Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Offlinepostalboy
I'm not myfucking khaki's!
Loc: My tiny corner of the pad...
Re: Fruit of "knowledge of good and evil" [Re: BlueJay]
    #931636 - 10/04/02 10:57 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

How can anyone say no meat is good???Bible says it is more than once...

Apparently the bible also says to bomb Iraq because in the future they may have the same weapons we do and to fuck little boys who are part of your congregation. BUT I don't listen to those things either.  Anybody who listens to the bible simply because it is the "bible" is a sheep.  Think for yourself just once.  JUST ONCE!

And yes I am a bit of an asshole.  :smirk: 

--------------------
"You people voted for Hubert Humphrey, and you killed Jesus." F and L in L.V.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleAdom
Totally Nude
 User Gallery
Loc: Way Up North
Re: Fruit of "knowledge of good and evil" [Re: raytrace]
    #931831 - 10/04/02 12:21 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

< am I wrong?

No but you could be starting another yawner of a vegan/carnivore debate where everyone digs up all there links backing 50 different points of view on the subject and no one changes their mind.

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
    #932150 - 10/04/02 02:10 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

raytrace writes:

you can have a balanced diet without eating meat. am I wrong?

No, you are not wrong -- IF you have access to the necessary combinations of various plants required to provide all essential minerals, vitamins, and micronutrients. Not all humans in every location on the planet have such access, but they do in many cases have access to animal food sources -- the Inuit who live in Arctic climes, as just one example.

From a standpoint of MORALITY, it is not immoral to consume the flesh of other species in order to further one's existence.

pinky

--------------------

OfflineNiamhNyx
I'm NOT a 'he'
Female User Gallery

#933182 - 10/04/02 09:33 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I'm a vegitarian, and I can't eat dairy coz i'm allergic. Full out vegans can have a complete diet, its just harder.

Meat is not necessary at all, and dairy, contrary to popular belief is generally bad for the majority of the population as the protein molecules are too large for the human intestine to digest, it causes irritation.

The only issues you have to address when you chose to not eat meat is that you get enough protein and b vitamins, you have to learn about how food works so that you can plan the right combinations of amino acid source. Also, you have to make sure you're getting enough omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids, but its not only vegitarians that have issues with this. Eggs and flax are both good sources.

Its really not too hard to have a complete diet as a veg, most vegitarians i know are healthier than meat eaters simply because they know what they're doing and exactly what they need in thier system and they make sure they get it.

I chose not to eat meat, because considering where I live it's simply not necessary, and the meat industry does some pretty sick shit to the animals. I'm all for free range, properly treated meat but I chose to eat none of it. I feel healthier, my body likes vegitarianism. I'd eat meat if I had to, if i was lost in a forest and it was a matter of survival I tell you now I would not hesitate to kill an animal, of course i would thank it for its sacrafice and its generosity in allowing me its life.

Edited by NiamhNyx (10/04/02 09:37 PM)

Offlinechemkid
Be excellent toeach other

Loc: Between a rock and a hard...
Re: Fruit of "knowledge of good and evil" [Re: NiamhNyx]
    #933198 - 10/04/02 09:39 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Where in the heck did you get your information about the proteins in milk being too large for us to digest? Bah humbug. There are some that are lactose intolerant so they get sick if they eat/drink dairy products (maybe this is what you are referring to). Lactose however is a sugar not a protein. Those that are lactose intolerant is because they have a genetic defect in their E.Coli bacteria in their stomach and can't catabolize the sugar. Otherwise dairy is a perfectly normal source of dietary intake.

--------------------
An open mind is the greatest journey of all.

OfflineNiamhNyx
I'm NOT a 'he'
Female User Gallery

Re: Fruit of "knowledge of good and evil" [Re: chemkid]
    #933238 - 10/04/02 09:56 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I got this information from several doctors, all explaining my reaction to dairy. Many many people are allergic. Think about it- its made for cows, they have 4 stomaches in which to digest it with- they can digest  cellulose, we certainly can't. Cows have a much tougher digestive system than we do, we aren't meant to eat cows milk. They should really just make cheese out of breast milk.... :grin:

Dairy allergy is different than lactose intolerance, its often subtle but can be rather violent. Its symptoms are increased phlegm production, slight or more pronounced intestinal irritation, becoming exhausted easily, smelliness, etc...

I do know what I'm talking about here, I'm in no way bullshitting anyone. Humans are the only ones who drink milk after infancy and the only ones that take it from another animal, imagine adult squirrels suckin back on the teats of your cat and you may see how crazy it is that we do this. I admit, dairy is awesome, i love it, its tasty, but its not a natural part of the human diet for any reason other than we decided it was enjoyable, and took it.

Offlineehud
Rocket Scientist
Loc: Middle America
    #933485 - 10/04/02 11:18 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

ok... so if you believe that eat or not eating somthing is wrong couldn't doing drugs be wrong too?  I mean if a person gets all fucked up on drugs they do not help out the social nature of humans.  If everybody was getting lased out with mushrooms on a regular basis the civilization would not be the same as we know it.  If people over indulge in what "they" think is good could really end up being bad for everybody else.  Dose anybody agree?  I think that eating is a form of indulgment, the BIBLE on other sources too explain how gluttany is "bad".  So no matter what you feel is right, it is understood that there are a few basic rules that should not be broken even if you think you are only hurting yourself.  I think mushrooms give us a doorway into seeing how overindulgence can affect  both life and society.  Part of this is because the mushroom gives us an overindulgence into the spirtual world unlike eating sleeping or any other activity.  By giving into you desires you begin to see how this giving can be dangerous ( you dont really know how bad _____ is untill you 've tried it). 

pardon the spelling, it is late :cool: 

Offlinejohnnyfive
Burning withCircles!
Loc: Hell
Re: Fruit of "knowledge of good and evil" [Re: ehud]
    #934279 - 10/05/02 10:33 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

WOOOhoo WOOhoo .. the bible can be interprited MANYS WAYS. We whoever wrote the bible they presived that christ was (god=External). The fucking christians got the bible a bad name. Because even THEY are confused, the bible has many truths!!!!!!!! Jesus (possible once was a guy that ate a insightfull mushroom) said that in the end (revelations), nobody can tell you christ is "there, or there he is, or he is here", because CHRIST WILL BE FOUND IN YOUR SELF. This alone conviced me that the bible has been interprited wrong for a long time.

Jesus christ isn't in my opinon a good way to name it. Christ being the god within and jesus was a man. So its jesus with out christ would be like john, jane, or any other name. Christ is a word like is to discover within. So jesus christ was a man to discover god in self. Just my two cents

--------------------
And the gameshow host rings the buzzer (brrnnntt) oh and now you get a face full of face!

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida
Re: Fruit of "knowledge of good and evil" [Re: kREATION1]
    #934614 - 10/05/02 01:36 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Yes! Exactly! That's not the same example I've seen, but thanks for illustrating!

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

OfflineGrowingVines
Slowly Changinginto a Tree
Loc: GA
Re: Fruit of "knowledge of good and evil" [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #934652 - 10/05/02 01:57 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Why not kill animals to eat.....they would do the same to us. Polar Bears for example are one type of animal that enjoys Humans for food =). Can you or God judge a bear or a lion for killing a antilope or a human?

peace out my brothers, for everyone has a bit of insanity in them

--------------------
Peace out my brothers, for everyone has a bit of insanity in them

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Re: Fruit of "knowledge of good and evil" [Re: BlueJay]
    #934682 - 10/05/02 02:16 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

The Bible speaks of eating "pulse," which is vegetarian fare. John the Baptist lived on "locusts and wild honey" (Matt. 3:4) which wasn't exactly vegetarian, but locusts were among the 'clean' foods of Leviticus. Eggs and fish are mentioned in the Gospels, and Paul uses 'meat' and 'milk' as analogies to those who can handle the difficult to 'assimilate' spiritual truths versus the newbies who must be 'milk-fed.'

The sacrifice of thousands of lambs at Passover for thousands of years, attests to the use of meat for ritual and consumption by Biblical ethics. The creatures of Earth are for mankind in this anthrocentric view, but specialized diets correspond to specialized states of mind and their corresponding outer roles as prophet, visionary, etc. It is a harsh truth - the food chain - that characterizes biological life on the planet. I became vegan for some years, foregoing milk and eggs as well as fish and meat, but my overall health suffered. If I could live on more rarified sources of energy - fruit, or water, air and light, I would forego the pleasures of the pallet and belly for the higher fulfillment of being able to assimilate pure energy with far less intermediary steps. Alas, this carbon unit must survive, and I must admit, at the cost of animal lives.

I have thought about what would happen if all of our agriculturally raised animals were suddenly released back into the landscape, and no further butchery was to
occur. Unregulated reproduction, unregulated consumption of grasslands, no natural predators (except the occasional endangered big cat), encroachment into highways and residential areas for foraging, death/decay/disease. This wouldn't be like the occasional Hindu Holy Cow in the street. There are people developing more humane killing machines which are designed to eliminate the fear factor by removing visual and auditory stimuli from the slaughterhouse.

There is always the recurrent thought that 'it is all perfect,' and I just can't see the whole picture - slaughterhouses and all. The Gnostics rejected the Creator God and called him the Demiurge, because they refused to believe that a Good God would create the horror of nature. They seemed to reject the beauty and intelligent design of nature as well.

I give thanks for food before I eat it, and I thank the animal who died for me, as well as God who provided everything (in an infinite regress) that led to the conscious moment that I am praying in. I learned thanksgiving to the animal from Native Americans, and I believe this is a respectful approach, since it is not the most compassionate approach (which would be a vegan meal). Nevertheless, a couple times a year, I will splurge at Houston's Steak House and order the $28.00 filet mignon. If I live to be good and old, I will not be able to do this because time and entropy will be devouring me.

--------------------

OfflineNiamhNyx
I'm NOT a 'he'
Female User Gallery

#935920 - 10/06/02 01:43 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

The key of all is moderation.

I am NOT against eating animals, I'm against taking advantage of our power and abusing and exploiting them for minor gain and mere indulgence. I am against raping the beings of this planet just so I can have a Big Mac. Like I said, eating animals is fine, no problem, but factory meat farms and slaughterhouses do some sick things and I just can't support an industry that doesn't respect the life that sustains it.

I felt hypocritical, as a meat eater, enjoying my roast chicken but knowing that I would not go through with killing it myself, connecting with the creature on that level and truly having the full experience of life-death-life. This is MY philosophy, I am not against eating meat, but I think that my reasoning is very valid and fair.

Oh and we quite obviously couldn't release hundreds of thousands of farm animals into the wild, we've bred them to our standards for centuries, there are far too many of them (our own damn fault) and they don't know how to live in the wild. What we *can* do though is breed less cattle, making the populations more reasonable and treat them all with the dignity they deserve, not feeding cow parts back to cows, not keeping calves trapped in stalls in which they cannot move, not feeding them second rate food etc....

Many farms treat animals well, these are usually smaller farms. But many treat them terribly and I think that if you respect the concept of life you gotta respect all life, not just human. (Respecting life means either experiencing the life-death-life cycle by killing, eating and sustaining yourself with meat, and/or boycotting violent, unethical and corrupt systems.)

Edited by NiamhNyx (10/06/02 01:48 AM)

Anonymous

Re: Fruit of "knowledge of good and evil" [Re: ehud]
    #937123 - 10/06/02 05:19 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I eat a lot of pizza and I own an ant farm.

Sometimes I go heavy on the sauce and I make the ants salute me with their antennae as a way to signify my rank.

Am I going to hell?

Ehud? Anybody?

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

#940343 - 10/07/02 03:01 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I agree with you. We buy free range chicken, eggs and meat whenever possible; we don't eat at fast food retaurants. My wife hasn't eaten fast food in 25 years. I supplement my protein intake with pricey casein-egg products in shakes, for breakfast, and eat cottage cheese (since I can handle lactose, while beans give me enough gas to supply electricity to a small Indian village).

--------------------

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Re: Fruit of "knowledge of good and evil" [Re: ]
    #940361 - 10/07/02 03:08 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

"THEM!!!...THEM!!!...THEM!!!...Y-I-I-I-I-I-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-*"

--------------------

Anonymous

#940600 - 10/07/02 04:38 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
    #941577 - 10/08/02 01:46 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

hey markos, hey everybody...
locusts & honey... well, ya, ingesting insects is still done in many areas (including the middle east), but --- it is possible that the "locusts" which the baptist ate in the wilderness were actually seedpods of the locust tree (carob = st john's bread)... quite nutritious & a fairly good source of protein...
~
a thoughtful vegetarian diet is almost certainly more healthful than an "omnivore" diet... and an all meat diet (like that of classic eskimo culture) may be pretty bad for ya...

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: Fruit of "knowledge of good and evil" [Re: Adamist]
    #942001 - 10/08/02 06:32 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

What if I had to kill and eat my friend to survive, because we were trapped in an avalanche for weeks? Would you consider me evil?

Nah, that would be OK, but what if you "needed" a snack after only four hours?

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order