Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineArthurSalenez
Golden Block Of Bud
 User Gallery

I'm kinda screwed, my whole house is cold.
    #9273099 - 11/19/08 04:06 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Well, I purchased the special from spore works and obtained two mushroom strains (Mazatapec and Treasure Coast) after my last jars failed to form mycelium. Deciding to reuse my old jars and inoculate them with the new spores Im still worried, but I think I found out the problem. Even in room temperature, my jars were still very cold to the touch, my garage is 70 degrees and cold as hell. I dont think ill be lucky enough to grow shrooms in my situation. Ive been hearing things about customized fridges and stuff, but Im kind of low on money. I was thinking about using some wet perlite and pouring it in a boiling pot with a plastic box placed on top to warm up my jars using a external pan warmer. Is this a good idea?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineElevated
ApprenticeCultivator
Male User Gallery

Re: I'm kinda screwed, my whole house is cold. [Re: ArthurSalenez]
    #9273127 - 11/19/08 04:10 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

ArthurSalenez said:
I was thinking about using some wet perlite and pouring it in a boiling pot with a plastic box placed on top to warm up my jars using a external pan warmer. Is this a good idea?

and do that how many times a day???  I'm not sure about that but i do know some people use fish tank heaters in a sterlite tub with water...then put another tub into that/w the jars if your temp is low...if your temp gauge is right the jars should colonize @ 70 degrees just fine...thats what my last set of jars was @...It's recommended that they are a little higher..75-85 degrees but 70 should be fine..check your other procedures before assuming it's the temp...

Edited by Elevated (11/19/08 04:10 PM)

OfflineArthurSalenez
Golden Block Of Bud
 User Gallery

Re: I'm kinda screwed, my whole house is cold. [Re: Elevated]
    #9273148 - 11/19/08 04:13 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Elevated said:
Quote:

ArthurSalenez said:
I was thinking about using some wet perlite and pouring it in a boiling pot with a plastic box placed on top to warm up my jars using a external pan warmer. Is this a good idea?

and do that how many times a day???  I'm not sure about that but i do know some people use fish tank heaters in a sterlite tub with water...then put another tub into that/w the jars if your temp is low...if your temp gauge is right the jars should colonize @ 70 degrees just fine...thats what my last set of jars was @...It's recommended that they are a little higher..75-85 degrees but 70 should be fine..check your other procedures before assuming it's the temp...

I tried anything lower than 75 and saw no improvement. I think i'm going to stick with the recommendation and set my goal for at least 86 degrees. I'm tired of all this temperature crap.

OfflineKupo
Kupop!

#9273208 - 11/19/08 04:25 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Why are you keeping them in your garage?

86 degrees is not where you want your temperature to be! 82 at the max from what I have read. Each jar is warmer on the inside by a few degrees due to the mycelium growing. Anything over 86 = mycelium growth greatly declines if not starts to die.

If it is too cold, keep them in a warmer room and wrap those fuckers in blankets to keep any heat in.

But I agree, 70 degrees should still produce growth..I'd check your other procedures first!

Offlinedead
grateful
Male User Gallery

Loc: North pole
Re: I'm kinda screwed, my whole house is cold. [Re: Kupo]
    #9273226 - 11/19/08 04:27 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

You'll want colonizing jars at no higher than 80, because they generate some heat. 75 is an ideal temperature, but 70 will work just fine.

--------------------
"The third eye. You spend years doing everything you can to open it and then the damn thing opens and your friends laugh at you when you tell them you can see their souls behind their eyes burning like rainbows."

Links:
:regularshroom:Nibin's Guide for Noobs
:regularshroom:some easy teks on bulk & grain prep. (my journal)

OfflineROGER5676
truckload
Male User Gallery

Loc: niagara falls, ny
Re: I'm kinda screwed, my whole house is cold. [Re: dead]
    #9273257 - 11/19/08 04:32 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

70 is fine. thats what my house is at in the winter. even colder at night.around 62. the only thing i have noticed is it takes a few extra days to fully colonize.

OfflineArthurSalenez
Golden Block Of Bud
 User Gallery

#9273265 - 11/19/08 04:33 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

mrspirit2 said:

If it is too cold, keep them in a warmer room and wrap those fuckers in blankets to keep any heat in.

But I agree, 70 degrees should still produce growth..I'd check your other procedures first!

Are blankets the best material to keep jars warm? I've tried sweaters and they are still very cold.

OfflineKupo
Kupop!

#9273276 - 11/19/08 04:34 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Any type of insulating material to keep what little heat you have where you want it.

OfflineArthurSalenez
Golden Block Of Bud
 User Gallery

Re: I'm kinda screwed, my whole house is cold. [Re: ROGER5676]
    #9273286 - 11/19/08 04:35 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

ROGER5676 said:
70 is fine. thats what my house is at in the winter. even colder at night.around 62. the only thing i have noticed is it takes a few extra days to fully colonize.

Wow, my jars can't colonize for crap. I'm starting to wonder if I'm doing something wrong. I have nightmares about it unfortunately, like I'll never get that white celly web of glory. I feel like growing shrooms is impossible.

Edited by ArthurSalenez (11/19/08 04:36 PM)

OfflineFRES
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: 10 minutes from Deja Vu.
    #9273299 - 11/19/08 04:37 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

reptile heating pads work too

OfflineArthurSalenez
Golden Block Of Bud
 User Gallery

#9273309 - 11/19/08 04:38 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

mrspirit2 said:
Any type of insulating material to keep what little heat you have where you want it.

What do you recommend me using? Does styrofoam keep things warm?

OfflineArthurSalenez
Golden Block Of Bud
 User Gallery

Re: I'm kinda screwed, my whole house is cold. [Re: FRES]
    #9273317 - 11/19/08 04:40 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

FRES said:
reptile heating pads work too

Those are quite pricey but thanks for bringing that one up.

OfflineArthurSalenez
Golden Block Of Bud
 User Gallery

#9273322 - 11/19/08 04:42 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

OfflineSpongiform
Some Cow
Male User Gallery

Loc: Greener Pastures
Trusted Cultivator
Re: I'm kinda screwed, my whole house is cold. [Re: FRES]
    #9273323 - 11/19/08 04:42 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Here's some RR quotes to help you out.

Quote:

I have found little to no difference in colonization speeds between 75 and 81F. Growth falls off rapidly at 83F and above, not 87F. That chart above is bogus, period. I have tried dozens of times to duplicate it and it can't be done. It was apparently made by someone who did ONE grow with sloppy note taking, and sent the results to Paul. Growth is much slower in cold temperatures until you hit 69F, where it speeds up quite a bit until about 75F, where it remains 'flat' until 81, then is flat again until 83, where it falls off fast beginning at 84. By 'flat' I mean there is no discernible increase or decrease in rate of growth within those ranges. Jars will colonize as fast at 75F as they will at 80F. I've proved this time and time again with every strain in my collection. Growth also falls off rapidly above 84, and this is why so many new folks have problems with incubators set at 86F, and jars that 'won't colonize'. The figures I give are substrate temperatures, not air temperatures. The temp inside the jar is 1 to 5 degrees higher than the surrounding air, depending on where in the colonization cycle the jar is. The heat produced falls off fast as the jar approaches full colonization. If you live in an igloo, (or near the waterfront) by all means build an incubator, but keep it in the normal room temperature ranges for best results. I see no reason to set one above 80F, and lots of reasons not to.

Quote:

Let me tell you guys a story. My fellow moderator Roadkill and I were filming a video segment on pf jars over at my brother's house a month or two ago. Later that day, my non-mycologist brother moved everything we left behind out to his garage, jars included, just to get them out of the way. I told him it didn't really matter, as I just wanted to film the process of making/inoculating the jars. Three weeks later, I went over there and guess what? All of the jars were fully colonized. The temperature of his garage during this time varied from the mid 30's to the low 50's. (He lives about 50 miles from the Canadian border) So, if properly made pf jars can colonize in three weeks at those low temps, why bother with silly incubators?

OfflineKupo
Kupop!

Re: I'm kinda screwed, my whole house is cold. [Re: Spongiform]
    #9273328 - 11/19/08 04:43 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Yes, imo buy that heating pad if that is your cheapest option and if low temp is truly the issue.

Edit: But once again inoculation and prep could be where you went wrong. It being only 70 shouldn't be too huge a deal!

Edited by Kupo (11/19/08 04:51 PM)

OfflineSpongiform
Some Cow
Male User Gallery

Loc: Greener Pastures
Trusted Cultivator
    #9273371 - 11/19/08 04:50 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

75-80 is optimal but remember that jars produce their own heat.  So 70 will be just fine if not perfect.

OfflineArthurSalenez
Golden Block Of Bud
 User Gallery

#9273411 - 11/19/08 04:59 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks for the info guys. Really appreciate the help

http://www.presentsforyou.com/hp01rbconair.html?ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=HP01RB

I got this, best one I could find

Offlinedead
grateful
Male User Gallery

Loc: North pole
Re: I'm kinda screwed, my whole house is cold. [Re: Spongiform]
    #9273455 - 11/19/08 05:05 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Did you let the jars cool properly before inoculation?
Did you sterilize your jars properly?
Did you inoculate in a glovebox?
Did you get the spores from a Shroomery sponsor?
If you made your own syringe, did you do it in sterile conditions?
Did you flame-sterilize the needle before each inoculation?

--------------------
"The third eye. You spend years doing everything you can to open it and then the damn thing opens and your friends laugh at you when you tell them you can see their souls behind their eyes burning like rainbows."

Links:
:regularshroom:Nibin's Guide for Noobs
:regularshroom:some easy teks on bulk & grain prep. (my journal)

OfflineGojira45
Armchair Explorer

Loc: Travelling Without Moving
    #9273513 - 11/19/08 05:16 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

ArthurSalenez said:
Thanks for the info guys. Really appreciate the help

http://www.presentsforyou.com/hp01rbconair.html?ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=HP01RB

I got this, best one I could find

Chances are something else got screwed up. My basement isn't above 70F in the winter & I don't have a problem.

In case you are freaked, I've used one of the tub in tub water incubators- you just fill a tub with water, put an aquarium heater in the bottom & then your tub with jars on the top. Keep the lid ajar & set the heater to ~75F. I use it not to heat as much as to stabilize the temperature... but I haven't used it in a while anyways.

--------------------
"The theft of the seals and the possibility of a Planet X really point to everything we are doing as humans.

It was all set up. Were doing the same thing Hitler did with artifacts and knowledge about hollow earth.

Everthing points to hollow earth and that ultimitaly points to planet X." 

Offlinebackintheriver
Male User Gallery

Re: I'm kinda screwed, my whole house is cold. [Re: Gojira45]
    #9273690 - 11/19/08 05:46 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

just put them in your house on your fridge. why would they be in your garage?

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Re: I'm kinda screwed, my whole house is cold. [Re: backintheriver]
    #9273752 - 11/19/08 05:57 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Explainer your procedures exactly and where you got your spores from.

Like others have said, at 70f you still should have fully colinised substrate.

Nothing at all signals something else is the fault, not temperature.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

Offlinealkylbenzene23
Indeed
 User Gallery

#9273911 - 11/19/08 06:31 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

ArthurSalenez said:
Quote:

ROGER5676 said:

Wow, my jars can't colonize for crap. I'm starting to wonder if I'm doing something wrong. I have nightmares about it unfortunately, like I'll never get that white celly web of glory. I feel like growing shrooms is impossible.

Dude if you have nightmares about your jars, what about the feds.

--------------------
If you try to lick your cat while tripping, and they bite you, are you even?

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures