Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineray40cal
omnitrippint
Male User Gallery

Loc: midwest side
Cheaply sealing spawn bags
    #9270287 - 11/19/08 12:30 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Never used spawn bags before, but im getting some from Madseason. I don't want to pay for any vaccum sealers or impulse sealers, so can i just seal it up with duct tape? Will tape hold up in the pressure cooker like that?

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinelastlokean
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Cheaply sealing spawn bags [Re: ray40cal]
    #9270406 - 11/19/08 12:54 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

There is a tek someplace about taping bags using standard masking tape rather than impulse sealing.  Actually I use masking tape to seal autoclave bags rather than impulse seal them(and I own a nice impulse sealer)  The tape is nicer because bag re-use becomes far more practical than if the bag is being sealed and then cut. 
I have heard mention of concern of masking tape having fungicides within the adhesive, however I have not had a problem (I buy really cheap locally produced  i.e offbrand)  and I don't think fungicides would be profitable at the price it is sold for.(Stay away from expensive brand name tape it is more likely to have fungicides).

--------------------

Recipe:
How a Lokean makes chocolates

For a fully enclosed gh with a coolmist piped in, one may find that adding one of these to the opposite end as the intake will seriously help reduce pressure buildup and strain on the poor weak coolmist motor, while also dramatically improving fae without cutting polyfill stuffed slits all over the damn thing.  (That looks suspicious :smirk:)

Offlineray40cal
omnitrippint
Male User Gallery

Re: Cheaply sealing spawn bags [Re: lastlokean]
    #9270517 - 11/19/08 01:27 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

thx dewd

--------------------

Offlinenickelz34
Fungi Eater

Loc: Quebec, Canada Flag
    #9270660 - 11/19/08 02:14 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

yah i dont think that would be a prob . ive heard of rolling the top than using paper clips to keep it closed .

--------------------
Super Easy LC

Shroomerys secrets to free things !! All users contribute!!

The reason my post count is so low is because I know how to use the  search option on this site

Rotten Status : closed site gone

Offline4 ho cultivar
Transcending plains
Male User Gallery

Loc: Central, Oregon {represen...
Re: Cheaply sealing spawn bags [Re: nickelz34]
    #9270750 - 11/19/08 03:05 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

You don't want to seal it before the P.C.  what I do is fold it once. and put rubberbands on both sides of filter patch,, fluff filter patch so it has some breathing room and isn't laying on spawn material... next put a plate on top of filter to prevent water from touching and the bag from going in the vent hole.      After your done pull it out remove rubber bands and I guess duct tape.. if its your only choice do it... it will probably work. just make sure the plastic is super flate and put tape on both sides leave 1/2 at top and stick two sides of tape together... push really hard to try and close those air veins in the tape.. just tape it alot. youll be cool.

--------------------
:mushroom2::crazy2::mushroom2::crazy2::Patience be thy virtue:crazy2::mushroom2::crazy2::mushroom2:

Blurring the line between reality and dreams
Mr. Winkie says: "Procrastinators unite................................tommorrow!!:ganja:
G.Kahuna said: "Plus you get all the fun from taking a walk {and} shooting mycelium at cow droppings with a super soaker. Now beat that!":cuteshit:

Offlinenickelz34
Fungi Eater

Loc: Quebec, Canada Flag
Re: Cheaply sealing spawn bags [Re: 4 ho cultivar]
    #9270753 - 11/19/08 03:08 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

that should work nice . good luck though

--------------------
Super Easy LC

Shroomerys secrets to free things !! All users contribute!!

The reason my post count is so low is because I know how to use the  search option on this site

Rotten Status : closed site gone

OfflineSpongiform
Some Cow
Male User Gallery

Loc: Greener Pastures
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Cheaply sealing spawn bags [Re: nickelz34]
    #9270795 - 11/19/08 03:52 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I made a ghetto spawn bag from a turkey-sized oven bag.  What did was cut out a 1" square hole and covered with micropore tape (inside and out) then secured it with packing tape.  Then to seal it, I twisted and used a bread tie, then twisted again and tied.  I let it sit on a shelf for a month and it didn't get contam'd.  It looks a little dry, but when I'm ready I'm gonna innoc with about 10 ccs of LC to re-hydrate.

Offlineray40cal
omnitrippint
Male User Gallery

Re: Cheaply sealing spawn bags [Re: Spongiform]
    #9273387 - 11/19/08 04:52 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Yea maybe i'll wait till i can afford an impulse sealer. Of course, i won't be getting it from a sponsor because they charge way way, way way to0 fucking much. I think it was about 400 bucks.  That just.......... made me want to burn this motherfucker down. IM GONNA BURN THIS MOTHERFUCKER DOWN. WHITECASTLE HAS ONIONS AND FLAVOR CRYSTALS.

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #9273405 - 11/19/08 04:57 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I've never owned an impulse sealer.  I seal bags with steel tie-wire from the hardware store.  You can also use aircraft tie-wire, but the non-stainless steel cheap stuff works just as well.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinelastlokean
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Cheaply sealing spawn bags [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #9274740 - 11/19/08 08:21 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

You can seal myco-bags (bags with the big white filter on them prior to pressure cooking).  The patch allows for gas and pressure exchange.

--------------------

Recipe:
How a Lokean makes chocolates

For a fully enclosed gh with a coolmist piped in, one may find that adding one of these to the opposite end as the intake will seriously help reduce pressure buildup and strain on the poor weak coolmist motor, while also dramatically improving fae without cutting polyfill stuffed slits all over the damn thing.  (That looks suspicious :smirk:)

InvisibleJ3illy
Trainee

#9274848 - 11/19/08 08:43 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

ray40cal said:
I think it was about 400 bucks.

$400?! That's nuts, where were you looking?  I just did a very quick google search, and I found what appears to be perfect sealers for Mycobag purposes.

12" Impulse sealer - $34.95

http://store.machineworldusa.com/12imse.html

8" Impulse sealer - $25.00

http://www.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=671368

OfflineiMtRiPpIn
Lookin' fer Luv
 User Gallery

Re: Cheaply sealing spawn bags [Re: J3illy]
    #9275073 - 11/19/08 09:23 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Can someone post a picture on their alternative bag sealing?  I can't understand how the bag would be completely sealed with paper clips, wire, or tape...would their still not be some minor openings, or is that not an issue?  I thought you needed to have the bag completely sealed, and my understanding was that an impulse sealer would do that flawlessly.  Some photos might help clarify the alternatives for me.

--------------------

OfflineThe shroomy 1
Luminous beings surround me
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Aether
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Cheaply sealing spawn bags [Re: iMtRiPpIn]
    #9275166 - 11/19/08 09:39 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I would think the only reason that one would have the need for an impulse sealer is to seal the bag in a "PROFESSIONAL"  manner.  That would be important if you were a VENDOR and wanted to ensure you were providing a sterile product.  Especially if you were shipping it through the mail.  If your doing it for yourself, then what the hell do you need all that for?  If you can PC your jars with aluminum covering the lids, then you can fold the mycobag over and keep it closed with tape, paper clips or whatever you have handy to keep the steam from screwing your moisture content of the substrate in the bag.  If I was "trading" my homemade bags for prints or whatever, then yes,  I would definitely seal it with a impulse sealer.    Am I making sense?

The Shroomy 1

--------------------

AMU Q&A thread.

OfflineiMtRiPpIn
Lookin' fer Luv
 User Gallery

Re: Cheaply sealing spawn bags [Re: The shroomy 1]
    #9275230 - 11/19/08 09:50 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

The shroomy 1 said:
I would think the only reason that one would have the need for an impulse sealer is to seal the bag in a "PROFESSIONAL"  manner.  That would be important if you were a VENDOR and wanted to ensure you were providing a sterile product.  Especially if you were shipping it through the mail.  If your doing it for yourself, then what the hell do you need all that for?  If you can PC your jars with aluminum covering the lids, then you can fold the mycobag over and keep it closed with tape, paper clips or whatever you have handy to keep the steam from screwing your moisture content of the substrate in the bag.  If I was "trading" my homemade bags for prints or whatever, then yes,  I would definitely seal it with a impulse sealer.    Am I making sense?

The Shroomy 1

Yes but PF jars have a protective verm layer to keep contams out, and grain jars have tyvek or filter discs to keep contams out.  With a grain bag, there's nothing between the grain and contams except the bag, so if there is even the slightest opening, won't contams get in while it's colonizing?

--------------------

InvisibleJ3illy
Trainee

#9275246 - 11/19/08 09:53 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

The shroomy 1 said:
Am I making sense?

Yep, I see what you're saying.  If it was me personally tho, and I was making my own bags, I'd definitely drop the $25 on that 8" sealer. I somehow managed to get trich in a sealed Madseason bag, so having the peace of mind knowing my bag was totally sealed would be feel a little better. :cool:

OfflineThe shroomy 1
Luminous beings surround me
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Aether
Trusted Cultivator
    #9275282 - 11/19/08 09:58 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I understand what your saying, but I'm thinking that These methods of sealing without an Impulse sealer still involves folding the open end of the bag over on itself about 3 to 4 times before being sealed with tape or paper clips.  I'm assuming that this is done prior to being PC'd.  I have all the respect for contaminants, but I really don't think they could get in a seal that has been folded 3 to 4 times over itself.  Unless they have legs and arms!  LOL.

The Shroomy 1

--------------------

AMU Q&A thread.

OfflineiMtRiPpIn
Lookin' fer Luv
 User Gallery

#9275336 - 11/19/08 10:07 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

The shroomy 1 said:
I understand what your saying, but I'm thinking that These methods of sealing without an Impulse sealer still involves folding the open end of the bag over on itself about 3 to 4 times before being sealed with tape or paper clips.  I'm assuming that this is done prior to being PC'd.  I have all the respect for contaminants, but I really don't think they could get in a seal that has been folded 3 to 4 times over itself.  Unless they have legs and arms!  LOL.

The Shroomy 1

Ok I gotcha now.  Thanks dude.

--------------------

OfflineSpongiform
Some Cow
Male User Gallery

Loc: Greener Pastures
Trusted Cultivator
    #9275521 - 11/19/08 10:29 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

First, I twisted the bag (like a loaf of bread) then used a twisty tie.  I then twisted again and tied it into a knot.  Then I twisted above the knot and used another twisty tie.  Then cut off the excess bag sticking out.  I figure that gives 3 'seals' and should be good enough.  It's ghetto, but so far it's worked.

I didn't measure, but I figure there's around 2 1/2 quarts of wbs in it.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Cheaply sealing spawn bags [Re: Spongiform]
    #9275674 - 11/19/08 10:46 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

After inoculation, I simply twist the end of the bag like a loaf of bread and tie a wire a few wraps around the end.  You can see a few bags sealed this way at the bottom of the picture below.

I prefer to avoid sealing the bags pre-sterilization.  I've found a tyvek sleeve can be inserted into the bag for filtering, and then the bag can be sealed after inoculation.  You can see the process with the tyvek sleeve in this sawdust-woodchips clip about half way through.  The tyvek sleeve will protect the contents of the spawn bag until you open it up and remove the tyvek in your glovebox or in front of a laminar flow hood.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinejskeems
Stranger

Re: Cheaply sealing spawn bags [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #9276479 - 11/20/08 01:13 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

i use the poly neck filter  works great

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale