Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Anonymous #1

Bad Circulation
    #9050232 - 10/08/08 08:24 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

My arms get purple with reddish spots when I go out in the cold, but when I rub them and warm them up they get a lot better.

My legs get red and splotchy when I'm in the shower, and sometimes just when I stand for a little while... but the problem is not nearly as bad in the summer.

A lot of times when I'm at school or work, I'll raise my hands above my head for a minute, and my arms will get much less red for a minute or two, but when they are lowered to my side the blood rushes right back to them

I have been to the doctor, and diagnosed with raynaud's, but it doesn't really seem like I have that; the closest thing I could find that looked like what I have is "rythromelalgia", but my skin doesn't ever look nearly as affected as most of those pictures.

More often than not, my skin is normal when I am at home, but when I leave it always seems to get somewhat worse :frown:

I don't know what to do.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblecreekfreek
Certified phunologist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Right about here
Re: Bad Circulation [Re: Anonymous #1]
    #9050274 - 10/08/08 08:30 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

See another doctor.

Offline0xYg3n
topdawg
 User Gallery

#9053209 - 10/09/08 11:44 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah, could be blood clots.

Offlinefawhit
Mad as you
Male User Gallery

Loc: Great White North
Re: Bad Circulation [Re: 0xYg3n]
    #9053293 - 10/09/08 12:05 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

When I am in a hot shower for more then 10 mins my skin will get red and blotchy all over. Nowadays I start of with a slightly warm shower and finish it off with freezing cold. It has helped a lot with my circulation.

--------------------

Offline0xYg3n
topdawg
 User Gallery

Re: Bad Circulation [Re: fawhit]
    #9053343 - 10/09/08 12:18 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Potassium, vitamin e, fish oil, coenzyme q10 all help support heart and circulation health.  Among other things.

Invisibleaccountant
Stranger
Female User Gallery

#9152332 - 10/29/08 01:16 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Take Gingko Biloba look into it

Offline0xYg3n
topdawg
 User Gallery

Re: Bad Circulation [Re: accountant]
    #9153488 - 10/29/08 10:12 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Gingko Biloba increases the blood flow in your brain.  What else am I suppose to learn?

Invisibleaccountant
Stranger
Female User Gallery

#9153829 - 10/29/08 11:44 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I went to a Doctor and they suggested Ginkgo for my Raynaud's.  I have had fewer outbreaks than normal after about a month of taking it with meals.  Minimal difference as of yet, but it is recommended for Raynaud's.

Offline0xYg3n
topdawg
 User Gallery

#9154495 - 10/29/08 02:44 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Sounds like your doctor is just telling you a bunch of crap. :shrug:

InvisibleChiefGreenLeaf

#9154614 - 10/29/08 03:14 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Ginko dilates the blood vessels. it pumps more blood to every place in your body.

Invisibleaccountant
Stranger
Female User Gallery

Re: Bad Circulation [Re: ChiefGreenLeaf]
    #9154708 - 10/29/08 03:30 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

With Raynaud's you want more circulation to your extremities.  Why are you so into this thread?  Look up Raynaud's and Gingko in the same search.

THAT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE TO THE POST ABOVE YOURS

Edited by accountant (10/29/08 03:31 PM)

InvisibleChiefGreenLeaf

#9154781 - 10/29/08 03:43 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

thats what i figured, this dude needs to get his facts straight

Offline0xYg3n
topdawg
 User Gallery

Re: Bad Circulation [Re: ChiefGreenLeaf]
    #9171282 - 11/02/08 05:19 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Raynaud's disease
Results from one clinical trial suggest that Ginkgo biloba may be effective in reducing the number of Raynaud's attacks in patients suffering from Raynaud's disease. In order to confirm these results, further clinical trials are required.

Offline0xYg3n
topdawg
 User Gallery

#9171286 - 11/02/08 05:21 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Okay, so it works. I was just surprised. :rolleyes:

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/563935

Ginkgo Biloba Less Effective for Raynaud's Disease Than Nifedipine

Richard Hyer

October 8, 2007 (Chicago) — The blanching, cyanosis, and rubor in the hands known as Raynaud's disease is often treated with the calcium channel blocker nifedipine, but it has been shown that it can also be effectively treated with ginkgo biloba extract. A poster presented at the American Academy of Family Physicians Annual Scientific Assembly reported on a randomized trial performed in Korea to compare the efficacy of the two therapies.

The trial concluded that that nifedipine SR was pharmacologically more effective than ginkgo biloba, although both had a positive effect on disease symptoms. The poster's lead author was Whan-Seok Choi of the Catholic University School of Medicine in Seoul.

Medscape Family Medicine asked the opinion of Lynn Nevin, MD, of White Cloud, Michigan. Dr. Nevin is on leave from a practice at a federally qualified health center.

"I'm surprised ginkgo worked at all,"

Patients have asked her about ginkgo, Dr. Nevin reported, but never specifically for Raynaud's disease. Medscape Family Medicine wondered whether, having read the poster, Dr. Nevin would now direct a patient with Raynaud's to ginkgo?

"That's correct," she declared, "especially if for some reason they did not want to use a calcium channel blocker."

Raynaud's disease was first described in 1862 and, according to the poster, currently has a prevalence of about 5% in primary care settings. It is typically treated with lifestyle modification and nifedipine. No studies comparing the efficacy of nifedipine with ginkgo biloba have previously been done in Korea.

This was a randomized, phase 4, multicenter, flexible-dose, open study. Patients (N = 134) were at least 18 years of age, of both sexes, and had confirmed diagnosis of Raynaud's disease. Exclusion criteria included previous or present medical conditions, previous or concomitant medication (including beta-blockers, H2 blockers, calcium channel blockers, and nitrates), and any laboratory abnormalities such as creatinine or RA factor.

Patients were selected from 3 clinical trial centers and randomly assigned to either the nifedipine SR group (N) or the ginkgo biloba extract group (G). After a 2-week run-in period, patients received treatment for 8 weeks. The primary efficacy evaluation was observed percentage change in the attack rate between the reference value before treatment and after, when patients were exposed to a condition likely to cause an attack from Raynaud's. Comparisons were based on therapeutic evaluation, patient observations, and change in quality of life. A safety evaluation was also made.

Of the 134 patients in the total intent-to-treat population, 64 completed the trial (24 in group N, 22 in group G).

According to the poster, the percentage change of attack rate after 8 weeks of treatment was 50.1% in the group N and 31% in the group G. The improvement rate was more rapid in group N. On the basis of thermographic assessment, nifedipine "prevented the reduction of blood flow and contributed to recovery of blood flow after cold challenge in patients with Raynaud's disease more effectively than ginkgo" (P = .027). However, both agents were well tolerated without serious adverse events.

When asked whether it would occur to her to prescribe ginkgo biloba for Raynaud's Syndrome, conference attendee Beth Boyer Vehre, MD, of Greenville, Ohio, a family doctor at a federally qualified health center, told Medscape Family Medicine, "It wouldn't have occurred to me, no," she said, "and I try to keep up on alternative medicine.

"... If the patient felt strongly about not using the nifedipine, I probably would tell them [gingko] is something you could use, but it's not as effective," Dr. Boyer said. "[T]his is the only study I've seen on it," she added. "It's a good study; you can tell they put a lot of work into it. I think they did a beautiful job of demonstrating what they're doing."

American Academy of Family Physicians 2007 Annual Scientific Assembly. Presented October 6, 2007.

Edited by 0xYg3n (11/02/08 05:29 AM)

Anonymous #1

#9205097 - 11/07/08 11:00 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I went to the doctor today, and heard some really surprising news.

He thinks I have a hole in my heart.

I actually went to the same clinic 2 weeks ago, only to hear that it was nothing to worry about.  When I came back today for a checkup (something unrelated), I saw a different doctor and told him the circulation problems I was having, and he seemed more concerned.  He took my heartbeat, and after listening to my heartbeat and checking blood pressure (high), he told me he thinks I have a hole in my heart. 

So he hooked me up to an EKG, putting wires and sensors all over my chest, arms and legs, and looked at the results, talked to a cardiologist, and they both think that I probably have a congenital heart defect (from birth).

I have an apointment to get an eco cardiograph and chest x-rays on monday.  I asked what would happen if I did have the hole, and he chuckled and said "I have no idea".  So I'm thinking I can probably have corrective surgery... I've done a little research and it's usually pretty effective.

Anybody have any advice, or experience with anything like this?

All I'm doing right now is eating healthy - I don't think I'll drink until after my hospital visit either.  I'm not getting too worked up over this, but I'm a little worried... but also a little relieved to finally figure out what might be the cause for the circulatory problems: low levels of oxygen in blood.  I've been having muscle spasms too, and wonder if they're also related.

I guess I'll find out

Anonymous #1

#9212954 - 11/09/08 04:55 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

anybody have any advice or comments?

i'm starting to think nobody cares :frown:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order