Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibletony8404
Stranger
 User Gallery

I do not understand why this part of the process is so complicated...
    #9216908 - 11/10/08 08:57 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Hello everyone, well, this weekend i started a new batch of rye grain. the only problem was the store did not have more then 5lbs of rye berries so i bought 5 extra pounds of organic long brown rice except it looks really white to me.

So i went ahead and mixed two quart jars of the long brown rice with the rye berries and man was that stuff slimy i had to rinse the stuff after i did the soak and boil. it definitley helped.

but the problem i am having and have been having the last few batches is that when i pc my jars i find that the grains always seem to look like they have dried up majorly... i first thought that it was the pc i was using since i did not have a gauge on it to see when i was hitting 15 psi. so i bought a pc with the gauge built into the lid. i am able to get the needle right onto the 15psi marking and i usually pc for 1 hour up to 1.5 hours. Now last night the first 7 jars i pced i had the lids loose about 1.5 - two turns loose and when the pc was done i checked the jars after a bit of cooling and the grains looked like they were dried alot and looked like they were hard compared to when i first put them into the jars.... so the second batch i did some jars with the lid not loose and noticed a difference. should one not loosen the jar lids or should they be loosen by a half turn instead of 1.5 - 2 turns???

is anyone else having or had this problem if so can you help me out or let me know how you got passed this problem???

Here is the process i use when pcing....
  1. place the metal divider into the pc
  2. place 7 jars into the pc.
  3. put water into pc not much though just enough to where it touches the bottom of the jars or a bit up the side.
  4. i turn the stove up on the highest setting and place lid on without the weight.
  5. i wait till i see white steam coming out and then i put the weight on and let the psi go up to 15psi
  6. once at 15psi i turn the stove setting to half way and then some more until the psi is held constantly at 15 psi. then i set the timer for one hour sometimes i go one hour and a half.
  does that sound right?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineairborne robot
Stranger

Re: I do not understand why this part of the process is so complicated... [Re: tony8404]
    #9217099 - 11/10/08 09:38 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

If you have to mix rye with something WBS might be the best bet. I have never had good luck with grain rice. If you are having problems and want the advice of a newbie who has had good luck you can try and only PC for a hour at 15psi. Any time I went longer than that I had problems with dry seed and busted ones.

And with the jars I always tighten them and then take them back a 1/4 turn at most. Just enough for air to move, tight, but not snug

OfflineEmperor Reishi
Student of Wisdom
Male

Re: I do not understand why this part of the process is so complicated... [Re: tony8404]
    #9217116 - 11/10/08 09:41 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

imho an hour and a half is too long, and I dunno how far your metal divider holds the jars off the bottom but you want at least an inch or so of water in the pot, it's okay to touch the jars.

Also, I don't use the soak and boil tek, but I would go back and read.... I would think perhaps you would still put a little bit of water in your jars before your PC because your bound to lose some moisture when reheated (but I could be wrong here... read up) Hope that helps.

--------------------
EmperoR ReishI

Looking for:    Live Cultures: Maitake[sclerotia forming], Wood Ear[Auricularia Polytricha],            Prints: **Psilocybe mexicana,                                Reishi [other than red], Bioluminessent                                                                          Cubes & Pan Cyans

Available for trade:    Live cultures: Reishi[ganoderma lucidum], Shiitake[lentinula edodes], Chicken of the woods[Laetiporus                                            sulphureus], Enoki [Flammulina velutipes], Oyster [Pleurotus ostreatus], Lion's Mane [Hericium                                                            erinaceus]

InvisibleSmushroom
Avid Learner
Re: I do not understand why this part of the process is so complicated... [Re: Emperor Reishi]
    #9217152 - 11/10/08 09:49 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

As stated above WBS is better than whole grain rice. Rice is a lot softer of a grain and doesn't need to be soaked like rye/wbs. It will also degrade to paste a lot easier and be terribly hard to shake. Go with WBS (its also a lot cheaper than store bought rye and usually rice as well.)

Your grains will not look wet when they come out. Your grains are heated up to above boiling when PCing, when they cool down they will evaporate off all surface moisture, thus the dry appearance. They still retain the moisture they absorbed when soaking. You can verify this by opening a jar and squishing the grain, still soft like it was when it was soaked.

You don't want to add any water to the jars before PCing. The Tyvek won't let all that moisture escape and will end up condensing and pooling at the bottom of the jar. Standing water in the jar isn't good.

45 minutes at 15 psi is enough. 1.5 hours won't hurt it though.

Invisiblenoobieshroomie
Back again
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Not Too Sure Flag
Re: I do not understand why this part of the process is so complicated... [Re: Emperor Reishi]
    #9217165 - 11/10/08 09:52 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

grain rice will be sticky if PC'd too long
stick with straight rye or try wbs
also what type of lids are you using?tyvek,polyfil
just make sure you fully hydrate your grain before you PC

-noobie-

--------------------
AMU

Best Thread Ever
CapZilla said:
not sure what GE and FAE are but i should probably get some.

Citric said:
Your signature is wrong on colonization temps!

GOOD JUDGMENT COMES FROM EXPERIENCE
EXPERIENCE COMES FROM BAD JUDGMENT

ROOM TEMP 70-75 IS BEST FOR COLONIZATION
Thank you mycochef

OfflineStimpy913
Happy Happy Joy Joy
 User Gallery
Re: I do not understand why this part of the process is so complicated... [Re: noobieshroomie]
    #9217233 - 11/10/08 10:10 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Never tried it myself, but pretty sure that whole grain brown rice is prepared differently than rye.  Per 9er tek, I believe he actually cooks the rice before pcing it.  It prolly wouldn't be that easy to shake, maybe a little easier with rye ; however maybe the rice mixed with rye would offset the ryes superior crumbly texture?

--------------------
How to talk to cops

Invisibletony8404
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: I do not understand why this part of the process is so complicated... [Re: Stimpy913]
    #9217263 - 11/10/08 10:19 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

i am using regular metal lids with two holes in the lid and then i use tyvek to cover the lid and then put the ring on and tighten.  maybe if i pc for 45 minutes might make a difference. it just bothers me because before i pc the jars the grains look perfect and when there done the grains look like hard rice or hamster turds lol...

so my process of pcing is okay. it does not matter if i turn the stove all the way up at the beginning or if i gradually turn the heat up at the beginning and keep going ?

OfflineStimpy913
Happy Happy Joy Joy
 User Gallery
    #9217299 - 11/10/08 10:27 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

You don't want rye grain looking wet anyways. It should even feel dry, and be easy to shake up. This is one of teh reasons rye kicks so much ass.

--------------------
How to talk to cops

Invisiblenoobieshroomie
Back again
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9217310 - 11/10/08 10:29 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

i use wbs and lids like that but i have rtv in 1 hole
and i put on high from the get go so i dont think thats the problem
are your grains fully hydrated?

-noobie-

--------------------
AMU

Best Thread Ever
CapZilla said:

Citric said:

Thank you mycochef

Invisibleteknix
π“‚€βŸπ“…’π“π“…ƒπ“Š°π“‰‘ 𓁼𓆗⨻
 User Gallery

#9217326 - 11/10/08 10:32 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Do you PC it on high the whole time?

Invisiblenoobieshroomie
Back again
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: I do not understand why this part of the process is so complicated... [Re: teknix]
    #9217375 - 11/10/08 10:42 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

no once it gets to 15 i turn heat down
i also PC jars for 60 min

-noobie-

--------------------
AMU

Best Thread Ever
CapZilla said:

Citric said:

Thank you mycochef

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags