without damaging the mycelium? (or is that even possible)

I have quite a few bags and could easily open them up to inoculate them with individual slices, however making a solution would save me quite a bit of time.

--------------------
"We're always watching, but it's only watching."

Edited by MyExcuse (12/01/08 11:20 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDamion5050
Mush Doctor
Male User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Translation ! Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: oops? Agar misshap [Re: MyExcuse]
    #9348433 - 12/01/08 11:21 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Try using honey or karo it makes an easier LC, I have heard of people doing agar but you need to get it just right..  Use Karo light corn syrup 3% by volume aka 600 ml water and 18 ml of karo/honey..

You cut off a little bit of the mycelium by using a scapel or something sharp, you only need alittle bit.. If it's 100% colonized it should be fine.. Or you can wait till you see some shrooms and take a piece of clean tissue from one and drop it into the LC..

InvisibleShroominit
Part Time Mycologist

Folding@home Statistics
Re: oops? Agar misshap [Re: Damion5050]
    #9348684 - 12/02/08 12:11 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

If you have time, cloning is the shit. Wait for fruit, pick the biggest/fastest/most potent, then dump it in the LC (karo/water mix) and let it do its thing.

If not, like Damion said, just cut it with something sharp, a flamed xacto knife should work well.

OfflineDamion5050
Mush Doctor
Male User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Translation ! Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: oops? Agar misshap [Re: Shroominit]
    #9348704 - 12/02/08 12:14 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Shroominit said:
a flamed xacto knife should work well.

:thumbup:  That's what I use..  Also cloning is nice, Easy too.. Especially when you dump it right into LC, Agar a little harder to get right because just about every kind of mold grows on the agar, fast too..

Offlinepsg1
viewer
 User Gallery

Re: oops? Agar misshap [Re: Damion5050]
    #9349577 - 12/02/08 06:09 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Maybe you could shoot some sterile water in there and swish the hell out of it to thin it out a bit?

--------------------

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Re: oops? Agar misshap [Re: psg1]
    #9349599 - 12/02/08 06:21 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Agar should not be used for liquid culture. Agar is supposed to solidify so you can grow mycelium on its surface in petri dishes.

Agar on its own has no nuitrition. Stuff is added to it so mycelium can grow. It only makes sense to use something nuitritious without agar in a liquid culture, since agar is there to solidify the mixture.

Get malt dextrose and use that in your liquid cultures.

Yes agar will grow lots of contaminations, so will liquid cultures.

Alteast with agar petri dishes you will know you have contamination, where as with liquid culture you wont until you inoculate substrate.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

OfflineBraniac
Stranger

Loc: Injoemomscunt
Re: oops? Agar misshap [Re: veda_sticks]
    #9349607 - 12/02/08 06:25 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

veda_sticks said:
Agar should not be used for liquid culture. Agar is supposed to solidify so you can grow mycelium on its surface in petri dishes.

Agar on its own has no nuitrition. Stuff is added to it so mycelium can grow. It only makes sense to use something nuitritious without agar in a liquid culture, since agar is there to solidify the mixture.

Get malt dextrose and use that in your liquid cultures.

Yes agar will grow lots of contaminations, so will liquid cultures.

Alteast with agar petri dishes you will know you have contamination, where as with liquid culture you wont until you inoculate substrate.

you seem to know your shit veda. you should have a trusted cultivator tag.

sorry for the hijack...but yes lc is the way to go for you man...

--------------------
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving, hysterical, naked, dragging themselves through the ghetto streets at dawn looking for an angry fix, angel headed hipsters burning for the ancient heavenly connection to the starry dynamo in the machinery of night, who poverty and tatters and hollow-eyed and high sat up smoking in the supernatural darkness of cold-water flats floating across the tops of cities contemplating jazz, who bared their brains to Heaven under the El and saw Mohammedan angels staggering on tenement roofs illuminated...

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate