Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Invisiblevampirism
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Wiccan-Seeker [Re: memes]
    #9278773 - 11/20/08 01:37 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

meams said:
I understand why gold is a good store of value, but all it takes is a change in the collective public view to deem it worthless.  Gold is considered valuable because it was deemed so thousands of years ago when it was all pretty and sparkly.  Otherwise it's just a rock.

I Love how at the bottom of my screen is the "similar threads" section, and the top link is "Wiccan Seeker's Ideal Woman."

lol

well, there is a difference.

gold is extremely rare, has amazing and unique-in-scope properties, and will never, ever be worthless. It's why people rely on it.

In the case of something like diamonds, they certainly can become worthless. They are just a pretty rock, and their value is artificially created through price control via the DeBeers and others.

So,
Yes, the market value of gold is not equal to its practical use.  No, gold is not essentially worthless by itself.

And besides, if we still used the gold standard, the disconnect with monetary value would not matter. Our economy could even heal, if it were attached to something solid..

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblevampirism
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Wiccan-Seeker [Re: DieCommie]
    #9278784 - 11/20/08 01:38 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

DieCommie said:
Fiat FTW.  Nobody stores it for wealth, that would be stupid.  But its great as a medium for exchange of real wealth.

FUCK NO

Fiat is a failure, because it gives politicians the power to dictate value. It's why the economic collapses are coming to a head now.

InvisibleDieCommie

Re: Wiccan-Seeker [Re: vampirism]
    #9278861 - 11/20/08 01:53 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Politicians do not dictate its value, each individual does.

Fiat FTW, as a system it has helped lift millions out of poverty.

Invisiblememes
Blessed

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: In a Tree
    #9279333 - 11/20/08 03:16 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I'm with Commie on this one, although you do have some valid points vampirism. 

I don't really have a detailed argument against the gold standard.  My professors have briefly touched up on it in my various classes (specifically Money & Banking), but they didn't offer too much of an explanation as to why it wouldn't work (other than a few key tidbits).

I've thought about doing some research and figuring it out, but in the end the only people I would be debating with is Wiccan and a few other of you Shroomery goldbugs, and it's just not worth it to me.

so, 'meh.

Invisiblevampirism
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Wiccan-Seeker [Re: memes]
    #9282036 - 11/20/08 09:57 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

meams said:
I'm with Commie on this one, although you do have some valid points vampirism. 

I don't really have a detailed argument against the gold standard.  My professors have briefly touched up on it in my various classes (specifically Money & Banking), but they didn't offer too much of an explanation as to why it wouldn't work (other than a few key tidbits).

I've thought about doing some research and figuring it out, but in the end the only people I would be debating with is Wiccan and a few other of you Shroomery goldbugs, and it's just not worth it to me.

so, 'meh.

Fiat sounds like a great idea, until you look at the effects it has had on American economy. DieCommie is wrong, put bluntly -- because much of our economic woe is directly linked to the loss of gold standard.

I'm a bit too tired to explain this myself right now, but this video does a very good job of it : http://www.chrismartenson.com/crashcourse/chapter-9-brief-history-us-money
highly recommended

Also, it's not about knowing trivia - these facts have real consequences in your life, and understanding them help you to plan for your own future.

InvisibleDieCommie

Re: Wiccan-Seeker [Re: vampirism]
    #9282073 - 11/20/08 10:05 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Our current economic woe is nothing compared to the standard of living before fiat currency.  The correlation is indisputable.  Try again hippie.

OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
    #9282100 - 11/20/08 10:11 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

:lol:

Awesome.

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
    #9282129 - 11/20/08 10:15 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

in the 50s we were on the gold standard, seem the standard of
living could afford the average person to buy a house, put some
in saving and still support his family on that single family income...
the standard of living is so much better now isnt it

InvisibleSleepyF0x
I bleed nicotine...
Male

#9282132 - 11/20/08 10:16 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

what about this progressive inflation? the more money the fed prints the less it devalues our dollar, theft if you ask me.

--------------------
Everybody's a ninja...

Invisiblevampirism
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#9282147 - 11/20/08 10:18 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

DieCommie said:
Our current economic woe is nothing compared to the standard of living before fiat currency.  The correlation is indisputable.  Try again hippie.

Don't insult me if you expect to continue any kind of conversation with me - this is not OTD.

Our standard of living has decreased dramatically. Do you realize that from about 1665-1940 our prices stayed the same? That after the spike post-ww2 our money recovered its value until the 70s - because it was based on the gold standard.

The elimination of gold standard has so far helped to increase federal debt by 2000%. Inflation, which could be totally eliminated with sound money, has gone up tenfold.

When you have a federally regulated and accessibly fiat currency, and a corrupt government -- your economy is bound to be destroyed. We are at never-before heard of levels of inflation&debt, and because of fiat currency these are allowed to continue growing at unheard of rates.

Fiat has already failed, the frightening question is whether we'll be able to ween ourselves off of it.

InvisibleDieCommie

Re: Wiccan-Seeker [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #9282160 - 11/20/08 10:20 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:
in the 50s we were on the gold standard, seem the standard of
living could afford the average person to buy a house, put some
in saving and still support his family on that single family income...

Youve been watching too much leave it to beaver.

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit! Flag
Re: Wiccan-Seeker [Re: AroundtheSon]
    #9282166 - 11/20/08 10:22 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I'm putting my money in steel, copper, aluminum, and beans.

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
    #9282210 - 11/20/08 10:30 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

DieCommie said:
Youve been watching too much leave it to beaver.

this man can buy a cup of coffee

Invisibleblewmeanie
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
Re: Wiccan-Seeker [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #9282253 - 11/20/08 10:37 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Baby_Hitler said:

Im going to invest in nintendos.

I bought a new nintendo DS(zelda package) last year for 120.00, sold it for 130, and now I see it for sale used for about 550.00

--------------------
The Prophecy!

Learn To Code

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit! Flag
Re: Wiccan-Seeker [Re: blewmeanie]
    #9282503 - 11/20/08 11:30 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

blewmeanie said:
Quote:

Baby_Hitler said:

Im going to invest in nintendos.

I bought a new nintendo DS(zelda package) last year for 120.00, sold it for 130, and now I see it for sale used for about 550.00

Screw gold. Let's base our economy on vidjiagamez.

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag