Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblemantid
mycelium runner

Loc: oregon coast
hunting on private land?
    #9248630 - 11/15/08 11:22 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Sortof a weird, nebulous question:

I live 10 miles up a pretty remote road.  Its mostly small farms, though the road is popular with bicyclists and tourists. 

A few days ago around dusk I saw two unrecognized vehicles pulled over on the side of the road (yes you learn your neighbors cars out here).  In the middle of a pasture were two young men crouched and looking at the ground as the evening mists came rolling through.  Of course, my initial thought was "liberty caps" but it started to get me thinking as time went on...  What else could they possibly be hunting?  Knowing the ultra-conservative 90 year old owner of the land, I doubt they had permission, but you never know.  Why would they so boldly park right next to the road, and right where they were hunting?  Stupidity?  Laziness?  Or is it just not a big deal?  I was really wanting to stop to talk to them; I am very curious to know if they were having success!

So I was just generally wondering for a couple days about their bold approach.  Then, yesterday I saw a different couple out there, with 5 gallon buckets.  They looked more or less "straight", that is they weren't wearing flamboyant knit caps etc like the first dudes were.  This looked to be a couple in their 50s, one was staring at the ground and the other was crouched down.  They were in almost exactly the same spot.

So:

1) Is there anything other than actives they would be looking for?
2) Isn't this rather unethical/mildly dangerous (given the privacy and gun attitudes of people around here)

I guess I just feel like I am missing something... since I would not do this.  For those of you who trespass onto pasture to hunt, wouldn't you park your car a ways away (there are fishing access spots etc within a mile)?  Wouldn't you wait until later at night or very early morning?  Am I overreacting?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
Re: hunting on private land? [Re: mantid]
    #9248669 - 11/15/08 11:28 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

aside from the possibility that they actually had permission, they might very well have assumed nobody would notice, if they didn't know where the homes in that area where, or likewise that nobody would mind. it's not so uncommon.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

OfflineWeilii Nelson
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: hunting on private land? [Re: canid]
    #9250326 - 11/15/08 04:38 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

sounds like you have the makings of a good episode of unsolved mysteries on your hands... contact Robert Stack

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
Re: hunting on private land? [Re: Weilii Nelson]
    #9250388 - 11/15/08 04:50 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

maybe they where making crop cicrles. well, uhm... pasture circles. yeah, that must be it.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: hunting on private land? [Re: mantid]
    #9250399 - 11/15/08 04:53 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Next time go talk to them, they are probably cool.

OfflineEvets
Stranger
Male
Loc: Midwest
    #9250460 - 11/15/08 05:08 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

he died, and so did unsolved mysteries

dennis farina doesnt match up

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Loc: Registered: 6/04/02
Re: hunting on private land? [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #9251217 - 11/15/08 07:14 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Alan Rockefeller said:
Next time go talk to them, they are probably cool.

That is exactly what I do if I notice something odd in the forest.  Two weeks ago I found several people in the forest just "hanging out."  One guy was black and dressed very nice.  In our area we don't get that very often in the forest, either black or well-dressed.  So I wandered over directly to them, got about 50 feet away, and noticed they were doing some kind of photo shoot using the Autumn scenery as a backdrop.

In the summer I noticed some guys and girls in their 20's and teens walking out of the woods together very solemnly kinda like a procession.  The head guy was carrying a towel.  So I went over and asked if everything was ok.  It wasn't.  They were carrying a dead cat and a few of them were crying.

But the weirdest thing of all was during Halloween.  I came across some weird shit with no explanation.  When I get time, I'll create a thread on it.  It was this.

Um, yeah.  Nothing like a little freakish ceremony site to spark your day.  :rolleyes:

Oh and yeah, they painted the trees really nice.  :smirk:

To the OP:

What do I do or what do I think?  It all depends.  I hunt all fashions.  If the mushroom is worth it to me I stop at nothing to get it.  That would include everything from straight-up asking permission to trespassing and risk getting caught.  Once this year I could find the owners home until it was too late to ask.  I parked my car a mile away where it couldn't be seen or guessed at what I was doing, donned my ninja outfit (black hoodie, black jeans, etc) and went for a midnight walk to gank them.  The mushrooms weren't active either.

:ninja:

--------------------

OfflineWeilii Nelson
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: hunting on private land? [Re: Mr. Mushrooms]
    #9251407 - 11/15/08 07:42 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Hongos, those pictures resemble cult activity... I saw something similar to that out in the middle of nowhere once, near alabama. (weird people in alabama) it was some sort of bonfire gathering at like 2 in the morning with a bunch of old people, I'm pretty sure it was some sort of KKK gathering or something that nature. the KKK is definitely still around down here rural parts of the south.

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

#9251463 - 11/15/08 07:50 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah, thanks.  In a way I don't mind, but in another way I do.  These freakazoids seem like the type who might pick my mushrooms dammit!

:lol:

--------------------

OfflineBeege
gatherer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Germany Flag
    #9251477 - 11/15/08 07:52 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Weilii Nelson said:
Hongos, those pictures resemble cult activity... I saw something similar to that out in the middle of nowhere once, near alabama. (weird people in alabama) it was some sort of bonfire gathering at like 2 in the morning with a bunch of old people, I'm pretty sure it was some sort of KKK gathering or something that nature. the KKK is definitely still around down here rural parts of the south.

It is in florida as well :rolleyes: Buncha dumb rednecks if you ask me.

--------------------

OfflineWeilii Nelson
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: hunting on private land? [Re: Beege]
    #9252526 - 11/15/08 10:53 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

yea, just a bunch of haters

OfflineN2loma
Foaming Pipe Snake
Male User Gallery

#9253815 - 11/16/08 07:46 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I found an MS13 gathering spot in local woods last year while hunting mushrooms :eek: Idiots actually spray-painted several trees with "MS13." The place wasn't nearly as neat as the ceremonial place (?) above.

Perhaps that's a neo-Pagan/Wiccan setup for Halloween/Samhain celebrations?

--------------------
"So can you tell me what exactly does freedom mean/
If I'm not free to be as twisted as I wanna be" -Divide by Disturbed

Good Guitars Don't Cry

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Re: hunting on private land? [Re: N2loma]
    #9253866 - 11/16/08 08:10 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Coulda been, N2.  As soon as I get the chance I'll create the thread.

MS13?  Nice.  Hongos, eh?

--------------------

Offlineplantation
Shroom connoisseur
 User Gallery

Re: hunting on private land? [Re: Mr. Mushrooms]
    #9253940 - 11/16/08 08:47 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

ayyy watch out for that farmer!

--------------------

Offlinecube talk
Stranger

Re: hunting on private land? [Re: plantation]
    #9254209 - 11/16/08 10:22 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

sounds like some dumbasses if you ask me..

I use to be the same way when i first started picking. Damn I did some dumb sh*t.

I remember the very first time we went picking we came up with the ... "well it's faster if we just drive around on the field that we don't have permission to be on rather then walking." Yeah, he got in the back of the truck and scanned while I drove. Long story short - we were run down by 4 rednecks in a big 4 wheel drive ford with all 4 of them getting out with high powered rifles... Also had the first and best trip of my life that night. Wouldn't trade it for hardly anything.

Now, I never go unarmed out into a field.

--------------------

OfflineEamonndoran1
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: hunting on private land? [Re: cube talk]
    #9254232 - 11/16/08 10:30 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I always hunt on private property. Just be mindful and respectful.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom