Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblemeatman
Goner
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Underwater Lake
soaking grains
    #925081 - 10/02/02 01:39 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

i've read that some people soak grains for 12hrs, drain, rinse, and drain again, then load back into jar and pc for 1hr. I've also read to just soak for 12 hrs, then pc for 1hr. i see these methods' results being completely different.. what gives? is it basically the same thing?

--------------------
"I don't do drugs. I am drugs." -Dali
Everything I post is a complete fabrication made for your entertainment.

Edited by meatman (10/02/02 01:53 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinecomario2
amateur

Loc: between places
Re: soaking grains [Re: meatman]
    #925159 - 10/02/02 02:14 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

i don't really see the difference between the two methods you indicate. the soaking is supposed to activate some of the grain's endogenous bacteria, so that they will be easier to terminate by pc. another method, which i prefer, provides instead for simmering the grain fro 30 mins, then drain then load in jar/bag for pc. there is a ton of info on this topic

--------------------
comario

"crusaders against emotional poverty"

Offlinebowling-name
sleuth

Loc: Mirror in the Sky
    #925162 - 10/02/02 02:17 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

The purpose of soaking is to encourage any endospores that are dormant in the grain to germinate, insuring you kill all of them when you pc. This will be accomplished whether you drain them or not.

Rinsing and draining cleans off the residue that sometimes builds up in the grain when you soak. I don't think it is necessary to wash this off, but some people say this substance makes the grain stick together more and thus takes more time to colonize (because of a decrease in points of innoculation). Wether you rinse and drain a second time could also have to do with achieving the proper water content in the grain.

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
    #925163 - 10/02/02 02:17 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

If you do not rinse of the starchy crap after a soak, it clumps.

A good draining removes some excess water. To get the miosture content somewhere between 40 & 60 %. Over 60% & you have an excess moisture problem that usualy leads to a bacterial contam.

6T

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
    #925207 - 10/02/02 02:38 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

6T offers great advice , listen to him .
I on the other hand , not trying to be contradictive , did not soak or rinse mine and all worked out fine .
Good Luck :cool: 

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

Invisiblemeatman
Goner
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: soaking grains [Re: SixTango]
    #925229 - 10/02/02 02:45 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

so you're saying that after soaking you should rinse n drain then load back up? it doesn't need to be soaked again does it? i really have no way to determine moisture content. thanks guys.

--------------------

Edited by meatman (10/02/02 02:48 PM)

Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
    #925253 - 10/02/02 02:56 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Soak in water .
Drain
Rinse
Pressure cook
Done .
In that order I believe .
Good Luck :cool:

Here is recipe to try
In half pint jars , put 1/4 cup of milo/millet mix , put in 35ml distilled water , pc or ac for 50 min @ 250*F 15psi , let sit till cool enough to shake , wait till room temp then innoculate with fav method . :cool:

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

Offlinecomario2
amateur

Loc: between places
    #925256 - 10/02/02 02:57 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

i guess there is some confusion here: "load BACK' ? no simply load in the jar after soaking and rinsing. so just to be clear: soak all the grain you're going to use in a large bowl, making sure that the grain is 1 or 2 " underwater (distilled much better than tap). check it every once and a while while soaking, you may have to add more water if the grain has absorbed a lot and the grain is no longer well submerged. after 12-24 hrs dump in a colander, rinse well under running water (tap ok), leave draining in the colander for 15-20 ms. at this point, scoop out and load your jars.

--------------------
comario

"crusaders against emotional poverty"

Invisiblemeatman
Goner
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: soaking grains [Re: comario2]
    #925293 - 10/02/02 03:10 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

thank you so much everyone! i am having problems and i think it's because of moisture content. keep gettin green. if anything comes of my millet, i owe it all to each and every one of you :smile: thanks again

-meatman

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order