Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinenicuss
Boletivoruseuropaeus
Male
Help ID cauliflower
    #929529 - 10/03/02 08:05 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Heya, just stumbled today over what looks like the cauliflower mushroom (sparassis crispa). Found it on the side of the road, about 2-3 feet from pavement right at the base of a large tree (non-conifer). Saw it from the car at night.

What troubles me is that every single picture I've seen of it online and in my books shows it white/cream. The one I got is white on the underside of the leaves and plain gray on the upper side. The size of the whole thing is about that of a large cauliflower, and it looks just like any other sparassis except for collor.

So what could it be? Maybe a contaminated sparassis due to being so close to the pavement? Or just a very old specimen? Should I try to cook it?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Loc: The Matrix
Re: Help ID cauliflower [Re: nicuss]
    #929773 - 10/03/02 09:24 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

This is a pic of a specimen I found. I thought the flesh when broken had a peppery smell to it. The flesh should feel like rubber. When a large vein is broken, there should be creamy textured flesh inside.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Great books for inquiring minds!

"Life After Death is Saprophytic!"

Offlineviscid
dikaryon
I'm a teapot

Loc: the mycological center of...
    #929881 - 10/03/02 09:53 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

http://www.bioimages.org.uk/HTML/R30595.HTM
is this it? look at all the pics.
shit, i cant remember the other name, where are you anyways, that makes a diff too.
not like this, tho:http://www.semarnat.gob.mx/pfnm2/fichas/sparassis_radicata.htm
right?
i cant think. for some reason i keep thinkin bondarzewia montana, but oi cant seem to spell it right.
hmmmmmm.

--------------------
You do not know me.

You can't see me.

Offlinenicuss
Boletivoruseuropaeus
Male
    #929883 - 10/03/02 09:53 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Dang it, I'm just dumb. What I have is not cauliflower but the hen of the woods, Grifola frondosa.

Offlineviscid
dikaryon
I'm a teapot

Loc: the mycological center of...
    #930035 - 10/03/02 10:30 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

those things are awesome.
i mean deliscious and biologically active to boot. immune enhancement, tumor suppression, all good stuff. at one time a high price was paid for those things (i heard 1000 $ a dried pound in 1995) but everybody's growing em now. they cost 15 bucks a pound in the stores out here, cultivated.
they dont grow on the west coast, fer as i know. enjoy them, and go back next year, they fruit in the same polace for a long time.
seriously, theres nothing to confuse em with, really, you should enjoy that shit, it's really good food http://www.njmyco.org/recipes.htm
make sure it wasn't meripileus, which is tuff, but edible when young. the meripileus bruises black alot and fairly quickly. http://www.mushroomcouncil.com/varieties/maitake.html
you're lucky!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
You do not know me.

You can't see me.

Offlinenicuss
Boletivoruseuropaeus
Male
Re: Help ID cauliflower [Re: viscid]
    #932869 - 10/04/02 07:01 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Heh, I think at least a thousand people walked, biked, or drove slowly right by it before I got it. It was right on the side of a university campus road leading to a large residential complex. In full plain sight, I noticed it from the car at night, without even looking for mushes... I guess some people just don't know what they're missing  :cool: 

OfflineUnity333
addict
 User Gallery

#934392 - 10/05/02 11:43 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

yummy, really yummy.....

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals