Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineAlbino_Jesus
Clearly Retarded
 User Gallery

Loc: Construction ahead...
Re: The old "spike in the steering wheel" ploy, eh? [Re: Xlea321]
    #934521 - 10/05/02 12:46 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

dear god, you really are a dim bulb aren't you?
the problem of overconfidence is a problem within specific people. it's a problem that can be dealt with through education. just putting people in cars and telling them "ok, you figure it out" is NOT a solution.

--------------------
The only difference between the Republican and Democratic parties is the velocities with which their knees hit the floor when corporations knock on their door.
-Ralph Nader

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: The old "spike in the steering wheel" ploy, eh? [Re: Albino_Jesus]
    #934526 - 10/05/02 12:47 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

the solution to the egotistical driver problem is BETTER driver education that deals with driver psychology as well as driving basics. putting a bunch of driving-idiots behind the wheel won't make it better, moron.

But as I've pointed out, You're an idiot so what does it matter what you think? You havn't got a clue what you are talking about. Find me an expert who agrees with your moronic ramblings and we can talk.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

OfflineAlbino_Jesus
Clearly Retarded
 User Gallery

#934533 - 10/05/02 12:51 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

moronic ramblings is taking a scientific study dealing with OVERCONFIDENCE of drivers due to them thinking they know it all from a basic driver's ed course and proposing that driver's ed be abolished to reduce the accident rate
I'm suggesting that people be taught not to overestimate their abilities and that they're not perfect.... to always be cautious and not mistake safety features for invincibility

your ideas are fucking BACKWARDS.
regressive, not progressive.

you're an underanalytical, bratty little shit.

--------------------
The only difference between the Republican and Democratic parties is the velocities with which their knees hit the floor when corporations knock on their door.
-Ralph Nader

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #934534 - 10/05/02 12:52 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Another expert:

Dr. Sam Peltzman. Peltzman systematically compared vehicle crash statistics before (1947-1956) versus after (1966-1972) the regulated installation of safety engineering innovations in vehicles (including seat belts, energy absorbing steering columns, padded instrument panels, penetration-resistant windshields, and dual braking systems). As predicted by risk compensation theory, Peltzman found that the vehicle-manufacturing safety standards had not led to a reduction in the frequency of crash fatalities per miles driven. Perhaps the most convincing evidence of risk compensation was that the cars equipped with safety devices were involved in a disproportionately high number of crashes.

And yet another:

Dr. John Adams of University College, London, UK, for example, compared traffic fatality rates between countries with versus without safety-belt use laws. His annual comparisons (from 1970 to 1978) showed dramatic reductions in fatal vehicle crash rates after countries introduced seat-belt use laws. Taken alone this data would lend strong support to the seat belt legislation. However, the drop in fatality rates was even greater in countries without safety-belt use laws.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #934545 - 10/05/02 12:55 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

you're an underanalytical, bratty little shit.

Are you upset? Or do you still think you are talking to your mother?

your ideas are fucking BACKWARDS.

I'll let you and pinky deal in "ideas". I'm dealing in fact. Proven scientific research. I'm reading the testimony of experts out there studying this - not little kids blowing it out their ass on a message board.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

OfflineAlbino_Jesus
Clearly Retarded
 User Gallery

#934560 - 10/05/02 01:06 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

you're posting research and using its results to come to simpleminded conclusions. higher accident rates in cars with safety features comes from the mentality of the driver, not from the safety features. safety features provide safety when used appropriately, not when taken as invincibility features.
teaching people to be responsible and to rely on caution, not their cars, will reduce accidents. removing safety features and driver's education will just result in idiots on the road with no protection whatsoever. the solution is in correcting faulty presumptions, not in leaving drivers to figure things out on their own through trial and error.

--------------------
-Ralph Nader

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #934577 - 10/05/02 01:16 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Whatever man.

I'm just reporting what these traffic experts are saying. That's pretty much all there is to say.

If you have any serious evidence for your points please post them. Until one of you can do that this thread is going nowhere.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

OfflineAlbino_Jesus
Clearly Retarded
 User Gallery

#934582 - 10/05/02 01:20 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

serious evidence for my point:

carefulness results in less mistakes.
carelessness results in more.

assuming safety features are cure-alls for accidents results in carelessness.
knowing their limits and knowing that you are responsible for your own mistakes results in caution.

--------------------
-Ralph Nader

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #934592 - 10/05/02 01:24 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

That's not really the point or what we've been discussing.

Clearly being careful will make you drive better, what we have been discussing is whether adding features such as airbags makes people more or less careful. All the evidence shows it makes them less careful thus increasing their accident rates.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

InvisibleVSOPXO
Cognacaholic

Re: The old "spike in the steering wheel" ploy, eh [Re: Xlea321]
    #934600 - 10/05/02 01:27 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Forget everything else. ANYONE who says driving with a fucking foot long spike sticking out of the steering wheel is the safest option is clearly retarded. Nobody should even argue with a jackass like that.

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: The old "spike in the steering wheel" ploy, eh [Re: VSOPXO]
    #934602 - 10/05/02 01:30 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Forget everything else.

Yeah forget everything you don't agree with. Fucking idiot.

It was obviously being used to make a point. The expert saying it had over 30 years experience in traffic safety. How many have you had?

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

OfflineAlbino_Jesus
Clearly Retarded
 User Gallery

#934612 - 10/05/02 01:35 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

because they're ignorant of the fact that these features aren't perfect.
better education on more than just *how to drive* will reduce ignorance.
it's that simple

--------------------
-Ralph Nader

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
    #934670 - 10/05/02 02:09 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

In reply to:

If your common sense doesn't correspond to all available scientific research then it's wrong.

What ? So you're wrong about your second ammendment beliefs then since the evidence shows what a fool you are?

In reply to:

Yeah forget everything you don't agree with. Fucking idiot.

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

Comic relief provided by Alex

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Edited by luvdemshrooms (10/05/02 02:15 PM)

InvisibleVSOPXO
Cognacaholic

Re: The old "spike in the steering wheel" ploy, eh [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #934688 - 10/05/02 02:21 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

In reply to:

It was obviously being used to make a point. The expert saying it had over 30 years experience in traffic safety. How many have you had?

not a damn one, also I've never had a damn year of experience working at the FDA, but if they told me eating arsenic was safer than eating a carrot I wouldn't believe their "experts" either. If you truly think a foot long steel spike in your steering wheel is the safest option, then do you personally have a steel spike in your steering wheel?

OfflineAlbino_Jesus
Clearly Retarded
 User Gallery

Re: The old "spike in the steering wheel" ploy, eh [Re: VSOPXO]
    #934700 - 10/05/02 02:26 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

If you truly think a foot long steel spike in your steering wheel is the safest option, then do you personally have a steel spike in your steering wheel? 

:grin: :grin: :grin:

--------------------
-Ralph Nader

InvisibleVSOPXO
Cognacaholic

Re: The old "spike in the steering wheel" ploy, eh [Re: Albino_Jesus]
    #935192 - 10/05/02 07:36 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

no response. Alex, please come back and enlighten us with your jackassed wisdom, I mean afterall your so correct about everything. I was walking across the street today and i thought "Can I do this safer? what would ALEX do?" so I laid down in the street because afterall tempting fate is ALWAYS the safest option,I also put a strip of tacks on my toilet seat for traction,you know ,so I wont slip in. You taught me to think like you.Thanks lil buddy

OfflineJammer
Computers areMORE Addictive!

Loc: (God's Country) - USA
Re: The old "spike in the steering wheel" ploy, eh? [Re: Phred]
    #935228 - 10/05/02 07:58 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

RE: "I personally think airbags are worse than useless"

I just wanted to say this: I worked with a supervisor recently that claims an airbag saved his life. I remember the day very well when this happen: He estimates he was going 55MPH and just glanced to the side for a moment to observe some contruction work going on... When he looked up it was to late- a truck was stoped waiting to turn left- He had almost no time to slow down- He, and the police involved gave credit to the airbag for saving his life- yes he still was brusied up, but he had no broken bones and walked away... to the ER for a checkup.

I also once overheard on my police scanner where a 14 year old boy had stolen a car and then floored the gas untill he hit the brick side of a large hardware store in Flint Michigan (aparent suicide attempt)- The first officer on the sceen actualy said on the police radio that the speedometer was frozen at 88 mph (it made me think of the movie back to the future!) and that boy was "lucky to be alive... the airbag saved him"- I rember this all too very well- cuz I was afraid that it was my runaway step-son that was involved.

Please dont knock airbags- (They DO save lives).

--------------------
>>Jammer>>

Edited by Jammer (10/05/02 09:58 PM)

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: The old "spike in the steering wheel" ploy, eh? [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #935908 - 10/06/02 01:29 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I'm still waiting for scientific evidence to back up your position that airbags reduce accident rates.

Looks like the usual position we get in these threads. On one side is the usual arselickers who need to agree with everything the other says, pink, luvdem etc, on the other side is every expert in the field who has actually studied this subject.

Make up your own mind.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

InvisibleVSOPXO
Cognacaholic

Re: The old "spike in the steering wheel" ploy, eh [Re: Xlea321]
    #935927 - 10/06/02 01:48 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

In reply to:

I'm still waiting for scientific evidence to back up your position that airbags reduce accident rates.

you seem to be uanble to read, either that or just very dysfuntional. I'll say it once more, read the words and think about them inside you tiny narrow mind:
In reply to:

I've never had a damn year of experience working at the FDA, but if they told me eating arsenic was safer than eating a carrot I wouldn't believe their "experts" either. If you truly think a foot long steel spike in your steering wheel is the safest option, then do you personally have a steel spike in your steering wheel?

well what do you have to say?

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: The old "spike in the steering wheel" ploy, eh? [Re: Jammer]
    #935932 - 10/06/02 01:50 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Please dont knock airbags- (They DO save lives).

Nice to hear someone with an actual point for a change! I'm sure they do Jammer.  What we're discussing, (well, you can't discuss with these morons - I'm providing massive amounts of expert evidence and they're saying "Duh like dude, you got a spike in your wheel dude?"  :grin:)

What we're discussing is whether airbags reduce the accident rate. All the scientific evidence ever done and every expert studying the subject shows that they don't. That's good enough for me. But sure - if you've been driving at 90mph through the street and crash an airbag might save you. What we need is a way of stopping people driving like that tho.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Edited by Alex123 (10/06/02 01:53 AM)

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale