Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinealkylbenzene23
Indeed
 User Gallery

Light intensity
    #9229061 - 11/12/08 08:33 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

How intense do the lights need to be? Its my impression that they only need to be a few watts. So, I could wire up around 8 white LED's to a monotub for its lighting.

--------------------
If you try to lick your cat while tripping, and they bite you, are you even?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinegofudgeyourself
Student
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Light intensity [Re: alkylbenzene23]
    #9229151 - 11/12/08 09:02 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

an old rule of thumb is "if you can see inside your terrarium or bin it's enough light"

ceiling lights are fine, they only need a couple hours of light a day.

--------------------
"believe it if you need it, or leave it if you dare."

"turn all the hate in the world, into a mocking bird. make it fly away" :peace:

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

#9229276 - 11/12/08 09:34 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

No special lighting is needed.
Just the light you already have in the room will be OK

1-2 hours of light a day is sufficient.

Since they don't need light to grow
They only need light to know what direction to grow

--------------------
Live for the moment you are in now
Don't be bogged down by your past
Don't be afraid of what lies in your future

Offlinedead
grateful
Male User Gallery

Loc: North pole
Re: Light intensity [Re: niteowl]
    #9229501 - 11/12/08 10:25 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Light in the range of 5000K-7000K colour temperature is ideal for pinning and growth.

--------------------
"The third eye. You spend years doing everything you can to open it and then the damn thing opens and your friends laugh at you when you tell them you can see their souls behind their eyes burning like rainbows."

Links:
:regularshroom:Nibin's Guide for Noobs
:regularshroom:some easy teks on bulk & grain prep. (my journal)

OfflineBoris
Viking Warrior, of Valour
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: TX. Flag
Re: Light intensity [Re: dead]
    #9229568 - 11/12/08 10:38 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

You want to stay away from incandescent lights, they fall under the worst spectrum of lighting for mushrooms. You wanna go with fluorescent lights. 12 on 12 off (Simulating night/day). I personally just turn it on while I'm awake, then off when I go to bed, simple.

I use this:

Walmart, for about $5 in the live fish/pet section.

If you have any more extensive questions about lighting, ask dead (The poster before me), he had a post with RR about lighting. I didn't pay attention much lol.

I do know that mushrooms need light. Asides from basically serving as a pinning trigger, and telling the mushrooms what direction to grow. It also supports aid with growth (Not like in plants tho). Not exactly sure the facts on how light benefits them, but I know lack of light will produce mushrooms that resemble those cultivated with high Co2 levels. (Thin stems, usually droop over, non healthy, ect)

--------------------
AMU

Terence McKenna Said:
"We have to create culture, don't watch TV, don't read magazines, don't even listen to NPR. Create your own roadshow. The nexus of space and time where you are now is the most immediate sector of your universe, and if you're worrying about Michael Jackson or Bill Clinton or somebody else, then you are disempowered, you're giving it all away to icons, icons which are maintained by an electronic media so that you want to dress like X or have lips like Y. This is shit-brained, this kind of thinking. That is all cultural diversion, and what is real is you and your friends and your associations, your highs, your orgasms, your hopes, your plans, your fears. And we are told 'no', we're unimportant, we're peripheral. 'Get a degree, get a job, get a this, get a that.' And then you're a player, you don't want to even play in that game. You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that's being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world."

Edited by Boris (11/12/08 10:45 AM)

Invisiblenoobieshroomie
Back again
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Not Too Sure Flag
Re: Light intensity [Re: Boris]
    #9229584 - 11/12/08 10:41 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

this is ideal

-noobie-

--------------------
AMU

Best Thread Ever
CapZilla said:
not sure what GE and FAE are but i should probably get some.

Citric said:
Your signature is wrong on colonization temps!

GOOD JUDGMENT COMES FROM EXPERIENCE
EXPERIENCE COMES FROM BAD JUDGMENT

ROOM TEMP 70-75 IS BEST FOR COLONIZATION
Thank you mycochef

OfflineBoris
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Light intensity [Re: noobieshroomie]
    #9229608 - 11/12/08 10:46 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

:werd: ^

--------------------
AMU

Terence McKenna Said:
"We have to create culture, don't watch TV, don't read magazines, don't even listen to NPR. Create your own roadshow. The nexus of space and time where you are now is the most immediate sector of your universe, and if you're worrying about Michael Jackson or Bill Clinton or somebody else, then you are disempowered, you're giving it all away to icons, icons which are maintained by an electronic media so that you want to dress like X or have lips like Y. This is shit-brained, this kind of thinking. That is all cultural diversion, and what is real is you and your friends and your associations, your highs, your orgasms, your hopes, your plans, your fears. And we are told 'no', we're unimportant, we're peripheral. 'Get a degree, get a job, get a this, get a that.' And then you're a player, you don't want to even play in that game. You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that's being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world."

Offlinealkylbenzene23
Indeed
 User Gallery

#9230188 - 11/12/08 12:28 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Thats what I figured :smile: there was a study where literally milliseconds was enough to initiate pinning.

--------------------
If you try to lick your cat while tripping, and they bite you, are you even?

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

#9230388 - 11/12/08 01:03 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

You're gonna hear all sorts of people saying that you need a certain type of lighting to get the best results.

I have never used any special light.
Just the light in you room will be fine.

Once you get your grow tek down you can play around with different grow parameters....different light, temps and substrates.

The best thing for beginners is to just use the light you have and give them 1-3 hours of light a day.

--------------------

Invisiblenoobieshroomie
Back again
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Not Too Sure Flag
    #9230454 - 11/12/08 01:14 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

niteowl im gonna do a little test
1 tub with 6500k light 12/12
and in a different room i will do 1 with just the light that comes thru the window
no set time just daylight hours
and i will post my results
thanks for all your advice:thumbup:

-noobie-

--------------------
AMU

Best Thread Ever
CapZilla said:
not sure what GE and FAE are but i should probably get some.

Citric said:
Your signature is wrong on colonization temps!

GOOD JUDGMENT COMES FROM EXPERIENCE
EXPERIENCE COMES FROM BAD JUDGMENT

ROOM TEMP 70-75 IS BEST FOR COLONIZATION
Thank you mycochef

Offlinej.guit.err
Success-er

#9230489 - 11/12/08 01:18 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

My test has been done. When I leave the lights on at random intervals for not very long, I get shitty fruits. They tend to be skinny ass stems and such. With light on at least 4 hours a day, they look fantastic. Could be conspiracy or coincidence...I'm not too sure.

--------------------
"We can't trust the sword of a thousand truths to a newb!"
-Looking for prints, anything will do besides B Plus and EQ!
-PM me your offers!

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

#9230533 - 11/12/08 01:24 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

You have to realize that most people that come here are trying to grow their first batch of shrooms.

They don't need any special lighting to get shrooms to grow.

Why cant you grasp this basic concept.

You may be able to get a slightly larger pinset with different lighting, but....bottom line....lighting is not needed to make shrooms grow.

Telling newbies that they have to have light in a certain frequency is utter fucking rubbish.

I have grown too many shrooms in my day with only the light in my closet and had great results.

Lighting is the least of a beginners worries.
Temp, RH and FAE are far more important than a certain frequency of light.

--------------------

Offlinej.guit.err
Success-er

#9230611 - 11/12/08 01:34 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Right, but leaving a light on for a couple hours a day is pretty easy. I wouldn't worry about what kind or intensity and such, but just give it light and you'll be happy.

--------------------
"We can't trust the sword of a thousand truths to a newb!"
-Looking for prints, anything will do besides B Plus and EQ!
-PM me your offers!

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Light intensity [Re: j.guit.err] * 1
    #9230668 - 11/12/08 01:40 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

The best results come from tweaking ALL the parameters to the growers benefit.  While a 'little' bit of light will do, more and brighter light is better.  In addition, high frequency light is better than low frequency light.

Furthermore, some strains will pin invitro with very little air exchange, while others require large amounts of fresh air to pin properly.  If we'll provide the best conditions for growth, which means near saturation humidity, lots of fresh air, and bright light, we'll get the best results, crop after crop.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

Re: Light intensity [Re: j.guit.err]
    #9230674 - 11/12/08 01:41 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

:thumbup:

--------------------

OfflineBoris
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9230735 - 11/12/08 01:48 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

:offtopicman:

Sorry, but good to see ya back Roger. Did you take a vacation ? :shrug: haven't seen ya around much for about a week, till now.

--------------------
AMU

Terence McKenna Said:

Offlinedead
grateful
Male User Gallery

#9230736 - 11/12/08 01:48 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Why not let the noobs decide for themselves, whether they want to use the best possible lighting from the start, or do they just give some random light to them?

It's not like the daylight lights are even expensive or anything. You can get CFL:s for a few bucks.

Weed grows too without any special light, but would you tell a noob weed grower to put his plants near a window to get sunlight or would you tell them to get a good HPS?

--------------------
"The third eye. You spend years doing everything you can to open it and then the damn thing opens and your friends laugh at you when you tell them you can see their souls behind their eyes burning like rainbows."

Links:

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

Re: Light intensity [Re: dead]
    #9230754 - 11/12/08 01:50 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

dead said:
Weed grows too without any special light, but would you tell a noob weed grower to put his plants near a window to get sunlight or would you tell them to get a good HPS?

Trying to compare a plant to a fungus is laughable.

--------------------

OfflineBoris
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9230775 - 11/12/08 01:54 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

it was a metaphor, not a comparison :lol:

--------------------
AMU

Terence McKenna Said:

Offlinedead
grateful
Male User Gallery

Re: Light intensity [Re: Boris]
    #9230816 - 11/12/08 01:59 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Boris said:
it was a metaphor, not a comparison :lol:

Exactly. :wink:

--------------------

Links:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom