Home | Community | Message Board

DoubleBlind - Learn to Grow Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon Peat, Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinepsmurf9966
Stranger
should i start over or is there a way to fix whats broken?
    #9269262 - 11/18/08 11:36 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

HELP!

About a 8 or so days ago, someone stepped on the Tupperware container (66 qt) where we cased out shrooms. It was in a dark cycle, I was trying to get it to pin a bit more, waiting for it to reach the top before I started fruiting. The shrooms, cased in perlite and peat moss, flew into the air, landed back in the container and broke apart. The thin layer of perlite on the bottom is no basically all on top of the  casing.
There may not be too much perlite on the top but my casing seems pretty dry regardless of all the times i give it moisture by steaming the room. This is probably because of the perlite absorbing the water from the air and out of the casing, Im not above picking off bit of excess perlite as possible.
So with all this, after about a week, is there anything I can do to restart growth? Or is it too late?
Ive just tried to give it optimal conditions for growth but it doesnt seem to be working, are there any suggestions on what I could do to revive these shrooms?
All help is greatly appreciated.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineCosmicFunGuy
ॐconsciousnessॐ
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ∞
Re: should i start over or is there a way to fix whats broken? [Re: psmurf9966]
    #9269360 - 11/18/08 11:50 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

how does one step on a 66 quart tupperware container?

were they climbing on it? how do they go flying in the air if they are being stepped on? i'm confused.

you said shrooms went flying through the air.. if there were mushrooms on the cake and they haven't done anything for a week they likely won't grow more, but you say you hadn't started fruiting so no shrooms went flying in the air, but rather the cased substrate did...

Quote:

psmurf9966 said:
The thin layer of perlite on the bottom is no basically all on top of the  casing.

what? :confused:

you said cased in peat and perlite, sounds like trouble. you sure you're talking about a casing?

if you could please, explain the setup better...

was it smaller casings trays inside a larger tub filled with perlite at the bottom for humidity?

was it a 66 qt monotub?

pics?

my guess is that given the appropriate attention if you have a colonized substrate you can still get fruits, but we need info, it soudns like you may need to make changes if you really cased with perlite..

--------------------

♫ ♪ In the garden of many fields, there is no me or you. There is no right or wrong. There is no up or down. There is no black or white. Everyone is the plow man. Everyone is the seed. Everyone harvests and everyone yields. In the garden of many fields, everyone is one with one love and one love is one with everyone. ♪ ♫
lyrics from: Transglobal Underground - Eyeway Souljah (from Psychic Karaoke)

InvisibleR10tGuNn3r

Re: should i start over or is there a way to fix whats broken? [Re: CosmicFunGuy]
    #9269386 - 11/18/08 11:53 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

:werd:

OfflineThe shroomy 1S
Luminous beings surround me
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Aether
Trusted Cultivator
    #9269444 - 11/19/08 12:01 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

psmurf9966 said:
HELP!

About a 8 or so days ago, someone stepped on the Tupperware container (66 qt) where we cased out shrooms. It was in a dark cycle, I was trying to get it to pin a bit more, waiting for it to reach the top before I started fruiting. The shrooms, cased in perlite and peat moss, flew into the air, landed back in the container and broke apart. The thin layer of perlite on the bottom is no basically all on top of the  casing.
There may not be too much perlite on the top but my casing seems pretty dry regardless of all the times i give it moisture by steaming the room. This is probably because of the perlite absorbing the water from the air and out of the casing, Im not above picking off bit of excess perlite as possible.
So with all this, after about a week, is there anything I can do to restart growth? Or is it too late?
Ive just tried to give it optimal conditions for growth but it doesnt seem to be working, are there any suggestions on what I could do to revive these shrooms?
All help is greatly appreciated.

I don't even know where to begin......  I thought TAHOE was back in these forums.  He would know how to answer this one.:grin: 

The Shroomy 1

--------------------

AMU Q&A thread.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: upstate NY, USA
Trusted Cultivator
Re: should i start over or is there a way to fix whats broken? [Re: R10tGuNn3r]
    #9269448 - 11/19/08 12:02 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

If it was knitting together before it got kicked, it will probably recover.

However, perlite is not a casing material.  It also doesn't 'absorb' moisture.

You don't moisten a casing layer by 'steaming the room'.  You want your mushroom project in a 90% or greater humidity, but moisture comes from misting the substrate or casing.

Next time, a combination of buffered peat moss and vermiculite will work much better.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineThe shroomy 1S
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: should i start over or is there a way to fix whats broken? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #9269498 - 11/19/08 12:08 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
If it was knitting together before it got kicked, it will probably recover.

You don't moisten a casing layer by 'steaming the room'.  You want your mushroom project in a 90% or greater humidity, but moisture comes from misting the substrate or casing.

Next time, a combination of buffered peat moss and vermiculite will work much better.
RR

:bowdown:  You never cease to amaze me.  Some nights, I just don't have the patience.  I guess that's when I should just "Log Off"

The Shroomy 1

--------------------

AMU Q&A thread.

Invisibleblood4blood
Calmer Than You Are

Loc: The Valley
Re: should i start over or is there a way to fix whats broken? [Re: The shroomy 1]
    #9269543 - 11/19/08 12:14 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

haha, yea.  i looked at this one and thought the same thing.

InvisibleR10tGuNn3r

Re: should i start over or is there a way to fix whats broken? [Re: The shroomy 1]
    #9269579 - 11/19/08 12:22 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

theres just so much wrong with that.. move it so it cannot be kicked anymore.. if it was pinning you should be fine.. and if you havent already.. make sure that the side that was pinning is still on top.. flip it back over if you have to.. i have knocked over a cake before and knocked all of the pins off of it.. and it continued to fruit.. but kicking it is something else.. i would assume that you meant vermiculite when you said perilite.. but if not you might want to go read up on your teks again..

by the way.. usually light and fresh air causes them to pin.. fan it.. and definitely mist it instead of steaming the room.. the room isnt as sterile as your container and the last thing you want is to start some type of mold culture in the room you grow your shrooms in..

Offlinepsmurf9966
Stranger
Re: should i start over or is there a way to fix whats broken? [Re: CosmicFunGuy]
    #9271939 - 11/19/08 02:10 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

i didnt wanna write a whole 2 pages explaining all the details intricately, but if i must explain it further:
the drunken fool who stepped on it wandered off, was trying to step over the tub instead of just walking around it, stepped on the edge of the tub (not the actual cake, just on one of the sides of the tub), the casing flung up, kind of catapulted, and crashed back down and broke apart.

Regarding the perlite, i put a thin layer on the bottom to help keep humidity around 100%, and threw in a little bit of the perlite with the peat moss when i cased the cakes. i was trying to get vermiculite, but there wasn't any at the home depot, and the kid working there guessed right suggesting i was growing some caps, so he suggested i use perlite and explained that it is essentially the same thing, its just used to keep moisture.
and yes, i have been misting along with steaming.

OfflineThe shroomy 1S
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #9271957 - 11/19/08 02:15 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Wow, that makes much more sense!  Although, with that being know.  I think RogerRabbit summed it up for you.

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:  If it was knitting together before it got kicked, it will probably recover.

RR

The Shroomy 1

--------------------

AMU Q&A thread.

OfflineCosmicFunGuy
ॐconsciousnessॐ
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9271975 - 11/19/08 02:20 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

okay...

that makes a bit more sense...

a broken substrate will fruit fine and yes you probably can fix it...

first is the perlite on the bottom touching the substrate? if so remove the substrate from the tub and rinse off the perlite under lightly running water or in a big tubs of water (clean water). If your substrate is in fact fully colonized which it sounds like yours should be, it'll handle the submersion or running water just fine.

second you need to change the casing
rinse that perlite/peat mix off... perlite and vermiculite are not essentially the same thing but i wouldn't expect a guy at lowes to know better. find a grow store, garden center, nursery, hell even some wally worlds... find vermiculite it's water you're after...

now, put the broken pieces back in place hopefully close to how it originally looked. make your peat and verm mix and just case the top...

wait a couple days for it to poke through the casing, then patch and fruit....

IMO this would be the course of action to take with what you've told us...  your damage may or may not be worse than what i'm picturing.

--------------------

♫ ♪ In the garden of many fields, there is no me or you. There is no right or wrong. There is no up or down. There is no black or white. Everyone is the plow man. Everyone is the seed. Everyone harvests and everyone yields. In the garden of many fields, everyone is one with one love and one love is one with everyone. ♪ ♫

InvisibleR10tGuNn3r

#9273263 - 11/19/08 06:33 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

CosmicFunGuy said:
okay...

first is the perlite on the bottom touching the substrate? if so remove the substrate from the tub and rinse off the perlite under lightly running water or in a big tubs of water (clean water). If your substrate is in fact fully colonized which it sounds like yours should be, it'll handle the submersion or running water just fine.

rinse that perlite/peat mix off... perlite and vermiculite are not essentially the same thing but i wouldn't expect a guy at lowes to know better. find a grow store, garden center, nursery, hell even some wally worlds... find vermiculite it's water you're after...

now, put the broken pieces back in place hopefully close to how it originally looked. make your peat and verm mix and just case the top...

IMO this would be the course of action to take with what you've told us...  your damage may or may not be worse than what i'm picturing.

and finally... beat the shit out of the guy who did this in the first place.  :mob:

OfflineCosmicFunGuy
ॐconsciousnessॐ
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: should i start over or is there a way to fix whats broken? [Re: R10tGuNn3r]
    #9273678 - 11/19/08 07:44 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

R10tGuNn3r said:
Quote:

CosmicFunGuy said:
okay...

and finally... beat the shit out of the guy who did this in the first place.  :mob:

QFT

also keep your grow hidden. if it's where you hang out with your buddies and get drunk shit like this is gonna happen to it. plus only you need to know about it not every person that comes over for a beer...

--------------------

Offlinedead
grateful
Male User Gallery

Loc: North pole
    #9273748 - 11/19/08 07:56 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah, a grow operation is not something you use to brag to your "homies".
Keep it secret, keep it safe!

--------------------
"The third eye. You spend years doing everything you can to open it and then the damn thing opens and your friends laugh at you when you tell them you can see their souls behind their eyes burning like rainbows."

Links:
:regularshroom:Nibin's Guide for Noobs
:regularshroom:some easy teks on bulk & grain prep. (my journal)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon Peat, Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation