Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleimnotthere
what is this on my uncased bulk tray??? its not trich, but similar.... please help
    #9250012 - 11/15/08 03:39 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

its not the green trich which I have seen before... Out of 8 trays like this, I lost 6 to this stuff before full colonization when spawning 3 qts rye to hpoo/coir/verm substrate.  I thought my last 2 were okay, but then this happened on one of them prior to fruiting.  There are pins on the opposite side of the tray in that picture... its about time for it to be pinning like crazy, but what is this contaminant?

How can I avoid this?  I pasteurized properly, but because I did the boiling water bath with large, full ziploc bags, its possible the outer parts of the bags got too hot while the insides reached 160F... all I can think of is that I got too hot during past.... I have now lost probably 7 out of 8 bulk trays like this.  I did alot thinking I'd lose a couple, but almost all of them!

I poured some peroxide directly on this contam - it sizzled but did not dissapear - these pictures were taken after I literally drowned it in peroxide, to no effect.

All I can think to avoid this in the future is to up my spawn ratio.  With 3 qts in a 12qt tray, the rest was hpoo/coir/verm mixture, at 2 weeks it still wasn't colonized 100%, and that is exactly when this unknown contaminant set in... I need to get my bulk runs down to 7 days to avoid contaminants in my situation.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineThe shroomy 1
Luminous beings surround me
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Aether
Trusted Cultivator
Re: what is this on my uncased bulk tray??? its not trich, but similar.... please help [Re: imnotthere]
    #9250416 - 11/15/08 04:56 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Very hard to tell with all that peroxide everywhere.  You should have gotten nice close up pics right up on that before your drowned it. 

The Shroomy 1

--------------------

AMU Q&A thread.

OfflineThe shroomy 1
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: what is this on my uncased bulk tray??? its not trich, but similar.... please help [Re: The shroomy 1]
    #9250427 - 11/15/08 04:58 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

How long has that tub been colonizing?

The Shroomy 1

--------------------

AMU Q&A thread.

Invisibleimnotthere
Re: what is this on my uncased bulk tray??? its not trich, but similar.... please help [Re: The shroomy 1]
    #9250443 - 11/15/08 05:03 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

that tub there colonized too long, over 2 weeks, then into fruiting conditions where it has been for a good 5 or 6 days.

as for the peroxide, it really looked about the same prior to dousing.

OfflineThe shroomy 1
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: what is this on my uncased bulk tray??? its not trich, but similar.... please help [Re: imnotthere]
    #9250514 - 11/15/08 05:20 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Man, that's a difficult call.........  Does smell like fresh mushrooms, or does it smell "Earth"  With that amount of growth, it should be smelling like something.

The Shroomy 1

--------------------

AMU Q&A thread.

OfflineBrennus
Student of Life
Male User Gallery

Loc: SE United States Flag
    #9250520 - 11/15/08 05:22 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Trich can have a scaly appearance before it sporulates and turns green.

OfflineThe shroomy 1
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: what is this on my uncased bulk tray??? its not trich, but similar.... please help [Re: Brennus]
    #9250569 - 11/15/08 05:32 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Brennus said:
Trich can have a scaly appearance before it sporulates and turns green.

Yes it can, but what intrigues me is that it's been colonizing for over 2 weeks and been in fruiting conditions for 6 days.  Trich would/should have produced spores in that amount of time with either of those conditions!  That kind of leads me to think that it's just aggressive Tomentose growth, but then I look at how many areas have not colonized and then I go back to thinking those areas are contaminated.  I wish I could stick my nose a little closer to take a whiff.  LOL!

The Shroomy 1

--------------------

AMU Q&A thread.

Invisibleimnotthere
Re: what is this on my uncased bulk tray??? its not trich, but similar.... please help [Re: Brennus]
    #9250605 - 11/15/08 05:41 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

it smells like healthy earthy mushroom smell.  The thing is pretty much fully colonized... even the contaminant part is colonized... and I smelled that part, but no distinctive bad smell.  I don't think I could smell the contaminant, all I smell is mushroom goodness, as it is the majority of the tray - but my nose really isn't very good.  I use my girlfriends nose for sniffin, but she wasn't here.

I am most sure it is some kind of contaminant.  I know this because it is the same contaminant as all of the other 6 tubs I lost.  This one had it set in already, just not as much and not visibly, so I fruited it, then the contaminant showed up.  It looks a little different than the 6 I pitched, but only because of the slightly different scenarios (spawn run vs. fruiting).  I beleive it to be the same contaminant as all the other 6.  I won't be surprised at all if the last 1 remaining tubs (fingers crossed) gets it too.  It looks good now, but shit 7 out of 8 are dead...

I can't explain how frustrated I am getting.  Getting this bulk thing down is tough for me for some reason.  Am I using too little spawn?

How many quarts would you suggest to spawn into one of these famous 12qt sweater boxes lots of people use, at a depth of around 4 inches.  I am thinking I might use 5 next time, and hopefully have like a 5 or 6 day spawn run to avoid a mega loss like this one.

Invisibleimnotthere
    #9250633 - 11/15/08 05:46 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I am very sure it is a contamination.  I dug a little into it after isolating and before composting it.  It definitly had some green underneath the seemingly white growth....  and the 6 I pitched after spawn run - those were a little green too.  BUT not the classic trich green I have seen in many pictures and like once or twice in person.  It is duller, and greyish green.

I thought it was cobweb originally because of the greyness... but peroxide did nothing then on those 6 and it did nothing now on the one pictured...

I really appreciate you helping me with this by the way... I grew some successfully last spring... but this fall I tried again here and not one success!

Crazy part is I am having more success with edibles on sawdust currently then this shit which is suppose to be easy!  I feel like a retard that I can't get this shit working lol :crazy:

Invisibleimnotthere
    #9250652 - 11/15/08 05:50 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

happy 2400th post.  A very important number for many reasons.  I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!:eek::crazy2: :wowz:  :whack:

OfflineGojira45
Armchair Explorer

Loc: Travelling Without Moving
    #9252435 - 11/15/08 10:35 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

If it's any consolation, I just lost two trays to this exactly. Started out as a while growth while in fruiting conditions and just kinda sat there for about a week. One day it had a green tinge to it & *yank* it was out. On composting I noticed a lot of green growth down the sides of the tray & on the side of the substrate block.

Sucks, but kinda the price of doing business. I'm using a PMP with open air venting, and I'm thinking of filtering those with polyfil. I went all summer with no contams & now 2 of 4 trays got this... I kinda chocked it up to seasonal molds...

--------------------
"The theft of the seals and the possibility of a Planet X really point to everything we are doing as humans.

It was all set up. Were doing the same thing Hitler did with artifacts and knowledge about hollow earth.

Everthing points to hollow earth and that ultimitaly points to planet X." 

OfflineThe shroomy 1
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #9252618 - 11/15/08 11:14 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

imnotthere said:
happy 2400th post.  A very important number for many reasons.  I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!:eek::crazy2: :wowz:  :whack:

LOL, what is the significance of 2400?  Man, I am so sorry that it truly ended up being contamination.  Use that same camera to take pictures of what you are seeing!  The sections, the green/grey colors.  I promise, it will prove to be useful in the future.  Document, document, document.  In order for you to be a great winner, you have to be a good looser. With that being said, STUDY THE ENEMY.

The Shroomy 1

--------------------

AMU Q&A thread.

Invisibleimnotthere
    #9254523 - 11/16/08 11:44 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

thanks for the advice, much appreciated.  I've been reading that pasteurization basically gives you a 2 week window, just enough time to fully colonize your substrate (or should be enough time).  The fact that mine contaminated just past the 2 week mark, tells me that perhaps my pasteurization method was okay, just too little spawn or moisture content was off.  I got to get those colonization times down to 7-10 days...

I'm gonna up my spawn from 3 qts to 5 qts, and be a little more meticulous with my field capacity, and probably switch to jars while pasteurizing to take advantage of the thermal heat glass produces - more even pasteurization perhaps..?

Hopefully this will solve my problem - it feels good to at least have some clue as to why I had such an epic failure.  Back to the drawing boards with it!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder