Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDamion5050
Mush Doctor
Male User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Translation ! Flag
Trusted Cultivator
PMP HELP
    #9319970 - 11/26/08 11:12 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Well I made myself a pmp.. It is 15 by 12 and about 16 high..  It has 4 inches of geolite and about 3 inches of water with a 40 gallon fish tank pump and two 10 inch bubble wands in the bottom..  The problem is I can't seem to get the humidity over 90%, there are no air holes I fan every 2-3 hours.. So can any give me any advice on how to get the humidity up..

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBoris
Viking Warrior, of Valour
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: TX. Flag
Re: PMP HELP [Re: Damion5050]
    #9319985 - 11/26/08 11:18 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Perlight has a larger surface area then Geolight, therefor produces more humidity. getcha' some of that :thumbup:

--------------------
AMU

Terence McKenna Said:
"We have to create culture, don't watch TV, don't read magazines, don't even listen to NPR. Create your own roadshow. The nexus of space and time where you are now is the most immediate sector of your universe, and if you're worrying about Michael Jackson or Bill Clinton or somebody else, then you are disempowered, you're giving it all away to icons, icons which are maintained by an electronic media so that you want to dress like X or have lips like Y. This is shit-brained, this kind of thinking. That is all cultural diversion, and what is real is you and your friends and your associations, your highs, your orgasms, your hopes, your plans, your fears. And we are told 'no', we're unimportant, we're peripheral. 'Get a degree, get a job, get a this, get a that.' And then you're a player, you don't want to even play in that game. You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that's being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world."

Invisiblenw_shroomy
NoN-stranger
 User Gallery

Re: PMP HELP [Re: Boris]
    #9320343 - 11/27/08 12:53 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

PmP doesn't use perlite to humidify it.So thats wrong advise unless we was talking a different setup.
What type of hygrometer do you have?Digital ones are really inaccurate in high humidity.Don't fan and see if it changes.
Also try less water so you have more surface area.2 inchs is plenty.
Mine has four 1/4'' holes in the lid So I dont have to fan.I still fan once or twice a day though since I like misting the little guys.

--------------------
Spawn Ratio Calculator
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/7803673#7803673
I only grow edibles.Any info I give ONLY applies to gourmet mushrooms.

Edited by nw_shroomy (11/27/08 01:00 AM)

Offlinedead
grateful
Male User Gallery

Loc: North pole
Re: PMP HELP [Re: nw_shroomy]
    #9320856 - 11/27/08 04:41 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

It's OK to use perlite in a PMP! It's actually advised to do so. Only use geolite if you can't find perlite.

--------------------
"The third eye. You spend years doing everything you can to open it and then the damn thing opens and your friends laugh at you when you tell them you can see their souls behind their eyes burning like rainbows."

Links:
:regularshroom:Nibin's Guide for Noobs
:regularshroom:some easy teks on bulk & grain prep. (my journal)

InvisibleJ3illy
Trainee

Re: PMP HELP [Re: dead]
    #9320877 - 11/27/08 04:52 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

It seems to me the PMP was designed before perlite was popularized.  Otherwise I think it would suggest to use it - cuz it will work better for the purpose, and it's cheaper than Geolite.

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Re: PMP HELP [Re: J3illy]
    #9320964 - 11/27/08 06:03 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Is your hygrometer calibrated?

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

Invisiblenw_shroomy
NoN-stranger
 User Gallery

#9321052 - 11/27/08 07:02 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

dead said:
It's OK to use perlite in a PMP! It's actually advised to do so. Only use geolite if you can't find perlite.

Its not advised to use Perlite in a pmp.Although it might be OK too.Use Geo-lite or Hydro-ton or even small lava rock.Geo-lite,Hydro-ton can be used many times ,Perlite cant.
Heres a link to the tek.
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Number=1303334

--------------------
Spawn Ratio Calculator

Edited by nw_shroomy (11/27/08 07:08 AM)

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
    #9321074 - 11/27/08 07:11 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

that post is 5 years old. things have moved on from them. While lavarock etc can work. Perlite still performs better at humiditfying a terrarium. You can use it in a perlite, but no standing water. Just put your airstones in a cup of water.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

OfflineMightyWhite
Male
Re: PMP HELP [Re: Damion5050]
    #9321087 - 11/27/08 07:15 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Damion5050 said:
Well I made myself a pmp.. It is 15 by 12 and about 16 high..  It has 4 inches of geolite and about 3 inches of water with a 40 gallon fish tank pump and two 10 inch bubble wands in the bottom..  The problem is I can't seem to get the humidity over 90%, there are no air holes I fan every 2-3 hours.. So can any give me any advice on how to get the humidity up..

Ditch the bubble wands-get airstones,the airstones work alot better,put three 12 inch airstones in your PMP,each airstone should have its own 50 gallon air pump....if you do this,I promise you that it will stay 99% humidity constant

Invisiblenw_shroomy
NoN-stranger
 User Gallery

Re: PMP HELP [Re: veda_sticks]
    #9321105 - 11/27/08 07:27 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

veda_sticks said:
that post is 5 years old. things have moved on from them. While lavarock etc can work. Perlite still performs better at humiditfying a terrarium. You can use it in a perlite, but no standing water. Just put your airstones in a cup of water.

They have?I dont see no tek saying to use perlite in this setup.Why would someone use perlite.Its non usable.The OP says hes using the PMP which is the poor mans pod Not the shotgun terrarium that you idolize.;)

--------------------
Spawn Ratio Calculator

Offlinealkylbenzene23
Indeed
 User Gallery

#9321152 - 11/27/08 07:58 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

While it may be  OK to do so I'm going to say its not advised... there is a different principle going on here than perlite, there is a whicking effect from the stored water blow the surface, thus humidity. Perlite is mostly water from inside each kernel.

The air pump is also for air exchange and not primarily humidity. The original design (unknown to me, the company went under) likely placed the tubing under the water for a combination of increased humidity and a filtering effect on the air supply. As air bubbles pass through the water any particles get stuck to the edge of the bubble and it picks up water vapor.

Now, if you want to go by age. I would have to say that's tried and True more than old and weary. I can almost guarantee that the shotgun terrarium is more than five years old... And hasn't changed a bit.

--------------------
If you try to lick your cat while tripping, and they bite you, are you even?

Invisibleblood4blood
Calmer Than You Are

Loc: The Valley
    #9321179 - 11/27/08 08:15 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

dead said:

WTF!  where do you guys come up with this at?  Geolite is used for PMP's and perlite is used for shotgun terriums.  End of story!!!

im with nw_shroomy on this one.

Pmp's are meant to have standing water.  start reading before you post.  you guys have some thick ass skulls when it comes to anything other than the "shotgun" fc

my old pmp

OfflineMightyWhite
Male
Re: PMP HELP [Re: blood4blood]
    #9321223 - 11/27/08 08:39 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

WTF!  where do you guys come up with this at?  Geolite is used for PMP's and perlite is used for shotgun terriums.  End of story!!!

Pmp's are meant to have standing water.  start reading before you post.  you guys have some thick ass skulls when it comes to anything other than the "shotgun" fc

my old pmp

Exactly

Offlinedead
grateful
Male User Gallery

Re: PMP HELP [Re: MightyWhite]
    #9321239 - 11/27/08 08:49 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I have a PMP myself... the principle in a shotgun and a PMP is basically the same. Air flows from bottom to up, picking up water from either geolite or perlite. Only the means to achieve this are different. One uses an air pump, one uses the laws of physics or something.

I'm using geolite in my PMP but if you buy me some perlite I will prove to you it can be used in a PMP with no difficulties.

--------------------
"The third eye. You spend years doing everything you can to open it and then the damn thing opens and your friends laugh at you when you tell them you can see their souls behind their eyes burning like rainbows."

Links:

Invisibleblood4blood
Calmer Than You Are

Loc: The Valley
    #9321263 - 11/27/08 08:56 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

good luck getting perlite to stay submerged in the water.  pmp's use water. like i said earlier.

if yor using perlite with no standing water and bubblestones beneath it it's just a shotgun fc with bubblestones.

Invisiblenw_shroomy
NoN-stranger
 User Gallery

#9321514 - 11/27/08 10:21 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

dead said:
I will prove to you it can be used in a PMP with no difficulties.

You will prove that you have a tub with perlite in it..It still wont be a PMP which is what the original OP's question pertains to.
Quote:

blood4blood  said:
WTF!  where do you guys come up with this at?

They read other Ppls posts and take it as Gospel and repost it without any experience in whether its right or not.

--------------------
Spawn Ratio Calculator

OfflineBoris
Viking Warrior, of Valour
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: TX. Flag
    #9321558 - 11/27/08 10:35 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

You don't have to fill the water level up past the perlight level... and nw_shroomy, you make it sound like perlight is like a one time use thing. Its a crystalline product, a mineral. It doesn't degrade ez... I've used mine many many many times over and over. Perlight trumps geo. Yes the guy that originally thought of a PMP used Geo, that doesn't mean better ideas can't/wouldn't be implemented over a span of 5 years. Replacing the Geo w/ perlight would only benefit for RH. ...and yes, we know its not a shotty...

--------------------
AMU

Terence McKenna Said:
"We have to create culture, don't watch TV, don't read magazines, don't even listen to NPR. Create your own roadshow. The nexus of space and time where you are now is the most immediate sector of your universe, and if you're worrying about Michael Jackson or Bill Clinton or somebody else, then you are disempowered, you're giving it all away to icons, icons which are maintained by an electronic media so that you want to dress like X or have lips like Y. This is shit-brained, this kind of thinking. That is all cultural diversion, and what is real is you and your friends and your associations, your highs, your orgasms, your hopes, your plans, your fears. And we are told 'no', we're unimportant, we're peripheral. 'Get a degree, get a job, get a this, get a that.' And then you're a player, you don't want to even play in that game. You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that's being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world."

Invisiblenw_shroomy
NoN-stranger
 User Gallery

Re: PMP HELP [Re: Boris]
    #9321614 - 11/27/08 10:52 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Boris said:
You don't have to fill the water level up past the perlight level... and nw_shroomy, you make it sound like perlight is like a one time use thing. Its a crystalline product, a mineral. It doesn't degrade ez... I've used mine many many many times over and over. Perlight trumps geo. Yes the guy that originally thought of a PMP used Geo, that doesn't mean better ideas can't/wouldn't be implemented over a span of 5 years. Replacing the Geo w/ perlight would only benefit for RH. ...and yes, we know its not a shotty...

How do you clean it once you get spores all over it as I see you let your shrooms open all the way?How do you dry it for storage in between grows?:confused:
Perlite Doesnt trump geolite in a PMP setup.:crazy2:
If you can point out a TEK that has replaced the PMP with perlite Because its more better in a PMP than geolite then Ill be the first to shut up.

--------------------
Spawn Ratio Calculator

Offlinedead
grateful
Male User Gallery

#9321898 - 11/27/08 12:12 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

How do you dry it for storage in between grows?:confused:

Storage between grows???
I'm sorry but my FC is never idle.

Quote:

If you can point out a TEK

You need a TEK for everything? What ever happened to innovation?

--------------------

Links:

InvisibleServator
Viral Agent

#9321968 - 11/27/08 12:27 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

If you can point out a TEK

You need a TEK for everything? What ever happened to innovation?

Innovation dies the moment one clever mind attempts to enlighten the mindless masses.

TEK's are marvelous sticks, in the hands of monkeys. But lamentably, only one out of a million in them will ever stop throwing his own turds and attempt to start walking like a man, under his own power...

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom