Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineLightShedder
Trading currencies
 User Gallery

Loc: AustinDenverLA
Re: coco husk vs coir?? [Re: anakin3197]
    #9293878 - 11/22/08 07:53 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

To be honest those jars look like they could have bacteria in them. It looks like there is a fine smooth line on the edge of the mycelium. It should be reaching out around the grain in different-length "arms" in a way. I don't know if that makes sense but if those jars end up fully colonizing in a day or 2 (which is what it should be if they are good) then you should give them a good smell after you open them up and make sure it smells like fresh mushrooms.

The pics could just be blurry so it's hard to tell for sure. Have they been almost colonized about like that for longer then 2-3 days?

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLightShedder
Trading currencies
 User Gallery

Loc: AustinDenverLA
    #9293882 - 11/22/08 07:54 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I like to mix the coir with a little horse dung and then paseurize them both but if you use coir alone then all you have to do is hydrate with steaming hot ass water for about an hour.

--------------------

OfflineThe shroomy 1
Luminous beings surround me
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Aether
Trusted Cultivator
    #9294192 - 11/22/08 08:56 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

anakin3197 said:
so all ill do, is sat the husks, and mix up the two together, put in pan, let colonize, correct?

Yea, Usually 1 gallon of water per brick.  Boil in a large pot and drop the brick in.  Cover the pot and let it do it's thing for about 2-3 hours.  It only takes 30 minutes to hydrate, but it's way toooooo hot to handle.  When it's cooled to the point that you can handle it, (put your gloves on), you can start manually breaking it down to the desired consistency.  From there you can do whatever you want with it. I usually bag it up and let it cool down to room temperature before I introduce the spawn. Put it in your pans and cover with foil.  Poke about 5 holes with a pen and let fully colonize.

The Shroomy 1

--------------------

AMU Q&A thread.

Offlinedead
grateful
Male User Gallery

Loc: North pole
Re: coco husk vs coir?? [Re: The shroomy 1]
    #9294236 - 11/22/08 09:10 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Poke about 5 holes with a pen and let fully colonize.

And cover those holes with micropore

--------------------
"The third eye. You spend years doing everything you can to open it and then the damn thing opens and your friends laugh at you when you tell them you can see their souls behind their eyes burning like rainbows."

Links:
:regularshroom:Nibin's Guide for Noobs
:regularshroom:some easy teks on bulk & grain prep. (my journal)

OfflineThe shroomy 1
Luminous beings surround me
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Aether
Trusted Cultivator
Re: coco husk vs coir?? [Re: LightShedder]
    #9294452 - 11/22/08 10:14 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

LightShedder said:
To be honest those jars look like they could have bacteria in them. It looks like there is a fine smooth line on the edge of the mycelium. It should be reaching out around the grain in different-length "arms" in a way. I don't know if that makes sense but if those jars end up fully colonizing in a day or 2 (which is what it should be if they are good) then you should give them a good smell after you open them up and make sure it smells like fresh mushrooms.

The pics could just be blurry so it's hard to tell for sure. Have they been almost colonized about like that for longer then 2-3 days?

You must have a far better eye than I do!  I've sat there and stared at those pictures and they look "Golden" to me.  I do agree with you however that he should smell nothing but "Mushroom Goodness" when he is about to spawn.

The Shroomy 1

--------------------

AMU Q&A thread.

Offlineanakin3197
JEDI MASTER
 User Gallery

Re: coco husk vs coir?? [Re: The shroomy 1]
    #9294502 - 11/22/08 10:22 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

thanks for checkn them out, great help

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

Loc: The North
    #9295321 - 11/23/08 01:12 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Coir is the coco husks ground into a fine dirt. Coco husks look more like wood chips and are used similar to them in landscaping.

I had a similar experience to the shroomy 1. The texture of husks is much better while the pulpy coir isn't airy enough. A good tip is to go and look at a garden center, sometimes they have the same product. "Soil block" or "Mulch block" are the names I've seen. Usually you will get it at garden centers in large blocks for pennies on the dollar. Also I've heard that some of the pet varieties are salted to prevent them from contaminating, the soil/mulch blocks won't have this attribute as it would defeat their purpose.

--------------------
"Have you ever seen what happens when a grenade goes off in a school? Do you really know what you’re doing when you order shock and awe? Are you prepared to kneel beside a dying soldier and tell him why he went to Iraq, or why he went to any war?"
"The things that are done in the name of the shareholder are, to me, as terrifying as the things that are done—dare I say it—in the name of God. Montesquieu said, "There have never been so many civil wars as in the Kingdom of God." And I begin to feel that’s true. The shareholder is the excuse for everything."
- Author and former M6/M5 agent John le Carré on Democracy Now.
Conquer's Club

Offlineanakin3197
JEDI MASTER
 User Gallery

Re: coco husk vs coir?? [Re: ScavengerType]
    #9295347 - 11/23/08 01:16 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

i didnt think they would have myc arms, but be similar to rye, with the clumps instead of arms. i could be wrong, since this is my first grow using wbs or rye

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract