Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineKickleM
Wanderer
 User Gallery

Re: Addictiveness of depression [Re: The_Ghost]
    #9267751 - 11/18/08 06:05 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Interesting take, Ghost. I can certainly see that angle.

--------------------
Why shouldn't the truth be stranger than fiction?
Fiction, after all, has to make sense. -- Mark Twain

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

Loc: My Youniverse....
Re: Addictiveness of depression [Re: anyone420]
    #9267834 - 11/18/08 06:16 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

anyone420 said:
What do you think about it ?

If used recreationally (perhaps on weekends), in moderation, and responsibly, you should be good to go....  :thumbup:

>^;;^<

--------------------
I'll be your midnight French Fry....  :naughty:

"The most important things in life that are often ignored, are the things that one cannot see...."

>^;;^<

OfflineNoviseer
Percussion isFree
 User Gallery

Re: Addictiveness of depression [Re: Ego Death]
    #9267985 - 11/18/08 06:35 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Ego Death said:
If your depressed then be happy.

Its strange how we act as if we are nor in control of ourselves anymore.  We need pills and therapy (external instant gratification) instead of doing things ourselves to bring us out of depression such as exorcise and meditation.  It comes down to lack of knowledge, laziness and excuses perpetuated by modern culture.

Depressed people aren't being lazy when they don't exercise.  Lethargy is a significant symptom of depression.  Next time you're depressed see how much you feel like waking up early and going for a brisk run.  It's not as simple as you're making it out to be.

--------------------

InvisibleEgo Death
Justadropofwaterinanendlesssea
 User Gallery

Loc: The War Machine
Re: Addictiveness of depression [Re: Noviseer]
    #9268065 - 11/18/08 06:46 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

How do you know that until you choose to go out for the run?

You can say "I'm depressed so I'm lethargic" but that doesn't mean that you have no choice of your actions.

Act to change you emotion.  Sow the seeds and you shall reap the rewards.

--------------------

Offlinekriminalelement
"jesus wept."
Female User Gallery

Loc: Ay! los popos estan aqui!
    #9268085 - 11/18/08 06:48 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

OP:

I'd say if you haven't been depressed, you probably don't know. My experience with depression is that it is addictive, but the word "depressed" is a misnomer. It begins in sadness, but it quickly becomes something else. A depressed person is not sad. They do not feel anything at all. Their mind obsesses over negative events. The rage is constant.

It would be nice to be able to even feel sadness at my lowest moments, but unfortunately that is not how depression works. If you spend too long dwelling on negative emotion, you lose the ability to feel anything but a profound coldness. It's addictive in the sense that your mind becomes convinced that to feel any emotion at all is somehow "fake", that happiness is naive and incongruent with reality. By extension, so is sadness.

--------------------
While there is a lower class, I am in it
While there is a criminal element, I am of it
While there is a soul in prison, I am not free.

Eugene V Debs

InvisibleEgo Death
 User Gallery

#9268124 - 11/18/08 06:55 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

anyone420 said:
Oh hardly depressed, simply curious.  Asking ourselves these questions is probably the best way i can think of to overcome such an experience. 

Seems kinda foolish to say "be happy".  Unbeknownst to you, human emotions are not entirely controllable for most.  Would you simply choose to not cry or feel sadness, if you saw your mother executed on her knees?  Or are you simply lazy for shedding tears?

Don't take my words as a personal attack.

If I saw my mother slaughtered I would experience grief and anger as an interpretation of the violent loss of my mother.  However, thats my choice to feel that on how I interpret the situation albeit a necessary phase for a compassionate human.

Depression is a different matter none the less.  Your emotions don't rule you.  You rule your emotions.  Thats all I'm saying.  If you choose to perpetuate your depression then the obvious outcome will occur - you become more depressed.

You can take a drug/therapy to change your depression or you can act yourself to change you depression with positive thinking and positive behaviour instead of seeking something outside yourself to change it for you.

I just see so many people in a state of self admitted perpetual depression.  The way out is for them to change it themselves not look to exterior things to change it.  Positive thinking, exorcise to release the bodies own positive emotions are IMO the best way of doing this.

Theres also a huge lack of understanding of this in todays world.  We exist in a world where instant gratification is widely accepted as the answer to everything.

Offlinekriminalelement
"jesus wept."
Female User Gallery

Loc: Ay! los popos estan aqui!
    #9268159 - 11/18/08 07:01 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Well said ego death.

I've taken meds for depression. They make me very sad, then they make me euphoric, then a month later manic, then a month later I slip into a state of permanent rage and suicidal thought. Meds def. are not a permanent answer.

Quote:

Seems kinda foolish to say "be happy".  Unbeknownst to you, human emotions are not entirely controllable for most.  Would you simply choose to not cry or feel sadness, if you saw your mother executed on her knees?  Or are you simply lazy for shedding tears?

Actually all you can do is say "I'm going to be happy. I am NOT going to be negative." That is literally all that can be done. And it works. There's plenty of ways to trick yourself. I spend time with my cat. It's impossible to be sad around a cat.

Edit: Human emotions are TOTALLY controllable. Most people just don't have enough faith in themselves to realize it.

Emotion is easily manipulated by other people, and just as simply manipulated by the self. Until you realize this you will never be in control of yourself.

--------------------
While there is a lower class, I am in it
While there is a criminal element, I am of it
While there is a soul in prison, I am not free.

Eugene V Debs

Edited by kriminalelement (11/18/08 07:02 PM)

Offlinewindhoney
Stranger
Female

Loc: United States
    #9274976 - 11/19/08 09:06 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Ego Death said:
Depression is a different matter none the less.  Your emotions don't rule you.  You rule your emotions.  Thats all I'm saying.  If you choose to perpetuate your depression then the obvious outcome will occur - you become more depressed.

You can take a drug/therapy to change your depression or you can act yourself to change you depression with positive thinking and positive behaviour instead of seeking something outside yourself to change it for you.

I just see so many people in a state of self admitted perpetual depression.  The way out is for them to change it themselves not look to exterior things to change it.  Positive thinking, exorcise to release the bodies own positive emotions are IMO the best way of doing this.

Theres also a huge lack of understanding of this in todays world.  We exist in a world where instant gratification is widely accepted as the answer to everything.

I wish depression was as easy as just controlling your emotions, but it's not. While I agree that when depressed, exercising is one of the best things you can do to improve your mood, it's often hard to even get up.

InvisibleEgo Death
 User Gallery

Re: Addictiveness of depression [Re: windhoney]
    #9276868 - 11/20/08 04:50 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

So now you can't control your body either?

I've had depression I know what your referring to.  It is still up to ypu to get out of that bed and get outside and run.

You have to break the self perpetuated cycle.

A few thousand years ago people had no time to be depressed - they had to get on with life (gathering food, reoaring the house, looking after the animals) or die.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale