Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTempus950
Stranger
Creating an outdoor bed/ ID request
    #9235934 - 11/13/08 07:30 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I cant seem to find instructions specific to this: Lets say I come across a patch of cyans, and wish to transplant their colony over to another area, and help them succeed until they hopefully fruit the next year. How do I go about it? On yesterday's hunt, I became a bit over eager and ended up pulling a couple cyans out by their bases. Now I'm thinking, rather than let that go to waste, I can nip off the bottoms and plant them somewhere to start a colony near me. Would it work if I merely blended the bottoms of the cyans with some water, and then poured it over a bed of alder wood chips, brown rice flour and vermiculite? Or must I go through the labor intensive process of sterilizing and taking care of it?

Thanks

Edited by Tempus950 (11/13/08 08:27 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleGerman Kahuna
Facepalmer of Stoopid
Male User Gallery

Loc: On a Chemical Vacation
Re: Creating an outdoor bed [Re: Tempus950]
    #9236009 - 11/13/08 08:05 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Why don't you clone a nice specimen in a petri dish and then transfer it to a rye jar? Multiply those and when you have enough jars you transfer the contents to bags with soaked wood chips (the ones you use for smoking stuff). Then you have all it takes to create your own patches where ever it's suitable.

--------------------
"Vegetarian" [ /ˌvedʒəˈteəriən/] - Ancient slang meaning "village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride".

InvisibleLouiseLouise
starstruck
Male User Gallery

Loc: Searching w/my good eye c...
Trusted Identifier
    #9236058 - 11/13/08 08:23 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

That's definitely one way to do it.
Search the site intensively if you're serious. Don't forget to look in the GL&P & Cult. forums, there's a ton of information.
Read about attempts with other species, too >cough< Ps. ovoidocystidiata, there may be clues and nuggets of information to feed your brain.
GL...                                                                      ^every time I type that it's a new form of murder :evil:

--------------------
"That's why you get in close to them, and then take the picture!! Don't be a pussy!" ~CC

OfflineTempus950
Stranger
Re: Creating an outdoor bed [Re: German Kahuna]
    #9236066 - 11/13/08 08:26 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I'm not possessed of the technical know-how, and am reasonably sure I'd screw up something when i attempted this. And where would I go for these items?

But, I just realized this is the hunting forum, and this is not really hunt related. To correct that, here are some images from yesterdays hunt.

SF

If someone could identify the mushroom in the above pictures, it would be nice. They were decently large, about 5 inch cap, 4-6 inch stem. The flesh bruised bright yellow when handled. I'm not sure how to describe the smell, except that it was not unpleasant, and not like ink.

Here is another one I don't know.

Id on the above species would be appreciated too.

And lastly.. cyans? I think they are. But the caps were somewhat less wavy than I'm used to seeing, some had nearly flat margins. I'm pretty sure they're active, just not sure what they are. I've also never seen insects munch away at the gills on psilocybe species until yesterday. These were found in a hardwood (i infer that by the Grey color of the chips) mulched rosebed, growing in a cluster. All of them started turning blue shortly after handling. Some where picked by my overenthusiastic partner who ripped them out, the rest were snipped.

OfflineTempus950
Stranger
    #9236094 - 11/13/08 08:38 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

LouiseLouise: Your talking about full on cultivating them aren't you? I just want to nudge their chances of growing along, not a ton of effort into growing them. The bag idea sounds easier than growing them indoors, I'll have to look into it.

InvisibleGerman Kahuna
Facepalmer of Stoopid
Male User Gallery

#9236128 - 11/13/08 08:47 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

The top look like white Amanita (A. egregia). You should have dug up and photographed the base, too.

[EDIT] Not likely A. egregia, but it does look similar.

--------------------
"Vegetarian" [ /ˌvedʒəˈteəriən/] - Ancient slang meaning "village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride".

Edited by German Kahuna (11/13/08 08:52 AM)

Offlinemushroomhunter10
Jack-Of-All-Trades
Male User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
    #9236133 - 11/13/08 08:48 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

If you use rye seeds then birds might come and pick at your shit until it's damaged...
I would just go straight from the petri dish to small wood chips then mix them with larger ones in the bed.

That's just me though...

--------------------
Imagine if you needed it and it wasn't there... GIVE BLOOD
Get a free (PAINLESS) bone marrow testing kit and help save lives HERE.
Jesus if you're reading this, please come back already. We need you now more than ever!
The U.S. Constitution!

Best WBS Tek
EZ Potato-Honey Agar Tek
MY TRADES

InvisibleGerman Kahuna
Facepalmer of Stoopid
Male User Gallery

Re: Creating an outdoor bed [Re: mushroomhunter10]
    #9236169 - 11/13/08 08:58 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

You reckon they'd do that if you cased the outdoor patch with a layer of pure soaked chips to be left for the mycelium to grow through until it fruits the next fall?
Damn birds. Annoying critters.

--------------------

OfflineTempus950
Stranger
Re: Creating an outdoor bed [Re: German Kahuna]
    #9236197 - 11/13/08 09:04 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I forgot the picture with the base. Don't amanitas have a universal veil? This lacked that, the bottom didn't have any extra features to it, just a large rounded base. I am spore printing right now

InvisibleLouiseLouise
starstruck
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #9236351 - 11/13/08 09:40 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Your mushrooms are an Agaricus species. Probably both are arvensis. Cut them the long way and take note of bruising, particularly at the base. Smell them, too.

The next are cyans, but some of them look pretty funky, as in that one at the top right, and the one at the top left in the last pic. The gills are all ate up :puke:  Be careful about what you eat. Everything should show that blue staining.

I'm not so much into the technicalities. I'm the kind of guy that'll bring a log home and put it in the woods in my backyard. I'm trying this year to get some blewits going, I've transplanted tons of spores and much mycellium, too. The thing is, you don't know what mother nature may do, but the more you try to control it, the more refined your techniques will become.

GL

--------------------
"That's why you get in close to them, and then take the picture!! Don't be a pussy!" ~CC

OfflineTempus950
Stranger
Re: Creating an outdoor bed [Re: LouiseLouise]
    #9236382 - 11/13/08 09:45 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

yeah the gills are all eaten up on a lot of them. The only really toxic species I have to worry about is galerina atumnalis right? I'm going to go over them to make sure they aren't those. I've collected cyans several times before, and I think they all look like them, but it never hurts to check.

InvisibleLouiseLouise
starstruck
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #9236409 - 11/13/08 09:48 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Yes, you need to be careful of what you're chowin down. G. autumnalis would be the highly poisonous look alike, yes, but at the stage some of your mushrooms are at, they could resemble other species at an advanced stage of maturity (cortinarius for example) which may or may not be poisonous.
Just make sure it bruises and is not rotten. The rule of thumb: when in doubt, chuck it out :thumbup:

--------------------

Offlinemushroomhunter10
Jack-Of-All-Trades
Male User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Re: Creating an outdoor bed [Re: LouiseLouise]
    #9236438 - 11/13/08 09:53 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Well I was also stating that the rye isn't really required to simplify the process.

As for the birds... they're pretty savvy when it comes to finding food. They'll even watch in some cases and come in when the coast is clear.

You can use rye or chips. Either way.

--------------------
Imagine if you needed it and it wasn't there... GIVE BLOOD
Get a free (PAINLESS) bone marrow testing kit and help save lives HERE.
Jesus if you're reading this, please come back already. We need you now more than ever!
The U.S. Constitution!

Best WBS Tek
EZ Potato-Honey Agar Tek
MY TRADES

OfflineTempus950
Stranger
Re: Creating an outdoor bed [Re: mushroomhunter10]
    #9236450 - 11/13/08 09:58 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

they are definitely not galerina autumnalis, all the cortinarius species I looked up look way too large to be these. These guys are tiny. And not conocybe filaris either.

OfflineEl Zorro
in heaven
    #9237099 - 11/13/08 12:54 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Search for the cardboard tech.

Some people have had luck with starbucks corrugated insulators.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract