Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePsychedelica
Stranger
Psilocybin dose for migraines
    #9325178 - 11/28/08 12:01 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

My friend is unlucky enough to suffer from migraine headaches. She doesnt get them all that often but when she does, they are absolutely horrible she says. Earlier today, she had one and was in immense pain for pretty much the entire day.

Based on memory, I mentioned to her that psilocybin, the active ingredient in magic mushrooms is known to aid significantly with migraines. However, she told me that she doesnt want to trip. She mentioned that if it would help at a dose lower than enough to cause psychedelic effects, she might think about it.

I was wondering if anybody had some data on the psilocybin dosage required to aid in migraines, namely if it is notably lower than a psychoactive dosage. Would her consuming say, half of a cap, be of any use?

Also Im wondering if this would be a short-term or a long-term cure. Is it something that would help prevent them for a long period of time, or would it just prevent an imminent migraine attack?

Edited by Psychedelica (11/28/08 12:08 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleopenmind
curious
 User Gallery

Re: Psilocybin dose for migraines [Re: Psychedelica]
    #9325618 - 11/28/08 03:03 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

I was wondering if anybody had some data on the psilocybin dosage required to aid in migraines, namely if it is notably lower than a psychoactive dosage. Would her consuming say, half of a cap, be of any use?

Also Im wondering if this would be a short-term or a long-term cure. Is it something that would help prevent them for a long period of time, or would it just prevent an imminent migraine attack?

I think MAPS is doing research on psilocybin at this very moment and hopefully in the near future these questions can be answered....

And i am not 100% sure on this, but i think that it had to do more with "cluster migraines" rather than a typical "Migraine" headache...I think there is a difference between the two, like i said though i am not sure

--------------------

Offlinedonvliet
beyond reality

Re: Psilocybin dose for migraines [Re: openmind]
    #9325626 - 11/28/08 03:08 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I think it was cluster headaches that it helped against. And you only needed sub-psychedelic doses of either psilocybin or lsd. Cluster headaches are NOT the same as migraine, so check for the symptoms and compare.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cluster_headache

InvisibleGerman Kahuna
Facepalmer of Stoopid
Male User Gallery

Loc: On a Chemical Vacation
    #9325633 - 11/28/08 03:10 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Psychedelica said: Also Im wondering if this would be a short-term or a long-term cure. Is it something that would help prevent them for a long period of time, or would it just prevent an imminent migraine attack?

After 72 hours all Psilocybin/Psilocin has been degraded and left your body, so if it were to help your friend with her migraine, it would not be a long term thing. That's one of the things that make mushrooms so special. They have no long term effects on your body chemistry, no (toxic, poisonous) deposits whatsoever.
For me it's the "friendliest" drug there is.

--------------------
"Vegetarian" [ /ˌvedʒəˈteəriən/] - Ancient slang meaning "village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride".

Edited by German Kahuna (11/28/08 03:13 AM)

OfflinePsychedelica
Stranger
    #9325679 - 11/28/08 03:51 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

She's told me that she has been given Imitrex (sumatriptan) before and that worked miracles, which is why I thought that psilocybin would work out well for that.

And yeah I think that they're just migraines, not necessarily cluster headaches but I could be wrong...she'd know better than I. Thanks for responding :smile:

OfflineTastyPop
Psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: Cerebral Cortex
    #9325736 - 11/28/08 04:41 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

If you want it to have some effect on her without psychoactivity.

you can just give her like like .2 to .3 of a gram and it will at least make her eyesight a little better =P

--------------------
I feel very much like alice.....

Invisibleshroomophile
ShroomitusFidelis
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA
Re: Psilocybin dose for migraines [Re: TastyPop]
    #9325937 - 11/28/08 07:08 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Heres a link to some useful info.
http://www.erowid.org/plants/mushrooms/mushrooms_medical1.shtml

I've also read that Tampanensis stones are used in Great Briton For Migraine's.They are much more mild so possibly could take a larger dose w/o tripping.

--------------------
Once the mighty oak,was a nut who held his ground.

Edited by shroomophile (11/28/08 07:22 AM)

Offlinebeaudesotva
Peace monger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Sierra Desert
Re: Psilocybin dose for migraines [Re: shroomophile]
    #9326006 - 11/28/08 07:53 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I would recommend making a shroom tea, you can easily control the dose by sip and the onset is within ten to twenty minutes. the taste is also not at all unpleasant if made properly and it wont upset her stomach. orizon seems to have a cool idea in chilling it, so if she needed more it would be always available.

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/2230205#2230205

--------------------
Uncertainty is the only certainty there is, and knowing how to live with insecurity is the only security - John Allen Paulos

Edited by beaudesotva (11/28/08 07:55 AM)

Offlinealkylbenzene23
Indeed
 User Gallery

Re: Psilocybin dose for migraines [Re: beaudesotva]
    #9326559 - 11/28/08 10:43 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Its cluster headaches for which psilocybin mushrooms have/are been/being researched.

--------------------
If you try to lick your cat while tripping, and they bite you, are you even?

OfflineLSDreamer
Materialist
Male

Re: Psilocybin dose for migraines [Re: alkylbenzene23]
    #9326568 - 11/28/08 10:44 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

alkylbenzene23 said:
Its cluster headaches for which psilocybin mushrooms have/are been/being researched.

What he said. Cluster headaches and migraines aren't the same thing.

--------------------

InvisibleAsht0n
love ♥
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ellan Vannin Flag
    #9326572 - 11/28/08 10:45 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I'm all for finding medicinal uses in any drug but if sumatriptan works well for her with no side effects, I'd have to recommend it over experimental treatment with psilocybin.

--------------------

InvisibleCidneyIndole
www.shroomery.OG
Male User Gallery

Loc: Love's Secret Domain
    #9327248 - 11/28/08 01:22 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

This hasn't been mentioned so far... and perhaps it will help.

Had you or your friend considered trying "LSA" containing seeds?  (Morning Glory, Hawaiian Baby Woodrose, Rivea...)?

Quote:

After several years of success by others treating cluster headaches with psilocybin mushrooms, Hannah, a woman in The Netherlands began researching other related indole ring psychedelics to see if her husband might have greater success with similar products. He was able to break a particularly nasty cycle with a couple small doses of LSA from Hawaiian Baby Woodrose seeds. His earlier use of psilocybin mushrooms had provided a great deal of relief but did not completely end his cycle.

Clusterbuster's continued this research and over a period of time, more people have been trying this method, either in conjunction with (not at the same time but as a followup dose), or instead of psilocybin. Results have again been very encouraging. LSA often breaking cycles that even psilocybin could not break. This had long been a subject of discussion as it appears that LSD is even more effective (based upon anecdotal reports) than psilocybin. With LSA being somewhat in the middle between psilocybin and LSD, these results were not surprising to those following and researching this treatment.

Quote taken from THIS SITE.

Ergotamine (found in the seeds) has been (and still is, to the best of my knowledge) used in migraine medications.  Google "cafergot patient information" or something to that effect, and you will see what I mean. This medication combines ergotamine with caffeine.

If I were to try this with MG seeds, I would probably start at around 1 gram (or even 1/2, if I were nervous about it,) and then work my way up, until I found the maximum effective dose without noticeable psychedelic effect.

I think the easiest way to do this might be to use a cold water extraction on, say, 6 grams of seed.  I would then divide the resulting liquid (MEASURE!!!) into 6 parts, making it easier to dose at a known level ( 1/6 of a 6 gram extract = roughly 1 gram extracted) while still having a reserve supply if the 1g dose was not enough.

--------------------
------------------------
I am me. We are You.

Offlinesillypysben
Stranger
    #19937906 - 05/03/14 09:48 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

I suffer migraines, and find 0.3 - 0.5 grams of dried cube, works very well for getting rid of a migraine for 4 hours or so. The dose isn't high enough to get anything more than a body high. However as the shrooms wear off the headache can return, making the return to reality unpleasant. It's preferable to doseing on codene, which often does nothing for me.
I have taken more when having a bad migraine, but I wouldn't advice more than a gram, as it does taint a trip with a slightly dark edge. Worst 3 gram trip was taken when I had a migraine. The migraine vanished, but the trip was not pleasant, especially as the come down hailed the return on the headache.

Offlinefantasticfungus
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Psilocybin dose for migraines [Re: sillypysben]
    #19939726 - 05/04/14 11:34 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

This posts ancient, but for some of us its a right up to the moment question.  Its true that as little as 0.3 or 0.5 gram can curtail a migraine and any amount much more than a gram causes tripping.

Sorry to learn you sometimes get the headache coming back again on the comedown sillypysben, do you take any daily medication to help with the migraines?

My wife takes a  Benzocycloheptene based drug (such as Pizotifen or Sandomigran) daily, she says it keeps the headache suppressed and when she does need to use the shroom remedy (she still takes a preventative dose of wavy or lib-caps on a weekly basis as a matter of course) it kills the headache stone dead and with no recurrence on the comedown.

I dunno because its not me that's suffered a life of agony from this thing, but just the thought that there's the possibility that my Mr's way of beating this monster with her combo of daily prescription pizotifen and wild picked psycadelic mushrooms taken once each week can help others, well I want them to know about it.

Offlinecrowseed
90% mushroom

Loc: rising from the earth
Re: Psilocybin dose for migraines [Re: fantasticfungus]
    #20230856 - 07/06/14 02:17 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

I find that 3 to 6 dried liberty caps kills a migraine for me. Nothing trippy. Nothing else has ever worked to stop a migraine for me before.

Invisiblebudbud420
UNIVERSAL
Male

Loc: Queensland Flag
Re: Psilocybin dose for migraines [Re: crowseed]
    #20230994 - 07/06/14 04:02 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

I gave shroom powder to a good friend of mine whos friend suffers from cluster migraines which he passed it onto..

The results were positive..

Apperently he dosed as soon as he got one and within 20 mins he had a popping sound in his head and the pain was released with euphoric feelings going down his spine he said the popping sound continued 5 or so times..

Now he wants more..

I told my good friend to come to this site and learn for himself how to hunt but i dont think hunting shrooms is for everyone.. He still hasnt done it..

--------------------

OfflineUniverse
Friend

Re: Psilocybin dose for migraines [Re: budbud420]
    #20231496 - 07/06/14 09:30 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

My wife gets nasty migraines each month during her PMS week. I try to get her to try a small shroom dose but so far she hasn't. There's all this cluster headache talk, but I think that has to do with convincing higher-ups that it's worthy for research. My guess is that psilocybin can help all kinds of migraines.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies