Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineb3jamboree
yes we have no portabellas
Male

Loc: 45th Parallel, MI
'super pasteurizing' or heat treatment of sawdust based substrates
    #9193808 - 11/06/08 07:29 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I have been thinking about how to maximize my production and my main problem is this: not enough hours in the day, or cooker capacity to sterilize enough sawdust blocks.

I have three cookers in which I can do 10 blocks between them. I run blocks for 3-4 hours so taking into mind cool down and heat up I can only do 20-30 blocks a day, usually 20. This would be a good number but I also have to do grain and sawdust spawn, which takes up time and cooker space.

I think my solution is to perfect a method of 'super pasteurizing' or heat sterilizing blocks some other way than in the pressure cooker. I think I recall a guy up in Canada who did this but I forget who.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Any ideas on what kind of set-up I could create?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedenger
Mycelium keeper
Male User Gallery

Loc: Unites States of Dreams
Re: 'super pasteurizing' or heat treatment of sawdust based substrates [Re: b3jamboree]
    #9193892 - 11/06/08 08:04 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I hate to be the negative voice, but all my experiments with trying to pasteurize supplemented sawdust failed miserably. Nasty stuff just kept creeping up.

I think the best result I had was when I pasteurized a block for 2 hours, then let it sit for 24 hours at room temp. and pasteurized again for 3 hours. But the success rate was only about 60%, so I decided against it.

A large autoclave (retort for canning industry) is a big investment, but it sounds like a necessary one. They do come by on eBay once in a while.

Offlinesolumvita
Q.B.E.
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Africa
Trusted Cultivator
Re: 'super pasteurizing' or heat treatment of sawdust based substrates [Re: denger]
    #9201408 - 11/07/08 10:54 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

You could use a burner, steel drum and steam.  Although this will only get to 100 degrees C or according to altitude if you steam a block for 12-14 hours you have a really low contam rate, with good technique you can get below 1% contam per batch.

Pipe the steam from boiling water in a barrel, the barrel is not sealed as you have an open-ended pipe on the outlet, pipe this to a stack of blocks, simplest is plastic crates stacked on each other (allowing for steam to travel between the bags).  Cover the stack tightly and insulate well.  One drum should be able to do 1000 bags a day.  Not sure how big you want to go.

--------------------
One of these days all the answers will be revealed until then we learn from each other!

www.mushrush.co.za

Invisiblelipa

Trusted Cultivator
Re: 'super pasteurizing' or heat treatment of sawdust based substrates [Re: denger]
    #9202689 - 11/07/08 03:12 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

denger said:
I hate to be the negative voice, but all my experiments with trying to pasteurize supplemented sawdust failed miserably. Nasty stuff just kept creeping up.

I think the best result I had was when I pasteurized a block for 2 hours, then let it sit for 24 hours at room temp. and pasteurized again for 3 hours. But the success rate was only about 60%, so I decided against it.

A large autoclave (retort for canning industry) is a big investment, but it sounds like a necessary one. They do come by on eBay once in a while.

This is not 'super pasteurizing' . Thats why you failed.  Super pasteurizing takes at least 12 hours . Pasteurizing takes  less time.

Lipa

Solumvita has the right stuff. Good preview of the process.

Offlinex7x_x7x
x7x, my problem child.
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: buenos aires Flag
Re: 'super pasteurizing' or heat treatment of sawdust based substrates [Re: lipa]
    #9203001 - 11/07/08 04:17 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

solar ovens? work for free and reach 121 celsius

--------------------
cultivando en la miseria

SuctoSpore® Pictorial Tek

x7x_x7x@shroomery.org

carl_jung_in_lsd@yahoo.com

koh samui and oak ridge are my favourite strains

Offlinefalcon
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: 'super pasteurizing' or heat treatment of sawdust based substrates [Re: b3jamboree]
    #9204555 - 11/07/08 08:54 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

The pics have been edited out of Micololo2's post but the description is still there, http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/5540921/page/0/fpart/1/vc/1.

He was doing a bunch of blocks at time in a 55 gallon drum at low pressure.

OfflineParesthesia
Stranger
Male

Loc: Texas
Re: 'super pasteurizing' or heat treatment of sawdust based substrates [Re: x7x_x7x]
    #9216436 - 11/10/08 05:26 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

x7x_x7x said:
solar ovens? work for free and reach 121 celsius

This is something I've considered, and I'd like to explore that idea.  The main problems with that are of energy and capacity.  You're relying on the sun being available for many hours, and you'd need a HUGE mirror if you want to pasteurize more than one bag at a time!

--------------------
"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time."

- T. S. Eliot

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder