Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineABC
Stranger
 User Gallery

A few noob questions
    #9266768 - 11/18/08 03:55 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Hey, im pretty new at this, but im interested in starting the hobby :smile:

so my questions:

1) why does it seem like prints cost more than syringes?

2) i hear that "a cube is a cube", and that there may even not be any significant distinction between them. Is this true?

3) Supposedly hpoo grows have a better outcome than pf tek, is this true/why?

5) I have a cheap (maybe $30) HEPA filtration machine-thing, will this be useful at all? because, it seems that the filtration systems used are a lot more advanced.

thanks
-ABC

Edited by ABC (03/30/09 02:30 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblejajapee
Teh Bonerz
Female

Re: A few noob questions [Re: ABC]
    #9266776 - 11/18/08 03:56 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

A pet deer? thats weird

--------------------
I told Althea that treachery was tearing me limb from limb
Althea told me cool down boy, settle back, easy Jim

Forever Grateful

Invisibledoze
Stranger

#9266800 - 11/18/08 03:59 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

ABC said:
Hey, im pretty new at this, but im interested in starting the hobby :smile:

so my questions:

1) why does it seem like prints cost more than syringes?
prints have more spores on them

2) i hear that "a cube is a cube", and that there may even not be any significant distinction between them. Is this true?
pretty much just appearance

3) Supposedly hpoo grows have a better outcome than pf tek, is this true/why?
yes. because it has more nutrients than a pf cake alone therefore it gives you a larger yield

because my neighbors have a pet deer and a pony, and theres a large stack of poo right behind our house, stinks in the summer  :poop:

4) Shroomgrowing doesnt seem extraordinarily expensive, but do you guys have any advise on how I might be able to save a few $$?
its not that expensive.

thanks
-ABC

--------------------
But I'll bounce back for mine is a heart made of iron forged in the darkest smithy of despair! Alloyed with hate and melancholy! corroded by anger! oxidized by fury!

OfflineBoris
Viking Warrior, of Valour
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: TX. Flag
    #9266885 - 11/18/08 04:12 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

1) cause you can make about 15 syringes on your own from 1 print

2) A cube is a Cube basically. only differing in performance is how well/bad you cultivate them. imo visual characteristics of most cubes even look pretty much the same...

3) The depth/size of your sub has some supportive reasoning why a bulk grow will out preform. in a ratio of sub to fruits, cakes win. There both good. imo Cakes have a higher success rate then bulk, but bulk being ezer to execute with slightly higher yields.

4)I didn't plan on spending allot, then I got hooked cause its all so interesting. Then i found my self investing all of my time, and allot of my money into it :lol: its all what you wanna make of it. If your here to explore your mind, then you will prolly spend a lil more to achieve a fulfilling experience, but if your just here to get high/make some doe, then you might decide to try and save a few bucks. Tip: you can save allot of money by finding free subs like that dung you spoke of.

5)It would be smart to select a small room to do all of your work in (Prepping, innocing, incubating, ect), and have a HEPA air purifier running 24/7 in there. I have a $100 one running in my hot-water heater closet (The room I keep my supplies in, and do all my work in).

--------------------
AMU

Terence McKenna Said:
"We have to create culture, don't watch TV, don't read magazines, don't even listen to NPR. Create your own roadshow. The nexus of space and time where you are now is the most immediate sector of your universe, and if you're worrying about Michael Jackson or Bill Clinton or somebody else, then you are disempowered, you're giving it all away to icons, icons which are maintained by an electronic media so that you want to dress like X or have lips like Y. This is shit-brained, this kind of thinking. That is all cultural diversion, and what is real is you and your friends and your associations, your highs, your orgasms, your hopes, your plans, your fears. And we are told 'no', we're unimportant, we're peripheral. 'Get a degree, get a job, get a this, get a that.' And then you're a player, you don't want to even play in that game. You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that's being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world."

Offlineaceha123
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Loc: N.Y.
Re: A few noob questions [Re: Boris]
    #9266900 - 11/18/08 04:14 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

if I can hijack you guys for a second I got a question...

OfflineBoris
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: A few noob questions [Re: aceha123]
    #9266962 - 11/18/08 04:22 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

If its pertaining to anything in this post go ahead. If its totally off-topic, just make a post of your own, its not hard :grin:

--------------------
AMU

Terence McKenna Said:
"We have to create culture, don't watch TV, don't read magazines, don't even listen to NPR. Create your own roadshow. The nexus of space and time where you are now is the most immediate sector of your universe, and if you're worrying about Michael Jackson or Bill Clinton or somebody else, then you are disempowered, you're giving it all away to icons, icons which are maintained by an electronic media so that you want to dress like X or have lips like Y. This is shit-brained, this kind of thinking. That is all cultural diversion, and what is real is you and your friends and your associations, your highs, your orgasms, your hopes, your plans, your fears. And we are told 'no', we're unimportant, we're peripheral. 'Get a degree, get a job, get a this, get a that.' And then you're a player, you don't want to even play in that game. You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that's being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world."

OfflineThe shroomy 1
Luminous beings surround me
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Aether
Trusted Cultivator
    #9267003 - 11/18/08 04:27 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

aceha123 said:
if I can hijack you guys for a second I got a question...

Start a new thread.

The Shroomy 1

--------------------

AMU Q&A thread.

Offlineaceha123
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #9267034 - 11/18/08 04:31 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

well yeah its a noob question I'm sure...but, knocked up 12 jars 3 weeks nothing at 75 degrees no growth no contams..sporeworks spores( pretty confident in those) I sacrificed one jar, seemed dry and a little tight? will that completely halt growth? I am new so dont rip me a new one, but I have been reading the forums and cant seem to find a real definative answer any feedback is greatly appreciated.thanx

OfflineBoris
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9267067 - 11/18/08 04:34 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah, thats pretty :offtopicman:

Just go make a new post. You gotta respect the original question and the guy who made this post.

--------------------
AMU

Terence McKenna Said:

Offlineaceha123
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: A few noob questions [Re: Boris]
    #9267100 - 11/18/08 04:39 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

how. I dont have permission?

OfflineThe shroomy 1
Luminous beings surround me
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Aether
Trusted Cultivator
    #9267154 - 11/18/08 04:48 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

aceha123 said:
how. I dont have permission?

Of course you do!  Go to...... FORUM INDEX,  Then go to  MUSHROOM CULTIVATION,  Close to the top right hand side of the screen you'll see the options.......POST, previous, index, next.

Hit the Post button

The Shroomy 1

--------------------

AMU Q&A thread.

Offlineaceha123
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: A few noob questions [Re: The shroomy 1]
    #9267249 - 11/18/08 05:00 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

thanx you're the man

OfflineABC
Stranger
 User Gallery

#9268517 - 11/18/08 07:57 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks for the help!

I do have a few more questions though :p

What is "FAE" and how do i do it? is it the same as misting?

WBS = wild bird seed? what do you mean by "wild", like is there a difference between "birdseed" and "wild birdseed"?

Would a lighter be sufficient for flame sterilization? Or is an alcohol burner neccesary?

-  ABC

Offlinedead
grateful
Male User Gallery

Loc: North pole
    #9268533 - 11/18/08 07:59 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

FAE = fresh air exchange. You do it by fanning the fruiting chamber with the lid several times a day. WBS is a seed mix, containing lots of stuff wild birds like.

Lighter is ok for flame sterilization.

--------------------
"The third eye. You spend years doing everything you can to open it and then the damn thing opens and your friends laugh at you when you tell them you can see their souls behind their eyes burning like rainbows."

Links:
:regularshroom:Nibin's Guide for Noobs
:regularshroom:some easy teks on bulk & grain prep. (my journal)

OfflineABC
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: A few noob questions [Re: dead]
    #9272962 - 11/19/08 03:44 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

sweet, thanks :smile:

...no need to start a new thread, so...

more questions:

1) why use a "cool mist" machine instead of the standard steamy humidifier. wouldn't a hot humidifier help regulate the temperature better?

2) when misting the terrarium, should the misting-water be sterilized? or can it be tap?

Thanks

-ABC

Edited by ABC (03/30/09 02:32 PM)

OfflineABC
Stranger
 User Gallery

#9281719 - 11/20/08 09:01 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

24 hour Bump*

OfflineNuzzle
Misunderstood
 User Gallery

#9281875 - 11/20/08 09:25 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

ABC said:
sweet, thanks :smile:

...no need to start a new thread, so...

more questions:

1) why use a "cool mist" machine instead of the standard steamy humidifier. wouldn't a hot humidifier help regulate the temperature better?

2) when misting the terrarium, should the misting-water be sterilized? or can it be tap?

3) I live in/around the New England area, and it typically get's pretty cold, so two questions regarding that:

a) is there a strain of mushroom that would better grow in a cold environment?

b) it's almost winter, should I wait for summer to try my first grow? or am I just being paranoid?

Thanks

-ABC

If your looking to save some money, do a shotgun terrirum. and use perlite to keep up the humidity. It is winter here now where I am, and it is also my first time growing. I have been growing Golden Teachers pretty successfully and have already enjoyed the fruits of my labor. If you can find a closet or someplace to designate your growing area and keep the temperature at the required levels, you will be fine no matter whether it is winter or summer.

--------------------
:hi:**If you have any spare spore prints lying around, and your feeling 'giving' drop me a PM** :dancer:

OfflineInstinctz
Stranger
Male

#9281938 - 11/20/08 09:35 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

About cool mist vs warm..

Welp, I was curious too so I checked around and google told me.

Quote:

Question: What is The Difference Between Cool Mist & Warm Mist Humidifiers?

What is the difference in cool and warm mist humidifiers and how do I know if I need one?

Answer: There are only a few differences between warm and cool mist humidifiers and the type that is better for you depends on which type is recommended by your physician, or which type helps you breathe better.

From my own experience I've found that the cool mist usually makes breathing easier for asthma and allergies. If you find it hard to breathe in a sauna, a cool mist would probably be better for you. On the other hand, if a sauna makes it easier for you to breathe, a warm mist would be a better choice.

Warm Mist Humidifiers

These humidifiers actually boil the water which causes a distilled steam to be expelled into the room. This steam is like a gentle spray of warm water, as opposed to a vapor, and this is concentrated in the area closest to the humidifier. This warm mist is easier to breathe in a cool room. These units are often also used for steaming medications.

They are a little quieter than cool mist humidifiers, and are sold in small portable units. They require more frequent cleaning due to the warm water which encourages bacteria growth in the unit.

Cool Mist Humidifiers

Cool mist models are slightly noisier, though some models have a 'silent' feature for operating in bedrooms. They pass the water over a wick and expel a vapor, that cools down the room temperature and makes it easier to breathe. They vary in size, from units that can be circulated through the house's heating system, floor console units, or room size models.

All humidifiers require regular cleaning to reduce the risk of bacteria, and some models have filters which require changing to maintain performance levels.

PS:

The outdoor climate should not affect your own grow time.  As the goal here is to produce your own climate for the mushies to grow.  Its the whole reason we use humidifiers, perlite, heaters, all that stuff.  If your wanting to only grow outdoors than yes, you'll need to wait till outdoor climate is close to prefered growing ranges. (73-80f, 60-90rh).  How ever luckily the comfertable temperature ranges humans enjoy (73-76f, 30-50rh) is decent for growing.  So if your growing indoors you will most likely be ok to go.  Just remember if your not going to boost your humidity indoor's, you will need to mist often, or use perlite.

Edited by Instinctz (11/20/08 09:40 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures