Home | Community | Message Board

Magic Mushrooms Zamnesia
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation >> Mushroom Cultivation Archive

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Hygrometer, Perlite, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: < First | < Back | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | Next > | Last >
OfflineZLeiterman
Stranger
Re: The Shroomery and mushroom cultivation, a newcomers guide. [Re: ZLeiterman]
    #11689083 - 12/20/09 11:23 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

just got first 2 pf cakes in the dunk tank! slid out nicely; one had a two incher that made it's way through the verm barrier and has apparently been growing between the filter and the lid! he's a bit bruised up though and i'm worried he might not survive the dunk, let alone the roll, not to mention the fact that he's gonna be growing in the wrong direction, poor guy!  I'm wondering if i could dunk them 12 instead of 24 hours as they feel a bit flimsy; they have been colonizing for 25 days.  Also, There was a small, yellow discoloration i spotted in the jar yesterday that i thought was mycl piss, and discovered tonight that it was like a hard, little booger on top of my cake, so i picked it off and now a little verm is showing. Did i kill it?! Oh No!

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineZLeiterman
Stranger
    #11689106 - 12/20/09 11:29 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Oh one more thing...should i keep dunk tank in the fridge or not? I've heard both suggestions, but no reason as to why...i got em in the fridge right now weighted and covered in filtered water.

Invisible13shroomsM
Lightning Shaman
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: IN ETHERS TORSION FIELD
Trusted Cultivator
    #11689150 - 12/20/09 11:41 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

yeah if they felt flimzy then a shorter dunk would be better.  just handle carefuly if you feel they are so.  but generaly cakes that are 100% fully colonized are very durible. 

some keep in the fridge for cold shocking which is not needed for tropical species such as cubensis.  others do it cuz contams are fewer in cooler temps but refridgerators can be dirty so :shrug:

I dont use the fridge, I just keep a lid/cover over them in a large pot on my counter top. oh and a plate to hold them under water in the pot.:thumbup:

your doing fine, breath.. :grin:

--------------------
:takingnotes:A M U:helpdesk:
Click here ^ for the AMU forum
VVV AMUs Free Active/Edible/Exotic Spore Print or Syringe or Edible Culture Trade Thread VVV
"Man is the sex organ of the machine world" ~  Marshall McLuhan

InvisibleCH HELL
Brain Sturgeon
Male User Gallery

Loc: mars Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #11689158 - 12/20/09 11:43 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

You are fine, fridge or no fridge it doesn't matter.  If you have a good amount of pins then dunk for 12 hours skip the roll and just sprinkle verm on the top and mist it heavy.  After your first flush dunk for 24 hours and roll.  The "hard little booger" was probably hyphea(a pin forming) if you picked it,  it won't hurt anything.
CH

OfflineZLeiterman
Stranger
Re: The Shroomery and mushroom cultivation, a newcomers guide. [Re: 13shrooms]
    #11689179 - 12/20/09 11:49 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Thank you again for putting my mind at ease 13, I'm just super excited; it's not like me to be able to pull of a project or even a hobby of this nature.  Now how do I get my F.C. to 95%+? I just added more damp perlite 2 hours ago and i'm at 90%, 72 F, no humidifier running...

OfflineZLeiterman
Stranger
    #11689202 - 12/20/09 11:53 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Hell I picked a booger! how much verm on top (just a little mound?) and whats considered heavy misting and how far above F.C. should i mist? not directly into F.C. or on cakes/fruits right, just let it fall onto my babies. 3-5 times daily with fanning yes?
      Thanks again mang
Z

Invisible13shroomsM
Lightning Shaman

Trusted Cultivator
    #11689231 - 12/21/09 12:00 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

your humidity will get up there give it time.  :sun:

yeah a lil pile of verm that will hold water for the cake to absorbe during fruiting.
dont worry bout mist hurting anything but full sized shrooms it could rot your mushies if they stay wet for more than a couple hours.  pins can handle a dunk so direct mist is fine. :stoned:

mist so things have a "glisten" but not soaked or puddling.  if its too wet it will delay new pins from forming cuz the myc isnt getting fae just water.

everything else sounds perfect :super:

--------------------
VVV AMUs Free Active/Edible/Exotic Spore Print or Syringe or Edible Culture Trade Thread VVV

OfflineZLeiterman
Stranger
    #11689274 - 12/21/09 12:13 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Sweet! will be posting updates soon! Thanks!

OfflineZLeiterman
Stranger
    #11692425 - 12/21/09 04:02 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Hey people,

Got two half pint cakes dunked for 16 hours, just checked em' 2 hours ago and they seem okay; pins are intact, one i would say is not a pin anymore, he's a mushroom about 3" long,who grew past the verm barrier searching for something, and unfortunately got bruised growing against the glass i guess(I tapped him out very carefully when i noticed him upon opening the jar!).  Still a layer of verm attached to the dunked cake; rinsed most of it off initially, but didn't want to pick away at it. Will rinse again. Should I make sure I have a solid white cake before rolling and scrape it off, or is that old verm gonna be okay? It seems that that is where any contaminants (Though I've seen none yet) would hang out, and now they are wet, giving them nutrients to propagate! Also, got a 30 qt. shotgun F.C. with 5" perlite for 2 days to get ready, but just got it from 90-92% from misting and fanning every 2 hours since this morning, no humidifier on. Can I put them in this new environment at 92%  I guess a few hours from now i won't have a choice! And not to discredit the opinions of those who have responded to me in the past 72 hours if I'm asking the same questions, i just don't know who is viewing and i want as many viewpoints as i can get!  But again thank you all for your input, the proof is in the proverbial (or primordial) pudding eh!
    Thank you all
Z

Invisible13shroomsM
Lightning Shaman

Trusted Cultivator
    #11692454 - 12/21/09 04:09 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Still a layer of verm attached to the dunked cake; rinsed most of it off initially, but didn't want to pick away at it. Will rinse again. Should I make sure I have a solid white cake before rolling and scrape it off, or is that old verm gonna be okay?

as long as you rinsed and got as much as you can off then your good to go. :sun:

Quote:

Can I put them in this new environment at 92%

yup, just do your best to keep the humidity up.  you only need 3-4 air exchanges a day so every 2 hours might be overkill but as long as your humidity is holding its fine. :thumbup:
did you make the shotgun fc like the video with 1/4" holes every 2" on all 6 sides (including the bottom)?  that is key for air flow to bring humidity up in the fc...make sure its up off the table or whatever its on so air can get under the fc for proper air current.

just making sure I dont miss anything that would be important :grin:

your doing great. :super:

--------------------

OfflineZLeiterman
Stranger
    #11692749 - 12/21/09 04:51 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Thank You again 13,

Yeah I've had a few days off of work(until the first of the year and the week after!) to birth my children, and want them to transfer to optimal fruiting conditions, so I'll probably mist/fan 3-5 times per day while off work, then 3 times a day when I'm back to work. Do you think I'll be O.K?  Don't wanna spoil the children though...

OfflineZLeiterman
Stranger
    #11692888 - 12/21/09 05:07 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah 13 I got it raised 6" off of a 3 ft coffee table near a big window, no lighting except ambient,only an hour or two a day from  regular light bulbs if that matters.

Invisible13shroomsM
Lightning Shaman

Trusted Cultivator
    #11692970 - 12/21/09 05:16 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

you need 12/12 indirect sunlight or 12/12 artificial cfl lighting.

they will grow with out lights but will be much more healthy with lighting. :sun:

--------------------

OfflineZLeiterman
Stranger
    #11693100 - 12/21/09 05:34 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

but 12 hours on/12 hours off regardless of lighting technique? The sun comes up around 7p.m. and goes down by 5 p.m., so can I be blissfully ignorant, pull the shades and let my regular lamp light this room a few hours a day or get CFL lights to constantly heat at 12 hours?

Invisible13shroomsM
Lightning Shaman

Trusted Cultivator
    #11693222 - 12/21/09 05:53 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

yup, dont put the cfl too close (if you get one) so heat is not a factor. :thumbup:

--------------------

OfflineZLeiterman
Stranger
    #11693290 - 12/21/09 06:02 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

ok here we go

OfflineZLeiterman
Stranger
    #11717101 - 12/25/09 04:15 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Happy Holidays Shroomies!

Happy to say that 2 cakes birthed 4 days ago are fruiting nicely (I think; 10-13 fruits at at least per cake, but half of those popped up and grew before birthing ) I have 2 nice lookin fruits, one about 5 inches in length that was discovered at about 2 inches in the jar!  Both have broken veils and gills are visible/caps have flattened out, But the big guy has had this bristly fuzz at his base up to about 3 inches, and a few others as well.  Is this just mycelium growth after birth, or cobweb mold? Is my humidity too high? I mist and fan 3-4 times per day in a 30 qt. shotgun, but my hygrometer won't go past 90% on most days.  It's a $20.00 digital thermometer/hygrometer combo by Holmes.  I hear lately that these are inaccurate, so can someone tell me what i need?  Still a nice mushroom smell in the F.C. Also, fruits seem to be growing down or sideways.  I hear that light is the last of the pinning triggers, so i give them ambient light for about 10 hrs. a day, but it's about 5 ft. from a window, so do i need CFL lighting to make them grow upwards?

Invisible13shroomsM
Lightning Shaman

Trusted Cultivator
    #11717313 - 12/25/09 05:10 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

But the big guy has had this bristly fuzz at his base up to about 3 inches, and a few others as well.  Is this just mycelium growth after birth, or cobweb mold?

just myc, no biggie. :mushroom2:

Quote:

I mist and fan 3-4 times per day in a 30 qt. shotgun, but my hygrometer won't go past 90% on most days.  It's a $20.00 digital thermometer/hygrometer combo by Holmes.  I hear lately that these are inaccurate, so can someone tell me what i need?

digi hygrometers are crap mine burnt out once the humidity was above 95%.  cigar humidors at tobacco shops have analog (manual calibration) hygrometers that you calibrate with a damp towel wrapped around them for an hour and adjust the calibration screw to 99 once you have done so.  they run $15 on up for nice ones.

Quote:

so do i need CFL lighting to make them grow upwards?

you said you had invitro growth b4 you birthed them so they were already growing in that direction then once you dunked and rolled and put them in the sgfc the cake was just upside down.  its not a problem they will either grow upside down just fine or they will curl back the right way. :sun:

again nothing to stress about.  :mushroom2:

marry Xmas :santaclaus:

--------------------

OfflineZLeiterman
Stranger
    #11717758 - 12/25/09 07:21 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

And a Merry X mas to you 13,
        Just picked the big guy and misted again; the next guy that is ready to pick is attached at the base to a fruit that is days away(in my noob opinion)from full maturity.Should I sacrifice the smaller fruit and pick it all, or let the more mature fruit overfruit? Wet fruit in paper bag in fridge okay for a few days?
    Thanks

InvisibleCH HELL
Brain Sturgeon
Male User Gallery

Loc: mars Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #11718169 - 12/25/09 09:30 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

You should start your own post more people would see it. 
The choice is yours on the mature fruit you can leave it and get spores all over or cut it near the base with scissors and remove the rest when they are ready.
CH

Jump to top. Pages: < First | < Back | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | Next > | Last >

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Hygrometer, Perlite, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation >> Mushroom Cultivation Archive