Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinejohnnyboy
Bastard Son

Yeast in my jars?
    #9321166 - 11/27/08 08:10 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I inoculated three different jars with three different isolate wedges on the tenth or so of november.  finially had enough growth on the 23rd to shake so  i shook them.  they all looked fine before the shake and now they have yeast contmaination.

I already know this is yeast so this isnt an identification post.  I want to know how and why this happens??

iam using a single layer of tyvek (one envelope thick) could it not be thick enough and is letting this contam in?

I was extremly sterile in my procedures.  Could the agar plates already be contaminated?

Why didnt it show up until after the shake?

Just looking for some enlightenment on this dreaded yeast contamination.

--------------------
I keep the bible in a pool of blood so that none of it's lies will affect me

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Re: Yeast in my jars? [Re: johnnyboy]
    #9321185 - 11/27/08 08:18 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

i have never seen yeast contamination before. i guess its the grains that are yellow looking.

nice quality pictures. i could zoom right in get a clear look. sorry cant be of much help.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

Offlinewander02
roamer
 User Gallery

Re: Yeast in my jars? [Re: veda_sticks]
    #9321199 - 11/27/08 08:25 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Did you use gypsum in the prep of the rye?

Invisibleblood4blood
Calmer Than You Are

Loc: The Valley
Re: Yeast in my jars? [Re: veda_sticks]
    #9322179 - 11/27/08 01:23 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

veda_sticks said:
i have never seen yeast contamination before. i guess its the grains that are yellow looking.

nice quality pictures. i could zoom right in get a clear look. sorry cant be of much help.

the yeast contamination are all the little white specs on the grains.

those are some nice pics.

ive ran into this stuff before and never really got any real answers from the boards.  i dont know how it comes about or really how bad it is.  i can say that one time i had it and i shook the grains and it went away.:shrug:

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Yeast in my jars? [Re: blood4blood]
    #9329338 - 11/28/08 09:30 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Yeast is floating in the air.  It's introduced by not following complete sterile procedure.  It can't be 'fixed', so toss it out.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Yeast in my jars? (moved) [Re: johnnyboy]
    #9329343 - 11/28/08 09:31 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

This thread was moved from Mushroom Cultivation.

Reason:
Moved to contamination forum.

Offlinedenger
Mycelium keeper
Male User Gallery

Loc: Unites States of Dreams
Re: Yeast in my jars? (moved) [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #9329543 - 11/28/08 10:11 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

The reason you did not see it before the shake is because a yeast colony (perhaps only one) was growing in the middle of the jar, hidden from the eye. Once you shook it, you re-distributed the colony all over the jar and now its growing on every grain.

If all three of your jars show such contamination it is likely you have introduced it with the culture. However, it is impossible to tell for sure.

Replate your mycelium onto a fresh dish and observe. If there is a "zone" that grows slower or faster then the mycelium itself, that's probably yeast that you are seeing in the jars.

OfflineBraniac
Stranger

Loc: Injoemomscunt
Re: Yeast in my jars? (moved) [Re: denger]
    #9343141 - 12/01/08 10:41 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

will this completely ruin a grow? is this contam harmful to your health? there is notmuch on this board about yeast contam.

--------------------
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving, hysterical, naked, dragging themselves through the ghetto streets at dawn looking for an angry fix, angel headed hipsters burning for the ancient heavenly connection to the starry dynamo in the machinery of night, who poverty and tatters and hollow-eyed and high sat up smoking in the supernatural darkness of cold-water flats floating across the tops of cities contemplating jazz, who bared their brains to Heaven under the El and saw Mohammedan angels staggering on tenement roofs illuminated...

Offlinedenger
Mycelium keeper
Male User Gallery

Loc: Unites States of Dreams
Re: Yeast in my jars? (moved) [Re: Braniac]
    #9343339 - 12/01/08 11:22 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Yes, these jars are ruined. They should not be used. Yeast are not necessarily harmful (but they can be depending on the species), but they surely will slow mycelium to a crawl or halt its growth completely. They will also likely make the substrate quite acidic very fast, and produce nasty odors.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale