Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineTheBandit
Infidel
Male

College....are you always broke?
    #9288434 - 11/21/08 09:31 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

is that how that works out? cause im starting college (psych major) in january, and am getting booted out the 'rents place. am i just gonna be constantly broke or how does that work out?
is it time to bust out the mycology skills again or what?

--------------------

[quote]RogerRabbit said:
Ah, that explains it.  Typical know-it-all noob.  We get a few thousand just like you register here every year.  They try a few grows, fail miserably and then after a few months or one bad trip, go back to sniffing glue, never to be seen again.

We have a basic pf tek that's idiot proof enough for noobs to get fucked up with their friends. 

Mycologists on the other hand grow for the love of growing.  They want to experiment with various species, substrates, and fruiting environments. They'll move on to isolate strains, attempt hybridization, and in general treat cultivation as an artform, rather than a chore that must be performed as a means to an end.  They'll work twice as hard for a ten percent gain, just for the love of perfection.  These are the ones who will isolate strains, not the dumb fucks who treat mushrooms as a drug, or even worse, a pathogen, as if mushrooms cause disease.
RR [/quote]

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineShroomieGirl
What are these god damn animals
Female User Gallery

Re: College....are you always broke? [Re: TheBandit]
    #9288439 - 11/21/08 09:33 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

yes, youll be broke for 4+ long years... youll get used to it

--------------------
:bouncysmoke:

I'm ok, really.

OfflineTheBandit
Infidel
Male

Re: College....are you always broke? [Re: ShroomieGirl]
    #9288446 - 11/21/08 09:34 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

damn. i was thinking about getting my masters...maybe even doctorates. so minimum of 6 years being broke.

do you ever have any extra money for yourself? like...to buy cool shit?

--------------------

[quote]RogerRabbit said:
Ah, that explains it.  Typical know-it-all noob.  We get a few thousand just like you register here every year.  They try a few grows, fail miserably and then after a few months or one bad trip, go back to sniffing glue, never to be seen again.

We have a basic pf tek that's idiot proof enough for noobs to get fucked up with their friends. 

Mycologists on the other hand grow for the love of growing.  They want to experiment with various species, substrates, and fruiting environments. They'll move on to isolate strains, attempt hybridization, and in general treat cultivation as an artform, rather than a chore that must be performed as a means to an end.  They'll work twice as hard for a ten percent gain, just for the love of perfection.  These are the ones who will isolate strains, not the dumb fucks who treat mushrooms as a drug, or even worse, a pathogen, as if mushrooms cause disease.
RR [/quote]

InvisibleMankey
Male

#9288460 - 11/21/08 09:36 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

You'll be constantly broke except around your birthday and holidays if you have generous relatives. If you bust out the mycology skills and get caught somehow you might find yourself broke for more than 4 years. Just tough it out. You'll be that much more grateful after you get started with your career.

OfflineShroomieGirl
What are these god damn animals
Female User Gallery

Re: College....are you always broke? [Re: Mankey]
    #9288464 - 11/21/08 09:37 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

yea, what that guy said...

--------------------
:bouncysmoke:

I'm ok, really.

OfflineTheBandit
Infidel
Male

#9288469 - 11/21/08 09:38 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

its just sssoooo long. 6 years...and then all that debt to pay back. thats gonna suck so bad. is it even worth it?

--------------------

[quote]RogerRabbit said:

RR [/quote]

Offlinegreystealth
Corrupt Cop

#9288500 - 11/21/08 09:43 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

It depends on a bunch of things:
A)Whether you are getting a student loan
B)If your parents are going to give you a monthly allowance/pay for rent
C)If you are going to take up a part-time job(legal or illegal)
D)If you are going to max out your credit cards on buying "cool stuff" without having any plans on paying it back.
E)If you are going to apply for financial aid
F)How much you spend on food and necessities- I know some students who blow $80 on sushi on Friday nights, and others who fill up on top ramen/frozen foods.

totally depends on your situation. But generally, students are broke until they get their degree and start making the money they deserve.

--------------------

InvisibleMankey
Male

#9288504 - 11/21/08 09:44 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

6 years to get a degree working in a field you're (hopefully) genuinely interested in or working jobs with terrible turnover and layoffs until you decide you should have finished college? You tell me.

Offlineshroomhelp13
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #9288512 - 11/21/08 09:45 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

my friend jus started college and he been focusing on mycology just to fix that problem. he got no time for a legit job cuz i get to much h.w and would never maintain both at the same time.

Invisiblemofo
Hobby Jingoist

Loc: Donkey Kong Kill Screen
    #9288515 - 11/21/08 09:46 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Its worth it if its what you want to do.  Are you inspired by your major?  Don't worry about being broke, the best things in life are not only free, but can't be bought anyway.

Offlineanyone420
mad buddah abuser
 User Gallery

#9288529 - 11/21/08 09:47 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

i have money for things i need, but i have good income of my own, and live frugally. 

you will have enough money if you spend wisely, and make cash on the side, or supply your own recreation.

--------------------
for all y’all niggaz out there that be puffin shit
when the music go on, y’all listen to this alright

Offlinegreystealth
Corrupt Cop

#9288535 - 11/21/08 09:48 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

TheBandit said:
its just sssoooo long. 6 years...and then all that debt to pay back. thats gonna suck so bad. is it even worth it?

Unless you're an expert salesman already, or you truly luck out and score a job paying at least $16-18 an hour(uncommon), then you should definitely at least get a Bachelors degree.

You can worry about your Masters/Doctorate after you graduate. If you want to prepare for a science career, take a science major. If you want to prepare for a Masters in Business Administration, take a Business or Economic-related major, so you'll feel well prepared when it comes to your GMAT or MCAT.

College is difficult and requires a lot of endurance, but once you get your degree- your future job stability is much more secure, and your expected income sky-rockets compared to not having a degree.

For the long-term a college degree is *extremely valuable*. Without a degree, you will have to work full-time and possibly overtime for the rest of your life, and will have little room to take breaks and vacation, not to mention progress.

But it can be done, you can still climb up the ranks and become a Manager, without a degree. It just takes a hell of a lot of work/dedication.

--------------------

InvisibleGreen_T
 User Gallery

Loc: UK Flag
    #9288573 - 11/21/08 09:54 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

My advice to you if you want to save money in college:
1) Learn how to cook healthy and efficiently. You'd be amazed at how much money you can save this way.
2) Avoid hanging out with rich people who always buy shit, if you can't afford to keep up. I know people who would eat out 2 times a day, and I wouldn't be a part of it.
3) Don't fall in to the latest fads - buy only what you need, and what you can keep for a long time
4) Remember you will one day have to move and possibly throw out all the shit you buy.
5) Get a part time job and pay off parts of your debt as quickly as possible. Learn how to save.
6) Try to formulate a plan for what to do after college when you are in college so you can transition straight into the workforce (unlike me:()
7) Spend money on experiences, not objects, because they will stay with you longer.
8) Buy all your books second hand, and try to buy them before everyone else does.

Most people in college don't know how to spend money properly so that is why they are always broke. Hopefully you won't get in a tight spot :smile:

--------------------

"I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man" - Thomas Jefferson

Legalize Meth | Drug War Victims

OfflineTheBandit
Infidel
Male

#9288579 - 11/21/08 09:54 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

i would like to be a psychiatrist, but thats 6 years for my masters in psych and 4 years med school. thats TOO much.
so i was thinking to just get my bachelors in psych, and work in a place thats psychology related while i earn my masters degree, then open my own clinic or something...and finally get my doctorates, or go to med school.

i dont mind ramen, and will definitely get back into mycology.

--------------------

[quote]RogerRabbit said:

RR [/quote]

InvisibleGreen_T
 User Gallery

#9288594 - 11/21/08 09:56 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

6 years for masters and then 4 for med school? I thought it was 4 for bachelors and then 4 for med school + 1 for residency. You dont need a masters or a PhD to get into medschool...

--------------------

"I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man" - Thomas Jefferson

OfflineTheBandit
Infidel
Male

Re: College....are you always broke? [Re: Green_T]
    #9288611 - 11/21/08 09:58 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

to be a psychiatrist i thought you needed masters in psych and 4 med school years.
it might just be 4 and 4 though.

either way
thats a llloonnnngggg time.

..im definitely bustin out the blue thumb.

--------------------

[quote]RogerRabbit said:

RR [/quote]

Offlinegreystealth
Corrupt Cop

#9288619 - 11/21/08 09:59 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Thats a good idear bandit:

once you have your degree, work a couple years, pay off any debt you currently have, and then take another loan and get back into med school.

Moving back with your folks during this process, would save you a TON of money.

--------------------

InvisibleGreen_T
 User Gallery

#9288632 - 11/21/08 10:01 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

no, i think you are confusing a psychologist with a psychiatrist. Psychologists do masters and maybe PhD after their undergrad, but med school (psychiatrists) is just an MD after undergrad. in med school you aren't focused on psychiatry either, you hafta learn all kinds of shit.

EDIT: Med schools generally like people who have had 1 or 2 years of work experience because they tend to do better in med school.

--------------------

OfflineZiplok
Stranger
 User Gallery

#9288655 - 11/21/08 10:04 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Baking soda+ cocaine = $$$$

Offlinesmac1009
Thugget

#9288660 - 11/21/08 10:06 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

If you're planning on med school be aware of how competitive they can get. I read somewhere that only 25% of applicants get in. You'll be needing to take a lot of pre reqs during your undergrad too. Generally this includes:

1 year bio w/labs
1 year gen. chem w/labs
1 year physics w/labs
1 year organic chem w/labs
1 year writing
1 year math.

Good luck.

--------------------

OfflineTheBandit
Infidel
Male

Re: College....are you always broke? [Re: smac1009]
    #9288734 - 11/21/08 10:16 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

fuck that. psychology ftw.

i can see psychologist + blue thumb = enuff cash 2 b a balla.

--------------------

[quote]RogerRabbit said:

RR [/quote]

OfflineCoaster
BaĘżal
Male User Gallery

Loc: Deep in the Valley
    #9288738 - 11/21/08 10:16 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

--------------------

OfflineTheBandit
Infidel
Male

#9288860 - 11/21/08 10:34 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

yo coaster i dont know what that means...but you owe me a vape. :wink:

--------------------

[quote]RogerRabbit said:

RR [/quote]

InvisibleDieCommie

#9288861 - 11/21/08 10:34 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

You may feel 'broke', but the average american college student still has a very high standard of living compared to most humans.  Just keep perspective about the difference between necessities and luxury and you wont mind it at all.

OfflineTheBandit
Infidel
Male

#9288899 - 11/21/08 10:42 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

diecommie, that was very nicely put. 5 4 u.

--------------------

[quote]RogerRabbit said:

RR [/quote]

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]