Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleveggieM

'Meth lab' turns out to be scientist's apartment [CA]
    #9313078 - 11/25/08 07:45 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Alleged San Pedro 'meth lab' turns out to be scientist's apartment
November 24, 2008 - ContraCostaTimes.com

Residents of a large housing complex in San Pedro were forced to evacuate Monday evening after firefighters discovered what they believed to be was a methamphetamine lab in one of the units.

It turned out to be a scientist's apartment and wasn't a lab.

Firefighters found chemicals they believed were suspicious while responding to a flooding call shortly before 4 p.m. at the Casa Verde Estates complex in the 28000 block of Western Avenue.

Police said they responded, suspected they had discovered a drug lab and called out the bomb squad to examine what appeared to be an explosive device. Firefighters said that turned out to be inert.

The whole event created a mess. Northbound Western Avenue was closed to traffic, causing a backup into San Pedro. The southbound lanes remained open, but traffic was still snarled.

Residents of 68 units were evacuated to the neighboring Garden Village shopping center parking lot, while some tenants were told to stay inside. Others who were arriving after work couldn't enter their units.

"We can't go into our apartments?" asked Carol Smith, one of about 30 people standing outside.

Rudy Carruolo arrived home from work and was not allowed in. His wife, Janelle, remained inside their home.

"My wife's in there and she can't come out, and I can't get in," Carruolo said.

By 7:30 p.m., dozens of people remained in the parking lot. The investigation continued until about 9:30 p.m.

Employees at the nearby Albertsons brought out bananas and bottles of water to residents who milled about, talking and waiting for word on when they could go home.

Neighbors said residents of the unit in question often had loud parties and people were constantly coming and going.

Firefighters said later that a scientist lived in the unit and he could not be located.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleGreen_T
 User Gallery

Loc: UK Flag
Re: 'Meth lab' turns out to be scientist's apartment [CA] [Re: veggie]
    #9313271 - 11/25/08 08:12 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

:rofl2:

"Get your hands off my glassware! Im using it for legal purposes!"

Still, wtf was he doing with a lab in his house? making aspirin?

--------------------

"I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man" - Thomas Jefferson

Legalize Meth | Drug War Victims

OfflineChemy
Jesus is Lord
Loc: A Church
Re: 'Meth lab' turns out to be scientist's apartment [CA] [Re: Green_T]
    #9313503 - 11/25/08 08:42 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

green_titan said:
Quote:

:rofl2:

"Get your hands off my glassware! Im using it for legal purposes!"

Still, wtf was he doing with a lab in his house? making aspirin?

There are thousands if not hundreds of thousands of law abiding citizens that are sincerely interested in studying chemistry that have labs in their house and have never even thought once about making an illegal drug or bomb.

A friend of mine from college has a lab in his house and he tweaks formulas for off brand perfumes and colognes, I don't think he's ever even tried weed:shrug:

I am sure that there are much more dangerous chemicals under your kitchen sink than there are in his lab also.

InvisibleGreen_T
 User Gallery

Loc: UK Flag
Re: 'Meth lab' turns out to be scientist's apartment [CA] [Re: Chemy]
    #9313552 - 11/25/08 08:50 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Wow, that post looks way more sarcastic than I intended. To some scientists having a lab is akin to having a study, a place for learning and discovery :shrug:

Its kind of sad that seeing glassware and such is immediately akin to "illegal" purposes in the eyes of citizens and the law.

If chemicals weren't so regulated we could probably have some pretty sweet shit invented by people in their off-time, working on their own agenda rather than their company's.

--------------------

"I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man" - Thomas Jefferson

Legalize Meth | Drug War Victims

Offlinetodesengel
the chinese chicken

#9313614 - 11/25/08 08:58 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Another case of, lets try and stop what could be, when they should deal with what is.

OfflineChemy
Jesus is Lord
Loc: A Church
    #9313657 - 11/25/08 09:05 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Tell me about it.

The vast majority of people in our society are afraid of any type of science (or things they don't understand), and the mere sight of a spectrum labs silicon dioxide reagent grade label on a glass bottle would send them running into a cave.

A small group of drug addicted idiots with no scientific background have inadvertently created a stereotype of scientific minded individuals that have no interest in anything illegal, harmful or immoral (by anyones standpoint).

My recommendation of a solution is to make chemistry a requirement in high school and most importantly for police, firefighters and EMT's.

Invisibletravelleler
a horse-fart in a hurricane
 User Gallery

Loc: yonder mountains
    #9314016 - 11/25/08 10:00 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

My recommendation of a solution is to make chemistry a requirement in high school and most importantly for police, firefighters and EMT's.

here-here, I concur.

--------------------

"Whales have deep thoughts"

:sun:Dreams are the fuel of the soul:sun:

:peace:

InvisibleBrainiac
Rogue Scientist
Male

Loc: 與您的女朋 Flag
    #9314018 - 11/25/08 10:00 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Alot of lab ware can be used in cooking...

--------------------
:Awesketch:

:cool: Fair is Fair :devil:

InvisibleTheShroomJew23
The Chemist
Male

Loc: Temple
Re: 'Meth lab' turns out to be scientist's apartment [CA] [Re: Brainiac]
    #9314111 - 11/25/08 10:17 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I have a lab in my apartment that has never been used for illegal purposes. I work on cellulosic sugars and how I can raise their compatability with other bacterial that break them down naturally. I did have to have it inspected by the police and fire dept., also I am allowed to be searched at anytime and haveto report and sales of my chemicals or products. They can only search my lab though and if I am home.

--------------------

You will be missed

InvisiblelIllIIIllIlIIlIlIIllIllIIl
Stranger

Loc: Texas
Re: 'Meth lab' turns out to be scientist's apartment [CA] [Re: Brainiac]
    #9314258 - 11/25/08 10:42 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Brainiac said:
Alot of lab ware can be used in cooking...

Not if you have an induction stove.

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Re: 'Meth lab' turns out to be scientist's apartment [CA] [Re: TheShroomJew23]
    #9316748 - 11/26/08 01:01 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

I have a lab in my apartment that has never been used for illegal purposes. I work on cellulosic sugars and how I can raise their compatability with other bacterial that break them down naturally. I did have to have it inspected by the police and fire dept., also I am allowed to be searched at anytime and haveto report and sales of my chemicals or products. They can only search my lab though and if I am home.

Cool, did you have to get some type of license to have the lab?  How did the inspection thing come about?  Are you concerned that they could want to inspect the lab when your friends are smoking a joint in the living room?  Or in the middle of a big mushroom party?

My house has two labs, an electronics lab and a mycology lab. 

Growing up, from age 10 - 15 I had a pretty big chem lab in my parents basement it had several hundred chemicals and quite a bit of glassware.  I am surprised it was never raided.  My parents always said that there was a good chance that if someone looked through my basement windows they would call it in as a meth lab, looking back I definitely agree.

OfflineRealnuggetz
Just a friend of the family
Male User Gallery

Loc: SF/NYC biCoastal
Re: 'Meth lab' turns out to be scientist's apartment [CA] [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #9316827 - 11/26/08 01:15 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Alan Rockefeller said:
Quote:

Cool, did you have to get some type of license to have the lab?  How did the inspection thing come about?  Are you concerned that they could want to inspect the lab when your friends are smoking a joint in the living room?  Or in the middle of a big mushroom party?

My house has two labs, an electronics lab and a mycology lab. 

Growing up, from age 10 - 15 I had a pretty big chem lab in my parents basement it had several hundred chemicals and quite a bit of glassware.  I am surprised it was never raided.  My parents always said that there was a good chance that if someone looked through my basement windows they would call it in as a meth lab, looking back I definitely agree.

I also am interested in knowing how the inspection came about. Did you call and ask if it was ok? Or did they try to "bust" you somehow.

--------------------
Nothin left to do but smile smile smile

InvisibleTheShroomJew23
The Chemist
Male

Loc: Temple
Re: 'Meth lab' turns out to be scientist's apartment [CA] [Re: Realnuggetz]
    #9318718 - 11/26/08 07:13 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

It came about because my father's best friend is a detective in my area and he came up to me one day and was the, "the narcotics task force has been told that you might have some type of drug lab in your house and is planning on busting you". So I told him everything and he already knows im an organic chemist and that it was my lab equip. so he set up zoning changes and had it inspected and everything. I forgot to mention that I live in the same city as my parents but they live in florida and have like left me the house if I want it. So thats where everything legal is, the majority of my hydro research and myco research is there along with this lab that has a flow hood and closed air system, its pretty sweet. I got a grant from my high school when I graduated for all the work I did in building a green house and lab there so when I was in college close to graduation they called me up asking to speak and offered me this grant. The lab from start to finish cost 25,000 I believe, my lab cost like 5,000. All the not so legal stuff is at where I actually live because for one I wont eat or smoke anything from out of the house due to all the chems I work with and just I am not taking the chance. My lastest research yielded anatural dye based out of a percipatate from MG plants. It was really an accident but it is like the holy grail if I can figure out how to neturalize the final mixture because it has a pH of 3 and breaks down when I try to basify. I do mostly ag research though if anyone has questions.

--------------------

You will be missed

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies