Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!
Agar based on manure water. (i.e. replace water with manure extract when making agar) -> Liquid innoculant based on manure water. -> Large bags of manure -> casing with vermiculite -> A bunch of Pan. Trop's with quarter sized caps. (Ryche's straing)
To make the manure extract just soak it in hot water for a couple hours, and then take that water and replace it with water in the making of both agar, and liquid innoculant.
Manure!=store bought. Go into a field and get it yourself. All my experiments with store bough failed miserably... why? Because it didn't have real straw in it, probably, it had all been finely screened.
we started once from rye-grain spawn directly on past. cowdung (super) once from millet...(contam),,,,horsedung got cobwebmold...direct from petridishes small chuncks on cowdung which also worked fine...the spores direct on sterilized manure i never tried...but i will...
I got one more question for you... well 2 actually..
1. Do you process your manure in any way, ie pasteurize, sterilize, etc.
2. Why do you think the liquid works when you use manure water? My guess is that you are training the mycelium... Stamets mentions something like this in GGMM... The big vats of liquid innoculant contain some of the future substrate, so as to prepare them... I wonder if the manure water gives an advantage to strains capable of growing on the manure easily. Hmmm. I will have to check this out...
Spores (spore syringe) germinate fine on a sterilized horse manure/ vermiculite substrate. Cow shit is a reasonable substitute for horse, just not as nutritious, and it smells worse while pressure cooking. Pans germinate and grow quickly on manure, 1/2 pints colonize in 12 days average. Once you have fruits, Pans clone easily using blended mycelium syringes. The only difficulty is working with the very skinny stems. Avoid the temptation to "enrich" the manure/vermiculite with stuff like grain flour. It slows/inhibits fruiting.
Well, I tried pasteurization of manure, but just found that it was altogether not working. I went to pressure cooking it (yes I know many will say... what?) and have had zero problems since. And you are DEFINETLY right... training the mycelia for it's final destination. Though with Pan. Trop it seems to be a bit more than that.
This was a very pesky strain for me to grow. I'm used to doing agar transfers without modification with Ps. Cubs when I started working with them. I found much to my chagrine that they really didn't like malt by itself. This took quite a bit of experimenting and quite a few fuck this I'm quiting type of attitudes, but finally I got it. They just want a bit of manure in EVERYTHING... weird, but that's been successful in my work.
I've not be able to get cubes to germinate directly on untreated or pasteurized-in-oven dung, so I was apprehensive about trying it with pans. Agar to dung seems like the safest bet, but since I'm not set up with agar yet, I may try spores into sterile, pasteurized and untreated dung... I'll let you all know what worked best (or didn't). My dung is very grassy, so that may help..