Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMunkyKing
journeyman

Loc: Florida
Re: Honey Mycellium Experiment in Progress
    #92128 - 02/04/00 09:06 PM (24 years, 1 month ago)

okay, i just recently completed a liquid mycelium honey experiment and thought i'd post the results.

about a week ago i ran across the honey idea while perusing the boards, and unable to find anything concrete -- other than use 1tsp per pint of water -- i decided to take matters into my own head.

i took regular "Sue Bee" clover honey, dropped about a tsp into about a pint of water which was sterilized in a microwave in a presterilized mayonaise jar for 8 minutes (i put seran wrap around the lid with a hole in the top for venting since metal lids are not microwave friendly). I then let the liquid cool for a few hours, innoculated the honey water with some PF spores, put the real lid on (which i had sterilized by boiling for 10-15 minutes -- just make sure you remove the liner in the lid or it will boil out).

after about a day i noticed the first signs of life. after about three days, the growth had reached its stalling point, and i waited about three more days just to see.

finally, i prepared substrate as described in the MMGG, sterlized a syringe and filled it with +10cc of mycelial liquid -- making sure to get as much of the fuzz and balls as I could. The results? After about three hours I noticed the first definite signs of colonization... after about thirty six hours, the growth was very noticeable (around 5-10% colonized). And that is as of this morning.

Basically, i'm pleased. Next time i will make sure to use a smaller jar, as the mayo jar was almost too big for the syringe. I also read somewhere about yellow honey from a health food store being more beneficial for mycelial growth.

I've still got a decent amount of liquid left and am preparing to try my hand at the 9er Tek with honey water instead of shroom water -- seeing as how I don't have any shrooms yet, but plenty of honey water.

As time progresses, i will definitely update my results. :B

------------------
I always thought that "Stop, Drop, and Roll" was a way to save your life if you caught on fire, but then I realized my grade school teachers were advocating my later drug use.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: Honey Mycellium Experiment in Progress [Re: MunkyKing]
    #92131 - 02/05/00 10:28 AM (24 years, 1 month ago)

Nice work MunkeyKing, but do you care to describe how much mycellium was floating about and what it looked like?

My friend has a few jars going, 1 tsp per a 1/2 pt jar. A few days and there is some dandruffy/flake stuff at the bottom, but it doesn't look like much.

OfflineMunkyKing
journeyman

#92132 - 02/05/00 02:50 AM (24 years, 1 month ago)

i can definitely describe it for you Buffalo Trance. To begin with, something i neglected to mention earlier, i innoculated the water with about 2cc of the spore syringe -- that way if i failed, i would have enough to try again... and again. For the first day or two all i had was some sediment in the bottom, i was sure i failed. But by the end of the third day when i checked on the growth, there were little fluffy white balls with a definite center to them. They tended to cluster and looked off white -- but that could be because the water is a pale yellow.

i swirled them around about twice a day to break it up and hopefully promote a more even growth. Oh, one other thing, when i check the new cakes, the mycelial growth has almost doubled since this morning! (about 18 hours) I'm sure that by the middle of next week i'll have two more cakes ready to birth!

more good news too: my first set of cakes -- which i impatiently birthed too early -- are pinning and should have some harvestable fruit by Valentines Day... what better way to spend the holiday...

------------------
I always thought that "Stop, Drop, and Roll" was a way to save your life if you caught on fire, but then I realized my grade school teachers were advocating my later drug use.

OfflineboO
Female User Gallery

#92133 - 02/05/00 11:56 AM (24 years, 1 month ago)

buffalo trance, i know what you're talking about.

i had experimented with the honey tek as well...i had innoculated about 2cc of water into a jar filled with 250ml water and 1 tsp. of honey...

after about 6 days now all i have are like dandruffy flakes at the bottom as well, and they start to cloud around after i shake it and hte marble (which i put in there so it would agitate the liquid) just scatters it..

anyways, is this any sign of growth? it did get cloudy...

here's the picture...

cheers..

[This message has been edited by boO (edited February 05, 2000).]

Offlineoneoverzero
veteran
Loc: Cyber Space
    #92134 - 02/05/00 12:47 PM (24 years, 1 month ago)

It's so axenic...

--------------------
[red]0011 0001 0010 1111 0011 0000[/red]

Anonymous

#92135 - 02/05/00 01:02 PM (24 years, 1 month ago)

Well, the marble isn't really necessary. The stuff will swish with a good couple rotations.

MunkeyKing- how over are you swishing your jars about? I wonder if agitating too much would prevent mycellium from forming.
(damn impatient monster I am, I can't stop swishing)

thanks for you help everyone, this thread is turning out to be pretty interesting to me. If my friend gets liquid mycellium working, it won't be long before he can colonize those big-ass spawn bags.

OfflineboO
Female User Gallery

#92136 - 02/05/00 02:17 PM (24 years, 1 month ago)

hrm i put the marble in there cause in the other liquid mycelium teks it says to put bits of glass in there so u can shake it up a bit more....so i put the marble there just for "kicks" i guess :tongue:

anyways, i was wondering if those who tried the honey tek get the same results as me...as in if their liquid looks similar to mine...i'd like to know so i can either 1. throw this shit out or 2. continue on...

cheers

Anonymous

#92137 - 02/05/00 02:35 PM (24 years, 1 month ago)

Well, I don't know about you shroomery people, but in my friends study of mycology alot of spores will form into mycelium in honey water. 1 Tbs per 1/2 pint jar works for him. Last time he did some shittake and he did 2 placebo jars as well. This is a big tip...first time Honey Water people should make the placebos to compare...(just a note...one had mineral and one tap. The tap water started growing some nasty bacteria). The growth is not apparent until the 4th day. On the 4th day the stuff is clumped together. By the 5-6th day it is time to get to pressure cooking...My friend was also thinking...throwing 4 jars of water into a bulk bag might be kind of neat. Someone should get some portabellos and try that out :wink:

Anonymous

#92138 - 02/05/00 06:44 PM (24 years, 1 month ago)

Just for your experiments. Paul Stamets of MMGG has a similar liquid slurry process but I think it used blackstrap molassis (spelling?)... and possibly one more ingredient.

In addition this is how the Chinese do a lot of mass mushroom farming, but they have large vats and have them with aeration (oxygenation) to improve growth.

Low Tech-High Volume, the Chinese way.

Anonymous

#92139 - 02/05/00 07:03 PM (24 years, 1 month ago)

well boO your jar is a lot more yellow than my friends, if I recall. Is that the honey, or something else?

I'm worried the flakes may be wax from the honey.. who knows. its only been a few days for my friend. But your coloration there, if it came in slow might be some sort of contam.

I like honey more than molasses as its in every kitchen I know. Plus I love the honey bear. So I'd like to see my friend get it working.
thanks utinsfey, did I mention my friend grows shiitakes too? What a concidence.

Offlineoneoverzero
veteran
Loc: Cyber Space
    #92140 - 02/08/00 08:56 PM (24 years, 1 month ago)

It's so dramatic...

--------------------
[red]0011 0001 0010 1111 0011 0000[/red]

OfflineMind Mage
    #92141 - 02/09/00 02:07 AM (24 years, 1 month ago)

MunkyKing: How big were those balls, I've had mine for about 3days and the largest is about 2 milimeterms. and the rest are about .5mm.

BTW:Off of a 12oz bottel, could you just drink it and trip? It seems like to little to trip off of. anyone tried it?

--------------------
. . . . . . . . . . . .

OfflineMunkyKing
journeyman

#92142 - 02/09/00 04:33 AM (24 years, 1 month ago)

The balls in my liquid culture were probably an average of about 75mm. I just started antoher culture about three days ago and haven't experienced the same rate of growth. Maybe i got lucky the first time around.

However, the substrates I innoculated with the liquid mycelium are already about 75% colonized. I also prepared some substrate as per the 9er tek: it started slow, but seems to be moving pretty fast. Those are about three days old as well.

And my birthed cakes are beginning to fruit... :biggrin: my first harvest!

i have a question for every one -- on my birthed cakes i have on three out of the four some little (about 1-1.5cm diam) light golden "bulbs" forming. Is this contamination or an abhort?

also, what is the optimum temperature for fruiting? i've been using two ice packs to drop the temp and shock them... should i leave the icepacks out now, or continue to use em?

------------------

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
    #92143 - 02/09/00 06:45 AM (24 years, 1 month ago)

Cold shocking is only neccessarry to induce pinning. Once they have pinned, continue with normal temps (assuming they are in the 70-85 deg F range). You may want to cold shock again for a second flush after everything has been plucked off. Setting the cakes directly on moist perlite after the first flush and removing them when you see more pins is a good way to keep them hydrated and ensure extra flushes. I've seen uncased cakes yield 4-5 flushes like this.
Great thread BTW

------------------
-From a registered Mad Scientist

"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obiwan Kenobi (also a Mad Scientist tm)

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

OfflineboO
Female User Gallery

#92144 - 02/09/00 11:38 AM (24 years, 1 month ago)

hello

i started a new honey liquid jar again just 2 days ago. when i compared the colors of the other jar which i posted the pic of and the new one, it did get cloudy abit....but nothing has happened to that jar...fortunately wiht the new jar, i am seeing some white "balls." hopefully this will mean something :smile:

cheers

if any of u guys care to see a pic, just ask and i'll gladly take pictures :tongue:

OfflineMind Mage
    #92145 - 02/09/00 04:43 PM (24 years, 1 month ago)

I'd love to see some pics...

--------------------
. . . . . . . . . . . .

OfflineFonz
enthusiast
    #92146 - 02/09/00 05:53 PM (24 years, 1 month ago)

Well, Good News!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My idea about using a cork for the honey mycellium water container seems to have worked wonderfully. I sterilized a few syringes last Friday and filled them with the honey mycellium water from the corked beer bottle. Not one jar is contaminated. Since I have so much solution I was very very generous to each jar by giving 3 or 4 ml to each. This is the greatest thing that ever happened to my whole shroom garden.

By the way, I was just at the local brew store and the hand held corker I own is only $4.99. Trust me, this is cool, it really works.

[This message has been edited by Fonz (edited February 09, 2000).]

Anonymous

#92147 - 02/25/00 10:45 AM (24 years, 1 month ago)

yo Fonz, good work. But did you ever have problems with the corks popping out during sterliziation? I've had problems, and haven't been able to find a way to brace them. Maybe the corks aren't tight enough?

Do you know much about corking? I'm wondering if after I put that cork in, if I put a beercap on that would hold it in.

Also, the bottles are tipped on their side when pressuring cooking, in case that would matter.

Anonymous

#92148 - 02/25/00 12:26 AM (24 years, 1 month ago)

(uses his internal physics lab)

Well, it's obvious there's a pressure increase
in your bottles, which would be nullified
by a hole at the top of the bottle, but if it
were horizontal, wouldn't water spew out the
hole, or did you put holes in the tops?

bonghits anyone?

Anonymous

#92149 - 02/25/00 12:34 AM (24 years, 1 month ago)

Actually I tested one at an angle so that the liquid level was below the cork and it had problems too. But the hole was blocked by a brace.. so I'll experiment with it at an angle with the hole open.

But if Fonz is having to tip his too (which he'd have to, unless he has a really tall p.cooker) than that won't do it U'pope.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale