Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Anonymous

Re: Baked potatoes
    #92418 - 02/10/00 05:12 PM (24 years, 1 month ago)

Well actually my tech consisted of putting a potato in a baggie with a plug. Nuked the hell out of it(It glows now...honest)Let it cool and pull the plug. Innoculate with 5 cc's of mycelium water. Replace plug and see what happens. Nice to know that I am not the only insane one here.
If it fruits I'll post the pictures

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMunkyKing
journeyman

Loc: Florida
    #92421 - 02/11/00 04:27 AM (24 years, 1 month ago)

I wonder if you could just make some mashed potatoes (real, not boxed) and put it in a jar for innoculation... and given the hype over the honey bit, maybe sweet potatoes would work better... you know, just dice 'em, boil 'em, mash 'em, put 'em in a couple jars and sterilize 'em. then innoculate. i got some sweet potatoes... maybe i'll give it a try... once i get a print.

i love this stuff! :biggrin:

------------------
I always thought that "Stop, Drop, and Roll" was a way to save your life if you caught on fire, but then I realized my grade school teachers were advocating my later drug use.

Invisiblear393
old timer
Male
Loc: VT
    #92422 - 02/11/00 12:43 PM (24 years, 1 month ago)

as soon as i have some time..im there...when it happens i'll let you guys know.
this will be cool.

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
    #92423 - 02/12/00 04:10 AM (24 years, 1 month ago)

Man, you must have been one baked potato to think this one up.
I'd like to see a side by side idaho/sweet potato experiment. I bet it'll take a while to colonize the dense potato, also I would fully bake it (takes a long ass time to do in the microwave, longer to cool.)
Good luck

------------------
-From a registered Mad Scientist

"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obiwan Kenobi (also a Mad Scientist tm)

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Anonymous

#92424 - 02/12/00 05:58 PM (24 years, 1 month ago)

Well I was getting bored...what can I say. The spud was well nuked and cooled. I had run out of substrate and had 5cc's left over. I can't believe it bit around the innoculation hole there are signs of mycelium growing. If I end up with a spud sprouting a shroom, I will post pictures. It was just a lark but hey you never know right? Stranger things have happened.
Tom

OfflineMunkyKing
journeyman

Loc: Florida
    #92425 - 02/13/00 05:58 AM (24 years, 1 month ago)

okay all you crazies out there... i just finished some crazy shit...

i boiled some diced sweet potatoes (2 med) for about 35 minutes while preparing 1 cup of brown rice. After thinking, I had decided that a potatoe -- while a good source of nutrition -- might not keep moisture very well, especially once mashed. So I thought maybe a little rice (just enough, mind you, to aid in aeration and moisture -- about a quarter of the cooked rice) would help the substrate.

so, i put it all in a gladware tupperware dish and nuked the rest to sterility (hopefully) for eight min; fluffed it with a fork; put sterile foil over it -- which I then filled with a vermiculite seal; and finally put the lid on and waited for it to cool.

meanwhile, actually before mashing the potatoes, I had rinsed them and save the water in another gladware tupperware dish. this was boiled and cooled for sterility as well.

when the time came, i innoculated both with about 10cc of liquid mycelium from a previous honey/water experiment that went very well. i am hoping these two experiments go well too. as a back up, i have two cakes prepaired via the 9er tek that I also innoculated with liquid myc. -- about 5cc each.

so, here goes and lets see... :biggrin:

oh, and my first batch broke its first veil! harvest time just around the corner! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

------------------
I always thought that "Stop, Drop, and Roll" was a way to save your life if you caught on fire, but then I realized my grade school teachers were advocating my later drug use.

Anonymous

#92426 - 02/16/00 08:04 PM (24 years, 1 month ago)

I think airation would be a key issue here, maybe mashed potatoes w/ verm mixed in for moisture and airation would be a better mix...

Anonymous

#92427 - 02/17/00 09:57 AM (24 years, 1 month ago)

Imagine a freshly baked and diced potato.

So long as you get what's called a "baking potato",
you shouldn't have any problems with aeriation.

They're fluffy.

However, the addition of sporewarer
and time may change that, but there's only
one way to find out.

OfflineParanoidSchizoid
Fun Guy With TheFungi
    #638179 - 05/20/02 04:29 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

I'd like to try something with baked potato chips. Maybe lightly soaking them in sterile water(or spraying them) and gently layering them in a tray. You would spread the spawn in between a few layers. I guess if I could find some baked potato chips with no salt or preservatives and get the bed pretty airy, this might work. Yes hurry. The first one to call my idea stupid gets an ounce of cubes.

--------------------
Growing conspiracy
Everyone's after me
Frayed ends of sanity
Hear them calling
Hear them calling me

OfflineParanoidSchizoid
Fun Guy With TheFungi
Re: Baked potatoes [Re: ParanoidSchizoid]
    #638193 - 05/20/02 04:34 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Yes, yes. You could mix the baked potato chips with straw or some other water retaining substrate.

--------------------
Growing conspiracy
Everyone's after me
Frayed ends of sanity
Hear them calling
Hear them calling me

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale