Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinetrich_cultivator
Martyr of spores

potato agar....
    #9328492 - 11/28/08 05:41 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

what will NOT grow on potato agar?? Thanks in advance!

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedenger
Mycelium keeper
Male User Gallery

Loc: Unites States of Dreams
Re: potato agar.... [Re: trich_cultivator]
    #9328870 - 11/28/08 07:30 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

According to Stamets it can be used interchangeably with Malt Extract Agar.

Speaking of potato agar, the recipe on this site calls for boiling potatoes or using 5g instant potato flakes instead. What's not clear to me if the instant potato flakes need to be boiled as well for 30 min, or they can be just added to the mix and will dissolve on their own in the PC?

Offlinetrich_cultivator
Martyr of spores

Re: potato agar.... [Re: denger]
    #9329609 - 11/28/08 10:24 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

denger said:
Speaking of potato agar, the recipe on this site calls for boiling potatoes or using 5g instant potato flakes instead. What's not clear to me if the instant potato flakes need to be boiled as well for 30 min, or they can be just added to the mix and will dissolve on their own in the PC?

I just let pc do the work, I have never boiled any and they have all worked fine. I have probably done over 60 dishes so far with potato flakes. Regards

--------------------

OfflinePitcherCrab
Crescent Fresh
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: The bottom of the sea.
Trusted Cultivator
    #9329702 - 11/28/08 10:51 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Whenever I use potato flakes I end up with thick goopy stuff at the bottom of my agar. How do you deal with that?

--------------------
PC's LAGM 2021 (TOC & TWC)
P. natalensis Growlog 2021
Pans for PC Fall 2021 Growlog

“I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.” - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Offlinedstark
Manifesting Minds
Male User Gallery

Re: potato agar.... [Re: PitcherCrab]
    #9329945 - 11/28/08 11:45 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

You boil potatoes for about 20-30min (big pieces), you use the water for your agar.
Just filter the water(no potatoe pieces should be there) add your agar and dextrose.

Many gourment shrooms myc. wont grow on PDA (like Agaricus bisporus) so you batter you malt extract agar.

--------------------
What is a mind, if not something to be messed with? What is consciousness, if not a state to be altered?

~I Feel
:mushroom2:
at Home~

Offlinetrich_cultivator
Martyr of spores

Re: potato agar.... [Re: dstark]
    #9333787 - 11/29/08 07:07 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

dstark said:
Many gourment shrooms myc. wont grow on PDA (like Agaricus bisporus) so you batter you malt extract agar.

lol, damn!!! Guess I wasted a few dishes, I have had success with pleurotus (ostreatus and djamor), and enoki, and panellus. I just tried to clone some nice crimini, and the most beautiful shiitake I have ever seen! So I am figuring the two wont work on this agar. They dont seem to be taking.....:(

--------------------

Offlinedenger
Mycelium keeper
Male User Gallery

#9333892 - 11/29/08 07:23 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

dstark said:
You boil potatoes for about 20-30min (big pieces), you use the water for your agar.

So, basically the water I normally discard when making mashed potatoes? :grin:

OfflineParesthesia
Stranger
Male

Loc: Texas
    #9334513 - 11/29/08 10:06 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

You should boil your potatoes whole and then peel the skins off after removing them, while they are still hot.  Less water in the potatoes means they can soak up more delicious butterfat.

Take the skin scrapings and put those in your agar. :grin:

I've put all kinds of weird stuff in agar.  Honey.  Cat food.  Sawdust.  Beer.  Water I used to steam broccoli.  I saw someone make agar with pureed green beans.  I usually just use premixed MDA because I'm lazy.

--------------------
"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time."

- T. S. Eliot

Offlinefalcon
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #9335090 - 11/30/08 12:16 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

dstark said:
Just filter the water(no potatoe pieces should be there) add your agar and dextrose.

I've never seen something that would grow on Malt agar that wouldn't grow on PDYA.

Your description for making agar is good, though I add yeast besides the dextrose and agar.

Cheers,

falcon

Offlinedenger
Mycelium keeper
Male User Gallery

Re: potato agar.... [Re: falcon]
    #9336008 - 11/30/08 06:24 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

falcon said:
though I add yeast besides the dextrose and agar.

You know, this might be the key here. Dextrose + potato extract contains practically no protein (no Nitrogen). Yeast extract (or just boiled yeast) provide that quite nicely.

Offlinemushroomhunter10
Jack-Of-All-Trades
Male User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
    #9336017 - 11/30/08 06:28 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

What's a ghetto version of dextrose that might be around the house?

Thanks

--------------------
Imagine if you needed it and it wasn't there... GIVE BLOOD
Get a free (PAINLESS) bone marrow testing kit and help save lives HERE.
Jesus if you're reading this, please come back already. We need you now more than ever!
The U.S. Constitution!

Best WBS Tek
EZ Potato-Honey Agar Tek
MY TRADES

Offlinedenger
Mycelium keeper
Male User Gallery

Re: potato agar.... [Re: mushroomhunter10]
    #9336702 - 11/30/08 11:20 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

mushroomhunter10 said:
What's a ghetto version of dextrose that might be around the house?

You can buy dextrose at your supermarket, they sell it for diabetic people.

Honey or light corn syrup will also do, even though they contain different sugars (not dextrose). With honey you also get added benefit of some proteins (nitrogen source). However, you will have to use more of these two by weight since they also contain water. See grow guides on this site for the proper ratios.

Offlinedenger
Mycelium keeper
Male User Gallery

#9339024 - 11/30/08 05:49 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Ok, I cooked up some Potato-Honey-Yeast agar (PHYA?). First impression is that it is very cloudy, almost like skim milk, from the potato flakes.

I can plate some species on both MEA and PHYA and compare the speed of growth (and post some pics here in a few days). I have an extensive collection of edible species, so what should I plate?

Offlinesolumvita
Q.B.E.
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Africa
Trusted Cultivator
    #9341673 - 12/01/08 01:03 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Try Agaricus, Shitake and Hericeum, please :grin:

--------------------
One of these days all the answers will be revealed until then we learn from each other!

www.mushrush.co.za

OfflineParesthesia
Stranger
Male

Re: potato agar.... [Re: solumvita]
    #9342282 - 12/01/08 05:07 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I just had about 25 freshly poured plates contam!  Yay!  I'm thinking about putting a UV bulb in a box and letting my plates cool under it.  I have to do something.

So I'll make some of this PDYA up this evening.  I had to do a bit of hunting, but I finally found a box if instant mashed potatoes that just contained potato.  I don't know if mushroom mycelium benefits from pyrophosphate or sodium bisulfite, but these things aren't "food" for us, so why should they be fed to mycelium? :grin:

Now potatoes, that's another story!  Fungi love potatoes, especially that blight stuff that caused that Irish potato famine.

Honey, now that's interesting.  Honey has been used for millenia as a treatment for wounds.  It has antibiotic qualities.  There is new research going on now using honey, which seems to kill many types of bacteria which resist antibiotic medications.

--------------------
"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time."

- T. S. Eliot

Offlinedenger
Mycelium keeper
Male User Gallery

#9342852 - 12/01/08 09:39 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

solumvita said:
Try Agaricus, Shitake and Hericeum, please :grin:

Well, I do not have any Agaricus (nor do I have any interest in having it :grin:). I have plated L. edodes on both medium last night. Will do Hericium tonight.

Offlinesolumvita
Q.B.E.
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Africa
Trusted Cultivator
    #9342898 - 12/01/08 09:48 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I want the Agaricus to know if blazei will grow not worried about bisporus at all. 

I know for sure blazei will grow on PDA :grin:

--------------------
One of these days all the answers will be revealed until then we learn from each other!

www.mushrush.co.za

Offlinedenger
Mycelium keeper
Male User Gallery

#9403089 - 12/09/08 10:09 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Ok, the word is in. My Shiitake strain likes PHYA better then MEA. After 10 days, the colony on MEA is 46mm in diameter, and 52 mm in diameter on my PHYA. I did make some pics, but the lids have condensation on them, so the only ones where you can see anything is the see-through ones, and they are UGLY. If anyone insists I will post them, otherwise, I don't want the embarrassment.
PS the MEA is from Fungi.com, cooked according to the bottle recipe. PHYA is 10gm instant mash potatoes, 10gm honey, 1gm frozen (not dry) yeast, 10gm agar in 500ml d-water.

Offlinetrich_cultivator
Martyr of spores

#9403258 - 12/09/08 10:28 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

did you use agar powder for PHYA?

--------------------

OfflineParesthesia
Stranger
Male

#9404327 - 12/10/08 05:26 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

denger said:
I did make some pics, but the lids have condensation on them, so the only ones where you can see anything is the see-through ones, and they are UGLY. If anyone insists I will post them, otherwise, I don't want the embarrassment.

I am intrigued!  What do you mean by ugly?  I won't insist on embarassing you here, but something about this seems really amusing to me. :smile:

I made some up some PDYA plates over the weekend, and so far all of them look good!  (I think the Simco was a good investment.  So far no contammed plates, and the pasteurized sawdust blocks I made up are looking good too.)  The resulting plates were really cloudy, though.  I used 10g of instant mashed potatoes, 1g of dry brewer's yeast, 9g of corn dextrose and 9g of agar powder to 500 ml of reverse-osmosis filtered water.

I've been thinking about other options for the potato water.  Durum semolina flour pasta is very high in protein and starch, so what about using pasta water?  I might have to ease back on the salt and olive oil a bit, but that takes care of the P and the Y. :smile:

--------------------

- T. S. Eliot

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates