Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Boomr Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibletony8404
Stranger
 User Gallery

need advice on using either coco coir or jiffy mix?
    #9317192 - 11/26/08 02:37 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

okay i have some trays with rye berries and worm casings that have been incubating for 3 days and the mycelium is flourishing...

the next step is the top layer. i have to use either jiffy mix or coco coir... not sure which would be better to use.... i heard coco coir contams more.. and jiffy mix i do not think i can use straight out the bag i think i have to sterilize it... any help???

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibledoze
Stranger

Re: need advice on using either coco coir or jiffy mix? [Re: tony8404]
    #9317207 - 11/26/08 02:40 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

dont use coir as a casing layer. it is nutritous and can contam easier. use a 50/50  peatmoss and vermiculite or  if you were going to use the jiffy mix pasteurize it for an hour at 160 degrees.

--------------------
But I'll bounce back for mine is a heart made of iron forged in the darkest smithy of despair! Alloyed with hate and melancholy! corroded by anger! oxidized by fury!

Invisibletony8404
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: need advice on using either coco coir or jiffy mix? [Re: doze]
    #9317222 - 11/26/08 02:43 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

cool info.. what if i dont pasturize it but what if i load it into jars and pc them?  if not good idea how do i pasturized it? thanks

Invisibledoze
Stranger

#9317241 - 11/26/08 02:49 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

you could pressure cook it but i always liked to pasteurize my casing layer when i grew. some ppl just use it straight out of the bag but i liked to pasteurize just to be sure.

get some pots of water going on the stove and put your jiffy mix in a canvas shopping bag or a pillow case. when it start boiling, turn off the heat and wait about 15 minutes. then pour this over the jiffy mix in a bucket (i like a cooler) or something similar and let it sit for an hour, squeeze to get it at field capacity and let cool before applying.

--------------------
But I'll bounce back for mine is a heart made of iron forged in the darkest smithy of despair! Alloyed with hate and melancholy! corroded by anger! oxidized by fury!

OfflineMHbound
Ballin Out At All Cost
Male

Loc: Under The Rainbow
    #9317276 - 11/26/08 02:55 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Casing??? Or bulk substrate?

--------------------

Invisibletony8404
Stranger
 User Gallery

#9317282 - 11/26/08 02:56 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

so you mean to boil some water once it boils turn off gas and then pour into bucket with jiffy mix in the pillow case and let sit for 15 minutes

Invisibledoze
Stranger

Re: need advice on using either coco coir or jiffy mix? [Re: MHbound]
    #9317284 - 11/26/08 02:56 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

i assumed it was the casing since he said top layer.

--------------------

Invisibledoze
Stranger

#9317298 - 11/26/08 02:58 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

no let the boiling water sit on the stove with the heat off to cool it down a little.

you dont want boiling water or else it semi-sterilizes it.

--------------------

Invisibletony8404
Stranger
 User Gallery

#9317340 - 11/26/08 03:05 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

okay let me explain/..... i took my substrate wbich was rye berries and it colonized fully... i then took that and mix 1lb of worm casings to each 1 quart mason jar of rye berries... waited three days and mycelium poked through..... so now i have to add the top layer which i will use jiffy mix...  so if i take the jiffy mix and put into the pillow case... then let a pot of water boil and wait 15 minutes till i add that to the pot that the pillow case is in once thats is done i wait another 15 minutes and i am done?

Invisibledoze
Stranger

#9317358 - 11/26/08 03:08 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

wait 1 hour then let cool, then your done.

--------------------

Invisibletony8404
Stranger
 User Gallery

#9317378 - 11/26/08 03:11 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

lol.. okay so when you say wait 1 hour then let cool then i am done... do you mean i boil the water and once its boiled i turn off gas and wait an hour then add the water>? or do i boil and once boiled turn gas off let it cool off 15 minutes and then add to the pillow case thats in another pot and add the water and let sit for an hour?

Invisibletony8404
Stranger
 User Gallery

#9317387 - 11/26/08 03:13 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

also, do i add water to the jiffy mix before i place in the pillow case?

OfflineBoris
Viking Warrior, of Valour
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: TX. Flag
    #9317432 - 11/26/08 03:21 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

:offtopicman: :sorry:

How do you have nearly 1k post, registered like 3 years ago, and still be this noobie ? :shrug:

:1up::regularshroom::poison:

To make things WAY ezer for your behalf, Cubes don't, "Need" a casing... Some trusted cultivators even think that they do better without...

--------------------
AMU

Terence McKenna Said:
"We have to create culture, don't watch TV, don't read magazines, don't even listen to NPR. Create your own roadshow. The nexus of space and time where you are now is the most immediate sector of your universe, and if you're worrying about Michael Jackson or Bill Clinton or somebody else, then you are disempowered, you're giving it all away to icons, icons which are maintained by an electronic media so that you want to dress like X or have lips like Y. This is shit-brained, this kind of thinking. That is all cultural diversion, and what is real is you and your friends and your associations, your highs, your orgasms, your hopes, your plans, your fears. And we are told 'no', we're unimportant, we're peripheral. 'Get a degree, get a job, get a this, get a that.' And then you're a player, you don't want to even play in that game. You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that's being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world."

Edited by Boris (11/26/08 03:22 PM)

Invisibledoze
Stranger

#9317452 - 11/26/08 03:24 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

gggrrrr....

take water.
boil water.
let water cool a little (just so it isn't boiling.)
put jiffy mix in pillow case.
get bucket.
put jiffy mix/ pillowcase in bucket.
pour water in bucket and let sit for an hour.
take jiffy mix out and squeeze to get at field capacity.
let cool.
apply as a casing layer.

--------------------

Invisibledoze
Stranger

#9317461 - 11/26/08 03:25 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

yes but he is using grain. grain needs a casing layer because it doesn't fruit well on its own.

--------------------

OfflineBoris
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9317529 - 11/26/08 03:38 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Worm casing is a bulk sub.

--------------------
AMU

Terence McKenna Said:
"We have to create culture, don't watch TV, don't read magazines, don't even listen to NPR. Create your own roadshow. The nexus of space and time where you are now is the most immediate sector of your universe, and if you're worrying about Michael Jackson or Bill Clinton or somebody else, then you are disempowered, you're giving it all away to icons, icons which are maintained by an electronic media so that you want to dress like X or have lips like Y. This is shit-brained, this kind of thinking. That is all cultural diversion, and what is real is you and your friends and your associations, your highs, your orgasms, your hopes, your plans, your fears. And we are told 'no', we're unimportant, we're peripheral. 'Get a degree, get a job, get a this, get a that.' And then you're a player, you don't want to even play in that game. You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that's being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world."

Invisibledoze
Stranger

Re: need advice on using either coco coir or jiffy mix? [Re: Boris]
    #9317569 - 11/26/08 03:44 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

aahh didnt see that he was using worm castings with it.

--------------------

Invisibletony8404
Stranger
 User Gallery

#9317603 - 11/26/08 03:51 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

i never stick with the same method... thats why i am asking questions, i notice things when i did my last grow that i did not experience with my last grow before that. i compared to myself what i had done differently and seen hardly anything different.

so i thought to ask about the coco coir or the jiffy... i have always used jiffy, i was not sure of the coco coir. hence 1k posts, who says you have to learn over night ? you really think three years is enough to master this hobby? i was always told to respect your elders....

sorry if
I did not know i was in the pressence of a god... how dare i try to educate myself in front of thee all mights himself...

i jumped right into this hobby i did not start out slow but then i learned to slow the F down.... i would suggest the same to you my friendl. if anything is worht doing, then doing it right to me seems common sense

OfflineBoris
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9317728 - 11/26/08 04:11 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Blah blah blah blah, you lost me... Didn't say I was the master, cause I learn something new just about every day on the topic of mycology, and still strive in learning more... Al-tho I'm in a VERY comfortable spot in this hobby, and basically know all I need to get by generously. I might add that I got into this hobby for the first time about 4 months ago... it just baffled me that some one of your Age (Sight age) would still be asking such elementary questions. Didn't mean to come off as a dick, :sorry:

--------------------
AMU

Terence McKenna Said:

Invisibletony8404
Stranger
 User Gallery

#9317788 - 11/26/08 04:22 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

well you said it in your A: Patience is not only a virtue but a necessity for a happy exisitience.

Then do not be a dick, because to me you most certainly did.

but yet i do not want to go to a low level or even argue, cause if i did want that,    then i would go and talk to my girl..... so dont worry man about apaologies and what not i just want to learn.. lol

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Boomr Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds