Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Grow Light

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinefredthetree
Stranger

Loc: Canada
flourescent lights?
    #934234 - 10/05/02 11:55 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Should I bother buying a flourescent light for growing shrooms (eq's)?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineTeon
Chemist/Self-AppointedFAQ Facist
Male

Loc: Here
Re: flourescent lights? [Re: fredthetree]
    #934265 - 10/05/02 12:21 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

unless for sleaths sake you are growing your shrooms in a completely sealed dark area, you'll just be wasting your $ (not that shoplights cost all that much. P. Cubensis is phototropic but not photosynthetic. Light is necessary to stimulate the production of cyclic Adenosine monophosphate (cAMP), the hormone which triggers pinset, but past that the presence of light is not doing anything your crop other than giving it light to read by and drawing attention to the grow area. SO long as you can see the cakes they are getting enough light to trigger fruiting. Hope that helps.

--------------------
No statements made in any post or message by myself should be construed to mean that I am now, have ever been, or will at any future time will be participating in or considering participation in any activities in violation of any legal statue; be it local, state, or federal law. All posts are works of fiction, and are intended for entertainment purposes only.

Don't just assume anything I or anyone else says is true. Test it for yourself. See if it's true.
Generate more useful information. The world is running desperately low on it.

InvisibleCheeba
the shroomyqueen

Loc: atop my secret mountain
    #934332 - 10/05/02 01:03 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

my Iguana says that grow lights are a HUGE NO NO!!!
he once fried a beautiful crop and was sooooo sad!!!
was the only time I've seen an Iguana cry.

--------------------
Carpe Diem <*))))><
Theres one sweet whirld out there!!
Now remember, you are unique! Just like everybody else!

OfflineI_Fart_Blue
Stranger

Loc: SItting on the Group W Be...
    #934387 - 10/05/02 01:38 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Despite what some people's iguanas are telling them, grow lights are not a bad thing. They are not necesarry however. A lot of people use them, and a lot of people use them with good results. I use a 48" fixture which will cost you about $20 at Lowes or any hardware store. You can use something smaller and you will be fine. I would recomend getting a tube that is specifically marked for aquariums and plants. These give off light in the blue spectrum that should be benificial, or so I have read here at the shroomery. I would go with somethign in the 40 watt range.

I am doing some infering here, and a more experienced mycologist can verify or rebuke this claim, but I would imagine that that light energy that is absorbed is in the blue spectrum. That light is probably triggers the production of cAMP, which is essentially a fungi's equal to ATP (Adenosine triphosphate in plants and animals). I would imagine that it is produced durring the entire life of the fruit body. Perhaps this is why UV lights, which, in the visable spectrum, give off only a violet light, produce very mangled and mutated mushrooms if used in growing. I'm not sure. Anno, or anybody have any thoughts on that?

--------------------
"A study of the history of opinion is a necessary preliminary to the emancipation of the mind. I do not know which makes a man more conservative-to know nothing but the present, or nothing but the past." -John Maynard Keynes

Edited by I_Fart_Blue (10/05/02 01:39 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Grow Light

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation