Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Myyco.com Shop: Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Offlinefrogsheath
Stranger
Loc: Chicago, Illinois U.S.A.
Re: A nice video... [Re: ]
    #937466 - 10/06/02 07:28 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

"Unfortunately freedom has a price."
would you care to elaborate on that? I assume you mean we must sacrifice something --and what would that be? --in the context of the issues brought up by the video.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: A nice video... [Re: frogsheath]
    #938347 - 10/07/02 12:18 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I tend not to elaborate in two separate instances, either when the truth is obvious or when the audience cannot perceive correctly. Take your choice.

Cheers,

Offlinefrogsheath
Stranger
    #939197 - 10/07/02 08:40 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I think some further development of your statement "Unfortunately, freedom has a price." in the context of the problems pointed to in the video would be nice. General vagueness about "the truth" doesn't address anything specific or tangible, which, if we are to solve our problems, must be done eventually. "Unfortunately, freedom has a price." can be taken different ways. I like it. I take it as a fact that we should sacrifice our materialistic lifestyles since I perceive rampant consumption as our downfall.

cheers back at ya'

Anonymous

#939386 - 10/07/02 09:55 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

:wink:

Then perhaps a better question would be; when does freedom not come at the expense of someone's suffering?

Cheers,

Offlinefrogsheath
Stranger
    #939452 - 10/07/02 10:15 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

You want the answer?  Fight rampant American consumerism.  :mad:  It's fighting against our own lifestyle --what's to lose?  I say just excess fat.  :smile: 

Anonymous

#939473 - 10/07/02 10:22 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I fight it daily. I do not shop at the Malls. I do not read newspapers or magazines. I haven't had television since 1988. I buy everything thing I can second-hand. I rarely if ever go to movies. I haven't bought a cd in over a year. I eat as much food as possible from my organic garden. It is rare that I buy anything that I do not consider essential to my well being.

Why?

I'm not fighting consumerism I just have no interest in the shallowness of trying to buy peace of mind with things.

Cheers,

Offlinefrogsheath
Stranger
    #939521 - 10/07/02 10:41 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

It sounds like you're doing more than I to "fight" it. I think "fight" is the right word 'cause it's literally shoved down our throats. Good for you (and many others who may learn from your example). I like the listing process. There are literally hundreds and hundreds of items and activities that we can cut out (or down) as we learn to live in a more harmonious and healthy way. I still read newspapers (out of boredom) and I still buy most of my food from the supermarket. This has to end. If we all start living like this (and there's way more detail --it's fun actually)... what a difference it will make on the planet.

OfflineChubbSubb
Zen Lunatic

Loc: Here.
    #939562 - 10/07/02 10:55 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I agree Frogger.....

--------------------
Those who know do not speak.
Those who speak do not know.

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
    #939581 - 10/07/02 11:02 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

In reply to:

I think "fight" is the right word 'cause it's literally shoved down our throats.

I do not understand this sentiment. I see the silliness of the consumer culture, but it is my choice how I respond to it. Usually I just ignore it, sometimes I am entertained by the commercials, occasionally I see something which I find interesting. Nobobdy forces you to buy anything, nobody forces you to watch T.V. The option of turning off your devices of mass communication is very simple to exercise. There is no need to "fight" because you have freedom (in this regard) which you can exercise at will.

I remember quite a few years ago listening to an interview with John Lennon. The interviewer asked him about changing things and political action and he responded that he was basically an anarchist and didn't think that using the government was the proper way to affect social change. He said if you want to change things you should start with yourself. It can be something as simple as when entering a room to smile at everyone and be friendly. Such actions can affect others and lead to positive change coming from them. (that was the general idea, the exact wording was not memorized)

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

Anonymous

#939582 - 10/07/02 11:02 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

As a friend of mine used to say, "Your produce alone has been worth the trip."

Offlinefrogsheath
Stranger
Re: A nice video... [Re: Evolving]
    #940408 - 10/07/02 03:32 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

"Nobobdy forces you to buy anything, nobody forces you to watch T.V. The option of turning off your devices of mass communication is very simple to exercise. There is no need to "fight" because you have freedom (in this regard) which you can exercise at will."
True. Maybe "fight" is not the best word. In terms of affecting social change (and dealing with the symbiotic relationship of the masses and the corporations) I feel like one ant trying to turn a whole colony around. It's a collosus we're up against (this interdependent consumer culture) no? My natural reaction to this challenge is to take up a fighting posture. It's admittedly rather futile though. Kind of like Bush's speech tonight though, the alternative would be to wait for a "right major crisis" to spur the people to action. People in America seem too complacent to really start changing.

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
    #940491 - 10/07/02 04:02 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

In reply to:

People in America seem too complacent to really start changing.

I agree with your opinion but I would qualify the statement by prefacing it with "Most." I have found myself able to change a few minds in my life but it has not been through fighting but through using the power of reason. What I think you desire is a change in culture, this will not come about overnight. Culture could be said to be the aggregate tendencies, values and behaviors of a population. The changes you seek are not those of a fad but of more deeply held attitudes. Think of it as evolution not revolution, it will require patience, education and an understanding that what may seem self-evident to you is not so easy for others to grasp. You may also find that as you pass through this life that the attitudes and beliefs you hold now you may one day consider naive (this is not meant to be an insult, just the lesson of my own experiences).

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

OfflineChubbSubb
Zen Lunatic

Loc: Here.
    #940536 - 10/07/02 04:15 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Think of it as evolution not revolution

Brilliant. Beautiful statement.

--------------------
Those who know do not speak.
Those who speak do not know.

Anonymous

Re: A nice video... [Re: ChubbSubb]
    #940587 - 10/07/02 04:34 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Meme thinks so too.

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
    #940613 - 10/07/02 04:44 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

hehehe

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

Anonymous

Re: A nice video... [Re: Sclorch]
    #940615 - 10/07/02 04:45 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I actually posted that pun just for you.  I knew you'd get it and like it. :wink:

Cheers,

Offlinefrogsheath
Stranger
    #941385 - 10/07/02 10:23 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

You're right Yoda.  Actually I'm not really a fighter (or much of a communicator --but I won't quit anytime soon).  It's just that my reptile brain kicks into action whenever I see the signs of my lovely swamp dryin' up as it were.  It's a survival instinct.  I see this as a fight for our survival (much like in the past when, before the various technological revolutions, we fought for our survival --only this fight is much bigger).  The system is no fad and it's more than deeply held attitudes.  It's a deeply entrenched machine (a lot like HAL9000) which we are all  subservient to.  I was raised and brainwashed by its media monster (into believing the prescribed worldview).  Basically that's what I mean by having the culture of consumption shoved down our throats.  But you're right.  We ARE still free to choose something else (if we have the gonads).  That's what makes America special.  I am finding the road open but extremely less traveled and often difficult.  So I take up the fight (so to speak) with the behemoth and with myself (against the ingrained habits that I was taught).  It's kind of like waking up and realizing you are in the Deathstar of the Empire.  :grin:  O.K.  Maybe not.  There is much good to be said about the system.  Perhaps I would not be having these thoughts if it were evil as that.  I still have a choice.  All of us do.  But the clock is ticking away.  So, my point is passion is as important an ingredient to the rebellion as reason.
Freedom Ain't Free!
Froggy McSheaths 

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Myyco.com Shop: Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale